• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesbian couple win $10,000 damages from county clerk who called them an ‘abomination’

Last year, Amanda Abramovich and Samantha Brookover headed to their county clerk's office in West Virginia to receive a marriage license. What should have been one of the happiest days of their lives quickly took a sour turn.

A deputy clerk in Gilmer County allegedly chastised the women as she processed their marriage license, calling them an "abomination" and telling them God would "deal" with them, according to a complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia.

A year and a half later, the Gilmer County clerk's office is paying Abramovich and Brookover, who have been together for seven years, $10,000 in damages and issuing them an apology, the Associated Press reported on Wednesday.

Deputy Clerk Debbie Allen slammed the paperwork on the desk, said she was a Christian and called the couple an "abomination" in a rant that continued for several minutes, according to court documents. Another clerk joined in, shouting that it was Allen's "religious right" to harass the couple, according to the complaint.

The Supreme Court had ruled seven months earlier that the Constitution gives same-sex couples the right to wed, no matter where in America they live.

They received their marriage license, but it was not the joyous day the women or their family members, who came with a camera, had hoped for.

When Brookover's mother later called the county clerk's office to report the encounter, she said County Clerk Jean Butcher told her she knew about the interaction and believed the couple deserved the treatment they received. The next same-sex couple that sought a marriage license, she allegedly said, "would get the same or worse" treatment.

She did acknowledge that she told the couple what they were doing was wrong and God would judge them, according to the Gazette-Mail.

"I just told them my opinion," she said. "I just felt led to do that. I believe God was standing with me and that's just my religious belief."

But in a news release on Aug. 30, Gilmer County seemed to do an about-face. The county acknowledged that Brookover and Abramovich "were disrespected and disparaged by staff" because they were a same-sex couple.

"That was wrong," the news release stated. "It is the policy of Gilmer County and the Gilmer County Clerk's Office that all people seeking services and doing business with the County will be treated courteously and with respect regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity."

The lawsuit, which was filed by Americans United for Separation of Church and State, Fairness West Virginia and the law firm Mayer Brown, sought damages for the emotional distress caused by Allen's actions.

In addition to paying the couple $10,000, the county also agreed to require all officials and employees of the county commission and county clerk's office to participate in a training program provided by Fairness West Virginia, an advocacy organization dedicated to the fair and equal treatment of LGBT West Virginians.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...debbie-allen-10000-county-clerk-a7923481.html

A Hand Maid's Tale scared the crap out of me when you understand that there are people like this who work for the government. Too real for me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What sucks is not like the clerk is paying. Instead the whole county is on the hook for 10k for some dumb clerk trying to hateful.

kmfdmpig

The people in that office are trash who should be fired. They are despicable people who hide behind a veil of religious nonsense to support their bigotry and hatred.

I had a whole thing on how when you're a government employee you are representing the government and blah blah blah

but fuck this crotchety old lady and good on this couple. I'm glad they won, I'm glad the lady's supervisor apparently called bullshit on her, and I can only hope something actually gets done about her.

louiedog

What is with county clerks and not staying in their lane

My clerk's office used to offer free notary services to residents (limited to one per day so it was more for individuals who just needed it once in awhile and wouldn't abuse it). The one time I went there the person who helped me was insanely rude to me, asked me a bunch of personal questions that had nothing to do with her duty, and spent about 10 minutes providing me this service seemingly to make me never want to come back. She reminded me of other people I've met in life who work really hard, and often have a family or friend connection that helps, to get a cushy job with good benefits that's really hard to get fired from and then coast for the next few decades. I think positions like these really attract shitty people.

Evangelicals try to play their "religious privilege" card and have to sit through a diversity training video instead.

Praise be.

It just sucks that other taxpayers have to foot the bill for some dumbass' comments. Make some of these bigots financially responsible and we'll see how well they hold their tongues.

11redder

"I just told them my opinion," she said. "I just felt led to do that. I believe God was standing with me and that's just my religious belief."

Matthew 7:1 Judge not lest ye be judged.

adj_noun

But in a news release on Aug. 30, Gilmer County seemed to do an about-face. The county acknowledged that Brookover and Abramovich "were disrespected and disparaged by staff" because they were a same-sex couple

Wonder what the lawyer told the county.

besada

Banned
What sucks is not like the clerk is paying. Instead the whole county is on the hook for 10k for some dumb clerk trying to hateful.

County Clerk is an elected position in that county. The county as a whole put her there. It does suck that those that didn't vote for her will pay a fractional share of that $10K. The population's a little over 30,000 people, though, so I don't imagine it's going to be too terrible a hardship for anyone. Probably a worth it to compensate these folks.

Matthew 7:1 Judge not lest ye be judged.

Aurumaquam 19:64

"Soweth division amongst the peoples and thou may'st the Emperor's levy lighten to embolden the bold and enrichen the rich. Yea, this is pleaseth thy Party and thy donors."

Top Bottom