• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘That’s our word, and you can’t have it back’: Ice Cube confronts Bill Maher

No, it's pure being able to read a human being's facial expression. Maher is completely checked out through that whole thing. He can't wait for it to be over.
Or it's projection. I watched the entire episode and thought Maher was actually interested in the conversation.
But if they reboot 'Lie to Me', I'll make sure you're given the lead role.
Some people won't give a second chance. It's amazing how many people have never made a mistake.

Or it's projection. I watched the entire episode and thought Maher was actually interested in the conversation.
Some people won't give a second chance. It's amazing how many people have never made a mistake.

A second chance to the same guy who is complete shit? Who just casually said the n word and then went to make a joke of slavery? Riiiight.

Woooooooow didn't know that

I can tell someone doesn't read youtube and news article comment lol.

That's the shit they use every time a Black person is killed. Always in a mocking tone. "I'm sure he dindu nuffin" The point is Black life has no value to people like that.

And historically we have the word because Black life was only worth as much labor they could steal from them.

All those centuries later mofos wanna lecture us on how we have adapted the vernacular? No thank you. I'll stop saying it when I can use my reparation money to get vocabulary lessons...

Skilletor

I'm black and have literally never called anybody any variation of the word.

That the word came so easily to his mouth is a sign that he uses it on the regular.

That wasn't a mistake, that was a peak under the mask.

Second chance to the guy who is proud that he helped Coulter and Conway start their careers, who wants to help relaunch Milo's...

Second chances are for people who deserve it

I can tell someone doesn't read youtube and news article comment lol.

That's the shit they use every time a Black person is killed. Always in a mocking tone. "I'm sure he dindu nuffin" The point is Black life has no value to people like that.

And historically we have the word because Black life was only worth as much labor they could steal from them.

All those centuries later mofos wanna lecture us on how we have adapted the vernacular? No thank you. I'll stop saying it when I can use my reparation money to get vocabulary lessons...

It's disgusting how people will find new ways to insult black people. And even more disgusting how we get shouted down about us using the word when those same people want to use it.

Also, Maher needs to get dragged through the street. Screw him.

Here, I made a flowchart:

x9J2mAP.gif

Right but what if...

preview of next week's thread

Slayven

Second chance to the guy who is proud that he helped Coulter and Conway start their careers, who wants to help relaunch Milo's...

Second chances are for people who deserve it
And he was mad because Obama wasn't black enough (what he considers black)aka a thug

royalan

I used to trek to ENY every week to buy weed. No one cares.

Yeah, because nothing educates you on the ethics of black culture quite like the weekly weed run to the hood.

The fuck? Like, is this trolling? I really want know. In the 946838743764th GAF thread about the use of n-word, somebody really thinks that merely traversing through a black neighborhood gives them enough insight on how black people collectively feel about a given subject.

Yeah, because nothing educates you on the ethics of black culture quite like the weekly weed run to the hood.

The fuck? Like, is this trolling? I really want know. In a 946838743764 GAF thread about the use of n-word, somebody really thinks that merely traversing through a black neighborhood gives them enough insight on how black people collectively feel about a given subject.

Everyone thinks they're an expert lol

KSweeley

The NAACP wants everyone, including blacks, to stop using the N-word, an article about what they did during their 98th annual convention in 2007: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/09/AR2007070900609_2.html

NAACP Symbolically Buries N-Word
Monday, July 9, 2007

DETROIT -- There was no mourning at this funeral. Hundreds of onlookers cheered Monday afternoon as the NAACP put to rest a long-standing expression of racism by holding a public burial for the N-word during its annual convention.

The coffin is to be placed at historically black Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery and will have a headstone.

"Today we're not just burying the N-word, we're taking it out of our spirit," said Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. "We gather burying all the things that go with the N-word. We have to bury the 'pimps' and the 'hos' that go with it."

He continued: "Die N-word, and we don't want to see you 'round here no more."

The N-word has been used as a slur against blacks for more than a century. It remains a symbol of racism, but also is used by blacks when referring to other blacks, especially in comedy routines and rap and hip-hop music.

"This was the greatest child that racism ever birthed," the Rev. Otis Moss III, assistant pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, said in his eulogy.

Black leaders have challenged the entertainment industry and the American public to stop using the N-word and other racial slurs.

The Rev. Wendell Anthony, pastor of Detroit's Fellowship Chapel and member of the NAACP national board of directors, said the efforts were not an attack on young people or hip-hop.

He said they were a commentary on the culture the genre has produced.

"We're not thugs. We're not gangstas," Anthony told the crowd. "All of us has been guilty of this word. It's upon all of us to now kill this word."

The organization's 98th annual national convention ends Thursday.

And he was mad because Obama wasn't black enough (what he considers black)aka a thug

He tried to say Wayne Brady wasn't black enough either. Not to mention the way he talks about Muslims

We been know who Maher is, he's an habitual line stepper. Anyone caping for him is a fool

Slayven

The fuck? Like, is this trolling? I really want know. In the 946838743764th GAF thread about the use of n-word, somebody really thinks that merely traversing through a black neighborhood gives them enough insight on how black people collectively feel about a given subject.
Hoodpasses from the weedman, evolution of "I have black friends"

I wasn't fully aware of mahers thing with muslims before milo was going his show, I thought he would take him to task. Then that show aired and proved he was a piece of shit. Then this shit happened, and Cube threw him a fucking lifeline like no other to have do a proper mea culpa, and he clocked the fuck out.

bill maher is either a piece of shit, or a really terrible comic.

There's a reason that Louis CK survives what he says. It's obvious he's not a piece of shit.

Trevor Phillips7 hours ago
Man, I really used to like Ice Cube.
Reply 260

I love the idea that after everything Ice Cube has said about race in the last 30 years, that THIS is what crossed the line for this dude (and 260 other people)

For a general rule I don't care if groups use it amongst themselves privately. But publicly blacks own the word, and people can't say it to them due to a cultural gap.

chessnut

This logic that 'if you're not black, you aren't allowed to say the n-word' pisses me off. I don't use the word and I don't care to either. Just for the record, I'm not white, I'm Indian. I grew up in the suburbs, but it was an area that was predominately blacks and Hispanics. I can't tell you how many times I've been called a nigga. I'd be playing basketball at the YMCA and I get an easy lay-up and someone on the other team says "'aye who has that nigga" ....or I'd be in gym class in grade school and I forget to bring a t-shirt, so I end up having to wear basketball shorts with a polo and I walk past a group of guys and someone laughs at me and says to his friends "look at what this nigga is wearing". I can list dozens of examples, some that are much more direct. I make nothing of it, it doesn't offend me in the slightest.

My qualm is this: don't call me a nigga, but then turn around and say I don't have the privilege to use that word in return. And I get it, Ice Cube is older and he understands the historical significance of the word a bit more than a bunch of teenagers do. But at the same time, I don't understand why the same people who are outraged when a white guy says it, aren't outraged when a black person says it to someone outside of their race. It's such a huge double standard.

As George Carlin said, words are neutral, it's all about the context. People need to grow up.

For a general rule I don't care if groups use it amongst themselves privately. But publicly blacks own the word, and people can't say it to them due to a cultural gap.

No non black groups are using that word amongst themselves in a non-racist manner. Let's be real about that lol.

SomTervo

Well you've really missed the point.

I don't know if you're black or white but whenever I see that viewpoint I read it as "well if white people can't say it, nobody can"

I see it more as it being a broadly offensive and historically charged word. Even POC using it feels problematic to me.

But I'm white. So you could be totally right. It's not my place to say.

Liamario

Banned
It's been said in this thread multiple times. If you want people to stop using the word, you can't use it yourself. You're going to have to make a choice.

ColdPizza

Banned
It's been said in this thread multiple times. If you want people to stop using the word, you can't use it yourself. You're going to have to make a choice.

That's not for anyone but the black community to decide. You and me aren't part of that conversation. I agree with that video Mammoth posted. It's perfect.

This logic that 'if you're not black, you aren't allowed to say the n-word' pisses me off. I don't use the word and I don't care to either. Just for the record, I'm not white, I'm Indian. I grew up in the suburbs, but it was an area that was predominately blacks and Hispanics. I can't tell you how many times I've been called a nigga. I'd be playing basketball at the YMCA and I get an easy lay-up and someone on the other team says "'aye who has that nigga" ....or I'd be in gym class in grade school and I forget to bring a t-shirt, so I end up having to wear basketball shorts with a polo and I walk past a group of guys and someone laughs at me and says to his friends "look at what this nigga is wearing". I can list dozens of examples, some that are much more direct. I make nothing of it, it doesn't offend me in the slightest.

My qualm is this: don't call me a nigga, but then turn around and say I don't have the privilege to use that word in return. And I get it, Ice Cube is older and he understands the historical significance of the word a bit more than a bunch of teenagers do. But at the same time, I don't understand why the same people who are outraged when a white guy says it, aren't outraged when a black person says it to someone outside of their race. It's such a huge double standard.

As George Carlin said, words are neutral, it's all about the context. People need to grow up.

Should probably watch that video over and over until you understand it.

Eh... no ?
I mean, black people didn't invented this word lol. I'll tell you what, if they stopped using this word, some racists people would still use it. I think it's not a good thing to use a racial slur about yourself, but it doesn't mean it's okay for others to use it or to tell others "don't use it" "it's not good for you".

It's even worse and naive to claim "if people stop using it, the word will disappear". It's the equivalent of the baby thinking people disappears when they hide their face.

royalan

Great.

However, you call me a nigga, I'm going to put you in your damn place. Because I didn't call you a nigga.

Make sense?

chessnut

No non black groups are using that word amongst themselves in a non-racist manner. Let's be real about that lol.

...that's not true. There are tons of people of non-black ethnicities who basically interchange the world dude/bro/dawg/etc.. with nigga. How are they being racist?

Jesus Christ people get over yourselves. You sound like 5 year olds kicking and screaming on the ground, "but it's my word no one else can use it". Is there any other nationality in the world that has the same view on a word that only they can say?

What's funny about this is where the fuck in the world do you think black folks can go and NOT be called their "ER"? You think that by black people dramatically not using it is going to stop the slander and racism we feel WORLDWIDE? Yeah sure...that exactly why other nationalities in the world don't have their own....because WE still fucking exist. And even if the other nationalities have their own, we clearly aren't on their soils to have this debate on whether or not they should or shouldn't be using and we cannot control that.

Repetition does nothing to help when you're wrong.

Do people say still racial slurs against Jewish people, Asian people, or Hispanic people, even though those slurs haven't been reclaimed? Yes they do, and anyone who says otherwise is being obtuse.

You guys just aren't putting any thought into this shit.

I like how black people are supposed to be able to control every other black person. Like, WTF?

If I've never said it in my life, but some kid on your block does, that makes it ok for rich white unfunny white dude?

Nah

Never mind the fact that, new slurs are being created for black people, so how does that effect the theory that black use is what drives the continued use of nigger?

This is that kinda arrogant bullshit that makes me not want to engage in conversations with people like you. Because you don't even listen.

Liamario

Banned
This is that kinda arrogant bullshit that makes me not want to engage in conversations with people like you. Because you don't even listen.
Arrogant. Because I don't agree with you? Can you provide rebuttal to my statement, rather than making assumptions about me?

Arrogant. Because I don't agree with you? Can you provide rebuttal to my statement, rather than making assumptions about me?

Well, people did.
It's naive to think if you stop using a word, it'll disappear. At best, it'll be replaced by another. What's so difficult to comprehend that it's not the same thing to call yourself a word and having someone else call you that word ?

Deepwater

there's really no point in litigating this "who can say it and when and where" because if you are genuine and decent and non black you just wont use it at all.

if aint nobody punch you in the mouth for saying it yet, gone head. just better hope the wrong negro don't hear you say it.

Because you assumed you're right without even applying the most basic logic to your argument to see if it could be accurate.

Other groups are still subjected to racial slurs that they haven't reclaimed the way black people reclaimed the n-word, therefore black people no longer saying it wouldn't do anything to stop white people from using it. Pretty simple!

I mean...white people haven't even stopped making new racist shit to call us:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dindu-nuffin

So ya'll can get the fuck out of here with the "It'll go away" shit.

I mean...white people haven't even stopped making new racist shit to call us:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dindu-nuffin

So ya'll can get the fuck out of here with the "It'll go away" shit.

You seemed to skip that post with your logical leaps, so I posted it a few times but I'm sure you and people like you will still ignore it

Top Bottom