• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar halts performance after white fan he invited on stage says N-word

TrainedRage

Banned
Self requested ban from the bore because they are awful, generally. Perma’d on Era for being too inflammatory to other posters who deserved it. They have a problem with preferring negative peace over positive justice on Era. But I actually think the same is even more true of GAF.

You can cut the act though. We don’t have to be friends. I know who you are, and based on your beliefs (and that ginger thread especially) we will never get along.

It's honestly not an act. I'm not 'trying to be your friend', just saw you were 'new' here and trying to learn a bit about you; i'm genuinely curious.

I will admit to being a bit of an outspoken jackass who makes edgy jokes that I probably shouldn't. I tried to make that thread as a 'light-hearted' discussion about what insults are and aren't ok and why.
I bet if we met in real life we would get along. Plus opposites attract, I mean that's why you are here right? ;)

Just for my curiosity what beliefs do you think I have that you wouldn't gel with? I have no problems with people calling out my shit.

CreamCream

Banned
It's honestly not an act. I'm not 'trying to be your friend', just saw you were 'new' here and trying to learn a bit about you; i'm genuinely curious.

I will admit to being a bit of an outspoken jackass who makes edgy jokes that I probably shouldn't. I tried to make that thread as a 'light-hearted' discussion about what insults are and aren't ok and why.
I bet if we met in real life we would get along. Plus opposites attract, I mean that's why you are here right? ;)

Just for my curiosity what beliefs do you think I have that you wouldn't gel with? I have no problems with people calling out my shit.
I can answer that question if you could mine.

Just refresh my memory, were you in one of the other place threads about Dave Chappelle, where the topic of his trans jokes frequently came up?

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I can answer that question if you could mine.

Just refresh my memory, were you in one of the other place threads about Dave Chappelle, where the topic of his trans jokes frequently came up?

I don't think so. I was in the Jim Carrey one, that got me a 'perma'.
I have absolutely no beef with the trans community, if I said something, it was out of ignorance I can assure you that. I'm so unsure about even my own sexuality I can't criticize others for theirs. If that makes any sense.

Eh, I don't feel the word is inherently bad.

When used as an insult it shouldn't be said you're right.

But my belief is that either it's ok for everyone to say or no one to say.

I think you are getting side tracked by just the sight of the word. Please call me out if I use it as a personal insult. But if you want to discuss it I'm game.

Generally, no one should be saying the n-word with the hard ER. Black people sure don't conversationally. Especially never say it to a black person. It's best that we all keep it out of our mouths.

Your work buddy may be comfortable with you using nigga around him, that's between you two.

CreamCream

Banned
I don't think so. I was in the Jim Carrey one, that got me a 'perma'.
I have absolutely no beef with the trans community, if I said something, it was out of ignorance I can assure you that. I'm so unsure about even my own sexuality I can't criticize others for theirs. If that makes any sense.
Then I apologize, I must have had you confused with someone else. Sincerely apologies.

The ginger thread still leaves a very sour taste. I’m gonna trigger GAF and say you get the “side-eye”.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Then I apologize, I must have had you confused with someone else. Sincerely apologies.

The ginger thread still leaves a very sour taste. I’m gonna trigger GAF and say you get the “side-eye”.
Are you "side-eyeing" my hair? :eek: Unacceptable! Nah, i'm sure you will have an uphill battle here but its fun to argue with the other side sometimes. I don't mean to offend.... Unless its a really funny joke.

Self requested ban from the bore because they are awful, generally. Perma’d on Era for being too inflammatory to other posters who deserved it. They have a problem with preferring negative peace over positive justice on Era. But I actually think the same is even more true of GAF.

You can cut the act though. We don’t have to be friends. I know who you are, and based on your beliefs (and that ginger thread especially) we will never get along.
I’ve seen enough TrainedRage TrainedRage posts to say I believe he isn’t being fake or acting. Of course that’s just my view.

Honestly, all the white people who love saying it during songs, wish they would in public so I know who to avoid.

You see, I exist in the real world. So I understand the difference between a black person saying it and a white person. I am black. If you think me getting offended by white people saying it is “irrational” you are the one who needs a reality check.

For clarification, and just so I understand where you're coming from, which groups of people saying the word do you have an issue with?

1) White people who rap the word in a song, but would not do so in public, and do not say it beyond that.

2) White people who rap the word in a song, and would do so in public, but do not say it beyond that.

3) White people who don't want to say the word, and also think black people should stop using the word.

4) Black people who don't want to say the word, and also think other black people should stop using the word.

5) Black people who also use the word to refer to white people, as a general replacement for "guy."

6) Black people who have close white friends who they don't mind saying the word.

7) White people who make this argument about the phrase "the n-word." Basically "say the word itself, not 'the n-word' as you're still making people hear it without taking responsibility for saying it."

8) Black people who agree with that argument.

So just listing the numbers, which of those numbers do you disagree with? If I'm putting my cards on the table, I disagree with 2 and 6. But I also recognize that all of this is very subjective, and I'm not going to be judgmental of those who disagree with me.

I said that I get uncomfortable by white people freely using the word when singing songs. I also get uncomfortable and upset when white people use it to insult and denigrate black people. I don't have a problem with white characters saying it in movies (usually), but it is still an uncomfortable word.

Please stop pretending that this is complicated. It's not.

You yourself just used the word 'usually' when referring to when you do and do not have an issue with the word being said by white people in a movie. Of course this is complicated. If it wasn't, everyone would agree or disagree with the exact same numbers of the examples I listed above.

I know Spike Lee and Katt Williams disagree with with Quentin Tarantino using the word in his movies, and I know Samuel L Jackson and Jamie Foxx are fine with it. Which do you side with, and are the others WRONG, or do they just have a different opinion?

I've seen arguments that it was racist of the people who wrote GTA5 to use the word in their game, because the writers are white. Do you agree with that? Does it change things to know that some of their dialogue was re-written by black people in the cast to sound more authentic?

If this wasn't complicated, non-racist people would agree on all of this. Instead, there's a lot of disagreement about all of this, and the fact is no one is "correct." People just have their opinions, and a lot of people think their opinions should be everyone's opinions.

And for the record, my opinion is that it was a bad idea for Kendrick to bring up a white fan to rap that song in the first place, and it was a bad idea of that white fan to say that word on stage. I was reminded of when Busta Rhymes had a contest to see who could rap a pretty difficult part of one of his songs. In the video of him listening to people attempting to do so, he seemed thankful and appreciative of the white rappers who censored themselves. It was a respectful thing to do, and his appreciation seemed to indicate his acknowledgement that there were no guarantees that people were going to do that.

Regardless, I'm still a big fan of Kendrick, though. And welcome to the forum.

CreamCream

Banned
For clarification, and just so I understand where you're coming from, which groups of people saying the word do you have an issue with?

1) White people who rap the word in a song, but would not do so in public, and do not say it beyond that.

2) White people who rap the word in a song, and would do so in public, but do not say it beyond that.

3) White people who don't want to say the word, and also think black people should stop using the word.

4) Black people who don't want to say the word, and also think other black people should stop using the word.

5) Black people who also use the word to refer to white people, as a general replacement for "guy."

6) Black people who have close white friends who they don't mind saying the word.

7) White people who make this argument about the phrase "the n-word." Basically "say the word itself, not 'the n-word' as you're still making people hear it without taking responsibility for saying it."

8) Black people who agree with that argument.

So just listing the numbers, which of those numbers do you disagree with? If I'm putting my cards on the table, I disagree with 2 and 6. But I also recognize that all of this is very subjective, and I'm not going to be judgmental of those who disagree with me.

You yourself just used the word 'usually' when referring to when you do and do not have an issue with the word being said by white people in a movie. Of course this is complicated. If it wasn't, everyone would agree or disagree with the exact same numbers of the examples I listed above.

I know Spike Lee and Katt Williams disagree with with Quentin Tarantino using the word in his movies, and I know Samuel L Jackson and Jamie Foxx are fine with it. Which do you side with, and are the others WRONG, or do they just have a different opinion?

I've seen arguments that it was racist of the people who wrote GTA5 to use the word in their game, because the writers are white. Do you agree with that? Does it change things to know that some of their dialogue was re-written by black people in the cast to sound more authentic?

If this wasn't complicated, non-racist people would agree on all of this. Instead, there's a lot of disagreement about all of this, and the fact is no one is "correct." People just have their opinions, and a lot of people think their opinions should be everyone's opinions.

And for the record, my opinion is that it was a bad idea for Kendrick to bring up a white fan to rap that song in the first place, and it was a bad idea of that white fan to say that word on stage. I was reminded of when Busta Rhymes had a contest to see who could rap a pretty difficult part of one of his songs. In the video of him listening to people attempting to do so, he seemed thankful and appreciative of the white rappers who censored themselves. It was a respectful thing to do, and his appreciation seemed to indicate his acknowledgement that there were no guarantees that people were going to do that.

Regardless, I'm still a big fan of Kendrick, though. And welcome to the forum.
1, 2, 3, 7 And 8 I don’t agree with.

I think Tarantino has an obsession with the word and knows he has the freedom to get away with using it as much as he wants in his films. I appreciate his attention to tact and emotional accuracy in Django, but the dude wishes he was black, and throws around the n-word way too much. Can’t make him stop, still watch his movies, but I don’t like it.

I agree that both Kendrick and the fan led to this happening. Luckily it seems they both get that too, and she recognized she shouldn’t have said it, and he was appreciative.

CreamCream

Banned
Posted at 3:00PM and still allowed.

I thought NeoGAF was better now.
Lol I didn’t.

The fact that the ginger thread is even allowed shows where GAFs priorities are now.

THAT is the “polite, measured discussion where both sides listen to the other and aren’t aggressive” that all these people were whining for before.

We always knew what it really meant.

None of the people who were whining about echo chambers or being respectful to those of different views have even called out that post, at all.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Posted at 3:00PM and still allowed.

I thought NeoGAF was better now.

It would be awesome if you were black, because you would exactly prove my point.

Yes, NeoGAF is better now, you can actually criticize others groups of people, not only and exclusively white people.

But the likes that think like you are always crazy for censorship and imposing their ideology, so it's not really a surprise that post triggered you and you demand for it to be erased.

The funny thing is that if that post was about white people you would find it not offensive at all. And we all know it.

CreamCream

Banned
It would be awesome if you were black, because you would exactly prove my point.

Yes, NeoGAF is better now, you can actually criticize others groups of people, not only and exclusively white people.

But the likes that think like you are always crazy for censorship and imposing their ideology, so it's not really a surprise that post triggered you and you demand for it to be erased.

The funny thing is that if that post was about white people you would find it not offensive at all. And we all know it.
Except you’ll throw out that line at ANY case of a black person being offended regardless of how legitimate because having empathy is too hard for you.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
but the dude wishes he was black

This for example is a million times worst post, but our friend Subpar Spatula doesn't care at all, because is a post criticizing white people, and then it's all good.

Can we all imagine what our friend Subpar Spatula would be saying if someone said "Kendrick Lamar wishes he was white"?

Double standards are the name of their game.

Except you’ll throw out that line at ANY case of a black person being offended regardless of how legitimate because having empathy is too hard for you.

I don't have empathy for people who want to be offended by a girl singing a song they are fine with when someone they share skin with sing it. Especially when then they use that as an excuse to become bullies.

Last edited:

CreamCream

Banned
This for example is a million times worst post, but our friend Subpar Spatula doesn't care at all, because is a post criticizing white people, and then it's all good.

Can we all imagine what our friend Subpar Spatula would be saying if someone said "Kendrick Lamar wishes he was white"?

Double standards are the name of their game.

I don't have empathy for people who want to be offended by a girl singing a song they are fine with when someone they share skin with sing it. Especially when then they use that as an excuse to become bullies.
Perhaps neoPETS is a more appropriate site for you if the complexities of racial hierarchy and power in America are too complicated for you. Otherwise, there’s plenty of scholars you could look into on the top.

Here in the real world, a number of mature adults will continue to see the painful history of the word for what it is.

The thing that gets me with Internet nerds is this fetish they have with context ONLY when it suits their desires. So, the context of a white person not having malicious intent in their usage of the n-word is sacrosanct, but the context of the loaded history of the word, including its omnipresent usage as an identifier of blacks as being “lesser than white people”, racial inequality, and the feelings of the black people who have to hear that language and deal with that painful history more than you ever will, is NEVER considered.

I do not think Kendrick is completely free of blame. He invited her on the stage, and I certainly wouldn’t assume she would know to not say it. But I also blame her for saying it. Both of them seem to understand this. She apologized. He acknowledged her apology and her as a fan. That’s the far more measured, matured version of the interaction that a lot on GAF would have trouble with.

If this happened to a gaffer, I wonder if they would start screaming at Kanye about how he wrote it in the song, and that he’s an over sensitive baby that needs to get over it because slavery has been over for 150 years and he’s the real racist because he has a word he doesn’t want someone to say based on their skin color.

I think this would be a fair trade: white people can say the n-word without upsetting black people, and black people get all the benefits of being white and stop being systematically oppressed and negative impacted by racial bias in every areas of their lives. Deal?

Papa

Banned

How about we don’t criticise anyone by their group identity?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lol I didn’t.

The fact that the ginger thread is even allowed shows where GAFs priorities are now.

THAT is the “polite, measured discussion where both sides listen to the other and aren’t aggressive” that all these people were whining for before.

We always knew what it really meant.

None of the people who were whining about echo chambers or being respectful to those of different views have even called out that post, at all.

Hi. A couple things:

-If you don't like a poster, don't get along, and don't want to get along...ignore list. If you feel they're breaching the rules....report function. You're getting way personal here and aggressively so. I don't care whether you like or dislike another user here. No one else does either. This forum is not about you and who you like or dislike. It's for discussing things. If you have an interesting perspective, have the means of expressing it, and would like to: by all means.

-We're done with "side-eyeing" so-called "disingenuous" posting. Everything ended up being disingenuous. Everything can be perceived as a dog whistle -- just look at Elon Musk's comment about who owns the press the other day. It's lost all meaning. TrainedRage TrainedRage was employing satire for effect, and rather benignly. You're welcome to your opinion about his character or whatever, but it's of no relevance to the boards so keep it to yourself. Participate where you want to, don't participate where you don't want to. Engage positions first, not people.

I don't care who you are. You're here so you're a NeoGAF poster. Cool. Your standing here is based on the strength of your arguments, how well you back your shit up, and how well you maintain some respect and civility with your fellow posters. I see a lot of grandstanding and talking up yourself. No one cares. You're on a video game message board on the internet. We don't care about your identity or forum history or where you've been banned from. We care about what you bring to the discussion.

Let's see some of that. Thanks. <3

CreamCream

Banned
Hi. A couple things:

-If you don't like a poster, don't get along, and don't want to get along...ignore list. If you feel they're breaching the rules....report function. You're getting way personal here and aggressively so. I don't care whether you like or dislike another user here. No one else does either. This forum is not about you and who you like or dislike. It's for discussing things. If you have an interesting perspective, have the means of expressing it, and would like to: by all means.

-We're done with "side-eyeing" so-called "disingenuous" posting. Everything ended up being disingenuous. Everything can be perceived as a dog whistle -- just look at Elon Musk's comment about who owns the press the other day. It's lost all meaning. TrainedRage TrainedRage was employing satire for effect, and rather benignly. You're welcome to your opinion about his character or whatever, but it's of no relevance to the boards so keep it to yourself. Participate where you want to, don't participate where you don't want to. Engage positions first, not people.

I don't care who you are. You're here so you're a NeoGAF poster. Cool. Your standing here is based on the strength of your arguments, how well you back your shit up, and how well you maintain some respect and civility with your fellow posters. I see a lot of grandstanding and talking up yourself. No one cares. You're on a video game message board on the internet. We don't care about your identity or forum history or where you've been banned from. We care about what you bring to the discussion.

I posted facts on history and the experiences of black oppression and it was ignored and I was called a troll. And responded to with “black people are too offended.”

I posted several images of how damaging and omnipresent the use of the word has been in American history but a mod deleted it as not being “relevant”

Here’s one of them:

black-history-01.jpg

That racist ginger thread most certainly is not “benign”.

You recently expressed a desire to stop the “us vs them”. If you really want to dismiss the ginger thread as “benign satire” you are part of the problem.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned

It is ok to never get along or never become friends as long as you can co-exist. Sometimes the best you can hope for is peaceful co-existance.

Last edited:

Dunki

I posted facts on history and the experiences of black oppression and it was ignored and I was called a troll. And responded to with “black people are too offended.”

I posted several images of how damaging and omnipresent the use of the word has been in American history but a mod deleted it as not being “relevant”

Here’s one of them:

black-history-01.jpg

That racist ginger thread most certainly is not “benign”.

You recently expressed a desire to stop the “us vs them”. If you really want to dismiss the ginger thread as “benign satire” you are part of the problem.
I know you are banned but Is still waht to reply to this. This camp is bullshit and everyone should not be ok with this. However we are firstly not talking about the R one but rather the A one. And here whats really important is the context and the intention how you use it. And I will say it again if you want it or not but this word is not outlawed for white people doing so would mean discrimination. You can be ok with it and you can not be ok with it. But when some people argue that I would just kick the shit out of these people not the one who said is is wrong but the person who acts on it since violence is clearly against the law.

You can not tell people of a different race not to use it, not to wear it etc. You can try to tell EVERYONE not to wear or say it. But thats about it.

Although I don't always agree with TrainedRage TrainedRage 's opinions, I don't think he's a bad person. On the contrary. While I don't participate much in topics about personal problems because I prefer more fact based discussions, I've often seen him express some heartfelt words to those who are going through some rough times, no matter who they are. It's something that I can appreciate a lot more than the hollow virtue-signaling by the person above who got banned and whose empathy seems to be only skin deep. I can separate politics from the person, but it seems that in the hyper-politicized age of american culture, this has become an impossible thing to do for most people. Having an affiliation to a certain political group doesn't automatically make you a good person.

It didn't even take a whole day until said person tried to dictate the content, demanding for certain topics to be deleted or posters to be banned. Ironically perpetuating the same mindset that got said person banned from that other place for daring to criticize an 'oppressed minority' while being part of the same minority group. Spamming the forums with low effort posts that seem to apply the quantity over quality approach and throwing around the same buzzwords like a broken record in order to sound smart.

I don't give a rat's rear end about your identity, if I find your arguments to be lacking, I'll hold you to the same level of scrutiny as everybody else. I'm sorry, but your immutable characteristics as a person don't make your arguments immune against criticism. Anything else will only lead to absurdist conclusions as demonstrated over at the topic about Elon Musk. No amount of virtue signaling can hide that fact that it's only a thin veneer for your weak arguments and your shitty tribalistic personality. If you want to make this world a better place, start with yourself!

Lots of topics here don't tickle my particular fancy. You know what I do if I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute? I stay out of it. It's as simple as that. But nah, nowadays everybody needs to have an opinion on everything, no matter how uninformed their views.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Perhaps neoPETS is a more appropriate site for you if the complexities of racial hierarchy and power in America are too complicated for you. Otherwise, there’s plenty of scholars you could look into on the top.

You may as well sent me to Women Studies and their "scholars", because their conclusions are the same: the evil white men is oppressing us.

The thing that gets me with Internet nerds is this fetish they have with context ONLY when it suits their desires. So, the context of a white person not having malicious intent in their usage of the n-word is sacrosanct, but the context of the loaded history of the word, including its omnipresent usage as an identifier of blacks as being “lesser than white people”, racial inequality, and the feelings of the black people who have to hear that language and deal with that painful history more than you ever will, is NEVER considered.

A lot of words are loaded, but your pain about that insult is sacrosanct and based on that you think you have the right to police the use of that word based on the color of the skin of who says it.

Your ancestors being a victim of a tragic past doesn't give you the right to do as you please now.

I do not think Kendrick is completely free of blame. He invited her on the stage, and I certainly wouldn’t assume she would know to not say it. But I also blame her for saying it. Both of them seem to understand this. She apologized. He acknowledged her apology and her as a fan. That’s the far more measured, matured version of the interaction that a lot on GAF would have trouble with.

She apologized because otherwise she would be labeled a racist, a nazi, a white supremacist and her life would be ruined.

And everything just because she went to a rap concert and the rapper put her on the stage to sing one of his songs.

If this happened to a gaffer, I wonder if they would start screaming at Kanye about how he wrote it in the song, and that he’s an over sensitive baby that needs to get over it because slavery has been over for 150 years and he’s the real racist because he has a word he doesn’t want someone to say based on their skin color.

I would never go to a Kendrick Lamar concert, that's for sure. But for the sake of it, let's imagine I was there and he picked me up to sing his song, if he had the same reaction and stoped me for singing that song, I would simply ask him: I can't sing that song because I'm white? Then why did you choose me then? And then I would leave.

The funny thing is that I'm half gipsy, but neither Kendrick Lamar or his public would care about it, because they are only going to see my white skin. They wouldn't care at all that my ancestors have been at the very least as persecuted as theirs, they just want to feel offended.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Really just boils down to : If you take the white womans money then you have to let her sing along.
Doesn't get more basic than that.

Then suggesting that Kendrick records his songs in two versions, one for people that can not say the word(whites) and those that find it deeply offensive no matter WHO says it(africans) and another version for everyone else just does not sound reality based.

An edited version of a song is many all the time. Have you not heard of edited albums before? Is this a new concept for you? They are on basically all streaming apps now. The songs don't only edit the "N" word out.

Some black people are so thirsty to become offended it's ridiculous.
Sorry, but this is just lazy. One thing I have liked about NeoGAF since the split is that arguments tend to be backed up. This is just a random statement with no actual basis.

Sure, some people do like to play the offended card and of course others don't. What does that have to do with anything? It's the content of the argument made as to why someone is offended that counts. I don't think CreamCream was out of line being annoyed by the Ginger thread even if it was meant as simple satire. It's a touchy subject and there are obvious reasons that black people are bothered by such trite comparisons between a word so heavily linked to their oppression and a banal insult.

As for Lamar. I think there is room for genuine, thoughtful, discussion about the use of the word in song lyrics and who gets to sing them. I personally would just avoid saying it altogether because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth but I also have a distaste when it comes to banning the use of it when someone is simply singing a long with what the creator of the work intended.

Last edited:

decisions

I think ultimately this will be viewed as hilariously backwards.

We can’t have “black language”, “white language”, etc. It’s just that simple because racial identity doesn’t mean very much.

The endgoal is to become a post-racial society IMO. Therefore we need to stop giving words so much power. You should really never say racial slurs, but if you write them in your song and then humiliate a fan and imply that she is a racist for using it then you must be consumed by the idea of race. Which is, of course, incongruent with true post-racialism/equality.

Jon Neu

Banned
Sorry, but this is just lazy. One thing I have liked about NeoGAF since the split is that arguments tend to be backed up. This is just a random statement with no actual basis.

Lazy is you just not reading any of my other posts.

But I don't have to write the bible either, I'm in a thread about a young girl being antagonized and called a bitch, whore and a racist because he sang a song with a black rapper the way the rapper sings it. That itself it's the proof some black people are incredibly thirsty to become offended.

Lazy is you just not reading any of my other posts.

But I don't have to write the bible either, I'm in a thread about a young girl being antagonized and called a bitch, whore and a racist because he sang a song with a black rapper the way the rapper sings it. That itself it's the proof some black people are incredibly thirsty to become offended.

Each of your posts should stand on their own. I have read the rest of your content as well.

As for the young woman being antagonized and called a bitch, whore and a racist because she sang a song with an inflammatory word in it I would have to say that those individuals doing such things have their own set of problems that exist beyond simply being offended. People being offended by something does not give them free reign to be slanderous, insulting or demeaning. Unfortunately, we see a lot of people doing just that in these sorts of discussions. Being offended over something like this, I don't think you need to be thirsty, but if someone is using it just as an excuse to attack someone, that needs to be dealt with.

If people want to be offended they can go ahead and be offended, I'm not going to police them. If they are going to come online to discuss it they need to be able to argue their position without being insulting. That's all I ask.

Hi. A couple things:

I reported it. Nothing happened. So what you're saying is black people shouldn't be offended by a white person using the N word?

If you don't care for this place, then leave.
Insert Cathy Newman meme here
Well, if reporting a post that's obviously vile gets zero response from the mod team or admins, it becomes pretty clear as to what kind of content is allowed. You said you didn't want this to be a KiwiFarms, NeoFAG, Voat, etc type thread or forum but it's pretty clear the same talking points are allowed here, they're just not as extreme because I'm pretty sure you even have a hard line in the sand against clear, racist remarks or targeted attacks but going, "black people are so thirsty to become offended" is allowed when in regards to a white person saying the N word.

I don't know what to tell ya, I believe your plan of keeping this place not those places isn't working.

Last edited:

pr0cs

. That itself it's the proof some black people are incredibly thirsty to become offended.
I don't think it's only black people but the notion these days is outrage politics. Feels like people are just looking for a reason to be offended by something and bring out the torches and pitchforks. I would be willing to bet that a large number of white people in the crowd were also booing her, rather than thinking about the situation at hand.
I hate the term but sjw seems to apply.

I'm offended that you're offended about me being offended

I don't think it's only black people but the notion these days is outrage politics. Feels like people are just looking for a reason to be offended by something and bring out the torches and pitchforks. I would be willing to bet that a large number of white people in the crowd were also booing her, rather than thinking about the situation at hand.
I hate the term but sjw seems to apply.

I'm offended that you're offended about me being offended
It was a white person saying the N word. Why would black people not be offended? I gotta ask, do you say the N word freely in front of black people? You should, and just go, "why are you offended?"

pr0cs

It was a white person saying the N word. Why would black people not be offended? I gotta ask, do you say the N word freely in front of black people? You should, and just go, "why are you offended?"
Oh I'm not saying some of them might be upset, I'm saying that all races pissed off that she used the word are being unreasonable. The word simply shouldn't exist in anyone's vernacular, but if it's used in media should she self censor herself even though she was invited to perform the song? The whole thing smacks of insensitivity from both the artist and the fan

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I would never go to a Kendrick Lamar concert, that's for sure.

I've gone to three Kendrick Lamar concerts. Let's real talk for a sec (not putting you on blast, just using this snippet as a bouncing off point)

-People sing along with their favorite artists at concerts. It's a show of appreciation and respect for the artist, and a communal thing between the concert goers.

-People don't sing along with Kendrick as much as, say, an anthem rock band, lol, because Kendrick's lyrics and flow are challenging, but you'll get more engagement with the chorus and with the big hits etc. as usual.

-Most Kendrick Lamar fans are not black. Kendrick knows this. Kendrick also knows how concerts work and how singing along with an artist's lyrics is a sign of respect and appreciation.

-You don't go to a concert for an artist you like and draft up a set of guidelines for yourself about what part of the lyrics you're going to self-censor. That being said, white people in the United States are always aware of this stuff and usually have sorted out their dos and don'ts. Yes, it's usually a reflection of your "comfort level" to some degree, but a concert environment in a big crowd is not a place where you're going to be racially insensitive if you choose to sing along with Kendrick Lamar with or without bleeps. Also people at concerts are at the very least drunk/high and trying to feel and connect with the music and get lost in it. "Do I bleep the n-bombs" is soooooo not a thing you want to be thinking about one way or another. At concerts: some people do, some people don't. Generally white folks self-censor or keep their voices down, but no one cares unless it's that one white guy with a chip on his shoulder who's had way too much to drink and yells out each n-bomb with emphasis.

-Kendrick handled this less than ideally. A concert-goer getting pulled up on stage to sing along is an intense, overwhelming situation for the concert attendee, but it's home base for Kendrick. With the above context, I don't think he should be shaming his fan for singing along with his own lyrics. It's a tricky situation, obviously, since this is an explosive and complex issue in general culturally in the United States and I'm sure Kendrick has a lot to say about the word and so forth. I also don't hold it against him too much, since everything gets blown up on social media now beyond all sense and reason, and I doubt he was thinking about a shitstorm erupting one way or another from all this either.

I don't blame the concert-goer or Kendrick particularly. Shit happens. Social media is ridiculous. We've had an interesting discussion about it here though, and that's fine.

Oh I'm not saying some of them might be upset, I'm saying that all races pissed off that she used the word are being unreasonable. The word simply shouldn't exist in anyone's vernacular, but if it's used in media should she self censor herself even though she was invited to perform the song? The whole thing smacks of insensitivity from both the artist and the fan
Yes. Bleep it out. Isn't your word to say. Being invited on stage isn't a pass to say racist stuff. Kendrick Lamar could tell a white person he can say the N word but that's not a blanket pass from black people. Other black people will take offence because it's a racist word used to demean them.

Why wouldn't other people be upset? Like, do you not care about religious bigotry? Why would straight people care LGBTQ are being killed or jailed for life in countries? You're drawing one hell of an arbitrary line.

Jon Neu

Banned
I don't think it's only black people but the notion these days is outrage politics.

Well, of course. But in this thread is more specifically about black people and the notion they have the power to police who or who can't say the N word,
but I'm sure a lot of whites in that concert reacted the same way.

I've gone to three Kendrick Lamar concerts. Let's real talk for a sec (not putting you on blast, just using this snippet as a bouncing off point)

-People sing along with their favorite artists at concerts. It's a show of appreciation and respect for the artist, and a communal thing between the concert goers.

-People don't sing along with Kendrick as much as, say, an anthem rock band, lol, because Kendrick's lyrics and flow are challenging, but you'll get more engagement with the chorus and with the big hits etc. as usual.

-Most Kendrick Lamar fans are not black. Kendrick knows this. Kendrick also knows how concerts work and how singing along with an artist's lyrics is a sign of respect and appreciation.

-You don't go to a concert for an artist you like and draft up a set of guidelines for yourself about what part of the lyrics you're going to self-censor. That being said, white people in the United States are always aware of this stuff and usually have sorted out their dos and don'ts. Yes, it's usually a reflection of your "comfort level" to some degree, but a concert environment in a big crowd is not a place where you're going to be racially insensitive if you choose to sing along with Kendrick Lamar with or without bleeps. Also people at concerts are at the very least drunk/high and trying to feel and connect with the music and get lost in it. "Do I bleep the n-bombs" is soooooo not a thing you want to be thinking about one way or another. At concerts: some people do, some people don't. Generally white folks self-censor or keep their voices down, but no one cares unless it's that one white guy with a chip on his shoulder who's had way too much to drink and yells out each n-bomb with emphasis.

-Kendrick handled this less than ideally. A concert-goer getting pulled up on stage to sing along is an intense, overwhelming situation for the concert attendee, but it's home base for Kendrick. With the above context, I don't think he should be shaming his fan for singing along with his own lyrics. It's a tricky situation, obviously, since this is an explosive and complex issue in general culturally in the United States and I'm sure Kendrick has a lot to say about the word and so forth. I also don't hold it against him too much, since everything gets blown up on social media now beyond all sense and reason, and I doubt he was thinking about a shitstorm erupting one way or another from all this either.

I don't blame the concert-goer or Kendrick particularly. Shit happens. Social media is ridiculous. We've had an interesting discussion about it here though, and that's fine.

I'm not trying to disrespect Kendrick Lamar or anything, is just that I don't particularly like rap.

I was going to respond you but I pretty much agree with everything you said. I give Lamar a little bit more of responsability, though. He should have protected more the girl and he should have taken a stand against the insults she was facing.

Yes. Bleep it out. Isn't your word to say. Being invited on stage isn't a pass to say racist stuff.

You done here with your aggressive posturing and sanctimonious outrage on the behalf of others? You're one of those people who can't stomach others having different opinions and if your words aren't enough to have it your way, you go crying for mod intervention. Finally, if all else fails, you just start smearing this place. This is not how you make people take your arguments seriously, on the contrary!

I'm not even a native English speaker, so I couldn't care less about your taboo words. But I do care about that girl who's now being demeaned on social media for daring to sing along with a song. Context matters and if you'd apply a little bit of common sense to this particular incident, you'd see that there's really nothing to be all that outraged about. The fact that she's been attending Lamar's concert, that she clearly likes him and his music and that she knows his songs by heart quite evidently proves that she's not a racist.

But oh no, somebody said a bad word, quick let's abandon all common sense, call Tipper Gore and gasp in unison!

361343.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Please don't encourage shit posting by baiting others
The fact that she's been attending Lamar's concert, the she clearly likes him and his music and that she knows his songs by heart quite evidently proves that she's not a racist.

Dude, you don't know what you have done.

Now they are going to say things like "oh, the I have a black friend excuse, ugh".

They are here to spot the racist and earn their superiority moral badges. That girl is a racist, end of the story.

Now let me educate you about why everything wrong in my life is white people's fault.

Top Bottom