• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye, Drake, Justin Beiber rumored to be skipping out on the Grammys this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazen

Shit, this is one of the few times its not even about race. Things like the metal category they've never even gotten close to right, and its nuts how a band like Radiohead never got an album of the year.

Its the Starbucks..nope...Its the Dunkin Donuts of critical acclaim.

Honestly the VMAs are more authoritative than the Grammys

You know, whoever's the top act at Coachella is probably more "of the moment" than what the Grammys say

I'm surprised it took this long. The Grammys have been a joke for decades, and stars boycotting the event is the easiest way to push changes.

They seem incredibly focused in pushing predetermined industry stars, and very rarely are there any meaningful surprises. They're completely outdated, yet are more reliant on popular culture than any other show.

Kanye should have done this a long time ago. Kept whining about not caring about grammys to the point where it was clear he cared a lot.

Better late than never though.

DOWN

Banned
A little weird seeing people say "Grammys didn't pick this person I like more so they're shit" or "Grammys didn't honor this rather unknown fav of mine so they're shit"

It's a ceremony put on by the major labels and businesses that popularize large artists and publicly lauded ones. This isn't the ceremony where the unpopular artists are gonna score fulfillment.

Kibbles

"1989" beat "To Pimp a Butterfly" for Album of the Year.

Apparently, making a universally acclaimed album not only by critics but also academics and Obama isn't good enough for the Grammys.

That's because Taylor was sucking up to the Grammys. I like her and follow her as an artist but she takes too much validation in these dumbass awards. She did a Grammy pro music session beforehand and talked about how she cried when Red didn't win and changed her music so it was more "sonically cohesive" and some bullshit.

riotous

Banned
Industry vets fill out a registration form and then get to vote; that's pretty much how both Grammy's and other award shows work like the Oscars.

The people who actually bother to vote are likely mostly old bored people, and they could be anyone from a former star to a guy who worked on mastering albums in the 80s.

It's always been so silly to get upset about awards shows particularly when people seem to pay zero attention to how they work; if you want better rap artists to win Grammys you need to get more fans of rap who are current or former industry types to register as voters.

It's not a scientifically sound poll, it's a rather random voting system. Who gives a fuck?

Maybe 20 years ago it actually mattered, but these award shows are a platform to air commercials these days and barely do anything to actually promote artists since the dawn of the internet.

Omadahl

Banned
The Grammys have always been a joke. They were handing them out to crooners doing covers while The Beatles were pumping out amazing original music. I can't figure out how it's lasted this long.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Reminder: Mackelmore won best rap album over Good Kid, Maad City.

And Mackelmore's album was more culturally relevant...Grammys this year nominated Bieber and Drake for AOTY, but otherwise they are fine.

Apparently, making a universally acclaimed album not only by critics but also academics and Obama isn't good enough for the Grammys.

I wish Kendrick had won too, but 1989 is a very spectacular album as well plus it has more radio play.

Bronx-Man

Banned
And Mackelmore's album was more culturally relevant...Grammys this year nominated Bieber and Drake for AOTY, but otherwise they are fine.

I wish Kendrick had won too, but 1989 is a very spectacular album as well plus it has more radio play.
Mackelmore will never make anything as culturally relevant as Kendrick. What a ridiculous opinion.

And 1989 was mediocre at best.

to pimp a butterfly was pretty bad though, probably kendricks' worst work and has zero replay value.

Bronx-Man

Banned
to pimp a butterfly was pretty bad though, probably kendricks' worst work and has zero replay value.

VO3HjlL.gif

It's true. kendrick after section 80 - mad hype, kendrick after GKMC - people saying he could be a legend, kendrick after tpab - he fell off and no one's checking for him anymore.

Goldboy

It's true. kendrick after section 80 - mad hype, kendrick after GKMC - people saying he could be a legend, kendrick after tpab - he fell off and no one's checking for him anymore.

Whether or not you liked TPAB, Kendrick is still huge and TPAB was received really well by most people.

Dawg.

No.

His album just got inducted into Harvard's inaugural hip-hop classic library, one of four, alongside Illmatic, Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, and Low End Theory.

So, you're deluded if you think he fell off and no one cares.

robotrock

Banned
I see people say the "zero replay value" thing often with TPAB and the only way I can kind of see what they're going for is if they refuse to skip the Tupac interview at the end of Mortal Man on repeat listens.

Had a friend too who loved GKMC but disliked TPAB for kendrick going "2political"....smh

Dawg.

No.

His album just got inducted into Harvard's inaugural hip-hop classic library, one of four, alongside Illmatic, Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, and Low End Theory.

So, you're deluded if you think he fell off and no one cares.

How is Harvard an authority on what's popular or good?

...I think it's funny that you say zero replay value when I re-listen to this album cover to cover at least twice a week and never get tired of it, always finding new, interesting things in every single song.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Yeah Ok Computer lost to Paula Cole. They've been a joke for a long time. Only Kanye rates out of the people mentioned though.

Randam

What is a relevant music award?

And looking forward to Metallica's performance.
Would be awesome if they played "so what" like they did on MTV back then.

Weird that they'd skip out on the Grammys this year when the artists themselves have to submit their work for consideration... So they all submitted their work for consideration, Drake and Justin get nods in the Album of the Year category, and THEN decide to skip out?

Seems strange.....

WaffleTaco

Mackelmore will never make anything as culturally relevant as Kendrick. What a ridiculous opinion.

And 1989 was mediocre at best.

Mackelmore's Thrift Shop was ridiculously popular. Also Same Love was very culturally important to the Gay Right's movement. I loved Good Kid Madd CIty, and it is the better album, but it didn't leave an impact at all.

1989 is amazing and spawn five hit singles with three at #1. There are very few artists that can do that for the same album. I also loved a majority of her non-singles. If you don't like Taylor Swift, than of course you wouldn't like her album, but it was one of the best pop albums released this decade.

Zero315

Banned
Mackelmore's Thrift Shop was ridiculously popular. Also Same Love was very culturally important to the Gay Right's movement. I loved Good Kid Madd CIty, and it is the better album, but it didn't leave an impact at all.

1989 is amazing and spawn five hit singles with three at #1. There are very few artists that can do that for the same album. I also loved a majority of her non-singles. If you don't like Taylor Swift, than of course you wouldn't like her album, but it was one of the best pop albums released this decade.

As a gay man, GKMC made more of an impact on me than the fucking heavy handed, wagon jumping Same Love. Same Love is trash except for the chorus.

The Grammys aren't supposed to be about popularity or who sells more, it's supposed to be about who made better music.

Cranster

Banned
The fact that artists like Kanye West and Justin Bieber have won Grammy's when artists like Queen, The Cars, Rush, Def Leppard ect. have not received one or been nominated should tell you that the Grammy's suck.

WaffleTaco

As a gay man, GKMC made more of an impact on me than the fucking heavy handed, wagon jumping Same Love. Same Love is trash except for the chorus.

The Grammys aren't supposed to be about popularity or who sells more, it's supposed to be about who made better music.
Well that is you personally, and wagon jumping? Seriously get off your high horse and realised that Macklemore did more for you than Kendrick did or ever will and he is partly why gay rights are actually much better in America now. And no it is not trash lol.

The fact that artists like Kanye West and Justin Bieber have won Grammy's when artists like Queen, The Cars, Rush, Def Leppard ect. have not received one or been nominated should tell you that the Grammy's suck.

Oh boo hoo I don't like x Artist and I like x Artist more which is why the grammy's suck. Seriously get off your high horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom