• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spladam

I don't. My armchair psychoanalysis is (other deputies happy to let Brian take point on issuing the marriage licenses) + (Davis says he's a good employee / Mason says he has a good work relationship with Davis) = Brian probably maintains good work relationships and may be the most socially engaged person in the office.

That is some pretty in depth "armchair psychoanalysis" there. He sure handled the cameras and the spotlight like a pro, and I'm sure the other folks in the office are grateful to him for stepping up and keeping them from being in the same position. He sets a good example, as I reason he agrees with Kim ideologically, but does his job all the same because it's his job.

MJPIA

I don't know if anyone else has seen her interview with abc news yesterday.
Did not have any urge to watch the interview but they've got an article written up based off it.
Some choice quotes from it.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-denied-marriage-licenses-friends/story?id=33939041

Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis says she has refused to issue marriage licenses to her friends in same-sex relationships, explaining that even friendship couldn’t convince her to change her stance.

“I can't put my name on a license that doesn't represent what God ordained marriage to be," Davis told ABC News’ Paula Faris in a Monday interview in Morehead, Kentucky.

Davis admits that she hasn’t always been a “good” person. She has been married four times and had children in an adulterous relationship, but she doesn’t consider herself a hypocrite.

“No, I’m forgiven,” she said. “Washed clean.”

Davis found God four and a half years ago, she said.

Davis believes that her Christian beliefs trump her day-to-day responsibilities.

“My constituents elected me. But the main authority that rules my life is the Lord,” she said.

As for why she would remain in her position despite the challenges, she said, “I’m good at my job.”

rjinaz

Did not have any urge to watch the interview but they've got an article written up based off it.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-denied-marriage-licenses-friends/story?id=33939041

It sure is convenient isn't it? Using this way of thinking they don't have to feel guilty about things they have done in their past. The best part is, they don't feel like they are hypocrites when they judge others for doing the same things because some how they are on a higher moral ground because what they did doesn't count anymore. Even better, they can screw up again by doing something shitty or against the religion and just wash themselves clean again absolving themselves of doing anything wrong.

There is a certain appeal I suppose. Me, I like to reflect on my past mistakes, recognize them for what they are, and try not to repeat my mistakes because I want to be a better person and not because I might anger god.

Why would you want to be friends with her? I think elected officials should have to produce names when they talk about their gay "friends".

Vestal

Gold Member
It sure is convenient isn't it? Using this way of thinking they don't have to feel guilty about things they have done in their past. The best part is, they don't feel like they are hypocrites when they judge others for doing the same things because some how they are on a higher moral ground because what they did doesn't count anymore. Even better, they can screw up again by doing something shitty or against the religion and just wash themselves clean again absolving themselves of doing anything wrong.

There is a certain appeal I suppose. Me, I like to reflect on my past mistakes, recognize them for what they are, and try not to repeat my mistakes because I want to be a better person and not because I might anger god.

The problem with Religion... Its not written in legal language, therefore its left up to us to interpret it. Let me rephrase that, it is left to us to twist the words in a way that makes us look good. But on the other hand, its a great piece of fiction.

ItIsOkBro

She could marry them and ask for forgiveness as well. If God can forgive you for remarrying four times and cheating I'm sure he could forgive you for making others happy. And God could forgive (from her mindset) the people she's marrying but of course she answers to God while other people answer to her.

Slayven

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ke...rt-over-licenses/ar-AAeAMUJ?ocid=ansmsnnews11

Davis' office issued marriage licenses while she was in jail, but the licenses did not include her name. Bunning ruled those licenses were valid and released Davis on the condition that she not interfere with her employees. Davis, a Democrat, was greeted at the Carter County Detention Center by a crowd of thousands and a church choir, flanked by her attorney and Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee.

But when Davis returned to work last week, she confiscated the marriage licenses and replaced them. The new licenses say they were issued not under the authority of the county clerk, but "pursuant to federal court order."

On Monday, lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union wrote that the validity of the altered licenses is "questionable at best," and the new licenses bring "humiliation and stigma" to the gay couples who receive them. They asked Judge Bunning to order Davis' office to reissue the licenses. If Davis interferes, the lawyers say Bunning should place her office in a receivership for the purposes of issuing marriage licenses.

Wilsongt

(Reuters) - The county clerk from Kentucky who went to jail rather than issue marriage licenses to gay couples said the licenses being granted by her staff are invalid, according to an interview that aired on Tuesday.

"I can't put my name on a license that doesn't represent what God ordained what marriage to be," Davis said in a television interview with ABC News, taped on Monday.

"They're not valid in God's eyes, for one," she said of licenses her staff has begun issuing. "I have given no authority to write a marriage license. They did not have my permission, they did not have my authorization."

Davis, 50, has said her Christian beliefs prevent her from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. She was released on the condition that she not interfere with the issuance of marriage licenses.

Davis added that she was prepared to return to jail over the controversy, according to ABC.

Send the cunt back to jail.

Next time she's in jail, we simply need to manage some "ethereal" voice modulation and have somebody talk to her in the guise of God, telling her that she's a sinner and will go to hell for what she's done.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's going to be so frustrating when they pass an exemption for this disgusting woman in January.

JDSN

Banned
The judge should hold off and wait for her to do something fucked up that sends her to jail for a long time. This chick is only trying to do this mild shit that wont get give her time and will allow her to go for the innevitable book deal/douchebag movie with Kevin Sorbo.

mclem

“I can't put my name on a license that doesn't represent what God ordained marriage to be," Davis told ABC News’ Paula Faris in a Monday interview in Morehead, Kentucky.

Did God ordain marriage to be licenced? Is that in the fine print of one of the books? It's probably Numbers, no-one ever remembers much about Numbers.

MattyG

Banned
"They're not valid in God's eyes, for one," she said of licenses her staff has begun issuing. "I have given no authority to write a marriage license. They did not have my permission, they did not have my authorization."
Then fucking issue the licenses and let God "deal with them" or whatever the fuck you think is going to happen because they aren't "valid". Fuck off with your bullshit and stop acting like everyone has to bend over fucking backwards to meet your doctrine.

Since she says she has no problem going back to jail, I don't suppose she could just check herself in voluntarily so we can avoid another round of lame political stunts?

My favorite part of her current con is removing her name from paperwork. It was a license that came out of her office. She can do mental gymnastics all day but that's still what it is. I don't think you can trick God with some paperwork trickery and claim innocence. He totally checks the fine print when he decides if someone disobeyed him when judging them, right? Hah. A bureaucrat using a bureaucratic excuse is ironic here since she keeps talking about the "higher power" involved.

Altering legal documents, though? Yeah that's a crime.
Did God ordain marriage to be licenced? Is that in the fine print of one of the books? It's probably Numbers, no-one ever remembers much about Numbers.
For someone in a public office her inability to understand the difference between on-paper legal marriage and totally-not-legally-binding Jesus-sanctioned spiritual marriage is rather depressing. Though all opponents of marriage equality tend to have the same problem.

Hollycat

I can't believe she's still seriously doing this. How could someone not see this is wrong. And the part about not granting licences to gay friends? If you wont do it for them, you aren't their friend.

benjipwns

Banned
This chick really is the modern day George Wallace. It's unbelievable.
I feel like this is insulting to George Wallace's level of dick achieved throughout his life.

I mean Davis at least seems to believe her shit and is going to jail for it and probably getting canned.

George Wallace wasn't a racist until he lost and said "you want racism? I'll give you fucking racism!"
In 1958, Wallace ran in the Democratic primary for governor. Since the 1901 constitution's effective disfranchisement of the state's blacks, and most poor whites as well, the Democratic Party had been virtually the only party in Alabama. For all intents and purposes, the Democratic primary was the real contest at the state level. This was a political crossroads for Wallace. State Representative George C. Hawkins of Gadsden ran, but Wallace's main opponent was state attorney general John Malcolm Patterson, who ran with the support of the Ku Klux Klan, an organization Wallace had spoken against. Wallace was endorsed by the NAACP. Wallace lost the nomination by over 34,400 votes.

After the election, aide Seymore Trammell recalled Wallace saying, "Seymore, you know why I lost that governor's race? ... I was outniggered by John Patterson. And I'll tell you here and now, I will never be outniggered again."

In the wake of his defeat, Wallace adopted a hard-line segregationist stance and used this stand to court the white vote in the next gubernatorial election in 1962. When a supporter asked why he started using racist messages, Wallace replied, "You know, I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about niggers, and they stomped the floor."

Then when he was term-limited he had his wife run for governor and then not do anything while everyone just accepted him still acting as governor.

Then time for him to get back in office:
Wallace aired television advertising with slogans such as "Do you want the black bloc electing your governor?" and circulated an ad showing a white girl surrounded by seven black boys, with the slogan "Wake Up Alabama! Blacks vow to take over Alabama."

Then in 1972 he suddenly came out against segregation, in favor of affirmative action and expanded civil rights.
In the late 1970s, Wallace announced that he was a born-again Christian and apologized to black civil rights leaders for his past actions as a segregationist. He said that while he had once sought power and glory, he realized he needed to seek love and forgiveness.

Though Jimmy Carter never trusted him:
But no one who knew Wallace well ever took seriously his earnest profession - uttered a thousand times after 1963 - that he [had been] a segregationist, not a racist. ... Wallace, like most white southerners of his generation, [had] genuinely believed blacks to be a separate, inferior race.

George Wallace was an epic asshole.

Let's put Kim Davis in jail with him.

MJPIA

It doesn't mention whether or not she denied a marriage license to him but the part about Kim having a gay friend is true.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/24/kim-davis-s-one-gay-friend-is-angry.html
Black said he’s known Davis his whole life—her first husband is even a distant cousin of his—but said he and Davis became close after she helped him with paperwork at the Rowan County clerk’s office after his mother’s died. While he said Davis wasn’t someone he “would get lunch with,” she would give him advice. Black even had her home phone number.
“Even after this all started, I went in a few days later and we spoke,” he said. “We talked about how each other were feeling, and how we’re gonna be friends even after all this.”

Now he said doesn’t recognize her.

“I really don’t know who Kim is at the moment. I really want to believe that he kind, sweet person who was there when my mom passed away is still there,” he said. “I was friends with Kim in the past, but I don’t know this woman I’ve been seeing.”
“I somewhat feel like she is taking this to an extreme, because she didn’t become a Christian until four years ago,” Black said of the “media fiasco” she created.

Black said he tolerates Davis’s views—even members of his own family don’t support same-sex marriage—but turning the town into a “backwoods” laughingstock is really upsetting.
Black said the town has changed a lot since he came out in 2002 when he faced a “backlash.” Now a local bookshop is printing shirts that read, “Small town does not mean small-minded.”

But if she came to him for support, Black says he would be there for her just like she was there for him in his time of need. “Morehead is like a big family, a big community,” he said.
This guy seems really laid back.

Paskil

Bunning refused to accomodate her yesterday. The circuit court tossed her appeal on a technicality since she hadn't first addressed the district. She will likely appeal again to the circuit court, with likely, the same result. I imagine the result would be the same if instead of appealing to SCOTUS after denial by a circuit panel, she asked for an en banc review.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Davis believes that her Christian beliefs trump her day-to-day responsibilities.

“My constituents elected me. But the main authority that rules my life is the Lord,” she said.
Is this that Sharia Law I keep hearing so much about?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Saw this on my local news' website. I laughed pretty hard.

Kim Davis blames governor for legal woes
The day the Supreme Court effectively legalized gay marriage in June, Beshear sent a letter to the state's 120 county clerks directing them to issue licenses. Davis on Thursday complained that in doing so he "commandeered" county clerk's offices and "usurped control of Kentucky marriage law."
The only ones dumber than this woman are her lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom