• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis denies same-sex marriage license again, despite end of stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
So I'm guessing for the divorce thing, is before she "turned to Christ" thus doesn't matter to her current outlook.
That's the standard line of argument I'm seeing on various conservative news sites. You do anything you want, run back to the "born again!" base and yell "Ollie Ollie Oxen Free!", and the slate is reset.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
There was a three year hiring freeze for the Austin Fire Department because minorities weren't able to score high enough on the exam. You need more factors than just a test for public positions.

That's a funny way of saying that the EEOC and DOJ alleged discrimination in hiring and that the exams were culturally biased.

Okay. Follow-up question: why, unlike every other developed country, are partisan elected officials responsible for running elections in America?
It didn't start out this way. All these positions are elected ones because, at the time of state/county founding, they were considered important enough that people would want to place others in high esteem to them, similar to how you're in theory supposed to elect the most qualified and trustworthy person for legislative office. Makes sense. People would trust That Guy They Go To Church With or Their Wise Doctor to count their votes or money, right? That's the idea.

Municipal elections didn't start out as partisan. In my state, still, these elections don't allow candidates to file a party affiliation. Are they effectively partisan anyway? A lot of the time, yes. But we invented that aspect of it. The original consideration of the law was entirely innocent. Just like any other incredibly outdated philosophy in this country (ie Electoral College) there is about a 0% chance of it ever being corrected.

Hex

Banned
1. Place a daily fine for Every couple she denied rights to. Hetero and homo.
2. Jail her.
3. A judge should rule that donations and gifts are forbidden as an acceptable way to pay the fines. She has to pay her own money and not taxpayers.
4. Rule she also has to pay court costs out of pocket.

or
Admit she is wrong and personally issue licenses to every couple denied, while making a formal apology to each and every person individually in person, and issue an apology to the county and the state for not doing her job as well as making a legally binding vow that she will do her job forever without issue.

Basically its jail and fines or a bit of shaming, but still having freedom and money...

Is this some kind of fantasy land where you think that #3 could actually happen or be enforced?

Why are these positions elected in the first place?

Why not appointed?

if someone moderate or left person had been defying the laws created by the right, you would have answered this question by yourself. that she was elected to it and not appointed to it.

I find this whole thing reeking with impatience. She is in the wrong. defying the law of the land and there is very little patience and a lot of curses shown at her. She is thriving in the attention and it is only elevating her position in the right, not diminishing their own position to say, he she is wrong. The approach is right. go to her repeatedly and create the attention to have her removed for not following the law of the land but the reaction is unbecoming of some people, wishing her death? really? saying she is ugly.. really? bringing her family upbringing into this, reeally? she is not killing anyone by not obeying the law of providing marriage certificates she is not complying with the law. Since when does any rational person start frothing at their mouth on something which can be dealt with patience and resolution

Sanjuro

Without threat of firing or jail time, she'll just refuse to pay, as she's refused to issue licensees. I'm sure someone would start a fundraising campaign online for like minded bigots to pay her fines, and she'd come out a hero.

She needs to be removed from her job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not firm on either belief here. I'm also sure the latter would come to fruition to some extent.

She is coming out a hero regardless to the select demographic.

It's not really an experiment. It's what courts do when government officials repeatedly fail to comply with court rulings.

Watch Show Me A Hero on HBO for an example of this.

That is fresh in mind. Not using it as the example here though.

Christopher

Man is she in for a rude awakening when she finds out GOD isn't real...yet these two people don't "believe" their in love.

Sanjuro

She got nobody on her side.

XvRSxok.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
Oh wow.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in her lawyers' office when they get word of this. This is rich.

Scalia actually did not say anything about this case. They are just quoting Scalia from 2002 about the death penalty and applying it to this case.

Edit: Jeez...all these replies. Does nobody read actual articles anymore? :(
Now Scalia has not, to my knowledge, said anything directly about Davis’s actions, but he has addressed the question of what public officials should do when their official obligations conflict with their religious conscience. Writing in “First Things” in 2002, Scalia explained that if he were to conclude that the death penalty is fundamentally immoral, he should no longer serve on the bench.

I've suspected that she's probably born-again. Those ones always seem to have some extra crazy to them.

Better than born again, she has been born again 4 times!!

Seriously though. I bet she only married 4 times because she was the clerk who issued the licenses. I have worked retail and I can't tell you how much shit I bought simply because I could. Nothing wrong with taken advantage of the benefits of your job!

;P

Even from a Christian perspective, this clerk is full of shit. No Bible attributes any comments regarding marriage to Jesus. Furthermore, homosexuality was, and remains in the more theocratic nations today, a capital offense. Perhaps the clerk should start issuing death certificates to homosexuals if she really wants to fulfill holy scripture.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Actually the Lord and I do tea on Wednesdays (how convenient is that?) and his exactly words were "Sack the looney git."
Oh, and he supports Kanye in 2020.

Sounds to me like the good Lord is fucking with you.

Wouldn't gofundme money be supporting an illegal activity? Any fundraising site will shut this down unless they want a major lawsuit.

You can't raise money to support someone breaking the law.

Aiustis

This is kind of local so the news was reporting some good tidbits on her.
Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but she's been divorced more than 2 times and has had kids outside of marriage.

Edit: Good it has.

Wouldn't gofundme money be supporting an illegal activity? Any fundraising site will shut this down unless they want a major lawsuit.

You can't raise money to support someone breaking the law.

Hmmm? No...they could easily frame it as simply someone falling upon hard times after being let go.

soleil

Banned
I'm wondering who her boss is, and why he/she hasn't done something about it? And who is THAT person's boss? And that person's boss? And so on.

HylianTom

Banned
Scalia actually did not say anything about this case. They are just quoting Scalia from 2002 about the death penalty and applying it to this case.

Aww phooey. Teach me to skim while I'm working. Too good to be true.

I wanted to believe that even he could be reasonable on this. But he'd probably find a way to worm around to something consistent with his "the sky is falling on religious freedom" Obergefell dissent.

Oppo

"under god's authority"

stopped there.
yep. fire her.

so sad that she probably thinks this is a "test" of her faith. so happy that we don't have to care.

Yeah I was going to say, he has said nothing on this. The article title is quite misleading.

In theory, yes, given his previous statements, he cannot be in favor of this. But who knows what he is actually thinking.

Kill3r7

She is clearly not fit to do her job due. The job conflicts with her religious beliefs. So they should either can/move her or replace her with somebody who can meet the job requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom