• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye, Drake, Justin Beiber rumored to be skipping out on the Grammys this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to TMZ:
Kanye West, Justin Bieber and other big stars are going to be MIA from the Grammys, and we know why.

It started with Frank Ocean, who many think had the best album of the year, but didn't even bother submitting it for Grammy consideration. Ocean says he thinks the Grammys are a dinosaur that doesn't represent young, black artists.

We're told Justin Bieber, who's nominated for 4 Grammys, plans to be somewhere other than the Grammys a week from Sunday. As for why, we're told he just doesn't think the Grammys are relevant or representative, especially when it comes to young singers.
Drake has 8 nominations but we're told he also doesn't plan to be there for the same reason as Justin.

As for Kanye, who's got 8 noms, one source said, "Let's put it this way. He's received 21 Grammys, but when he was head-to-head against a white singer, he never won."

Our sources say it's not like the Oscars ... there's no real anger, it's just that a lot of younger singers think the Grammys are out of touch and arguably irrelevant.
They could all change their minds and show up, but we're told as of now the plan is to take a raincheck.

I mean, I'm all for the Grammys shaking up their voting process because right now, they don't reward artistry in major categories. Anyone who is immersed into music cultures knows how irrelevant the Grammys are because of how shitty the nominations and winners are. Like, I'd venture it's a lock "Views" is going to win Rap Record of the Year despite being shit, The Chainsmokers are going to win Best New Artist, Adele's going to sweep likely, etc.

It's a shitshow, and I think that a "shock" is exactly what they need to know they're becoming worse than bad, they're becoming irrelevant.

see5harp

We already knew the grammys were shit which is why it's sad that Kanye actually thought those awards he won meant anything to begin with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think winning a Grammy is anywhere near as relevant as the Oscars. Winning a Grammy barely means anything. Like its worth less than a Golden Globe is.

Slayven

simpsons-grammy-o.gif

Servbot24

Banned
Good. Grammys seems like it's run by old white dudes who still think Rolling Stone magazine matters, trying to figure out pop music from 3 years ago.

Zaph

Seems like a completely reasonable response. Why go out of your way to devote time to something that doesn't go out of its way to stay relevant?

The Grammies are shit because a lot of deserving artists never get a chance to get nominated. They give Grammies to artists that don't deserve anything to be honest. A bunch of trashy forgettable music.

If the Grammy's were based on musical talent, these guys would not be invited anyway, nor pretty much any of the other "talent" who are nominated. People are nominated for being famous and for how many viewers you can attract, and if you don't like it, then don't go I guess, but don't act like you're making a stand for young talented musicians who have never been represented at the Grammys.

Koodo

Banned
The Grammy's demonstrated this precisely by nominating Bieber and Drake. There's absolutely no aspect of those two albums that deserves an AOTY nom.

Snagret

The Grammys fucking suck, they have absolutely nothing interesting or relevant to say aside from rewarding artists for being on top of the charts. The laziest and least-risky award show of the award show circuit, and that's a pretty low bar to shimmy under.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
All these old washed up has-beens mad Tee Grizzley going to get single of the year so preemptively making up excuses smh.

Snagret

I want pitchfork to change their TLOP review to the same video of the monkey drinking his own piss they posted for the 0.0 review of Jet's Shine On
Hmmm...there's one reason in particular that's jumping out at me that this might not be the best thing...y'know, optics wise.

TLOP is bad though, I agree

Rembrandt

Banned
If the Grammy's were based on musical talent, these guys would not be invited anyway, nor pretty much any of the other "talent" who are nominated. People are nominated for being famous and for how many viewers you can attract, and if you don't like it, then don't go I guess, but don't act like you're making a stand for young talented musicians who have never been represented at the Grammys.

I want pitchfork to change their TLOP review to the same video of the monkey drinking his own piss they posted for the 0.0 review of Jet's Shine On
🙄🙄🙄🙄

Thewonandonly

"1989" beat "To Pimp a Butterfly" for Album of the Year.

Apparently, making a universally acclaimed album not only by critics but also academics and Obama isn't good enough for the Grammys.
Ya but 1989 is about growing up and the struggles that come with relatships and stuff ;)

When that habbened I realized the Grammys suck becuase TPAB is the greatest rap album ever in my opinion, while 1989 while Mabey good I don't is already forgotten in the pop music scene

Gh1ZX3V.gif

see5harp

Okay I take that back Puff Daddy won over wu tang forever. Hell, Puff Daddy won over Wyclef's amazing solo album too.

Probably the worst of the major awards, completely out of touch with the music that's actually been critically acclaimed and instead always nominates whatever is mainstream

JABEE

The Grammys have always been about old record guys putting young independent artists in their place.

Look at the songs that won Grammys in the 60s. Any groups or artists who wrote and performed their own stuff was an enemy to the musicians union. It's why the Beatles were snubbed out of Grammys. This is definitely the case for Hip-Hop as well.

Old, stodgy stadium rock guys voting on which Bieber and Swift song their 10 year old grand daughter likes the most.

The Grammys exists to sell recorded music in an age of decline. It's why the Grammys didn't exist until 1959.

Goldboy

Tbh, I'm still kinda mad about My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy not getting an AOTY nomination. That and Macklemore winning AOTY over Kendrick a couple years later made me realize that the Grammys mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom