• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis denies same-sex marriage license again, despite end of stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlast

Start a crowdfund to buy the domain. Sign up to some of those Christian Fundamentalist Facebook pages and plug it and I bet you'd be able to raise the money. I'd do it, but if it became successful I'd feel too dirty to be happy with myself.

Be sure you charge a registration fee and take 20%, because God get 10%. Then create a policy that allows you to keep the money if a Judge finds a plaintiff guilty of any charges.

PopeReal

She was just led away in handcuffs and is in federal custody.

What a fucking idiot. I am sure other idiots will pay all her bills. But at least the idiots have to do their jobs.

Grym

i'm confused. Why not just fire her?

she's elected. can't be fired. She can quit or there could potentially be a recall election (no idea on KY law on that one though). Other than that nothing can be done. Other than what just happened - held in contempt of court

Crowd funding would pay any fines, rendering them moot as punishment, so jail is the only option.

Let her rot, a nation of laws cannot be reduced to a theocracy by having laws rendered null by anyone claiming religious exemptions to those laws.

She probably couldn't legally take the money if she were still county clerk, but if she decided to quit then she could take all the free conservative bigot money she wants. I'm guessing a gofundme could raise enough money to pay her salary for a few years, and the inevitable Fox News commentator position could help pay the bills too.

If she quits, I don't really care how much she makes via gofundme bigots. Let them revel in their own filth.

It's the prospect of her maintaining her position, continuing to fuck over SS Couples while getting enough bigot donations to counter act any fines the court might give her that bother me.

EDIT: Jail time will work.

Be sure you charge a registration fee and take 20%, because God get 10%. Then create a policy that allows you to keep the money if a Judge finds a plaintiff guilty of any charges.

That's not a bad idea, I wouldn't be shocked at all if something like that caught on with the massive persecution complex fundamentalist Christians have. Critical thinking is also not an abundant skill among that crowd, so I doubt they'd take issue with the fee or the no refund policy.

jmdajr

I'm an idiot not realizing she was THE District Clerk. I just didn't imagine an elected official being so dense. Then again why am I surprised at all.

Good riddance.

RPGCrazied

Good, she shouldn't have been breaking the law and complying. Now you have to jail time. Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time.

Teggy

Someone posted that she had already been bailed out - I couldn't tell if it was serious or not. If she can get bail, then she can just go back to work and reject people, correct?

You cannot fire an elected official. You can impeach but it is uncertain if there is even an impeachment proceeding in KY for this.

I'm not familiar with KY law but wouldn't one of her assistants take over while she is unable to execute her duties? Or does he policy remain even while she is unable to report to her job?

I'm an idiot not realizing she was THE District Clerk. I just didn't imagine an elected official being so dense. Then again why am I surprised at all.

Good riddance.

Honestly I think it's the only reason she got away with it.
If she wasn't high up enough she'd be canned already.

If she's going to jail right now then that would almost certainly mean this is (as would be expected given the specifics of the situation) a civil contempt finding. In which case she'll likely be held in custody until she either agrees to issues the licenses or she no longer is required to issue the licenses by law (The most obvious case of which would be losing her position).

Someone posted that she had already been bailed out - I couldn't tell if it was serious or not. If she can get bail, then she can just go back to work and reject people, correct?

If things are what they seem like then that person is making shit up. You don't have bail in this sort of case.

Grym

That couple should go back there now that she's in jail. Let's see if the next clerk in line has the balls to say no.

yep. get the whole office in jail if they don't comply. One of them has to have a little bit of logic in their head.....right? :/ (I mean even one of the GOP hopefuls - Fiorina - has enough logic to say the clerk should follow the law, issues licenses or resign)

Ecotic

So the Kentucky state legislature is going to have impeach her to get her out of jail? Assuming she won't comply.

Pilgrimzero

Can the other Clerks quit? If so they need to. If they start to hand out the licenses then they will be terrorized by the crazies, even at their homes.

Grym

When is the next election for her position?

Here's my hope.
-- she rots in jail
-- one of her subordinates gives in and issues licenses while she is in absentia
-- she stays in contempt for lets say 2 years until the next election
-- she get re-elected by idiots
-- she continues to rot in jail
-- etc.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom