• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis denies same-sex marriage license again, despite end of stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a lawyer I'm not usually rooting for jail time for non-violent offenses but fuck I want this lady to be jailed. :/ The worst part is no matter what happens she'll consider herself a martyr and so will her bigoted supporters. It's insane to me that some people are still wasting time on such repugnant displays now that it's been settled definitively.

Kallor

I don't even. How/why is this still going on. My god.

gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first that were fathered by the third? Not hard to guess what happened with the second.

Fuck this religious hypocrite.

AMUSIX

screw jail...jail makes her a martyr....just fine her. Heavily. So heavily that all those good christians who will hand her free money won't be enough to cover it.

Why does the position of county clerk exist? Why not simply have it as a hired position, and have people be notarized if necessary? Given that a clerk's role is to implement, not make, policy, why does the job exist at all?

Record keeping. Local government that I work for currently has the position officially as "City Clerk-Treasurer." So there's that, I guess. Then again, that's city and not county.

I couldn't tell you. I literally know next to nothing about government positions and how they work. And I work there.

Volimar

Why does the position of county clerk exist? Why not simply have it as a hired position, and have people be notarized if necessary? Given that a clerk's role is to implement, not make, policy, why does the job exist at all?

Certainly seems to impart delusions of grandeur.

gogosox82

screw jail...jail makes her a martyr....just fine her. Heavily. So heavily that all those good christians who will hand her free money won't be enough to cover it.

Its too late for that. This is some shit I could see Ted Cruz bringing up over and over again when he's campaigning about how Christians are prosecuted like he's been doing for the last year or so. Whatever happens, she needs to be removed from her position if she is going to refuse to do essential job functions. Not sure how that happens honestly. They could fine or jail her but would that make her change her mind since its her decision? Doubt it honestly.

Dai101

Banned
And here i was, believing that Pressing Issues in VCPR was just a parody talk-show in radio but no, it's actually a documentary. How naive i am.

Osahi

What a cunt. I felt actually enraged at that video.

What a way to go down in history too, as the cunt who stood up against love. Bravo

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Are they not able to fire her?

her position is elected - the county can't do anything, only the state can.

Yeah, she can only be removed by impeachment by the state legislature, which isn't in session until January. However, I also read that some local judge has authority to issue licenses when the clerk is "absent," which is a requirement that might be met if she were to be imprisoned for contempt.

jb1234

That video really pissed me off. I feel just as angry at the rest of the people working in that office, who just sit there and ignore the whole thing.

benjipwns

Banned
Statement she issued:
Kim Davis said:
I have worked in the Rowan County Clerk’s office for 27 years as a Deputy Clerk and was honored to be elected as the Clerk in November 2014, and took office in January 2015. I love my job and the people of Rowan County. I have never lived any place other than Rowan County. Some people have said I should resign, but I have done my job well. This year we are on track to generate a surplus for the county of 1.5 million dollars.

In addition to my desire to serve the people of Rowan County, I owe my life to Jesus Christ who loves me and gave His life for me. Following the death of my godly mother-in-law over four years ago, I went to church to fulfill her dying wish. There I heard a message of grace and forgiveness and surrendered my life to Jesus Christ. I am not perfect. No one is. But I am forgiven and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God.

I never imagined a day like this would come, where I would be asked to violate a central teaching of Scripture and of Jesus Himself regarding marriage. To issue a marriage license which conflicts with God’s definition of marriage, with my name affixed to the certificate, would violate my conscience. It is not a light issue for me. It is a Heaven or Hell decision. For me it is a decision of obedience. I have no animosity toward anyone and harbor no ill will. To me this has never been a gay or lesbian issue. It is about marriage and God’s Word. It is a matter of religious liberty, which is protected under the First Amendment, the Kentucky Constitution, and in the Kentucky Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Our history is filled with accommodations for people’s religious freedom and conscience. I want to continue to perform my duties, but I also am requesting what our Founders envisioned – that conscience and religious freedom would be protected. That is all I am asking. I never sought to be in this position, and I would much rather not have been placed in this position. I have received death threats from people who do not know me. I harbor nothing against them. I was elected by the people to serve as the County Clerk. I intend to continue to serve the people of Rowan County, but I cannot violate my conscience.
I don't think this is going to hold up in court.

Damnit I got my threads mixed up and thought she got pepper-sprayed. Oh well

I have never lived any place other than Rowan County.

Well things are starting to make sense

I never imagined a day like this would come, where I would be asked to violate a central teaching of Scripture and of Jesus Himself regarding marriage.

Me neither. Well holy fuck the day came right to your doorstep

To issue a marriage license which conflicts with God’s definition of marriage, with my name affixed to the certificate

Oh my Lordy Jesus I really empathize with you, and I have to say you might not be fit for office

To me this has never been a gay or lesbian issue. It is about marriage and God’s Word. It is a matter of religious liberty, which is protected under the First Amendment, the Kentucky Constitution, and in the Kentucky Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Our history is filled with accommodations for people’s religious freedom and conscience.

Damn, thanks for giving us a lead on the unconstitutional legislature that is soon to be abolished. Also, you just lied.

I have no animosity toward anyone and harbor no ill will. To me this has never been a gay or lesbian issue. It is about marriage and God’s Word.

I think we have heard enough. You are fit to resign

I want to continue to perform my duties, but I also am requesting what our Founders envisioned – that conscience and religious freedom would be protected. That is all I am asking. I never sought to be in this position, and I would much rather not have been placed in this position.

You just contradicted the hell out of yourself but we have found a solution. And you're asking to overrule the Supreme Court based on your state's commitment to conscience and religious freedom? This isn't church, honey.

I have received death threats from people who do not know me. I harbor nothing against them. I was elected by the people to serve as the County Clerk. I intend to continue to serve the people of Rowan County, but I cannot violate my conscience.

Then we're all in agreement. Let's wrap this up and get you outta here

shem935

Banned
" I never thought I would have to grant licenses to people who went against Jesus's teachings on marriage, who went against gods definition of marriage."

Oh yeah I remember that passage where Jesus said gay people shouldn't get married goes like "love your neighbor as yourself unless he's gay in which case you should hate them and deny them the same rights you would give someone else"....oh wait that doesn't exist? Well surely God has tons to say on the matter right? Oh... He talks about it twice and once it's actually just Paul and the other time it's burried in a bunch of other laws we already ignore because they don't help us further our prejudices. Weird.

HariKari

I never imagined a day like this would come, where I would be asked to violate a central teaching of Scripture and of Jesus Himself regarding marriage

You work for the state, not your church.

How do these people get jobs? I mean, Kentucky and all, but really.

Yeah, and her quote doesn't even hold up to scrutiny if you consider she's been divorced several times.

She's just looking for an excuse to justify her bigotry.

benjipwns

Banned

Her mom was county clerk for 37 years, and she was deputy for 27 years. When her mom stepped down, she moved up.

It's an "elect who everybody knows" thing more than a "Kentucky" thing.

benjipwns

Banned
I figured it would be an uncontested race or something but nope: She was the Democratic candidate and beat the Republican 53.2% to 46.8%. It was also a pretty contested party primary. She barely won 47.2% to 44.2% to 8.5%.

They also elect the county jailer (57.8% for Wes Coldiron (GOP) over 42.2% for David Fultz (Dem)) and the county coroner (John Northcutt (Dem) won with 100% of the vote).

Rowan County also voted for Alison Lundergan Grimes over Mitch McConnell 49.6% to 46.7%.

Good ol Eastern Kentucky.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I figured it would be an uncontested race or something but nope: She was the Democratic candidate and beat the Republican 53.2% to 46.8%. It was also a pretty contested party primary. She barely won 47.2% to 44.2% to 8.5%.

They also elect the county jailer (57.8% for Wes Coldiron (GOP) over 42.2% for David Fultz (Dem)) and the county coroner (John Northcutt (Dem) won with 100% of the vote).

Rowan County also voted for Alison Lundergan Grimes over Mitch McConnell 49.6% to 46.7%.

Clerks, coroners, and jailers should not be elected positions. What's next, the janitor for the county office?

Violating a central teaching of scripture?

I can't stand these damn cherry pickers! I must have skipped over the book of homophobia when I read the bible all those years ago.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why can't her colleagues issue the license or are they a bunch of cowards.

I'm wondering this too. Is she the only one there who can perform this duty?

If so, for the sake of pragmatism, perhaps the office should get someone else in to manage this and they can informally sort out between themselves who will serve who without making any public grand stands about it. Of course, the office should not have to do this, if an office only has one clerk who can do this, they can't run a personal rule of law. But just to get over this hump and get licenses out in this case.

edit - it's an elected position, and she's the only one there? lord help us. This is paper pushing job for a clerical officer, nothing more.

Monocle

I hope this hypocritical nut suffers the maximum legal consequences. The state needs to prevent her from profiting from her bigotry too.

thefro

I'd say the big reason is because they're also in charge of running elections.

She says she wants to keep her job and not violate her faith but lady, the law is law and these people need to get married. How else are they supposed to do that.

If you can't handle the realities of a job because of your religion, you can't hold that position. I don't really csre if she is a hypocrit or w/e, this is part of the job. Your religion is irrelevant.

If her conscience forbids her from performing the duties of the completely secular job she accepted and she's sooooo righteous then she should recognize that the two are incompatible and voluntarily resign, trusting that the Lord will guide her towards greener pastures. Right? Right?

Aaaannny way, It's always fascinating to see people trumpeting their freedom to, uh, deny other people freedom. Obviously Christ almighty saw fit to deprive her any sense of irony.

I'm always baffeled by people who don't understand that the laws of a secular country have to apply to all people and therefore can't be based on the religion and believes of some people.

You don't like same sex marriages? Don't have one. If you don't want to have anything to do with it at your job, don't get a job in the field. You wouldn't apply for a job as a bartender in stripclub if you thought strip shows were sin, would you? Or would you just not serve the people who came there to enjoy stripshows?

I get that the same-sex marriage - strip show analogy isn't ideal, but I don't have the time to come up with a better one

andymcc

Banned

i said this in an another thread, but a lot of my family and older acquaintances are registered dems and, while they vote dem for county/local elections, they tend to vote GOP on national elections.

some of the shit i've heard the dems say would make GOP Youtube commenters blush. I've met some local Democratic elected officials that would be too much for the current GOP candidates.

shit is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom