• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't, actually.

But now that you mention it, I don't know that I really want to know :/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Counsel
specializes in Christian Litigation
submitted an amicus curiae brief in support of a Texas statute that criminalized homosexual sodomy

See their giant STAND WITH KIM DAVIS banner at: https://www.lc.org/

Learn the latest news like:
The American Civil Liberty Union's motion to again hold Kim Davis in contempt reveals that their interest is not the license but rather a marriage license bearing the name of Kim Davis. They want her scalp to hang on the wall as a trophy.
Today is Constitution Day and it is also Kim Davis’s birthday!

Is this that Sharia Law I keep hearing so much about?
No, in that version Kim Davis would have to be covered up.

neshcom

Banned

Well everyone knows a Kentucky Democrat is a Yankee Republican
/s

Of all the attention-grabbing she's done, this seems the most unnecessary. The only interesting flip-flop is:

Davis also said she did not foresee a problem with the current marriage licenses being issued by her office in Morehead, Kentucky.

Man, she was the one going "buhhhh I don't think these'll be valid" in the first place.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
This is only tangentially related, but I was watching the coverage of the Pope in Philly tonight, and I was a little disgusted by this one couple that came onto the stage. They started off rather charmingly nervous, and it just seemed to be a nice engaged couple asking for a blessing or something, but they just had to go off on a little rant on how worried they were about the menace of the legal definition of marriage changing and what dire consequences it might have for their marriage. If they are so petty to be worried about what other people are allowed to get married, I wonder if their own marriage is really based on a steady foundation.

Aselith

This is only tangentially related, but I was watching the coverage of the Pope in Philly tonight, and I was a little disgusted by this one couple that came onto the stage. They started off rather charmingly nervous, and it just seemed to be a nice engaged couple asking for a blessing or something, but they just had to go off on a little rant on how worried they were about the menace of the legal definition of marriage changing and what dire consequences it might have for their marriage. If they are so petty to be worried about what other people are allowed to get married, I wonder if their own marriage is really based on a steady foundation.

Did they go into any more detail about what that would be?

Dai101

Banned

EBgtEi0.gif

If that meeting actually happened, you can best believe there would have been a media firestorm about it, not just Liberty Counsel being like, "Secret PS3 Game Papal Meeting, guys!"

Wilsongt

Not the first time her lawyer has lied:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/09/29/3706790/liberty-counsel-kim-davis-retraction/

At last week’s Values Voter Summit, Mat Staver of the Liberty Counsel displayed a picture that he claimed showed a 100,000-person prayer in Peru for his client, Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis. That picture has since been identified as having been uploaded to Facebook on May 25, 2014 and portraying a massive one-of-a-kind five-day convention known as “Jesús Te Ama Y Te Cambia” (“Jesus Loves You And Changes You”).

After spending Monday defending the photo, Liberty Counsel has admitted that it is not of a Kim Davis rally. In fact, they no longer claim that any rally whatsoever took place for Davis in Peru, but merely that some people in Peru prayed for her.

Nevertheless, the organization is trying to avoid taking responsibility for the photo, tweeting to ThinkProgress Tuesday morning that Peruvian Congressman Julio Rosas was the source of the photo and that they were just parroting his claim:

For a good, Christian organization, Liberty Counsel sure lies a lot.

Dalek

If this can be proven as a lie, could this lead to some sort of penalty, or can they just continue to make up shit?

Cyan

Banned
lols, that's hilarious. I'm totally telling Barack Obama about this when I meet up with him for drinks tomorrow.

Wilsongt

If this can be proven as a lie, could this lead to some sort of penalty, or can they just continue to make up shit?

Given today's Planned Parenthood hearing on Capitol Hill where the GOP member got his soul snatched out for using false data and having a shitty graph...

This is par for the course and nothing will happen.

Sanjuro

Maybe Boehner resigned because he walked in on them.

Maybe she just met with Boehner claiming to be the Pope...

...ohhhmyyygaaaadddd

MJPIA

Well she's already being compared to Abe Lincoln, Rosa Parks and MLK so why stop there?
The Liberty council links to an article from "inside the Vatican" who's website seems to be down but there's a cached version of their site here.
Any Catholics here know how big/trustworthy this site is?
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...015-kim-and-francis+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The meeting is a fact, and facts are the material of which reality is composed, and human beings, though they cannot, as T.S. Eliot said, bear very much reality, strive nevertheless to live in reality. And reality cannot be understood without knowledge of the facts. Of what really happened.
Am I the only one greatly confused by this?

There is no recording of this conversation, or photographs, as far as I know. But “there is not any thing secret that shall not be made manifest, nor hidden, that shall not be known and come to light.” (Luke 8:17)
Vatican sources have confirmed to me that this meeting did occur; the occurrence of this meeting is not in doubt.
It may have happened but there's no evidence and unless the pope himself comes out and confirms it I'm gonna say no.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Given today's Planned Parenthood hearing on Capitol Hill where the GOP member got his soul snatched out for using false data and having a shitty graph...

This is par for the course and nothing will happen.
Was there a thread for this?

cameron

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I guess we'll have to wait for confirmation one way or the other that the meeting occurred, but it would be consistent with the Pope's answer to an ABC journalist's question about conscientious objections:

Terry Moran, ABC News:
Holy Father, thank you, thank you very much and thank you to the Vatican staff as well. Holy Father, you visited the Little Sisters of the Poor and we were told that you wanted to show your support for them and their case in the courts. And, Holy Father, do you also support those individuals, including government officials, who say they cannot in good conscience, their own personal conscience, abide by some laws or discharge their duties as government officials, for example in issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples. Do you support those kinds of claims of religious liberty?

Pope Francis:
I can’t have in mind all cases that can exist about conscience objection. But, yes, I can say the conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right. And if a person does not allow others to be a conscientious objector, he denies a right. Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right. Otherwise we would end up in a situation where we select what is a right, saying 'this right that has merit, this one does not.' It (conscientious objection) is a human right. It always moved me when I read, and I read it many times, when I read the “Chanson de Roland” when the people were all in line and before them was the baptismal font and they had to choose between the baptismal font or the sword. They had to choose. They weren’t permitted conscientious objection. It is a right and if we want to make peace we have to respect all rights.

Terry Moran, ABC News:
Would that include government officials as well?

Pope Francis:
It is a human right and if a government official is a human person, he has that right. It is a human right.

(Here's a WaPo article related to the above response.)

I guess we'll have to wait for confirmation one way or the other that the meeting occurred, but it would be consistent with the Pope's answer to an ABC journalist's question about conscientious objections:

(Here's a WaPo article related to the above response.)

A far cry from supporting the notion that a government official doesn't have to do their job while remaining under the government's employ.

Sure, they have a right to 'conscientious objection', but their employer has the right to remove them from office if they can't do their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom