• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye, Drake, Justin Beiber rumored to be skipping out on the Grammys this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.O.B

You know who is going to be there?

raJL2MOKjBlbW.gif

No Features

Cranster

Banned
Oh boo hoo I don't like x Artist and I like x Artist more which is why the grammy's suck. Seriously get off your high horse.
The bands I listed have done alot more to influence popular music and actually pushed the limitations of the technology in the recording industry with their experimentation. Maybe Kanye and Bieber should get off their high horse's and try not making generic drivel.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The bands I listed have done alot more to influence popular music and actually pushed the limitations of the technology in the recording industry with their experimentation. Maybe Kanye and Bieber should get off their high horse's and try not making generic drivel.

You have no idea what you are talking about all do you? Kanye has 21 grammys and literally influenced a whole class of rappers and is largely the whole reason Drake is popular in the first place.

Bieber is one of the young most successful artists of our time, and while I largely ignore his earlier music, is changing pop music with his EDM collaborations.

Generic drivel? Seriously you can't even insult why you don't like him beyond "he's popular and on the radio."

Zero315

Banned
Well that is you personally, and wagon jumping? Seriously get off your high horse and realised that Macklemore did more for you than Kendrick did or ever will and he is partly why gay rights are actually much better in America now. And no it is not trash lol.

Oh boo hoo I don't like x Artist and I like x Artist more which is why the grammy's suck. Seriously get off your high horse.

The fuck is this noise? Macklemore ain't do shit for me or the gay rights movement besides release a song at the right time that made straight people feel good about supporting gay rights. And no, his trash song is not "partly" why gay rights are better in America. But I guess I should just be so grateful that a straight white man wrote a song about my struggle.

Also, way to ignore the part of my post where I said the Grammy's are supposed to be about who made better music, not who sold more or who is more popular.

Koodo

Banned
Well that is you personally, and wagon jumping? Seriously get off your high horse and realised that Macklemore did more for you than Kendrick did or ever will and he is partly why gay rights are actually much better in America now. And no it is not trash lol.
Unless you're a privileged white gay male, Macklemore has done jack shit to progress the movement.

Only progress his atrocious music can be linked to is an onset of tinnitus.

Shit, double post.

Anyways, I really really don't think Macklemore is the hill you want to die on, Waffle. Like, a large segment of the population felt that "Same Love" was really just capitalizing on the same-sex marriage debate that was happening 5(!) years ago. And I really think it's dumb to call it a key reason as to why LGBTQ acceptance is as mainstream as it is, at least in liberal areas. "Will And Grace" or Ellen coming out were more important than a mediocre pop song with a positive message. I'm really not one to talk about this subject because I don't have any real education on the matter, but even I know "Same Love" was not an important factor in the mainstream acceptance of homosexuality.

In hip-hop, it might be, because it's really one of the few mainstream rap songs that actually deal with such a subject, but even then I'd argue figures like Syd from the Internet, Le1f or Cakes Da Killa are more trail-blazing than this song.

Pavaloo

I know a bunch of people are saying its dumb or vain to care about the Grammys, but that drive for recognition is what drove Michael Jackson to make Thriller. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WaffleTaco

Do you really believe this
It is obviously true.
The fuck is this noise? Macklemore ain't do shit for me or the gay rights movement besides release a song at the right time that made straight people feel good about supporting gay rights. And no, his trash song is not "partly" why gay rights are better in America. But I guess I should just be so grateful that a straight white man wrote a song about my struggle.

Also, way to ignore the part of my post where I said the Grammy's are supposed to be about who made better music, not who sold more or who is more popular.
lol that's exactly why gay rights are better. Unless you get the majority of the population to care (white straight people), than you won't win. And yes you are being ungrateful. Be happy that a song about being gay got on the radio and was supported...appreciate yourself some and accept that Macklemore help gays.

Also the Grammys are about celebrating the best of music, both financially and artistically.

Unless you're a privileged white gay male, Macklemore has done jack shit to progress the movement.

Oh bull shit. Have a successful song on the radio helps young gay people, especially gay young white people.

Ivan 3414

Is this what shitting on allies looks like

Not to say that Macklemore didn't have misguided execution, but Jesus Christ he's done much more to support LGBT people than the astronomical majority of rap and pop artists

Goldboy

Love him or hate him, Kanye's music definitely isn't generic. He does something different and new for pretty much every album and has influenced hip-hop a ton.

Wow, this is revisionist af. Like, take away the contributions of LGBT people to their movements successes and give it to Macklemore who had the 'courage' to say "hey, gay people are alright". As if the LGBT rights movement needed a straight white guy's validation to be taken seriously. It did nothing to progress the movement. Like, at all.

Meanwhile, the shit Kendrick was talking about on good kid, m.A.A.d was relevant before, during, and after its release. But it got snubbed because it has concepts and ideas that are difficult for a old, white man to digest. It's perceived as not being "real" stuff and glorifying gang culture, but it's actually a reflection of Kendrick's reality. But that's difficult to see for people who never faced that reality. People have already stopped caring about The Heist. People revere GKMC as a modern classic and are still talking about it today.

Also, just from a quality standpoint, Kendrick is much better than Macklemore. Mack's verses on Same Love are garbage. Kendrick's flow and lyrical content are some of the best.

WaffleTaco

Wow, this is revisionist af. Like, take away the contributions of LGBT people to their movements successes and give it to Macklemore who had the 'courage' to say "hey, gay people are alright". As if the LGBT rights movement needed a straight white guy's validation to be taken seriously. It did nothing to progress the movement. Like, at all.

Meanwhile, the shit Kendrick was talking about on good kid, m.A.A.d was relevant before, during, and after its release. But it got snubbed because it has concepts and ideas that are difficult for a old, white man to digest. It's perceived as not being "real" stuff and glorifying gang culture, but it's actually a reflection of Kendrick's reality. But that's difficult to see for people who never faced that reality. People have already stopped caring about The Heist. People revere GKMC as a modern classic and are still talking about it today.

Also, just from a quality standpoint, Kendrick is much better than Macklemore. Mack's verses on Same Love are garbage. Kendrick's flow and lyrical content are some of the best.

It's not revisionist at all, and I did not take away from LGBT or their movements. Part of accepting gay people as actual people are also the cultural movements, so yes Macklemore making a gay song does help on some level.

Also I do agree with you that Kendrick is lyrically the better rapper, that's no question. His album was also miles better and it's not surpassing that people are still talking about Kendrick, he's the best rapper of his generation and I am eagerly awaiting his next album. However in the mind of 2014 Grammy's where gay marriage is still not legal and Kendrick Lamar isn't a household name...than Mackelmore's gay song hit all of the cultural notes to help it become Grammy worthy.

Avalanche

Saying Macklemore essentially influenced the Supreme Court's decision is disingenuous at best and insulting at worst. Standing up for gay rights in 2012 is better than nothing but it isn't something to award a medal to.

Kendrick's album told the story of a young black man stuck in an ever present and ongoing cycle of crime and violence, and his struggles to get out through his faith and motivation. It's a much more difficult social issue to convey and comprehend than 'gays should be able to love each other'. No shit.

https://youtu.be/Mh07WlB46Gw

Koodo

Banned
Precisely. What am embarrassment to claim a straight white guy did anything other than profit from the movement. It's an appalling argument that takes away the credit from the people who actually fought to be where we are today.

We need to stop patting straight white men on the back for the bare minimum – not that Macklemore's music even cleared that hurdle.

It's not revisionist at all, and I did not take away from LGBT or their movements. Part of accepting gay people as actual people are also the cultural movements, so yes Macklemore making a gay song does help on some level.

Also I do agree with you that Kendrick is lyrically the better rapper, that's no question. His album was also miles better and it's not surpassing that people are still talking about Kendrick, he's the best rapper of his generation and I am eagerly awaiting his next album. However in the mind of 2014 Grammy's where gay marriage is still not legal and Kendrick Lamar isn't a household name...than Mackelmore's gay song hit all of the cultural notes to help it become Grammy worthy.
The Grammy's, in theory, are supposed to be a reflection of quality. And if the AOTY is supposed to go the best album, then the Grammy's didn't do their job.

I'm not saying the song hurt the movement, but it didn't have the impact you claim it did. Here's a song about the struggles of being homosexual written from the perspective of a straight guy. Someone who, despite his capacity for empathy, will never be able to fully understand what it means to be gay and the effect that has on one's life. Like for me, as a white guy, it would be inappropriate to write a song about being black in America, because I don't have a sufficient knowledge of what that's like. Art is a reflection of one's own experiences. Macklemore has never experienced what it is like to be gay. The song is well-intentioned, but misguided. This isn't some cornerstone work that you're claiming it is. The accomplishments of the LGBT community is their work, not the work of a straight man who said "hey, I'm cool with you"

I'm not saying that Macklemore is a bad guy or jumping on a bandwagon. I'm sure that he's genuinely pro-LGBT rights. But the song comes across as being a straight guy validating the struggles of the LGBT community.

Zero315

Banned
It is obviously true.

lol that's exactly why gay rights are better. Unless you get the majority of the population to care (white straight people), than you won't win. And yes you are being ungrateful. Be happy that a song about being gay got on the radio and was supported...appreciate yourself some and accept that Macklemore help gays.

Also the Grammys are about celebrating the best of music, both financially and artistically.

Oh bull shit. Have a successful song on the radio helps young gay people, especially gay young white people.

I don't even know where to begin unwrapping the bullshit in this post... What am I supposed to be grateful to him for? Am i supposed to be grateful the he co-opted my struggle for his song then bounced once it fell off? If he's so for the LGBT community then where the fuck has he been lately? Oh right, by looking at his twitter feed he's been releasing songs jumping on whatever the hot struggle of the week is.

Fuck that. I'll support the people actually in my community releasing music about being gay and the allies who don't ghost as soon as the money stops rolling in.

Also, Same Love released at a safe as fuck time when there were a lot of songs and music videos going around about being gay talking about being gay.

And I appreciate myself plenty, don't need a fucking straight persons validation for that.

I guess it's fitting that he called his album The Heist since it seems he's stolen the credit for the gay rights movement.

Edit:
When has it ever been about that.

Didn't say it ever has, but that's what it presents itself to be, like the years when Bon Iver and Arcade Fire won and sent twitter into a frenzy of "who?"

According to TMZ:

I mean, I'm all for the Grammys shaking up their voting process because right now, they don't reward artistry in major categories. Anyone who is immersed into music cultures knows how irrelevant the Grammys are because of how shitty the nominations and winners are. Like, I'd venture it's a lock "Views" is going to win Rap Record of the Year despite being shit, The Chainsmokers are going to win Best New Artist, Adele's going to sweep likely, etc.

It's a shitshow, and I think that a "shock" is exactly what they need to know they're becoming worse than bad, they're becoming irrelevant.

FINALLY

Grammys are garbage and have been a disgrace to hip hop for years

WaffleTaco

Precisely. What am embarrassment to claim a straight white guy did anything other than profit from the movement. It's an appalling argument that takes away the credit from the people who actually fought to be where we are today.

We need to stop patting straight white men on the back for the bare minimum – not that Macklemore's music even cleared that hurdle.
Lol apparently empathy is a crime. Stop saying that allies don't help. There is nothing wrong with a straight white person helping out the gay community, this is how you lose support from people because you become an asshole.

The Grammy's, in theory, are supposed to be a reflection of quality. And if the AOTY is supposed to go the best album, then the Grammy's didn't do their job.

I'm not saying the song hurt the movement, but it didn't have the impact you claim it did. Here's a song about the struggles of being homosexual written from the perspective of a straight guy. Someone who, despite his capacity for empathy, will never be able to fully understand what it means to be gay and the effect that has on one's life. Like for me, as a white guy, it would be inappropriate to write a song about being black in America, because I don't have a sufficient knowledge of what that's like. Art is a reflection of one's own experiences. Macklemore has never experienced what it is like to be gay. The song is well-intentioned, but misguided. This isn't some cornerstone work that you're claiming it is. The accomplishments of the LGBT community is their work, not the work of a straight man who said "hey, I'm cool with you"

I'm not saying that Macklemore is a bad guy or jumping on a bandwagon. I'm sure that he's genuinely pro-LGBT rights. But the song comes across as being a straight guy validating the struggles of the LGBT community.
It probably helped a lot more gay teens than you think it did, but regardless there is no evidence to support either of our evidence. Also half that song had the chorus from a gay female.

Cipherr

Wow...

I'm serious, I will never understand hip hop fandoms issue with Eminem, when people like this guy are lining up to pin medals on Macklemore's chest for random shit. I have my issues with Em, but he has earned many of the accolades he has gotten. Trying to paint Macklemore as a leader and reason for the progressive movement lately for gay rights is unbelievably disrespectful towards the people that have spent the last decade or more fighting tooth and nail for NO FUCKING PROFIT. I mean DAMN.

Macklemore's song is appreciated, but chill the fuck out.
Q908D5c.png

WaffleTaco

I don't even know where to begin unwrapping the bullshit in this post... What am I supposed to be grateful to him for? Am i supposed to be grateful the he co-opted my struggle for his song then bounced once it fell off? If he's so for the LGBT community then where the fuck has he been lately? Oh right, by looking at his twitter feed he's been releasing songs jumping on whatever the hot struggle of the week is.

Fuck that. I'll support the people actually in my community releasing music about being gay and the allies who don't ghost as soon as the money stops rolling in.

Also, Same Love released at a safe as fuck time when there were a lot of songs and music videos going around about being gay talking about being gay.

And I appreciate myself plenty, don't need a fucking straight persons validation for that.

I guess it's fitting that he called his album The Heist since it seems he's stolen the credit for the gay rights movement.

Edit:

Didn't say it ever has, but that's what it presents itself to be, like the years when Bon Iver and Arcade Fire won and sent twitter into a frenzy of "who?"
If you don't like straight people just say so, there's a reason gay people are more accepted than before so yes appreciate the fact that a straight person helped you. And just because Macklemore wants to help spread awareness does not mean he is a bad person.

If you don't like straight people just say so, there's a reason gay people are more accepted than before so yes appreciate the fact that a straight person helped you. And just because Macklemore wants to help spread awareness does not mean he is a bad person.

alright now i know you're straight up trolling

WaffleTaco

Wow...

I'm serious, I will never understand hip hop fandoms issue with Eminem, when people like this guy are lining up to pin medals on Macklemore's chest for random shit. I have my issues with Em, but he has earned many of the accolades he has gotten. Trying to paint Macklemore as a leader and reason for the progressive movement lately for gay rights is unbelievably disrespectful towards the people that have spent the last decade or more fighting tooth and nail for NO FUCKING PROFIT. I mean DAMN.

Macklemore's song is appreciated, but chill the fuck out.
Q908D5c.png
I'm not trying to paint him a leader, I'm not even a fan of the dude. However he is the only person who has had a deliberately and explicitly gay song hit as high as it did music wise. He influenced culture through his music and he helped gay teens and that's great.

number11

The Oscar's gets a lot wrong.. but compared with the grammy's, they definitely do a better job at rewarding the best movies of the year rather than just being a popularity contest.

WaffleTaco

The Oscar's gets a lot wrong.. but compared with the grammy's, they definitely do a better job at rewarding the best movies of the year rather than just being a popularity contest.
Tell that to black music artists m. At least black music artists get nominated for awards even if they don't always win when they should.

LionPride

Banned
Bro, the fact you ain't even know what you talking bout is hilarious. Biebs reinvented himself to be a good artist and Kanye brings something new every album. Kanye is the reason half of these dudes rappin exist. He the reason fashion has changed for dudes in the mid to late 2000s onward. One of the most influential rappers ever.
Love him or hate him, Kanye's music definitely isn't generic. He does something different and new for pretty much every album and has influenced hip-hop a ton.
Thank you

----------------------------
Now if we wanna talk Grammy's and racism we can talk about how anytime a rap album is up for album of the year it does not win, even when it is clear cut the best album of the year. The albums to win anything outside of the best hip-hop category, are Miseducation of Lauyren Hill and Speakerboxx/Love Below. You wanna know what aren't rap albums for the most part? Ding Ding ding, them two.

If the Grammys become irrelevant, how are we going to talk about how they got it wrong?

Not sure why people care so much about awards the industries gives to itselves. If these things died, it would save me from listening to people rant about stuff like how Crash shouldn't have won an Oscar in 2003.

Zero315

Banned

giphy.gif

alright now i know you're straight up trolling

Yeah, I'm done feeding the troll. Can't respond to any of my points so they go to "You must hate white straight people!"

jessop

Neo Member
Tell that to black music artists m. At least black music artists get nominated for awards even if they don't always win when they should.

AT LEAST eh ! if only they'd stop whinging right lol just be happy with your lot black folk
christ lmao imagine actually thinking these thoughts !

also macklemore is a gross loser who is no ally and irrelevant trash

WaffleTaco

giphy.gif

Yeah, I'm done feeding the troll. Can't respond to any of my points so they go to "You must hate white straight people!"
I did respond actually, you just don't care, and you don't like my opinion so you are saying I am trolling.

This isn't about not liking straight people. I'm straight and I'm making the same arguments they are. Giving the accomplishments of the LGBT rights movement to a straight guy has a whole slew of problems. It takes autonomy away from LGBT people, painting them as passive agents while portraying privileged people as 'graciously' extending rights to the oppressed. It takes due credit away from the people that actually fought for the movement. This isn't just an LGBT thing. Many movements (i.e. The Black Civil Rights Movement of the mid 20th century) are depicted in this same way. We need to recognize the accomplishments of the oppressed and their movements and that they have control over their own destinies.

WaffleTaco

AT LEAST eh ! if only they'd stop whinging right lol just be happy with your lot black folk
christ lmao imagine actually thinking these thoughts !

also macklemore is a gross loser who is no ally and irrelevant trash
What are you talking about?? I was saying that Grammy's actually nominate black artists every year meanwhile last year there was #OscarsSoWhite for a reason.

And Macklemore is an ally...but yes he's mostly irrelevant now and pretty bad.

WaffleTaco

This isn't about not liking straight people. I'm straight and I'm making the same arguments they are. Giving the accomplishments of the LGBT rights movement to a straight guy has a whole slew of problems. It takes autonomy away from LGBT people, painting them as passive agents while portraying privileged people as 'graciously' extending rights to the oppressed. It takes due credit away from the people that actually fought for the movement. This isn't just an LGBT thing. Many movements (i.e. The Black Civil Rights Movement of the mid 20th century) are depicted in this same way. We need to recognize the accomplishments of the oppressed and their movements and that they have control over their own destinies.
I'm not trying to take autonomy away at all, and I agree with you on every single account. However what has happened in this thread is that people don't like the fact that Macklemore helped out the gay community culturally (in one specific way!) because it is cool to hate on him. I'm not trying to downplay LGBT movements, all I am saying is that Macklemore helped.

jessop

Neo Member
I'm not trying to take autonomy away at all, and I agree with you on every single account. However what has happened in this thread is that people don't like the fact that Macklemore helped out the gay community culturally (in one specific way!) because it is cool to hate on him. I'm not trying to downplay LGBT movements, all I am saying is that Macklemore helped.

are you gay?

Zero315

Banned
I did respond actually, you just don't care, and you don't like my opinion so you are saying I am trolling.

This is my last time responding, and only to give an explaination for me calling you a troll and help you realize something.

I called you a troll because you jumped from me not being here for Macklemore's bullshit to me hating straight people.

As for helping you realize something. This shit:

And yes you are being ungrateful. Be happy that a song about being gay got on the radio and was supported...appreciate yourself some and accept that Macklemore help gays.
Lol apparently empathy is a crime. Stop saying that allies don't help. There is nothing wrong with a straight white person helping out the gay community, this is how you lose support from people because you become an asshole.
Is why minorites don't trust "allies". Because they hold their support over your head and unless you jump high enough and are "grateful" enough you won't get your precious rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom