• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge of spirits delayed until Sept

Venuspower

tenor5bqjgm.gif

Well, better than an unfinished game.
Annoying nontheless, because it looks so good.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Lazy fuckin devs.
Im annoyed, but if anything it would have been “lazy” of them to release it un polished. Its frustrating, and they should never have commited to august in the first place, but at least they are aiming to release a polished product. If it gets delayed again, then ill have some serious questions

Dr Bass

Indies delaying shit will always be funny to me. You would think their execs would be in sync with their programming and design teams.
That's just not how software dev estimation works. Things change, timelines change. The fact the "execs" made the call to delay the game means they probably ARE "in sync" as they are listening to them saying they should delay.

Not being in sync would probably involve launching the game, getting a bunch of complaints about massively broken software and the "execs" going "Wait, why is this broken?!"

And a one month delay is not a big deal whatsoever. Sounds like more polish is wanted.

Nice try on the spin though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's just not how software dev estimation works. Things change, timelines change. The fact the "execs" made the call to delay the game means they probably ARE "in sync" as they are listening to them saying they should delay.

Not being in sync would probably involve launching the game, getting a bunch of complaints about massively broken software and the "execs" going "Wait, why is this broken?!"

And a one month delay is not a big deal whatsoever. Sounds like more polish is wanted.

lol I am a software architect and have been developing software for over 11 years. I think I have an idea on how this stuff works.

The game was supposed to be released in April. Then delayed to August and now again by a month. Devs usually know how long stuff takes. We know when we are behind. This is on upper management who dont have their ear to the ground. They talk to the Project Managers who tell them what they want to hear. The project managers talk to the Team leads who tell them what they want to hear. Meanwhile the devs are typically shy and quiet types who just end up working weekends and 12 hour shifts knowing they would never meet the deadlines anyway.

In smaller 20-40 person studios, I expect VPs and execs to have access to Gantts, Epics and the latest builds. The fact that this game was delayed multiple times tells me that they have a communication gap. When they gave that first date to Sony, they were talking to the wrong people. When they gave that second date to everyone, they were still talking to the wrong people. You can look at what the cd project developers were saying. Everyone knew that the game was 18 months behind but they kept saying it would release in Spring 2020. then september. then november. and then finally december. I expect that from a big AAA studio like CD Project which manages over 500 employees. Not from two guys from animation studios who are struggling to run a small studio.

This scene in Silicon Valley perfectly encapsulates what software development is like at most big companies.

Last edited:

Thief1987

September is absolutely packed. Will be very tough release window for them. I was going to buy it on release, but in September Diablo and Judgment have a far higher priority for me. So maybe sometimes later on sales.

Last edited:

crozier

It's refreshing seeing a developer own their game not being finished, rather than releasing turds like Cyberpunk and Dark Alliance.

Esca

Actually glad for the delay. It was coming out the same day as aliens fire team and I really want to spend the day playing that first

Duchess

What's the deal with this coming to Xbox at some point? Or is PS exclusive for good?
It's a timed exclusive for PS5.

Much the same as Death's Door and The Ascent are timed for Xbox.

(and Starfield, Fallout 5, and Elder Scrolls 6)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Those last 3 are very likely coming to PC day-1, so unless you believe they’re coming to Sony consoles? I think Bethesda/Microsoft have been pretty clear about that not happening.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm looking forward to this game but actually don't mind this delay because It was close to No More Heroes III release, so I don't have to jump between these two games.

But then again in September Tale of Arise comes out
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned

Cant wait for demons souls, uncharted, ratchet and clank, and mlb the show to hit xbox ( oh wait...?)

but seriously, come on, those are microsoft eco system exclusive now. And unless gamepass hits ps5, or microsoft buys the playstation division... i dont think there is any way those games are coming to playstation

THEAP99

Banned
A year delay is better than a month delay. This doesn’t smell good. Cyberpunk delayed for a month and didn’t save the game

[Sigma]

Thought this could be the case when we didn't hear anything about them going gold last week. it's fine. I got Ghost DLC and Hades still on deck.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Agreed. One thing I learned about game development is that if there is a newly found bug that the QA team didn't catch then upon fixing that bug can introduce a number of other bugs

Game development isn't easy

Top Bottom