• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis denies same-sex marriage license again, despite end of stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If she so compelled by her beliefs then FUCKING QUIT!

I guess she puts her paycheck before god though, right?

I have no animosity to those (Tennessee?) Clerks that quit after the Supreme Court ruling. They have their beliefs, they're no longer going to do the job, they leave to make room for people that will do the job. Hell, I can even respect their choice there. They aren't letting their beliefs get in the way of performing a public service job.

legacyzero

Banned
I understand your religious reasoning. I get that. Thats why you should just resign. Its not the job for you if you cant do the duties expected.

Now it just seems youre hangin around for the sake of controversy.

Welp, this got me ignorant.

Why is this bitch still working here? Like this is ridiculous now... This is blatant discrimination, it is ILLEGAL and yet this dumb........still has her damn job? Get her the fuck out. She needs to be in jail and paying for the distress she had put thesr couple through that is now another national news story. Why the fuck is acceptance so hard for these people? It's simple, it's your job, it's not holy, and if you don't like it get out and leave. Fuck, she makes it seem like she's some nun at a church.. Fire her! Her contribution to society is a fucking waste.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I understand your religious reasoning. I get that. Thats why you should just resign. Its not the job for you if you cant do the duties expected.

Now it just seems youre hangin around for the sake of controversy.

There are 80,000 good reasons not to resign.

LycanXIII

So apparently some Republican members of the State Senate are trying to hold off her hearing until legislation is in session so they can pass a law so she would be exempt from having to issue licenses.

The Republican president of the Kentucky state Senate has asked a federal judge to withhold his ruling ordering a county clerk to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Republican Senate President Robert Stivers says U.S. District Judge David Bunning needs to give the state legislature time to pass a law that would exempt Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis from having to issue marriage licenses. The state legislature is not in session and won't be until January. Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear has refused to call for a special session, arguing it would waste taxpayer money for an issue that only affects one clerk.

"The Supreme Court ruling has completely obliterated the definition of marriage and the process for obtaining a marriage license in Kentucky," Stivers said in a news release. "The General Assembly will be compelled to amend many sections of Kentucky law, not just for the issuance of marriage licenses, to comply with the recent Supreme Court decision."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/kentucky-clerk-gop-state-senate-president-33492884

I'm glad I live in Lexington...

Aselith

One of the other clerks who is refusing to issue the marriages alongside this awful, crazy woman was on Lawrence O'Donnel. Not that it has anything to do with his argument, but boy did that guy fit the Kentucky country stereotype. Yikes.

Anyway, he had no argument. He referred to the Kentucky constitution talking some bullshit about transgressions, then invoked the first amendment. He also tried to make an analogy to a doctor choosing not to perform an abortion. Lawrence quickly pointed out doctors aren't government employees and regardless it was a bullshit comparison, so the guy spoke over him and changed gears to reminding us how Jesus died for our sins. Unreal conversation.

methane47

Can someone explain me something. On TV you see almost anyone performing marriages in the US of A. Like random ppl sign up for something online and they are them authorized to marry PPP. Is that not the case in all states?

How can this one person stop marriages from taking place? Can't they go out to anyone to get a licence? Please explain.

Aselith

Can someone explain me something. On TV you see almost anyone performing marriages in the US of A. Like random ppl sign up for something online and they are them authorized to marry PPP. Is that not the case in all states?

How can this one person stop marriages from taking place? Can't they go out to anyone to get a licence? Please explain.

A marriage license is a state issued document officially recoognizing the marriage.

A marriage ceremony can be performed by anyone licensed to do it but the person performing it can't issue an actual license they just do the ceremony.

DOWN

Banned
koMvAV6.png

So the sate has to remove her? Are they in the process of doing that? Isn't she breaking her vow? Would she just be removed or are there charges that could be brought against her?

greepoman

I'm perfectly sure this woman would be fine with it if it were a Muslim/other religion clerk refusing to marry Christians because of 'religious beliefs' right?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm perfectly sure this woman would be fine with it if it were a Muslim/other religion clerk refusing to marry Christians because of 'religious beliefs' right?

We need to get some hardliner from Saudi Arabia hired at her local DMV to deny her a Drivers License.

Christine

I don't even think it'd be bad optics for same sex marriage for her to go to jail over this. It'd inflame the people who are already convinced but I say never underestimate the willingness of U.S. citizenry to believe that a person who goes to jail deserves punishment. I do not like this fact and I would be extremely unhappy with its use as a deliberate tactic, but if that is the only avenue available to ensure equal access to marriage I am willing to imprison this woman until she decides that she desires her personal bodily freedom more than her position of state office.

I don't even think it'd be bad optics for same sex marriage for her to go to jail over this. It'd inflame the people who are already convinced but I say never underestimate the willingness of U.S. citizenry to believe that a person who goes to jail deserves punishment. I do not like this fact and I would be extremely unhappy with its use as a deliberate tactic, but if that is the only avenue available to ensure equal access to marriage I am willing to imprison this woman until she decides that she desires her personal bodily freedom more than her position of state office.

Given her religious convictions, I don't think she will ever have a change of heart. Like others have mentioned, in her mind she is being persecuted, and a persecuted Christian will stick to their divine intervention at all costs. Wouldn't surprise me if she feels like God put her on Earth to fight for the sanctity of marriage by standing her ground. So, even if you put her in jail and tell her she can get out when she follows the law and signs those papers, she will probably choose to sit in that jail cell as a heroic ( in her mind ) martyr.

Christine

Given her religious convictions, I don't think she will ever have a change of heart. Like others have mentioned, in her mind she is being persecuted, and a persecuted Christian will stick to their divine intervention at all costs. Wouldn't surprise me if she feels like God put her on Earth to fight for the sanctity of marriage by standing her ground. So, even if you put her in jail and tell her she can get out when she follows the law and signs those papers, she will probably choose to sit in that jail cell as a heroic ( in her mind ) martyr.

That's okay. An elected county clerk may be able to defy the law, but she can't do her job from jail so she'll be replaced. Then we can release her, we have no obligation to keep her in jail because she wants to stay there just to prove a point.

What would the license even be without a clerk signature? Someone in some office is going to have to sign it.

The clerk's signature merely authenticates that the state has given two individuals prior authorization to marry. You can solemnize a marriage any time you want. Whether it is recognized by the state is another matter entirely. The state can make its own laws about how it recognizes a solemnized marriage so long as those laws don't violate the constitution and there's nothing in the constitution about a marriage license requiring a county clerk signature.

Apt101

She's violating people's civil rights. I don't see why the legal entity fighting her is suggesting just a fine. Even if she has to go to jail for only a weekend and lose her job, some kind of an example has to be made. We cannot tolerate institutional hate as a society.

As if Omnipotent God is going to get tricked into technicalities of what is or isn't a sin based on if the name is on there or not. Haha

She's violating people's civil rights. I don't see why the legal entity fighting her is suggesting just a fine. Even if she has to go to jail for only a weekend and lose her job, some kind of an example has to be made. We cannot tolerate institutional hate as a society.

There's an element of pragmatism. Christians are eager for someone to be thrown in jail for this because they want to portray that person as the new Daniel, persecuted for their crimes, thrown into the lions' den and coming out the other side because of their faith in god.

cameron

Hearing at 11:00 am EST today. If Davis and her clerks aren't held in contempt, then lol.

The county official in rural Kentucky who has become the focal point for resistance to the U.S. Supreme Court's gay marriage decision will appear this morning before a federal judge to explain why she should not be held in contempt of court.

The judge ordered Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis and all of her deputies to appear before him at 11 a.m.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/does-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-have-legal-leg-stand-n420606

Arkeband

Banned
We just simple country folk, but we complex, too!

...was the gist of NPR's coverage I heard in the car this morning.

I wonder why they have this stereotype...

There's an element of pragmatism. Christians are eager for someone to be thrown in jail for this because they want to portray that person as the new Daniel, persecuted for their crimes, thrown into the lions' den and coming out the other side because of their faith in god.
Extremist Christians will find a way to spin this regardless. In jail or not.

So throw her in jail so at least Rowan County can comply with federal law and allow these people to get married.

A martyr for what? The anti gay marriage coalition fought and lost their battle. The SC won't revisit this case (if ever) for years. Any laws passed to change that will be instantly struck down. Let her be a martyr for a cause that is over and done with.

All Republican candidates have said they will have the court revisit this case within the first year. Trump says he will have it done in the first month. Cruz, first day.

Obviously, it's all rhetoric to get voters, but they know their audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom