• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky Clerk denies same-sex couple marriage license for the third time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard and read about how "you don't have the right to keep other people from believing!" or that "all these people has are their believes, you don't have the right to take those away!"

Sorry, but when you find someone as delusional as this lady, is not your right to makes them realize how wrong they are, IT IS YOUR OBLIGATION. Believe all you want in Santa, the yeti, ufo, or whatever, but if those believes affect other's people lives, they you have to be bring to earth, kicking and screaming if necessary.

Well what most people fail to realize is when you take up employment with the government you become a state actor. This means that not only do you lose your own first amendment protection while on the clock, you're actually bound by the same restrictions that stop the big bad government from sticking its nose into religion.

So no, while you're a state actor you don't get religious freedom while you're on the clock because of the first amendment. After you go home? You can stand out on the street wearing a sandwich board saying "THE END IS NEAR!" and you couldn't be fired for that.

Man, that video of her this morning is something else.

The palpable hate in this woman - in her voice and in her eyes - is actually quite unsettling.

She reminds of...

snl%20church%20lady.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
When is this woman's term up? Sounds like the area she lives in, she could be easily re-elected, but when can someone try to run against her?

Loxley

I mean...this woman has to know she's lost this fight, right? Especially in light of the Supreme Court telling her to do her damn job. There's no way the couples are going to back down and it's not like the government is going to un-tell her to issue them marriage licenses because it's their constitutional right.

I just do not understand what her endgame is with this. Just hold out for as long as possible for the sake temporarily inconveniencing some gay couples? Then again, I guess I'm looking for logic where this is none to be found.

BFIB

"How dare you all judge me for my beliefs!" Yet judges others because of her beliefs.

You can't argue with this level of thinking.

Allard

When is this woman's term up? Sounds like the area she lives in, she could be easily re-elected, but when can someone try to run against her?

Not sure what the term is for this position but she was relected in 2014 given the voter results in that county in 2014. She had two others going against her, all democrats and it looks like she got like 58 percent of the vote or something :/.

I mean...this woman has to know she's lost this fight, right? Especially in light of the Supreme Court telling her to do her damn job. There's no way the couples are going to back down and it's not like the government is going to un-tell her to issue them marriage licenses because it's their constitutional right.

I just do not understand what her endgame is with this. Just hold out for as long as possible for the sake temporarily inconveniencing some gay couples? Then again, I guess I'm looking for logic where this is none to be found.

Hard to believe you lost when there are tons of people around you supporting you and sending "prayers" for these trying times.

Keep in mind that she's being represented by one of those idiotic Christian legal defense funds, so the legal advice she's getting is almost certainly terrible.

Primus

She sees this as martyring herself for her religion. That's her endgame.

Don't pay her. Levy a $100,000 daily fine with all proceeds to a LBGT group. She keeps up the fight at least the money will do some good.

I guess she can kiss that 1.5 million dollar surplus good-bye. What's it with red counties/states and running massive deficits and/or destroying surpluses?

"Pay back Caesar's things to Caesar, and God's things to God."

She's getting Caesar's money to go Caesar's job. If she cannot fulfill all the duties of the job, she needs to step down.

Yukiari

"Pay back Caesar's things to Caesar, and God's things to God."

She's getting Caesar's money to go Caesar's job. If she cannot fulfill all the duties of the job, she needs to step down.

You know that's not going to happen. I say lock her up and let her sit with her beliefs.

rpg_fan

She wants to be a martyr.

I'd say fine her, but I imagine there's already a GoFundMe account for her fines

If there's a GoFundMe, then the court can look at it same as we can. And the fines can increase just as much as the funding takes in. Besides, I think the site has policy against taking money from crimes. If she shows Thursday and refuses, it seems likely it'll be criminal contempt of court.

This just makes me so mad though. She took a government job, fully knowing that the US is built upon the separation of church and state. And she, by her belief alone, gets to change the constitution to allow whatever the hell this cunt feels like doing.

FyreWulff

" It is, however, a sincere effort to uphold what has always made America different from all other nations – the fact that our rights come from God and those rights cannot be abridged by any force, nor by any power nor by any manipulation on earth."

Gonna have to take it up with all of those theocracies that literally say their power comes from God, versus the US where a Founding Father made it official that the US is not a Christian-based nation.

LosDaddie

Banned
If there's a GoFundMe, then the court can look at it same as we can. And the fines can increase just as much as the funding takes in. Besides, I think the site has policy against taking money from crimes. If she shows Thursday and refuses, it seems likely it'll be criminal contempt of court.

This just makes me so mad though. She took a government job, fully knowing that the US is built upon the separation of church and state. And she, by her belief alone, gets to change the constitution to allow whatever the hell this cunt feels like doing.

I'm going to bet her definition of "separation of church and state" is different than yours.

Don't let this get you mad. Kicking & screaming is part of progress.

Par Score

She wants to be a martyr.

I'd say fine her, but I imagine there's already a GoFundMe account for her fines

Fines can be increased to take account of this kind of thing.

Plus all of the big reputable crowd funding sites disallow funding for criminal acts.

Then there's Son of Sam laws, though I don't know if Kentucky has those on the books.

Astral Dog

The audacity of this lady.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...marriage-licenses-after-supreme-court-ruling/

I don't want to see her try to martyr herself. She should not be jailed, yet. I hope the judge levies $20,000 fine per day that licenses aren't issued. Levy an increased fine on the state, to ensure that the legislature takes action to remove her from office.

Money is the only thing that sings to these people.

well then, there is nothing left to do the big boss has given orders, no gay marriage on Kentucky.

cameron

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Might be a loaded question but... What's your take Meta? You might have posted it already and I missed it.

I mentioned it earlier, but I don't think she can win, and I don't think she should. If she were merely fighting for the right to excuse herself personally from the process of issuing licenses, passing that responsibility to someone else in the office, then she'd have an argument. But she's trying to shut down the entire licensing process in her county based on her personal beliefs, and I don't see how that can be right.

The tax payers should sue her for the salary she is taking but not performing, in addition to all the money they're about to be out because she can't do her job.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
She doesn't work, and she's paid $80,000 a year by the government...

She's the countries highest paid welfare recipient.

Meier

I've shared this here before, but it's even more appropriate in the light of this women and her history of divorce which is conveniently wiped away with a story of having found faith later in life.

My brother wrote this a few years ago when things were very different, but the general tenor of it will unfortunately remain very true for quite awhile and the overall concept of gay marriage somehow affecting the "sanctity" of it when this woman's story is so prevalent makes that concept even more farcical:

http://avidly.lareviewofbooks.org/2012/11/05/major-doma/

Dead Man

Good. She will never recognise that the conflict she has needs to be resolved by not being part of the government.
Edit: didn't see the new thread, sorry.

Astral Dog

she says its a heaven or hell issue, serious business.beyond gay marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom