• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky Clerk denies same-sex couple marriage license for the third time

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOREHEAD, Ky. James Yates and William Smith Jr. left the Rowan County Courthouse on Thursday, frustrated that clerks have now refused them a marriage license for third time.

The couple said they felt that Rowan Clerk Kim Davis was obligated to provide the paperwork after appellate judges refused to stay a federal injunction against Davis on Wednesday. But a deputy clerk said he was under orders to turn them away.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...le-turned-away-3rd-time-rowan-clerk/32440151/

KHlover

Banned
Get married elsewhere and then sue them for discrimination, misconduct of office and the psychological damage resulting from being denied marriage multiple times despite the existing Supreme Court ruling. Surely a good lawyer would find even more stuff to sue for. This is not ok.

Someone has to actually go and arrest her. This is in Kentucky. Shouldn't be hard to put 2 and 2 together.
Well the judge would make the order to arrest her. Why hasn't a federal judge made that order? There are I'm sure plenty of times in history where ignoring federal court orders including the SCOTUS has resulted in force being used or jail time for compliance.

theultimo

I believe the last order was Aug 31 or until the appeal is resolved. The appeal was denied, but I think she is waiting until the Aug 31 deadline or is trying to make a statement. On Saturday she asked her church to give her support during her trying times.

BowieZ

Banned
I really do feel for him being discriminated against like that, nobody respecting his beliefs. These poor Christian clerks. They have gone months and months now facing an uphill battle as a minority, the pain and torment of being rejected by society.

Why do the gays have to be so cruel and demanding with their rights? Won't someone please think of the poor clerks!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm sorta curious as to why the deputies don't simply sign the paperwork in defiance of their boss' order? They pretty obviously won't be fired for complying with the law any more than their boss, the clerk would be fired for appealing the law. If only the clerk can legally sign the documents, just have the deputy sign it in their own name "acting as the Office of the Clerk" or whatever legal contrivance is required to give them force of law. Presumably this is a thing that occurs anyway, since clearly the Clerk takes vacation days and paperwork still gets signed on those days, because someone else can act as Clerk in her stead, no?

andymcc

Banned
Under orders?

the deputy clerk was presumably under orders from davis.

she won't even let a deputized clerk, who would theoretically have the capacity to order marriage licenses even if she didn't want to herself, issue the damn things. talk about contempt of law.

I really do feel for him being discriminated against like that, nobody respecting his beliefs. These poor Christian clerks. They have gone months and months now facing an uphill battle as a minority, the pain and torment of being rejected by society.

Why do the gays have to be so cruel and demanding with their rights? Won't someone please think of the poor clerks!
Don't forget the bakers..

I'm sorta curious as to why the deputies don't simply sign the paperwork in defiance of their boss' order? They pretty obviously won't be fired for complying with the law any more than their boss, the clerk would be fired for appealing the law. If only the clerk can legally sign the documents, just have the deputy sign it in their own name "acting as the Office of the Clerk" or whatever legal contrivance is required to give them force of law. Presumably this is a thing that occurs anyway, since clearly the Clerk takes vacation days and paperwork still gets signed on those days, because someone else can act as Clerk in her stead, no?

I thought the last time they directed people to their lawyers, who were some religious group. They may be holding steadfast with their dear leader or have been directed to close ranks and not know any better.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I thought the last time they directed people to their lawyers, who were some religious group. They may be holding steadfast with their dear leader or have been directed to close ranks and not know any better.

I think the religious group wants to make this a supreme court case. I don't think it will get that far.

BigDes

The deputies might be as batshit crazy as the clerk.

Herbs

Banned
What a cunt. Good on the couple for persisting. Hopefully they sue the ever-loving shit out of the county.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom