• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis denies same-sex marriage license again, despite end of stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Measley

werewolves-300x300.jpg

That movie made me want to punch a Christian in the face.

God, I hope she gets some serious jail time. What a stupid bigot.
I really don't want her to get Jail time. She should lose her job but jail time won't help here IMO. After she's fired let's do the Christian thing, forgive her and move on. I hope the irony won't be lost on her in that case :/

I really don't want her to get Jail time. She should lose her job but jail time won't help here IMO. After she's fired let's do the Christian thing, forgive her and move on. I hope the irony won't be lost on her in that case :/
The only way to get rid of her is for her to resign or get thrown in jail.

She's elected, a recall may or may not be on the Kentucky law books, and if so it is questionable there would be enough support in the state to actually throw her out of office.

Jail is the best option. She's already a martyr and extremists will categorize any action against her as oppression anyway.

Future

I can only imagine other key moments of civil rights history: slavery abolished, women able to vote, segregation ending, interracial marriage... Etc. and the time afterward where all the people on the wrong side of history trying to cling on to their racist or sexist bullshit. I imagine all through history these people probably look and sound the same as those idiots on those pictures.

And damn all religions for making it so easy and righteous to simply say the word "God" as a one word justification for sexism, racism, and all hate. As if saying that alone is supposed to make someone think: "oh crap your right. I FORGOT what your particular God had to say about this. I consulted 8 others from other religions and got the ok by not yours! My bad carry on with your hate!"

Ecotic

Davis has said she'll go to jail if need be. So I imagine she'll be fined briefly, called back to court after it's obvious she won't comply, and then be sentenced to jail. Unless the state legislature wants to impeach her to save her jail time.

e_i

The ACLU of Kentucky is reporting no cameras are allowed in the courtroom. There will be a press briefing afterwards.

The only way to get rid of her is for her to resign or get thrown in jail.

She's elected, a recall may or may not be on the Kentucky law books, and if so it is questionable there would be enough support in the state to actually throw her out of office.

Jail is the best option. She's already a martyr and extremists will categorize any action against her as oppression anyway.

I did not know that. If jail time takes her out of the office then yes, I think that would be appropriate.

Could she run again later?

PBY

Banned
The GOP response has been to either support her or point out she's a democrat, so therefore Democrats must be against gay rights (too)?

It must be so confusing to be a social conservativ
e.

It shouldn't be. I just think its weird the way our system has gone where we've smashed these - really different when you think about them - views on economics and foreign policy together with social/religious views as the foundation for our 2 party system.

Recent interview from Fox News with her.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/09/03/kentucky-clerk-am-prepared-to-go-to-jail.html?intcmp=hpbt4

The mainstream media and the activists have been ruthless. They’ve portrayed her as a monster – a right-wing, homophobic hypocrite. She’s been smeared by tabloid-style reports on her checkered past. They’ve written extensively about her failed marriages.

It’s true, she’s been married four times. But what’s missing in the mainstream media coverage is the context. Her life was radically changed by Jesus Christ in 2011, and since then she has become a different person.

“My God in heaven knows every crack, every crevice, every deep place in my heart,” she said. “And he knows the thoughts that are in my mind before I even think them. And he has given me such a beautiful and wonderful grace through all of this.”

She once lived for the devil, but now she lives for God. She’s a sinner saved by grace.

“I had created such a pit of sin for myself with my very own hands,” she told me.

So how does she handle the reporters and talking heads who call her a hypocrite?

“All I can say to them is if they have a sordid past like what I had, they too can receive the cleansing and renewing, and they can start a fresh life and they can be different,” she said. “They don’t have to remain in their sin, there’s hope for tomorrow.”

She also says she's willing to go to jail over this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh come on now. The stakes of this hearing are a lot higher than that.

Kim Davis isn't the only clerk doing this, there are actually a lot of them, it's just she's the most visible because she was caught on camera and also looks the part.

The precedent set by this is going to be significant.

... okay, but is the precedent set differently if you get a live-blog of the proceedings versus finding out immediately afterwards?

jmdajr

Hey so like dumb question. When they get denied do they more over to another Clerk, get the license.... and leave?

I mean it's still bullshit, but I'd get the license and maybe gloat a little upon leaving.

Just a little.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey so like dumb question. When they get denied do they more over to another Clerk, get the license.... and leave?

Right now, they are being told to drive to another county. They can't get someone else in the Clerk's office to give them a license [there seems to be some dispute about whether or not employees could defy her and are too scared to, or couldn't defy her even if they wanted to--regardless, they aren't getting licenses while she's in charge]. They could drive to another county, so this is absolutely about the principle of the thing, not the availability of the license.

Paskil

I mean it's still bullshit, but I'd get the license and maybe gloat a little upon leaving.

Just a little.

The clerk sets the policy for the office. There is one clerk per county. She is not allowing the assistant clerks to issue licenses. It is why they were all summoned to federal court, not just the clerk.

Ecotic

Just a little.

No, Davis controls the office and I believe has to sign the certificate herself.

jmdajr

No, Davis controls the office and I believe has to sign the certificate herself.

The clerk sets the policy for the office. There is one clerk per county. She is not allowing the assistant clerks to issue licenses. It is why they were all summoned to federal court, not just the clerk.

Right now, they are being told to drive to another county. They can't get someone else in the Clerk's office to give them a license [there seems to be some dispute about whether or not employees could defy her and are too scared to, or couldn't defy her even if they wanted to--regardless, they aren't getting licenses while she's in charge]. They could drive to another county, so this is absolutely about the principle of the thing, not the availability of the license.

well fuck

Allard

The amount of people chipping in on the inevitable GoFundMe defense fund would be incredible. She very likely will get paid out of this.

I actually wonder how that would work given she is an elected official. Like if she used the money from gofundme would that not be blatant and easily convict-able corruption that would just land her in jail again?

Arkeband

Banned
... okay, but is the precedent set differently if you get a live-blog of the proceedings versus finding out immediately afterwards?

a) I'm impatient
b) There were some periscopes of the crowds outside that are now off that I would have been interested in seeing.

PBY

Banned
That Foxnews article is shameful
"Davis did not seek the national spotlight. She had no intention of becoming a spokeswoman for religious liberty, and she bristles at the idea that she is a hero of the faith."

Well - she kind of fucking did.

Damaniel

Banned
I actually wonder how that would work given she is an elected official. Like if she used the money from gofundme would that not be blatant and easily convict-able corruption that would just land her in jail again?

She probably couldn't legally take the money if she were still county clerk, but if she decided to quit then she could take all the free conservative bigot money she wants. I'm guessing a gofundme could raise enough money to pay her salary for a few years, and the inevitable Fox News commentator position could help pay the bills too.

It's easy to say you're willing to go to jail over something. The reality of actually being in jail usually shows people why they really shouldn't of been willing to go to jail.

PBY

Banned
It's easy to say you're willing to go to jail over something. The reality of actually being in jail usually shows people why they really shouldn't of been willing to go to jail.

She shouldn't go to jail over this. She should just be fired, and its really dumb that it can't happen.

$1,759.00 :( This was my time to shine.

Start a crowdfund to buy the domain. Sign up to some of those Christian Fundamentalist Facebook pages and plug it and I bet you'd be able to raise the money. I'd do it, but if it became successful I'd feel too dirty to be happy with myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom