• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge of spirits delayed until Sept

Naked Lunch

3j7llnkijgmz.jpg
One of the funniest pics ive ever seen.
Bravo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Original launch date was Aug 24. So 3.5 weeks before launch and they announce a one month delay.

You're telling me the just realized they need a delay now?

nowhat

Delay is fine for me. Had to send my PS5 in for repair today!
I feel for you - FWIW my repair took 13 days, this included shipping from Finland to France and back (and judging by the serial number, got a whole new unit in return) so it wasn't that bad in the end (didn't have to pay for shipping in either direction which was nice). It sucked that the console borked out pretty much immediately after I got it, but as with any new tech (especially first batches), if the thing is going to bork it's likely to do so very soon instead of later (unless we're talking about several years later).

ZywyPL

Banned
Damn, that's the second delay, where the game was initially supposed to be released at the end of last year already... But it's OK, I can wait one more month if I waited that long already, plus today I'll have The Ascent to fill that waiting time.

This hasn't been a fact for at least 15 years.

Time to retire it.

Is it tho? MP titles, sure, they can be updated on the fly, but for SP games where you have just one walkthrough, one shot, it's crucial for the game to be polished from day one. See Sony's games that are delayed multiple times, for years even, but once they show up, you cannot say there's technically anything wrong with them, versus CP2077 for example, which year later has still bad/terrible reputation due to its initial unfinished state, because people are already done with it, and their opinion on the game is build on that old, unpolished build. CDPR can patch the game as much as they want, but those people aren't going back to the game, especially not after such a bad taste the game have left on them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Time to retire it.
Thats just one of those "good to hear" pieces of advice that can mean nothing. Typically, high brow elitists like to lecture people with sayings like this.

Kind of like "honesty is the best policy". Sounds logical, but have fun being honest and telling someone to their face they are ugly.

Pretty sure Duke Nukem Forever was shitty. And that game took 10 years.

Warframe started out as a bad game (it even got shitty reviews), but after many updates over the years, it's supposedly a solid game now.

mxbison

lol I am a software architect and have been developing software for over 11 years. I think I have an idea on how this stuff works.

The game was supposed to be released in April. Then delayed to August and now again by a month. Devs usually know how long stuff takes. We know when we are behind. This is on upper management who dont have their ear to the ground. They talk to the Project Managers who tell them what they want to hear. The project managers talk to the Team leads who tell them what they want to hear. Meanwhile the devs are typically shy and quiet types who just end up working weekends and 12 hour shifts knowing they would never meet the deadlines anyway.

In smaller 20-40 person studios, I expect VPs and execs to have access to Gantts, Epics and the latest builds. The fact that this game was delayed multiple times tells me that they have a communication gap. When they gave that first date to Sony, they were talking to the wrong people. When they gave that second date to everyone, they were still talking to the wrong people. You can look at what the cd project developers were saying. Everyone knew that the game was 18 months behind but they kept saying it would release in Spring 2020. then september. then november. and then finally december. I expect that from a big AAA studio like CD Project which manages over 500 employees. Not from two guys from animation studios who are struggling to run a small studio.

This scene in Silicon Valley perfectly encapsulates what software development is like at most big companies.

You guys must be the GOAT developers then, because everywhere I've worked, even in small teams, projects get delayed all the time.

Even if everything was planned perfectly and finished on time, last minute changes or additional features that didn't seem necessary before will come up.

Also depends on the type of software. Some projects don't really care about release windows and don't require marketing. In game development you're often very hesitant to delay because of these things.

Duchess

lol what?
I'm writing that just to trigger the hardcore among the Xbox fanboys. So, Topher Topher , Golgo 13 Golgo 13 , and Umbasaborne Umbasaborne - this is humour. Don't take it so seriously.

So, just to make things clear:

Kena - Timed PlayStation exclusive
Death's Door - Only on Xbox right now (no word on exclusive status)
The Ascent - Only on Xbox right now (no word on exclusive status)

Fallout 5 - Unknown
Elder Scrolls 6 - Unknown
Starfield - "Launching exclusively on Xbox and PC" (which means it'll come to Xbox and PC first, then PS5 3 years later as a GOTY package)

(can't wait for the reactions to this - you lot are really easy to wind up)

Dr Bass

lol I am a software architect and have been developing software for over 11 years. I think I have an idea on how this stuff works.

The game was supposed to be released in April. Then delayed to August and now again by a month. Devs usually know how long stuff takes. We know when we are behind. This is on upper management who dont have their ear to the ground. They talk to the Project Managers who tell them what they want to hear. The project managers talk to the Team leads who tell them what they want to hear. Meanwhile the devs are typically shy and quiet types who just end up working weekends and 12 hour shifts knowing they would never meet the deadlines anyway.

In smaller 20-40 person studios, I expect VPs and execs to have access to Gantts, Epics and the latest builds. The fact that this game was delayed multiple times tells me that they have a communication gap. When they gave that first date to Sony, they were talking to the wrong people. When they gave that second date to everyone, they were still talking to the wrong people. You can look at what the cd project developers were saying. Everyone knew that the game was 18 months behind but they kept saying it would release in Spring 2020. then september. then november. and then finally december. I expect that from a big AAA studio like CD Project which manages over 500 employees. Not from two guys from animation studios who are struggling to run a small studio.

This scene in Silicon Valley perfectly encapsulates what software development is like at most big companies.

Well I’m a director of engineering and have been in the business for more than two decades. So if you want to start pulling credentials … I really tend to refrain from saying that sort of crap around here because it’s silly but I have a good deal of experience.

I’ll just put it this way.

No devs DON’T really know how long things are going to take unless you’re doing something you’ve done over and over again. Look how often games in general are delayed. Look at how badly major software projects are done a large amount of the time, from some of the biggest and most successful tech companies out there.

The problem with most software estimation is that often times people are attempting something new and most estimates are pulled right out of their rectum. Look at the timelines Tesla has given for their tech. Not even close. It’s like saying “how long to build me a flying car?” Well how can you answer that, if you’ve never built one? You don’t know what the task entails yet. Again it’s relatively easy to know how long it might take to do something you’ve had to build over and over, but if you’re in that particular situation I’d say you’re neither stretching nor growing.

And one more point. If you think you’ve solved how to estimate software delivery times you’d be one of the richest people on the planet because you are basically claiming to know the answers to every software company’s biggest problem. Rows and rows of books have been written on the subject. Managers blow this stuff constantly. Software engineers famously underestimate the amount of effort it takes to do their assigned tasks. Quoting Gantt charts and epics as a means of ensuring software timelines is absurdly hilarious. “Our software timelines were a disaster, and then we made a Gantt chart.”

If someone came to me and said they were able to accurately predict software projects, 100% of the time, or even “most” of the time I’d never hire that person. It would show they had a lack of experience, lack of humility, and also never took on very challenging projects where requirements change rapidly.

Again, this is a massively discussed and analyzed problem in this industry but apparently this studio is oh-so-poorly managed even though it’s their first ever game, and it’s been delayed a few months total so far. It’s just a completely ridiculous and disingenuous take and I can’t figure out why you’re trying to tear down this tiny studio over their similarly small delay.

I mean, if this is what you think of these people, if I look through your post history will you similarly bash 343i?

I love the kind of entertainment games can provide but instead of discussing great experiences, favorite games, etc., I find myself responding to absolute piles of bull that is posted here, and then I come across as a complainer, which I ain’t!

Might be time to log out for awhile. 🙂

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Shame, but whatever, it's 4 weeks. Rather that than it launches with 4 weeks worth of bugs.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I can't be the only one who gets PTSD flashbacks when seeing official announcements like these because you realize you've seen at least half a dozen of those before and they were about delays for one of the most disappointing games of the decade.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm writing that just to trigger the hardcore among the Xbox fanboys. So, Topher Topher , Golgo 13 Golgo 13 , and Umbasaborne Umbasaborne - this is humour. Don't take it so seriously.

So, just to make things clear:

Kena - Timed PlayStation exclusive
Death's Door - Only on Xbox right now (no word on exclusive status)
The Ascent - Only on Xbox right now (no word on exclusive status)

Fallout 5 - Unknown
Elder Scrolls 6 - Unknown
Starfield - "Launching exclusively on Xbox and PC" (which means it'll come to Xbox and PC first, then PS5 3 years later as a GOTY package)

(can't wait for the reactions to this - you lot are really easy to wind up)

Who is wound up again?

You Are Howie Mandel GIF by America's Got Talent

martino

I'm looking forward to this game but actually don't mind this delay because It was close to No More Heroes III release, so I don't have to jump between these two games.

But then again in September Tale of Arise comes out
tenor.gif
yep this will be a problem.

I feel for you - FWIW my repair took 13 days, this included shipping from Finland to France and back (and judging by the serial number, got a whole new unit in return) so it wasn't that bad in the end (didn't have to pay for shipping in either direction which was nice). It sucked that the console borked out pretty much immediately after I got it, but as with any new tech (especially first batches), if the thing is going to bork it's likely to do so very soon instead of later (unless we're talking about several years later).
Mine’s a launch day model, so it lasted about 9 months, but not had heavy use. It had graphics corruption for a few weeks, then stopped outputting a video signal.

only going to Texas, which is only one state away, so hopefully won’t take long!

nowhat

Mine’s a launch day model, so it lasted about 9 months
Mine lasted for like a few hours :) Added my account, put two games on download and went to visit a friend, got a notification on the app that the first one had downloaded but never got a notification for the other game - when I come back the console refuses to come back to life. Oh well, shit happens. It should be a quick process for you I think.

Spaceman292

Banned
Cool, take as much time necessary. Plenty of other things to play in the meantime.
Feels like a bot copy and pastes this comment in every thread made about a delay. If a game is delayed this close to release, it means that something's fucked up somewhere and needs to be fixed. They're not making the game better.

Last edited:

GHG

Feels like a bot copy and pastes this comment in every thread made about a delay. If a game is delayed this close to release, it means that something's fucked up somewhere and needs to be fixed. They're not making the game better.

Well done contradicting yourself.

GHG

Fixing something that broke doesn't make it better, it just puts it back to where it was before.

That's... Not how software development works.

Sometimes you implement something and it's broken until you fix it - as in, it never worked as intended until the bugs were fixed.

Fixing things and creating an experience that is as polished and bug free as possible makes the game better.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I do wish that people would stop lying about release dates. I know games are complicated, if thats the case, then dont announce a date until you’re 100 percent sure you can hit it. Ive never seen as many public delays in any other industry

Time to retire it.
The cost of "fixing" a bad game is almost as much as the cost of making the original game itself. It CAN be done, but it is so rarely done that you might as well ignore the outliers.

FFXIV is basically a brand new game after the reboot. And even though some people claim Fallout 76 isn't shit anymore, i still don't believe them. And that's just the games that survived.

Most of the time, the "fix the shit later" games end up dying before they get to fix anything. There is literally Youtube documentaries made about games like these.

Just because it is physically POSSIBLE to fix a released game, doesn't change the fact that it is exceedingly unlikely and cripplingly expensive.

So it is still a fact for 99% of shit games that get released today.

Javthusiast

Banned
So Duke Nukem Forever will eventually be good?

This saying has been debunked so many times. Sure, a delayed Miyamoto game will be good. But, often delays are a sign if development hell and are a poor sign.

Seems Gaf needs a huge Kappa emote, cause some of ya'll are clearly not getting memes and sarcasm here. xD

Topher

Gold Member
Original launch date was Aug 24. So 3.5 weeks before launch and they announce a one month delay.

You're telling me the just realized they need a delay now?

Why is that hard to believe? It isn't like they are delaying the game a year. It is just one month.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

GuinGuin

Banned
It's their first game. Not surprised. Smart to want the game to be as perfect as possible. No new studio wants to be known for releasing a buggy product.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well I’m a director of engineering and have been in the business for more than two decades. So if you want to start pulling credentials … I really tend to refrain from saying that sort of crap around here because it’s silly but I have a good deal of experience.

I’ll just put it this way.

No devs DON’T really know how long things are going to take unless you’re doing something you’ve done over and over again. Look how often games in general are delayed. Look at how badly major software projects are done a large amount of the time, from some of the biggest and most successful tech companies out there.

The problem with most software estimation is that often times people are attempting something new and most estimates are pulled right out of their rectum. Look at the timelines Tesla has given for their tech. Not even close. It’s like saying “how long to build me a flying car?” Well how can you answer that, if you’ve never built one? You don’t know what the task entails yet. Again it’s relatively easy to know how long it might take to do something you’ve had to build over and over, but if you’re in that particular situation I’d say you’re neither stretching nor growing.

And one more point. If you think you’ve solved how to estimate software delivery times you’d be one of the richest people on the planet because you are basically claiming to know the answers to every software company’s biggest problem. Rows and rows of books have been written on the subject. Managers blow this stuff constantly. Software engineers famously underestimate the amount of effort it takes to do their assigned tasks. Quoting Gantt charts and epics as a means of ensuring software timelines is absurdly hilarious. “Our software timelines were a disaster, and then we made a Gantt chart.”

If someone came to me and said they were able to accurately predict software projects, 100% of the time, or even “most” of the time I’d never hire that person. It would show they had a lack of experience, lack of humility, and also never took on very challenging projects where requirements change rapidly.

Again, this is a massively discussed and analyzed problem in this industry but apparently this studio is oh-so-poorly managed even though it’s their first ever game, and it’s been delayed a few months total so far. It’s just a completely ridiculous and disingenuous take and I can’t figure out why you’re trying to tear down this tiny studio over their similarly small delay.

I mean, if this is what you think of these people, if I look through your post history will you similarly bash 343i?

I love the kind of entertainment games can provide but instead of discussing great experiences, favorite games, etc., I find myself responding to absolute piles of bull that is posted here, and then I come across as a complainer, which I ain’t!

Might be time to log out for awhile. 🙂
Yes, software engineers underestimate LOEs and guess what, it's the management's job to pad those numbers. I mean you said it youself, they FAMOUSLY underestimate so a good management team should take that into account, no? It's curious that you're a director because in pretty much my first meeting in the industry, my Director of Engineering asked all the programmers the level of effort of the most minor change in our product. A simple 2-3 line change. One confident brown nosing engineer raised his hand and proudly say 1 Day! The director dismissed him, and told everyone that even the most basic changes need a 3 Day LOE due to the time it takes packaging, reviewing and testing the updates. He knew what engineers do.

If anything, thats precisely why we hire delivery analysts, consultants, product managers and project managers to manage what the engineers clearly cant manage themselves. They have pretty much become a standard in the industry, and you dismissing them is a microcosm of whats wrong with software development. The managers and directors who cannot deliver products on time when it's literally their ONLY job since they no longer code themselves. Lets dismiss salesforce while we are at it. Who needs that client facing platform when a simple phone call would do, eh?

Did you not see me bring up cd project? Why even bring up my post history or are you implying I am some sort of MS fanboy who would give 343i a past. If so, that's hilarious. Maybe you ought to look at my post history.

And lastly, it's not a small delay because this is not their first delay. This game was supposed to come out in march so they have basically missed their deadline by a half a year. That is not a small delay. Small studios vs big studios, apparently it doesnt matter which was precisely my point to begin with. No Man's Sky was a disaster. Also an indie game. Should we skip criticizing them just because they are indies? Bizarre.

You guys must be the GOAT developers then, because everywhere I've worked, even in small teams, projects get delayed all the time.

Even if everything was planned perfectly and finished on time, last minute changes or additional features that didn't seem necessary before will come up.

Also depends on the type of software. Some projects don't really care about release windows and don't require marketing. In game development you're often very hesitant to delay because of these things.
Well, in my industry, small delays are common but mostly on the client side. If the software provider misses dates then contracts are amended, free dev/support time is awarded, some clients even threaten lawsuits to get out of their contracts so we almost never miss our dates. We simply cant afford to. So yes, we do pad out our estimates. I have led teams with bad managers who made us work weekends and 12 hour days for months only to miss our dates and then make us do that again for another month. And I have worked with good managers who buy us that extra time and resources up front. That's because we all know that a SIX month delay is gonna cost us our jobs. At least in my industry. The CEO here is also the director. He probably plays the game everyday. He should know how far along they are.

I hinted at this above, but CD Proejct had devs doing crunch for almost a year. They did by first announcing an April release date knowing they could never meet it. So devs crunched for months until April when it was delayed to September. So devs once again crunched until September when it was delayed to November and then December. A full year long crunch. Same thing seems to have happened here. It's not acceptable when CD Project misleads their consumers, and overworks their employees, and its not ok when an indie studio does it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom