• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge of spirits delayed until Sept

NahaNago

I've got to admit my hype for this game dramatically dropped after that state of play gameplay it showed. It simply looked pretty but extremely barebones in the gameplay and the special effects.

What was up with it?
Had graphical corruption for a few weeks, then stopped outputting a video signal so my guess is the graphics card (or whatever these things have) failed?

I was also having issues with connectivity and had to keep factory resetting it to be able to access the store etc. Oh, and the database had to be rebuilt every few days… Had no choice but to send it in in the end, probably should have done it sooner but it was clinging to life…

Banjo64

cumsessed
Had graphical corruption for a few weeks, then stopped outputting a video signal so my guess is the graphics card (or whatever these things have) failed?

I was also having issues with connectivity and had to keep factory resetting it to be able to access the store etc. Oh, and the database had to be rebuilt every few days… Had no choice but to send it in in the end, probably should have done it sooner but it was clinging to life…
Bad luck mate.

Topher

Gold Member
I hinted at this above, but CD Proejct had devs doing crunch for almost a year. They did by first announcing an April release date knowing they could never meet it. So devs crunched for months until April when it was delayed to September. So devs once again crunched until September when it was delayed to November and then December. A full year long crunch. Same thing seems to have happened here. It's not acceptable when CD Project misleads their consumers, and overworks their employees, and its not ok when an indie studio does it.

Wait.....where are you getting this comparison to CDPR from? Same thing "seems" to have happened here? Where was this reported?

VALCON 82

I'm looking forward to this game but actually don't mind this delay because It was close to No More Heroes III release, so I don't have to jump between these two games.

But then again in September Tale of Arise comes out
tenor.gif
THIS THIS THIS!!!

supernova8

Banned
lol I am a software architect and have been developing software for over 11 years. I think I have an idea on how this stuff works.

The game was supposed to be released in April. Then delayed to August and now again by a month. Devs usually know how long stuff takes. We know when we are behind. This is on upper management who dont have their ear to the ground. They talk to the Project Managers who tell them what they want to hear. The project managers talk to the Team leads who tell them what they want to hear. Meanwhile the devs are typically shy and quiet types who just end up working weekends and 12 hour shifts knowing they would never meet the deadlines anyway.

In smaller 20-40 person studios, I expect VPs and execs to have access to Gantts, Epics and the latest builds. The fact that this game was delayed multiple times tells me that they have a communication gap. When they gave that first date to Sony, they were talking to the wrong people. When they gave that second date to everyone, they were still talking to the wrong people. You can look at what the cd project developers were saying. Everyone knew that the game was 18 months behind but they kept saying it would release in Spring 2020. then september. then november. and then finally december. I expect that from a big AAA studio like CD Project which manages over 500 employees. Not from two guys from animation studios who are struggling to run a small studio.

This scene in Silicon Valley perfectly encapsulates what software development is like at most big companies.

Having worked as an account manager at a custom software dev house, yeah this is literally what it's like. Luckily our engineers were quite vocal in saying something is taking much longer than expected. It was always the project manager who tried to sugar coat stuff because we (sales/account management) and higher up operations would immediately blame PM rather than devs.

Our solution architects (ie a dressed up way of saying senior engineers who know how to talk to other human beings heh) usually just took whatever estimate the dev team gave them, then added a third on top, and then add like a fifth on top of that. That way we usually managed to hit the deadline unless the client drastically changed the requirements/scope.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

A year delay is better than a month delay. This doesn’t smell good. Cyberpunk delayed for a month and didn’t save the game
This game has been playable, and feedback was really good. That said, we'll just have to wait and see, because there's no backsies on a delay.

Quasicat

I’m pretty sure it is. I have been super pumped to play this game, but my friends have never heard of it. They are staunch supporters of physical to where they do not buy or download any digital games. If it were coming to retail, even through Likited Run Games, they would know about it.

yeah. crackdown 3 was delayed like 5 times and it was still shit.
Crackdown was a tech demo released as a game to people who didn't know better, proofs:

Bad art direction, these characters were clearly drawn by the programmers.
CD3_Campaign_4K_Step_Up_Your_Boom.0.png

The levels are made to show the tech as opposed to be played.

Last Guardian was delayed like 10 years. The idea that more money and more time automatically fixes everything is weird. If only it was that easy...
On the other hand half life 2 and most ND games were delayed... Often times a few months or a year makes what was probably a good game a god tier game.

However, if the project is rotten to the core even a million years will not make it good.

Zones

I know this is Deathloop week and all, but isn't it weird there wasn't a peep about this game in the showcase? It's releasing next week and in the past Sony put it a couple of times in the spotlight.
Yeah, and apparently review codes are not being sent out yet, so I fear mock reviews might have been far from glowing, hence, Sony might be slightly distancing themselves from the game already.

Really hope that’s not the case though.

Top Bottom