• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye, Drake, Justin Beiber rumored to be skipping out on the Grammys this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

According to TMZ:

I mean, I'm all for the Grammys shaking up their voting process because right now, they don't reward artistry in major categories. Anyone who is immersed into music cultures knows how irrelevant the Grammys are because of how shitty the nominations and winners are. Like, I'd venture it's a lock "Views" is going to win Rap Record of the Year despite being shit, The Chainsmokers are going to win Best New Artist, Adele's going to sweep likely, etc.

It's a shitshow, and I think that a "shock" is exactly what they need to know they're becoming worse than bad, they're becoming irrelevant.

I agree minus the Adele bit since she's talented and deserves her awards.

LionPride

Banned
aW4brFt.jpg

love what mackelmore did for jewish people

truly the most influential artist

just look at the political climate of 2017

Yeah fuck Macklemore, if his music wasn't trash, this would have been my tipping point. Him beating out GKMC with his bullshit just...ahhhh

You have no idea what you are talking about all do you? Kanye has 21 grammys and literally influenced a whole class of rappers and is largely the whole reason Drake is popular in the first place.

Bieber is one of the young most successful artists of our time, and while I largely ignore his earlier music, is changing pop music with his EDM collaborations.

Generic drivel? Seriously you can't even insult why you don't like him beyond "he's popular and on the radio."

excellent parody of alternative facts

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
are you gay?
Yes (and a female if that matters)
Thrift Shop and Same Love might just be the most important songs of the century.
Oh let's not get dramatic.

This is my last time responding, and only to give an explaination for me calling you a troll and help you realize something.

I called you a troll because you jumped from me not being here for Macklemore's bullshit to me hating straight people.

As for helping you realize something. This shit:

Is why minorites don't trust "allies". Because they hold their support over your head and unless you jump high enough and are "grateful" enough you won't get your precious rights.

We just have fundamental disagreements on these issues. I apologize for saying you hated straight people, that was me being hyperbolic and ridiculous due to anger issues on my part.

Mega

Banned
I don't even know where to begin unwrapping the bullshit in this post... What am I supposed to be grateful to him for? Am i supposed to be grateful the he co-opted my struggle for his song then bounced once it fell off? If he's so for the LGBT community then where the fuck has he been lately? Oh right, by looking at his twitter feed he's been releasing songs jumping on whatever the hot struggle of the week is.

Fuck that. I'll support the people actually in my community releasing music about being gay and the allies who don't ghost as soon as the money stops rolling in.

Also, Same Love released at a safe as fuck time when there were a lot of songs and music videos going around about being gay talking about being gay.

And I appreciate myself plenty, don't need a fucking straight persons validation for that.

This right here. It would be like a white artist releasing a song about BLM in 2017, 5 years after Trayvon and everything else that has happened in this decade with minority rights... and being hailed as "brave," "leading the cause" and "raising awareness." As if a thousand other ignored people haven't been trying before the mainstream-friendly, photogenic white hipster came along to take the spotlight. It's revisionist crap and insulting. Macklemore was being opportunistic at attaching himself onto the hot topic of the day, period.

LionPride

Banned
This right here. It would be like a white artist releasing a song about BLM in 2017, 5 years after Trayvon and everything else that has happened in this decade with minority rights... and being hailed as "brave," "leading the cause" and "raising awareness." As if a thousand other ignored people haven't been trying before the mainstream-friendly, photogenic white hipster came along to take the spotlight. It's revisionist crap and insulting. Macklemore was being opportunistic at attaching himself onto the hot topic of the day, period.

How much you wanna bet this shit happens this year

Avalanche

Funny you should say that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rl4ZGdy34

Glazed

mbdtf not even being nominated for album of the year when it dropped was a joke.
i thought it was great seeing daft punk win aoty for ram but when kendrick lost to taylor that was it.

also how has march madness not been nominated for a grammy

LionPride

Banned
It's true. kendrick after section 80 - mad hype, kendrick after GKMC - people saying he could be a legend, kendrick after tpab - he fell off and no one's checking for him anymore.
His album is one of the most well received albums...ever. It came out two years ago and even when he released the shit he didn't put on the album, peeps were still hype for that, and it was better than a lot of other albums last year! He's been doing his thing in 2016 and will release another album when he wants.

The fuck

The Grammys are very bad.

Reminder, Jethro Tull won the inaugural best hard rock/metal album award.

I like Crest of a Knave better than AJFA.

I honestly dont fuck with TPAB all that much. The second I listened to it it felt like and attempt to be artistic at the expense of making shit I would ever wanna listen to on the flip. I find it an entirely boring album with like 5 good songs tbh. Good Kid, Mad City was my fav Kendrick project. I even prefer Sectiom 80 to TPAB. It at least feels like it wanted to be music first and foremost.

That said it was still a good album by any reasonable standard and I cant even grasp how T Swizzles pop dumpster fire won over it.

Also did any of yall actually listen to the Heist? That album was fucking garbage. Forget culturally relevant, album has to not fucking suck to win AOTY. (Views is gonna with this year. Also shitty)

It's true. kendrick after section 80 - mad hype, kendrick after GKMC - people saying he could be a legend, kendrick after tpab - he fell off and no one's checking for him anymore.

Erm what.

To Pimp a Butterfly was universally praised.

Heck, his album of off-cuts received more critical praise than a lot of big releases last year.

He's also been in numerous popular songs over the past year.

Lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Makes sense. Grammys aren't relevant anymore and just nominate old dudes putting out records no one listens to because they stopped being relevant 15 years earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom