• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky changes law so Kim Davis doesn't have to sign marriage licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamfMeat

http://dailycaller.com/2016/04/14/k...lly-won-the-same-sex-marriage-license-battle/

Republican Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin signed a bill Wednesday that brings “statutory finality” to the long battle over marriage licenses in the state, WLKY reports. Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis refused in 2015 to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples with her name on them, citing her religious belief in traditional marriage. She was sued and jailed for five days when a judge held her in contempt of court, but she was later released when other employees in the clerk’s office began issuing licenses.

The bill changes marriage licenses so they do not include the county clerk’s name and allow people to check whether they are a bride, groom or spouse.

So basically, instead of holding a government official to their duties, we'll just change the entire law around her.

Searched, didn't find anything. Refuse to sign my marriage license if old.

I'm generally okay with ignoring the Federal government and promoting states rights ( like with marijuana laws and such ) but this is bullshit. County Clerk's are required to sign that license

I'm generally okay with ignoring the Federal government and promoting states rights ( like with marijuana laws and such ) but this is bullshit
Read again. This isn't about Kentucky making it okay to deny licenses. This is Kentucky just cutting county clerks out of the loop.

Maybe not as ideologically ideal, but it's a good move.

Quonny

As a hopefully temporary solution (as time passes and people learn to accept it this will be less and less of an issue...I hope), I guess it's not the worst.

At the end of the day if these couples are officially married that's what matters. One of the happiest days in their lives won't be ruined by some idiot. These bigots will eventually die.

Why even waste time hiring these people and keeping them on if you're just gonna make concessions for them when they don't want to do their job?

Read again. This isn't about Kentucky making it okay to deny licenses. This is Kentucky just cutting county clerks out of the loop.

Maybe not as ideologically ideal, but it's a good move.

I still think the clerks should be required to sign the licenses. It's part of their job. And what if her outsourced employees also refuse to sign due to religious reason?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
they're basically making it so that both sides get what they want, when really only one side is correct on the matter.

I still think the clerks should be required to sign the licenses. It's part of their job. And what if her outsourced employees also refuse to sign due to religious reason?

her name doesnt appear on the certificate anymore. why does it matter if one particular clerk signs it or it is issued by the "office"? this doesnt give them an out to reject the certificate.

Somnid

Fine with me. The only reason others have to sign the license is due to religious policing in the first place.

riotous

Banned
I'm guessing this will be struck down; theoretically this could stop people from using a constitutionally protected right. What if all of the clerks refuse?

I really hope these idiots enacting these laws cause a huge backlash against this sort of ridiculous social conservatism. The majority of people support gay marriage and that majority continues to grow. Good fucking luck staying relevant with this asinine attitude.

edit: nevermind sounds like you just don't need a signature anymore

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If it is the case that the legislature can amend statute so as to remove the legal requirement of a county clerk's signature from important county documents, why do county clerks have a job at all? It's an egregious waste of taxpayer money that representatives know they could eliminate the position by simply passing a few more bills like this one and they choose not to. Fire every single county clerk (or eliminate the position by statute, whatever), reduce their statutory authority to 0, and hire a cheaper office manager for any of the personnel duties they have. Anyone who disagrees with this is a tax-and-spend liberal passing out benefits to their high-paid civil service friends.

they're basically making it so that both sides get what they want, when really only one side is correct on the matter.

her name doesnt appear on the certificate anymore. why does it matter if one particular clerk signs it or it is issued by the "office"? this doesnt give them an out to reject the certificate.

I'm afraid they'll try to find a way, but I hope you're right

Korigama

I wonder how many other jobs people are allowed to keep after making national headlines for refusing to actually do their work...

http://dailycaller.com/2016/04/14/k...lly-won-the-same-sex-marriage-license-battle/

So basically, instead of holding a government official to their duties, we'll just change the entire law around her.

Searched, didn't find anything. Refuse to sign my marriage license if old.

I'm fine with this actually.

Religion and state should be separated. This way, you don't force anyone to compromise their beliefs for their job, nor do you compromise anyone else's rights based on someone else's religious belief.

He has effectively separated all philosophy from the certificate process and reworded it so that any couple can marry, regardless of sexual preference. That's exactly how it should be.

If it is the case that the legislature can amend statute so as to remove the legal requirement of a county clerk's signature from important county documents, why do county clerks have a job at all? It's an egregious waste of taxpayer money that representatives know they could eliminate the position by simply passing a few more bills like this one and they choose not to. Fire every single county clerk (or eliminate the position by statute, whatever), reduce their statutory authority to 0, and hire a cheaper office manager for any of the personnel duties they have. Anyone who disagrees with this is a tax-and-spend liberal passing out benefits to their high-paid civil service friends.

Hey, if it cuts a wasteful job and saves the state money, then get rid of the position!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
These ass backwards dumb mothafuckas! The amount of stupidity in this country is beyond staggering.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
qo1rWRc.jpg

Always and forever.

riotous

Banned

Religion and state should be separated. This way, you don't force anyone to compromise their beliefs for their job, nor do you compromise anyone else's rights based on someone else's religious belief.

He has effectively separated all philosophy from the certificate process. That's exactly how it should be.

Except nobody is forced to do anything; they always have the option to quit.

If this is some precedent? Why limit it to marriage licenses? Why have government employees involved in any act? Couldn't any act theoretically be against their beliefs? Why limit it to government employees; should someone be allowed to be a doctor whose religion doesn't believe in anything but faith healing?

Religion and State ARE separated; you actually have it sort of backwards. This is allowing a government employee to bring their religion into the "State."

The government allows religions to be involved in marriage licensing; if anything that is what should be removed based on the precedent you speak of.

Wasn't Kim Davis found to have had multiple marriages and even children out of wedlock? But when it comes to putting her name on a piece of paper for a gay couple to be united thats where her religious beliefs come into play. How's that for massive hypocrisy!?

Aselith

Will be struck down by the Supreme Court

So who is authorizing the union? Some government worker will still have to recognize the union so who is that?

BamfMeat

He has effectively separated all philosophy from the certificate process and reworded it so that any couple can marry, regardless of sexual preference. That's exactly how it should be.

Religion and state should be separated. That means that someones religious convictions need to be checked at the door, not a law molded around them. There's a huge difference.

Wasn't Kim Davis found to have had multiple marriages and even children out of wedlock? But when it comes to putting her name on a piece of paper for a gay couple to be united thats where her religious beliefs come into play. How's that for massive hypocrisy!?

Impressive but of course Christians are exempt from following the standards of their own values because they're all automatically more holy and thus forgivable since they're Christian.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Will be struck down by the Supreme Court

So who is authorizing the union? Some government worker will still have to recognize the union so who is that?

seems like literally anyone in the office can do so. whoever did it for the one that Kim Davis refused to, for starters

When does this go into effect? I only ask because the bride/groom/spouse is exactly what I'm looking for in my marriage license. I'm not partner B!

And yes I understand this might upset some folks. If this is a work around just know time heals all wounds and eventually the problem people will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom