• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

As far as I know the governor saying he thinks vandalized licenses are valid isn't the same thing as them actually being valid, she could very easily end up in jail again for this

The attorney general was the one who said he thought they are valid, the governor said they will be honored by the state with no qualifier. I guess someone could sue to try to block that but if the governor says they will be recognized then they will be.

Zubz

Banned
She must really want get her 15 minutes of fame yet again, huh?

Exactly what I was thinking. She was clearly begging for attention last time she got out of jail. But that time, it was only a weekend in a cell, and it wrapped up with a party held in her honor. I don't think she even considered how much more severe the repercussions would be for a repeat offense.

The attorney general was the one who said he thought they are valid, the governor said they will be honored by the state with no qualifier. I guess someone could sue to try to block that but if the governor says they will be recognized then they will be.

The governor and ag can control lawsuits they bring but they have no control over private suits. Standing/summary judgments will be an issue for almost every conceivable suit except for perhaps probated estates. There is the potential for litigation there in cases, for example, such as a spouse dieing without a will and his/her children from a prior marriage contest the same sex marriage as being invalid due to a bad marriage license. I can't see that going anywhere but it would eat up lawyer fees since you are dealing with country judges who may listen to those arguments.

Aselith

Idk, she falsified documents but jail seems to harsh for breaking the law.

That plus she did it for Jesus. Like that time I killed the homeless dude, when Jesus tells you to start mailing out organs you mail out organs. Then they want to call ME a monster. Yeah, ok at least I'm not oppressing religious liberties, DAD.

neshcom

Banned
I guess it's up to a judge to decide, but with the politicians saying they'll uphold the documents (assuming they've seen them), I feel like the court will say they're fine as-is.

It's amazing that even after this, she'll probably still have her job, unless the judge decides to actually do something.

Think of all the things that you could do at your job, maybe somethings that you've been tempted to do, that would get you fired immediately.

And compare it to this woman.

When are people going to learn!?

Democracy doesn't work!

Brashnir

It's amazing that even after this, she'll probably still have her job, unless the judge decides to actually do something.

Think of all the things that you could do at your job, maybe somethings that you've been tempted to do, that would get fired immediately.

And compare it to this woman.

When are people going to learn!?

Democracy doesn't work!

it works fine, but it doesn't always provide instant gratification. Learn some patience.

Brashnir

Meaning at least 20 years? But how?

Probably around that long. I stopped watching a couple seasons after Conan O'Brien left the show. That's not to say I haven't seen bits and pieces of it here and there (and I did see the terrible movie), but I probably haven't watched an episode of the show in 20 years.

GhaleonEB

Probably around that long. I stopped watching a couple seasons after Conan O'Brien left the show. That's not to say I haven't seen bits and pieces of it here and there (and I did see the terrible movie), but I probably haven't watched an episode of the show in 20 years.

Same. My memories of the Simpsons are all tied to the first ~5 seasons or so.

Spladam

my mistake. :) Haven't watched the Simpsons in decades.

I think this is the same for most Simpsons fans, though I still feel guilty for not having seen like 10 seasons, I still try to catch up on the Tree House of Horrors. It's sad to see them no longer relevant.

Monocle

Severe consequences are in order. That last thing we need is for this old bat to galvanize other bigoted government employees.

That plus she did it for Jesus. Like that time I killed the homeless dude, when Jesus tells you to start mailing out organs you mail out organs. Then they want to call ME a monster. Yeah, ok at least I'm not oppressing religious liberties, DAD.
Hey, that happened to me too. I know it was Jesus because the voice said "Keep all the sweetmeats for yourself, my son. And any soft tissues that catch your eye." The memory of his generosity moves me to this day. And the flesh was delicious.

Cheerilee

Conan was on the Simpsons for seasons 4&5.

Kent Brockman's "Democracy simply doesn't work" was from season 6, still well within the range of Simpsons seasons that were good.

You should know that Democracy doesn't work.

I wonder if she can be sued by the people who had their licenses given to them by her deputies. Seams like she can receive actual action from the people she was effecting, not just from the judge, since she altered legal documents.

Not sure if posted.

12002331_1070092006358833_5547492478304642067_n.jpg

Funny AND worrisome..hope his part is small in the movie..if it's real, that is.

atr0cious

Not sure if posted.

12002331_1070092006358833_5547492478304642067_n.jpg

Funny AND worrisome..hope his part is small in the movie..if it's real, that is.
Harrison Ford literally got handed that job and Indy because others didn't want to do it. He seethes at the thought of being a nerd icon. His hate of acting is palpable in movies with lesser directors.

Aselith

Harrison Ford literally got handed that job and Indy because others didn't want to do it. He seethes at the thought of being a nerd icon. His hate of acting is palpable in movies with lesser directors.

Well that's not true there were lots of people auditioning for Han Solo but he filled in for an audition read and got the job based on that.

FStop7

Banned
She won't get thrown out. Both the Kentucky legislature and her constituents are behind her.

If the state fails to act then the federal government should threaten to cut all funding to the state of Kentucky. They'll fold in an instant.

atr0cious

Well that's not true there were lots of people auditioning for Han Solo but he filled in for an audition read and got the job based on that.
You don't think him being a no name already on set didn't affect anything? Budget? I'm not saying he can't do his job, but his hate of it and his fame is no secret.

Aselith

You don't think him being a no name already on set didn't affect anything? Budget? I'm not saying he can't do his job, but his hate of it and his fame is no secret.

Yeah of course but that's not getting handed the job if they were actively looking for someone else. It's being in the right place at the right time. Plenty of people do audition reads and nothing comes of it so he still had to show his ability to get the job just like any actor.

Huter

Neo Member
Yeah, the Deputy Clerk being represented here is Brian Mason seen here on the left of this picture shaking the hands of a same-sex couple after he gave them their marriage licenses.

B8l1ueo.jpg

Brian going Alpha!

They should give Davis job to him.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

For some reason, political nuts of all stripes are obsessed with Notaries Public. There's always a notary involved when someone is doing some quack thing. Alien abductions, nonsense inventions, bizarre lawsuits against celebrities for sending telepathic mind waves through their films.

U.S. District Judge David Bunning released Davis from jail on the condition that she not interfere with her employees as they issue marriage licenses. When she returned to work, Davis altered the marriage forms by removing her name, making deputy clerk Brian Mason initial the form instead of sign it, and then requiring the form to be notarized.

"A notary has nothing to do with it," Mason's attorney, Richard Hughes, told The Associated Press on Friday after filing a status report with the judge. Hughes said it was "really bizarre" that Davis would alter the forms.

Christine

Mason has calmly and cheerfully issued marriage licenses in Rowan County, often amid a scrum of TV cameras and recorders documenting his every move. He has declined interview requests, and it is not clear what relationship he has with Davis. During her federal testimony, Davis described Mason as a "very loyal, very dedicated, very good employee."

"(Mason) says he has a good relationship with her," Hughes said. "It's been hard on all of them."

I bet a dollar that Brian is the one fun person in the office everyone gets along with.

Christine

Everybody was fine with the judge's orders except for her own son. There's no reason to think everyone there is on her side.

I don't. My armchair psychoanalysis is (other deputies happy to let Brian take point on issuing the marriage licenses) + (Davis says he's a good employee / Mason says he has a good work relationship with Davis) = Brian probably maintains good work relationships and may be the most socially engaged person in the office.

jb1234

Everybody was fine with the judge's orders except for her own son. There's no reason to think everyone there is on her side.

The above article states that Mason is the only one there who has no issue with obeying the orders. The rest are agreeing to it because they have no choice.

Spladam

If the state fails to act then the federal government should threaten to cut all funding to the state of Kentucky. They'll fold in an instant.

This would most likely escalate the support backlash on the right as well. We have to trust the States to handle some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom