• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky Clerk denies same-sex couple marriage license for the third time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

The audacity of this lady.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...marriage-licenses-after-supreme-court-ruling/

Davis did not make an appearance at the counter as the courthouse opened, leaving employees to deny couples on her behalf. A woman at counter said Davis was “doing reports.”

When Davis emerged, she declared that she was not issuing any licences.

“Under whose authority?” she was asked.

“Under God’s authority,” she said.

I don't want to see her try to martyr herself. She should not be jailed, yet. I hope the judge levies $20,000 fine per day that licenses aren't issued. Levy an increased fine on the state, to ensure that the legislature takes action to remove her from office.

Money is the only thing that sings to these people.
How the hell is she not fired already? A disgrace.

"God's Authority" lol

Last time I checked, she wasn't working for the church, but for the state.
I have a feeling she will ride this all the way to contempt charges.
Do your job, or hold that L.

OSHAN

CN0S0o8WgAAWE3-.jpg

I wonder why that dude is flexing.

Herbs

Banned
Wow. I can't imagine why she's been divorced so many times especially after this display of pig-headed hatred.

Opiate

Yet another bigot who has convinced themselves they are the good guy, fighting back against the forces of darkness slowly creeping over the land.

Opiate

She is going to get so much money after all this.

Which only further convince her that she is the hero of the story.

One of my great frustrations with situations like this is that the persons in question rarely realize the error of their ways or feel guilt or are punished for the wickedness of whatever karma you believe in. In stark contrast, not only do they not feel guilty, most are convinced they are the good guys (in this case, she is doing God's will).

This woman will learn nothing. She will believe she's the virtuous one being tread on by sinful forces, but whose heroic stand has brought her financial reward. That will be the lesson.

blackjaw

Don't worry guys, she'll be fired.

Then have a nice gofundme page setup to help her "transition" between jobs before she gets ultimately lands a job as a clerk at some ultra conservative business where she will forever be praised as a "crusader".

Disgusting person...just hope karma finds a way to come back at her...wonder how she would like to be denied a basic human right

Wilsongt

One of my great frustrations with situations like this is that the persons in question rarely realize the error of their ways or feel guilt or are punished for the wickedness of whatever karma you believe in. In stark contrast, not only do they not feel guilty, most are convinced they are the good guys (in this case, she is doing God's will).

This woman will learn nothing. She will believe she's the virtuous one being tread on by sinful forces, but whose heroic stand has brought her financial reward. That will be the lesson.

Pretty much, as it has been proven time and time again by the Christian right. They do something like this, get called on it, cry foul, and people are more than willing to open their purses and throw money down the toilet because they, too, feel they are fighting a holy and righteous cause.

Unsatisfying tag quote. But hopefully before she passes, once one of her kids or family members reveals themselves to be 'one of them', she might experience a moment of clarity.

The audacity of this lady.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...marriage-licenses-after-supreme-court-ruling/

I don't want to see her try to martyr herself. She should not be jailed, yet. I hope the judge levies $20,000 fine per day that licenses aren't issued. Levy an increased fine on the state, to ensure that the legislature takes action to remove her from office.

Money is the only thing that sings to these people.
The video is truly infuriating: https://twitter.com/HillaryWKYT/status/638687018835423232

More here: https://twitter.com/HillaryWKYT/with_replies

Brannon

If she gets fined per day of not issuing licenses, will the fines outpace her gofundme-type income? Because that would be interesting.

It seems that arresting her for contempt would give her exactly what she wants. Unfortunately that seems the only way to remove her from office and end this. Considering her location, I would guess she would win reelection. Let's not make this person into a martyr, please, she doesn't deserve that credit.

DrArchon

She knows exactly what she wants and the way I see it she wins either way. Either she stays and continues denying licenses or she becomes a martyr for bigoted Christians and ends up with a nice gofundme campaign or a job with powerful sympathizer.

Between her and those wedding cake bakers, more and more people are getting convinced that Christianity really is under attack. Could pump up people for future elections, which really scares me.

It's frustrating, I agree. That said, even if this is true she will continue to live a life of fear and hatred. She will view her country as a hell hole and will view her existence here on earth as miserable and sin filled. She won't experience love, or the joy of loving others.

I don't think she has an enviable life in anyway. She has created her own hell to live in.

Diablos

She knows exactly what she wants and the way I see it she wins either way. Either she stays and continues denying licenses or she becomes a martyr for bigoted Christians and ends up with a nice gofundme campaign or a job with powerful sympathizer.

Between her and those wedding cake bakers, more and more people are getting convinced that Christianity really is under attack. Could pump up people for future elections, which really scares me.
All 71% of them!

She is going to get so much money after all this.

Yep. Probably a free cake too

edit: kinda beaten

In all honesty fundamentalist Christians are well-organized and they definitely feel threatened right now. Good times ahead

Yep. And now your username has big-time relevance

Herbs

Banned
Sigh. Kicking and screaming folks, kicking and screaming.

Don't even need to go through the kicking and screaming, really. Just leave her at the side of the road and keep on walking. In all likelihood, time and distance will make sure she's dead and irrelevant at some point.

Anyone tell her that divorce is a pretty big sin as well?

Of course she is cherry-picking out of the bible (never seen that before!) but I also feel like she's under pressure from her community. It's a toxic environment. The bible was bound to conflict with the changing times. This is a necessary encounter here. The worrying part is how they are going to retaliate when they are forced to comply. I suppose it's a non-issue, and we will simply watch neanderthals fade away as the real world becomes established

It's so funny that Religious freedom is more important than anyone else's freedoms

They are taught from an early age that they will burn in hell if they accept the evils that the supreme court is pushing on them right now. This is the ugly side of their religion finally being taken to task. And many of them think this is the book of Revelations, the End Times, manifesting today. It's as radical as extremist muslims, without the violence

Razmos

It's so funny that Religious freedom is more important than anyone else's freedoms.

Those poor Christians being discriminated against, I hope they get the support they deserve.
Do we have a Christian Pride month yet? maybe give them protected status so that all the meanies will stop bullying them.

BigDes

Of course she is cherry-picking out of the bible (never seen that before!) but I also feel like she's under pressure from her community. It's a toxic environment. The bible was bound to conflict with the changing times. This is a necessary encounter here. The worrying part is how they are going to retaliate when they are forced to comply. I suppose it's a non-issue, and we will simply watch neanderthals fade away as the real world becomes established

Next stage will be that the office will issue a license but good look getting in when they picket the place.

This woman is a piece of shit, but it's also annoying how nothing is being done because she's a Christian. If she were any other religion, or not religious, they'd have been fired a long time ago.

This woman is a piece of shit, but it's also annoying how nothing is being done because she's a Christian. If she were any other religion, or not religious, they'd have been fired a long time ago.

They can't fire her, she's an elected official. She can be impeached but given that she has political supporters in their government I guess that point is moot.

Josh5890

This woman is making good Christian look bad. I am for the right to protect religious beliefs but she is an employee of the state and is required to follow the law. If she doesn't like the law then just resign. She exhausted her legal options so there is no where else for her to turn to.

I'm usually against harsh punishment but I want to see severe federal charges brought against her and the ever living shit sued out of whatever fund the evangelical fucktards set up for her.

do not let her get a book deal, all money she makes from interviews should be garnished.

thefro

Aren't there other clerks that work there who can issue the license?

The clerk is an elected official in this case who's responsible for the entire County Clerk's office. Having a deputy clerk sign the license probably wouldn't get her out of her perceived dilemma.

They can't fire her, she's an elected official. She can be impeached but given that she has political supporters in their government I guess that point is moot.

She'll probably get held in contempt of court and thrown in jail fairly soon.

Does Obama have authority to have her arrested? I want to see him make history and arrest this lunatic evangelical.

the federal government needs to do it's job and enforce the ruling made this summer. not next year. NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom