• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai: We will let Microsoft make the first move

Hoo-doo

Banned
This quote sums up exactly what is the problem with Sony.

At it's heart, the company is driven by engineers, all they care about is building the best technology, not the most enjoyable software or experiences.

If they lose out technically they have very little to offer consumers as their IP portfolio just does not have mass market appeal. Even coming in with the best technology may not save them as the VITA has proved.

Their only real weapon is price and specifications. Even with price they have little elbow room given their perilous financial position.

Are you kidding me here? They care more about the core gamer than Microsoft ever did in the last 3 years. New IP's all over the place, first party studio's among the best in the industry, great third-party exclusives, etcetera.

rdrr gnr

At it's heart, the company is driven by engineers, all they care about is building the best technology, not the most enjoyable software or experiences.

If they lose out technically they have very little to offer consumers as their IP portfolio just does not have mass market appeal.Even coming in with the best technology may not save them as the VITA has proved.

Their only real weapon is price and specifications. Even with price they have little elbow room given their perilous financial position.
Nailed it.

No (it's not price fixing) and no (it might be against trade laws depending on the country/state).

Sorry price fixing was the wrong term, what I was looking for was predatory pricing. Where a business prices a product well below the competition at a loss no one else can afford in the attempt to become the market leader. And yes that does fall under antitrust laws as an attempt to monopolize a market.

You're aware that selling systems at a loss is a common practice, aren't you?

Right but I think the person I qouted was trying to say Microsoft should price it at a unprecedented loss that only they could afford to do and thus smoke out the competition. That would bring lawsuits from Sony and Nintendo and maybe others as well including governments.

If they lose out technically they have very little to offer consumers as their IP portfolio just does not have mass market appeal.
1287922481918.gif

Shinta

Banned
It makes perfect sense for them to announce last. PS3 has a much, much stronger 2013 lineup than Xbox does. Xbox needs to announce as soon as they can manage it. Sony seems to have everything ready, but why not wait and see what they show so you can make any last minute adjustments to messaging, pricing and potentially even the product?

There's really no reason not to. Kaz is 100% correct. They have the late system advantage and can wait longer than Microsoft can.

Don't know about you but the second they announced ps3 was going to be 600 dollars I didn't even want a ps3. It definitely hurt them.

Well, back in Aught Six, I certainly wasn't in a position to buy a $600 console. Hell, I wasn't in a position to buy a $250 console, as I was graduating college and trying to land a "real" job at the time. But I don't think the point is entirely off base. I myself got on board after the first drop to $500.

But, that aside, I'd be extremely skeptical of trying to launch at that price again even with better consumer hooks than "Blu-Ray!" and "Cell Processor!" With so much overlap in functionality in terms of devices that people use in their living room/connect to their TV, it's hard for me to imagine any sort of radically new gamechanging functionality that would get people on board towards such a high price tag being worth it.

It makes perfect sense for them to announce last. PS3 has a much, much stronger 2013 lineup than Xbox does. Xbox needs to announce as soon as they can manage it. Sony seems to have everything ready, but why not wait and see what they show so you can make any last minute adjustments to messaging, pricing and potentially even the product?

Yeah, I agree. Sony have more reason than MS to keep people focused on their current system, not least because they need to squeeze more profit out now that the PlayStation business is financially viable again.

Still, I think this is a question of announcements and not launches. Sony can't afford to launch significantly after Microsoft.

Spinluck

So was move.

There was a poster on GAF who said that Sony does indeed innovate at times, but are always to afraid to go with their unproven ideas until some other companies prove that that very same idea can indeed be successful.

Probably one of the better post I've read. Not to say Sony never copies, all 3 of these companies do.

Alx

There was a poster on GAF who said that Sony does indeed innovate at times, but are always to afraid to go with their unproven ideas until some other companies prove that that very same idea can indeed be successful.

Probably one of the better post I've read. Not to say Sony never copies, all 3 of these companies do.

Well, that's the most difficult part with innovation : taking risks. New ideas are everywhere. But ideas that can be turned into a profitable product are rare.
If you're only going to tested grounds, you're not exploring anything.

Boost

Banned
Classic chess move.

You move first, and ill see how I can counter it IE: spec up our console and add more CG to our trailers.

Espada

This is a silly move, and makes it very clear that Microsoft is the market leader. While they may be given time to increase the memory in their machine or whatever, they lose the advantage of being released first.

Clockwork

Classic chess move.

You move first, and ill see how I can counter it IE: spec up our console and add more CG to our trailers.

At this point it would be pretty late in the game to change specs.

I don't get why people are saying this would be reason behind not unveiling first.

(I'm also confused by those thinking that Kaz is saying they'll let Microsoft release their system first)

I think it's more a matter of one upping them on the presentation and be able to counter whatever kind of show the competition put on.

Riddick

If they lose out technically they have very little to offer consumers as their IP portfolio just does not have mass market appeal. Even coming in with the best technology may not save them as the VITA has proved.

Jesus Christ...

Classic chess move.

Probably this. I don't think changing the console specs is in any way realistic, but CG trailers aren't exactly new territory for a Sony console announcement.

Terrell

I hope Microsoft doesn't do something like this, I don't want to see Sony pushed out of the console space.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. If Microsoft tries that predatory pricing crap and pisses away ALL the money they made on the 360, it will ensure that the Xbox division will follow Sony down the Green Mile. And then we're left with Nintendo and whoever thinks they can compete with Sony and MS out of the picture.

Microsoft's investors would not be the slightest bit forgiving about the prospect of a 10+ year moneypit that bleeds out at least once every 5 years, let's ensure no one kids themselves to the contrary.

Are you kidding me here? They care more about the core gamer than Microsoft ever did in the last 3 years. New IP's all over the place, first party studio's among the best in the industry, great third-party exclusives, etcetera.

like? I agree with your first party comment, but having trouble thinking of a single great third party exclusive on the ps3.

If I worked at MS, for the 720 reveal I'd show the final look of the system and CG trailers for games. Then I'd say 'We'll reveal the specs the day after Sony' just to show something first and have better specs in the end. :p

The thing about Microsoft is they are not only an American company (Yen/USD is getting better but it's still pretty high) , but they also has XBL behind to make up for any loss that they may make on the hardware . I think that the new Xbox will be more affordable than what some people might think.

They better launch PS4 with:
-Last Guardian
-A new Gravity Daze
-Kick ass new IP x 4
-Osaka Jungle :D
-Exclusives from a few other kick ass devs.
-A better goddamn online store. With sales. Easy to navigate.

Shikoro

What the hell have I just read? :O

Dawg

This quote sums up exactly what is the problem with console war threads.

leroidys

They better launch PS4 with:
-Last Guardian
-A new Gravity Daze
-Kick ass new IP x 4
-Osaka Jungle :D
-Exclusives from a few other kick ass devs.
-A better goddamn online store. With sales. Easy to navigate.

You have good taste. Throw in Demons' Souls 2 and WipEout and I'd have enough to last me half of the generation right there.

Sony arguably has the best games in the industry I think, but most of them are not system sellers unfortunately. One Gears of War or Halo will unfortunately for Sony outsell all of their franchises combined. Add in the probability that both consoles will most likely look virtually identical and even feature the same games. They will have to come in aggressively with price and if possible noticeably better specifications or even special features not found on the X720.

Sony arguably has the best games in the industry I think, but most of them are not system sellers unfortunately. One Gears of War or Halo will unfortunately for Sony outsell all of their franchises combined. Add in the probability that both consoles will most likely look virtually identical and even feature the same games. They will have to come in aggressively with price and if possible noticeably better specifications or even special features not found on the X720.
Not even remotely true

Gears of War hovers around Uncharted and God of War levels, while Halo is out of Sonys league you will still find that Gran Turismo is within a few million. Halo is just far more frequent and front loaded

AOC83

Banned
Not even remotely true

Gears of War hovers around Uncharted and God of War levels, while Halo is out of Sonys league you will still find that Gran Turismo is within a few million. Halo is just far more frequent and front loaded

Gran Turismo should reach the 10 million this year, so it´s pretty close to Halo 3 although it came about 3 years later.

I think that Sony made worse mistakes with their hardware than just coming a year late.

If they get their hardware right I don't think coming after microsoft is going to be much of an issue.

Calling MGS4 garbage (GAFs game of the year twice) disqualifies you for any further discussion.

I don't know whether to agree with you that the "garbage" comment was overly-hyperbolic, or to simply lament the travesty that is Metal Gear Solid 4 being voted Game of the Year twice on this forum.

Just because you have zero interest in JRPGs doesn't mean they are garbage by default.

garbage in the sense that the original comment was great third party exclusives. outside of yakuza and demon's souls (which sony own the ip, so it is really a third party exclusive?), they aren't great third party exclusives.

Calling MGS4 garbage (GAFs game of the year twice) disqualifies you for any further discussion.

gaf should be ashamed for voting it game of the year once, the fact that it's reached that accolade twice is a damning indictment of the gaf collective's opinion.

Top Bottom