• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis denies same-sex marriage license again, despite end of stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymcc

Banned
Why is this still going on, seriously?

because someone is probably ghostwriting this woman an autobiography about how she is a righteous warrior of god so she can sell fuck loads of religious literature to those kinds of book stores (maybe we will even get a low budget film adaptation that will make god's not dead money!) and do national tv panels on america's favorite right-wing network.

there will be lots of gofundme money when the state strips her of her position.

Dicer

Banned
Bureaucracy takes time. The county attorney filed charges against her last week.

Which is shit...

If this warrior princess of god pulled this shit in any other job, she would have been punted ASAP

But now she is a role model for all the crazies and will end up getting rich from this, it's fucking sickening.

Why do we have separation of church and state again?

HeySeuss

What about her past? Does she have any skeletons that could highlight her hypocrisy even more?

I don't understand why the court doesn't reassign her job duties, but it seems they have doubled down on this circus she's created. You would think that the media and spotlight would cause other employees to have a difficultly doing their normal job, not to mention having a microphone shoved in your face to get your opinion of the situation every time you try to go take a shit.

andymcc

Banned
What about her past? Does she have any skeletons that could highlight her hypocrisy even more?

I don't understand why the court doesn't reassign her job duties, but it seems they have doubled down on this circus she's created. You would think that the media and spotlight would cause other employees to have a difficultly doing their normal job, not to mention having a microphone shoved in your face to get your opinion of the situation every time you try to go take a shit.

She herself is a divorcee.

She's presumably remarried divorced couples. She unknowingly signed off on a marriage cert. of a transgender couple.

She isn't logically consistent.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
i said this in an another thread, but a lot of my family and older acquaintances are registered dems and, while they vote dem for county/local elections, they tend to vote GOP on national elections.

some of the shit i've heard the dems say would make GOP Youtube commenters blush. I've met some local Democratic elected officials that would be too much for the current GOP candidates.

shit is weird.

Not really. Republicans just learned how to pit different groups against one another on the national level starting with the southern strategy.

You act like they're both shit, just different types of shit - But you're wrong. I can point you to problems with democrats (pro-corporate, anti-consumer/small-business, too much focus on compartmentalizing certain social and economic issues to certain portions of the country or population as opposed to the country as a whole - IE: Focussing only on federal retirement and health programs for senior citizens as opposed to the entire population, focusing on federal financial aid for post-secondary students but mostly ignoring educational standardization and funding at all levels ), but every problem with the democratic party is magnified in the republican party, and the GOP has a slew of problems on top of that.

There's basically no objective metric by which the GOP offers better solutions for the country (I'm not talking about solutions that are more in line with a preferred ideology, but actual, tangible, evidence-based, better solutions). The days where a republican would push for large scale governmental efforts to actively improve society are over. Republicans used to be about unifying the country under one economic umbrella, the best umbrella that could work for the nation's needs as a whole. A highway system that everyone used and that spanned the entire nation. A transcontinental railroad. National parks and reservations for wildlife. A federal agency to protect the environment. A unified march into space.

These were all pushed by republicans. Democrats were, traditionally, about more localized, individual needs, and have remained so even after the southern strategy. The needs of minorities, of poor communities, of the elderly, of the unemployed, of farmers, of slaveholders, of the disabled.
These interest groups were all championed by the Democratic party. But republicans have forsaken the idea of marching forward together (instead favoring allowing each individual to march forward as much as he or she can under his own effort, without assistance or intervention). Do democrats still have special interests? Yeah, they still take a compartmentalized approach to issues, but they generally try to tackle problems in a way that helps society as a whole, or, at the very least, brings the worst-off portions of society to a more acceptable standard of living.

There is no utilitarianism in the modern GOP at all, and thus, under their form of governance, the more widespread an issue becomes in this country, the less they do to address it.

The modern GOP opposed cost controls in medicare, but they also oppose adjustments to funding for long term maintainability, expansion to more individuals, preserving benefits for the people currently responsible for the funding of medicare, and reducing benefits for the people who are no longer contributing to the program.

They support equal opportunity for all americans but when faced with the reality that there is a widening gap in the allocation of resources across the population (and thus, the amount of opportunities opened up to each individual), they would rather do nothing but tell people to try harder to help themselves and overcome the gap

The modern GOP is the antithesis of a working government, of a society. Just because the democratic party has flaws as well, doesn't mean we're dealing with a question of a giant douche versus a turd sandwich.

andymcc

Banned
Not really. Republicans just learned how to pit different groups against one another on the national level starting with the southern strategy.

yeah, i'm aware of this. it's just a strange thing to witness on a personal level when talking to real, actual people rather than reading political theory and strategy.

CorvoSol

I believe that State proceedings against her have already begun, according to the other thread. Since she is an elected official, the county has no authority to remove her. But the state does.

Oh, okay. So she can't /just/ be fired. There's a process.

Which is shit...

If this warrior princess of god pulled this shit in any other job, she would have been punted ASAP

But now she is a role model for all the crazies and will end up getting rich from this, it's fucking sickening.

Why do we have separation of church and state again?
Well she would be punted out in accordance with local law. Same as here. If there is a specific process, it must be followed. Last thing you'd want is the state acting illegally in removing her just so she has additional cause to use the courts.

Of course the shortcut to all of this would be throwing her in jail which happens hopefully soon.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man Reagan really was right. This government employee is totally incompetent! Praise Reagan and the supreme leader of Iran and Trump who are consistent on this point!

ElyrionX

Reading about this case, I found out this woman was ELECTED? There's an electoral process for government admin workers in the US? WTF?

HylianTom

Banned
Hmm.. it seems he and I think alike:
AF9C1A6E-69BA-4A56-ACB3-F664D4AF120D.png.jpeg

We know how this ends. If I'm one of the two in the couple, I play it up for emotional damages when in front of the cameras, all while knowing that the longer this story stays alive, the better the chances are that this gets brought-up in the GOP race (force each candidate to take a position? Maybe it'll be a debate question?), thus helping a little tiny bit in the cause of getting more friendly judges in place for the future.

(But I'm a cynical, plotting bastard..)

Okay. Follow-up question: why, unlike every other developed country, are partisan elected officials responsible for running elections in America?

Hey man, i'm still trying to figure out why people vote for judges.
"here's an immensely technical position. Let's fill it up via a popularity contest."

Okay. Follow-up question: why, unlike every other developed country, are partisan elected officials responsible for running elections in America?
Granted that it varies somewhat from place to place, no one has ever been able to give me an explanation for this.

Overwhelmingly, American elected officials also get to run redistricting, too. It's mindblowing.

Enron

Banned
Granted that it varies somewhat from place to place, no one has ever been able to give me an explanation for this.

Overwhelmingly, American elected officials also get to run redistricting, too. It's mindblowing.

Well, the alternative is that an appointed official gets to run elections. That's not exactly free of bias either. It's probably worse.

Enron

Banned
I figured it would be an uncontested race or something but nope: She was the Democratic candidate and beat the Republican 53.2% to 46.8%. It was also a pretty contested party primary. She barely won 47.2% to 44.2% to 8.5%.

They also elect the county jailer (57.8% for Wes Coldiron (GOP) over 42.2% for David Fultz (Dem)) and the county coroner (John Northcutt (Dem) won with 100% of the vote).

Rowan County also voted for Alison Lundergan Grimes over Mitch McConnell 49.6% to 46.7%.

Good ol Eastern Kentucky.

how many people actually voted for County Clerk?

If they decide to fine her instead of jail, can it be a sliding scale to make up for all the idiots that will send her money? I think I read somewhere she will be fined per day.

Zoe

Oh, okay. So she can't /just/ be fired. There's a process.

Yes. The county can't be the one to force her out, it has to come from the state. The county attorney has filed charges, but the state has to appoint an attorney from a different county.

Presumably the state would be for getting rid of her because it was the governor's office in the first place that told her to do her job or get out.

Well, the alternative is that an appointed official gets to run elections. That's not exactly free of bias either. It's probably worse.
That's not the only alternative. In my country there is an examn (a fucking hard one), and the ones with the best grades get the job. Not appointed, not elected. That works for police, judges, administration, nurses, teachers...

Hey man, i'm still trying to figure out why people vote for judges.
"here's an immensely technical position. Let's fill it up via a popularity contest."

It's either let the people elect the local judges directly or they are appointed/hired by someone/come committee that they have to pledge a loyalty and purity to. I've had friends and colleagues appointed judge, I know how it works, it is not pretty. I would make judicial elections be non partisan, frankly, that would eliminate straight ticket voted in judges which from my experience is the biggest problem with judicial elections.

Sanjuro

I don't agree with her being fired or jailed either. Being levied a large daily fine seems like an interesting social experiment.

Zoe

That's not the only alternative. In my country there is an examn (a fucking hard one), and the ones with the best grades get the job. Not appointed, not elected. That works for police, judges, administration, nurses, teachers...

Assigning posts based on grades won't fly in many areas due to affirmative action.

danm999

Why aren't Supreme Court justices elected then?

I dunno, having your political parties run elections seems like begging for abuse. Gerrymandering, malapportionment, discriminatory voting rules, all spring from it.

At least a body that's nominally independent can block very basic abuses like it does in other nations. I fail to see how it could be worse.

Condom

Too much electable positions in the US system, stuff that let's crazies get their hands on positions meant for professional officials.

HylianTom

Banned
I don't agree with her being fired or jailed either. Being levied a large daily fine seems like an interesting social experiment.
Agree.. no jail. I mainly want the daily fine to be high enough such that no GoFundMe-type operation can keep up.

andymcc

Banned
Agree.. no jail. I mainly want the daily fine to be high enough such that no GoFundMe-type operation can keep up.

i wonder if there would be legal ramifications for accepting gofundme money while ignoring judicial orders. isn't that effectively bribing the system?

Arkeband

Banned
Would they be fined and expected to pay out of pocket, or would this be a fine levied at their court office that the taxpayer would have to end up paying anyway?

AndyD

aka andydumi
i wonder if there would be legal ramifications for accepting gofundme money while ignoring judicial orders. isn't that effectively bribing the system?

Someone mentioned statutes that prevent government employees from accepting funds/gifts related to the performance of their duties.

GhaleonEB

Without threat of firing or jail time, she'll just refuse to pay, as she's refused to issue licensees. I'm sure someone would start a fundraising campaign online for like minded bigots to pay her fines, and she'd come out a hero.

She needs to be removed from her job.

It's not really an experiment. It's what courts do when government officials repeatedly fail to comply with court rulings.

Watch Show Me A Hero on HBO for an example of this.

JDSN

Banned
Without threat of firing or jail time, she'll just refuse to pay, as she's refused to issue licensees. I'm sure someone would start a fundraising campaign online for like minded bigots to pay her fines, and she'd come out a hero.

She needs to be removed from her job.

Would the fundraising basically be illegal? Id be like she getting paid to not do her job.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Assigning posts based on grades won't fly in many areas due to affirmative action.

I really Dont understand this point. How would affirmative action apply to political positions and what will being graded affect?

Judges (usually) have to have a law degree already.

_Ryo_

1. Place a daily fine for Every couple she denied rights to. Hetero and homo.
2. Jail her.
3. A judge should rule that donations and gifts are forbidden as an acceptable way to pay the fines. She has to pay her own money and not taxpayers.
4. Rule she also has to pay court costs out of pocket.

or
Admit she is wrong and personally issue licenses to every couple denied, while making a formal apology to each and every person individually in person, and issue an apology to the county and the state for not doing her job as well as making a legally binding vow that she will do her job forever without issue.

Basically its jail and fines or a bit of shaming, but still having freedom and money...

Zoe

I really Dont understand this point. How would affirmative action apply to political positions and what will being graded affect?

Judges (usually) have to have a law degree already.

There was a three year hiring freeze for the Austin Fire Department because minorities weren't able to score high enough on the exam. You need more factors than just a test for public positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom