• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of clerk denying same-sex marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at least these people will get some money out of the event.

Anyhow, she has to know she is going to lose...right? Nobody can be that stupid to believe your run of the mill court is going to go against the supreme court.

Nephtis

Uhhhh....really? Seems like it would be a tiny, tiny, minority of atheists.

Yes. There's plenty of them.

People who have religious background may find common ground in their disapproval of gay marriage, but it isn't something exclusive to the religious folk.

I am a Christian and I wholeheartedly support gay marriage.

Those people denying that couple their marriage are clearly going against the law and I hope they get crushed in that lawsuit.

So, for people that are specifically calling Christians "dumb" or that only Christians are the ones that are denying gay people of their right to happiness, you can kindly fuck right off.

There's plenty of Atheists, Muslim, Catholics, Jews that all oppose gay marriage. And those people will simply be on the wrong side of history.

In the context of the United states the anti gay movement is inextricably linked to Christianity. And to be fair it's not like you get to define what's the true form of the religion either.

Oh and where did anyone ever say Christians were the only homophobic people?

Nephtis

In the context of the United states the anti gay movement is inextricably linked to Christianity. And to be fair it's not like you get to define what's the true form of the religion either.

The majority of those against it are Christian, yes, but it doesn't make it an exclusively Christian movement.

People who assume Atheists* aren't going to be against gay marriage are naive at best.

Or any other religion

Thaedolus

Nah they exist, part time homophobes. Deep inside I don't think they care but social and peer pressure amongst lower class usually breeds homophobia (I'm mainly talking UK here, might be different in the states ...) I can't imagine too many atheist chavs (all of them are atheist ..) are pro gay.

Yes. There's plenty of them.

People who have religious background may find common ground in their disapproval of gay marriage, but it isn't something exclusive to the religious folk.

I mean, yeah I'm sure it exists, but I'm just guessing there's a largely negative correlation between the two positions.

There's plenty of Atheists, Muslim, Catholics, Jews that all oppose gay marriage. And those people will simply be on the wrong side of history.
I don't want to speak for a whole group of people with no real binding belief....but I don't have a single Atheist friend opposed to gay marriage. But again---I can't speak for the whole group. But I'm sure the number is much smaller compared to, let's say, Christians. After all, we don't have a unifying book that preaches against homosexuality.
OKay. Well. Fuck these people.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
You don't know what love means. But you're not going to post hate about these people in any form and not get called out for it. You don't get to do that, you're not amongst a crowd amenable to that sort of hate. We've established you have no idea what love means, and you continue to use Biblical scripture to shield yourself from the criticism. How about you drop the morality crusade from that book and try to make an argument without it about why you should be allowed to hate freely these people? You don't even have to want to make laws about it. Why do you believe you're allowed to treat other human beings as if they are not acceptable for being who they were born to be with fellow consenting adults?

Since my original response to this post has gone missing, here's a substantive reply: you accuse me of redefining words, but it is you who is redefining both "love" and "hate." You use the terms primarily for their connotations, since their denotations would have served you so poorly in this case. In your view, "love" does not bear any meaning found in a dictionary, but means instead "moral approval" (a phrase that is less cumbersome than my previously used endorsement-acceptance-agreement one, and which more accurately reflects your position, I think). Likewise, "hate" does not have a meaning familiar to those whose job it is to catalog words and their meanings, but means "moral disapproval" (or, perhaps, "anything short of moral approval").

Talk about loaded terms! Stripped of the emotional baggage with which you seek to ennoble your questions with, they become, in effect, the following question: "Who are you to disagree with my moral beliefs?" That question is woefully out-of-place in our pluralistic society, a fact to which your own conduct in this thread bears witness: you reject the Bible as a moral guide to human sexuality and the teachings of Christianity as reflecting morality. Your redefinition would regard your own beliefs as hatred of Christianity, when it's merely a disagreement over moral facts.

Finally, you complain about my use of the Bible in formulating my argument--but my argument is that Christianity teaches Christians to love everyone. How else do you propose I make that case but with reference to the Christian Bible? Envelope is right--you're raising arguments against statements you wish I had made, and not engaging with my actual argument.

And damn, you talk about gays not being able to love.

Literally nobody other than you has talked about that in this thread. I mean, I explained how you were wrong to think anybody had, but other than that, it's been all you. And there's no reason a person cannot be said to love a person--or many persons--he or she has never met. Even in its most reductionist form, the requirement for such love could be interpreted as a requirement to love each member of a group once that member is actually encountered.

Imagine it this way. Imagine a person who cannot hear, and imagine a religion advocating against the use of sign language. Imagine we trot out the "we love the deaf, just not the action of sign language!"

While I agree with Amir0x that this is a good analogy, I don't see how this advances the discussion--it just changes the context. We're still left with the question of whether moral approval is a necessary component of love. Is the person who believes that sign language is immoral simply incapable of loving the deaf person who communicates using sign language? I see no reason to think so, and aside from an attempt to berate me into agreement, no one has yet attempted to provide one.

Already read them. If you don't want to deal with this you probably shouldn't muck up the discussion with it in the first place. Not to mention that I don't believe that you don't want to talk about it because you feel the need to keep discussing it. You've had ample opportunity to ignore every comment about it and yet here you keep coming into the weeds to clarify...

Had you read them before you commented, you'd have seen that I already covered the Christian teaching that all men are sinners. When I say, "the weeds," I mean barely-relevant issues of only secondary (or lower) significance. Pointing out that Christianity teaches Christians to love really shouldn't be taken as an invitation to interrogate me on any issue relating to Christian theology.

Had you read them before you commented, you'd have seen that I already covered the Christian teaching that all men are sinners. When I say, "the weeds," I mean barely-relevant issues of only secondary (or lower) significance. Pointing out that Christianity teaches Christians to love really shouldn't be taken as an invitation to interrogate me on any issue relating to Christian theology.

I did read them before I quoted you. I actually read the entire thread before I participated.

Yet here you are heading right back into the weeds that you don't want to go into... I said that you were incorrect in saying that sinning was an action. If what you said has somehow eluded you then check post #177 the one that I quoted and you wrote. If sin is our default state that we are born into it requires no action to be a sinner. That is the claim I refuted, which you have managed to gloss over every time you come back to the weeds that you don't want to be in...

If you don't want to talk about it then stop talking about it. It's certainly not rocket science. No one has a gun to your head forcing you to continue posting about it.

America has freedom of belief right? I don't know why she thinks her beliefs are before law

also a true christian would not do what this woman did, as the message of Christ was a plead for forgiveness to those that were executing him. Dunno how you twist that good guy into a faith where you persecute those who don't think alike.

QLULIha.png

Woooow.

Anyways, hope she never has a job dealing with the general public again.

Indeed, that last part was an Oregon Trail reference? I want it to be an Oregon Trail reference.

Metaphoreus

Yet here you are heading right back into the weeds that you don't want to go into... I said that you were incorrect in saying that sinning was an action. If what you said has somehow eluded you then check post #177 the one that I quoted and you wrote. If sin is our default state that we are born into it requires no action to be a sinner. That is the claim I refuted, which you have managed to gloss over every time you come back to the weeds that you don't want to be in...

I didn't gloss over anything; I responded to this. "The weeds," here, are to what extent "original sin" means we are born as sinners already subject to punishment--a position not every Christian accepts. But whatever we mean by "original sin," the term does not refer to being born gay. So it isn't relevant to the current discussion. Hence, it's "the weeds."

I didn't gloss over anything; I responded to this. "The weeds," here, are to what extent "original sin" means we are born as sinners already subject to punishment--a position not every Christian accepts. But whatever we mean by "original sin," the term does not refer to being born gay. So it isn't relevant to the current discussion. Hence, it's "the weeds."

If you keep discussing it then it's relevant to the current discussion as literally what you or we are talking about is the current discussion. It may not be very relevant to the topic of the thread, but hey you started the path into the weeds. Then kept forging ahead no matter you not wanting to be there.

So the only way you can reconcile sin being an action(your statement in post 177) with what the bible says about sin is by not accepting that part. Not exactly a convincing answer, but also not exactly an unexpected or uncommon answer either. I think that most would agree that just rejecting things which conflict with what you believe is certainly glossing over the answer.

I never meant to conflate being gay with original sin. That's all you buddy.

Speevy

Banned
America has freedom of belief right? I don't know why she thinks her beliefs are before law

also a true christian would not do what this woman did, as the message of Christ was a plead for forgiveness to those that were executing him. Dunno how you twist that good guy into a faith where you persecute those who don't think alike.

A true Christian would embrace all marrying gays for having the courage to begin loving, responsible unions while heterosexuals have utterly undermined the institution with all their divorces and infidelity.

While I agree with Amir0x that this is a good analogy, I don't see how this advances the discussion--it just changes the context. We're still left with the question of whether moral approval is a necessary component of love. Is the person who believes that sign language is immoral simply incapable of loving the deaf person who communicates using sign language? I see no reason to think so, and aside from an attempt to berate me into agreement, no one has yet attempted to provide one.

Okay, so the question is this; Is moral approval a necessary component of love?
My answer: it depends on the context.

Love as a word can have a fairly broad meaning, so I only want to advance one idea. That an interest in advancing that person's well being is a part of it.

A gay man who is told he should never experience the same kind of thing that heterosexual individuals do when they pursue and engage in relationships is not having compassion and an interest in his well being extended to him. This has to do with the fact that his sexuality is an immutable trait, and our sexualities are an integral aspect of our life.

This is in stark contrast to other types of behaviors, like stealing, which is something that can be changed since kleptomania or generalized burglary is not part of the human condition.

If you disagree why don't you set forth what you believe the components of love are so that we are talking about concrete specific things instead of a word whose meaning might be quite different from person to person.

Metaphoreus

So the only way you can reconcile sin being an action(your statement in post 177) with what the bible says about sin is by not accepting that part. Not exactly a convincing answer, but also not exactly an unexpected or uncommon answer either. I think that most would agree that just rejecting things which conflict with what you believe is certainly glossing over the answer.

I never meant to conflate being gay with original sin. That's all you buddy.

The only way your comment is relevant is if you conflate original sin with being born gay. If you don't (and you shouldn't), then the doctrine has nothing to do with the topic at hand or the ongoing discussion, however interesting a part of Christianity you may consider it. (Not to mention that, to the extent you believe original sin imputes guilt to all, that doesn't change the fact that only actions are sins--it just expands the number of people whose actions count as guilt-imputing sin for any given person.)

Okay, so the question is this; Is moral approval a necessary component of love?
My answer: it depends on the context.

Love as a word can have a fairly broad meaning, so I only want to advance one idea. That an interest in advancing that person's well being is a part of it.

A gay man who is told he should never experience the same kind of thing that heterosexual individuals do when they pursue and engage in relationships is not having compassion and an interest in his well being extended to him. This has to do with the fact that his sexuality is an immutable trait, and our sexualities are an integral aspect of our life.

This is in stark contrast to other types of behaviors, like stealing, which is something that can be changed since kleptomania or generalized burglary is not part of the human condition.

If you disagree why don't you set forth what you believe the components of love are so that we are talking about concrete specific things instead of a word whose meaning might be quite different from person to person.

No, I actually agree with you that an interest in advancing the well-being of a person is an important part of love. But that doesn't really resolve the question; it merely raises a new one: what advances the well-being of a person? For the Christian, following God's commandments advances a person's well-being, even when doing so is hard or unpleasant, and even when the person has completely different beliefs about what advances his or her own well-being. This is probably as far as this argument can be taken in the current context, since to accept or reject that idea basically entails accepting or rejecting the truth of Christian teachings in general--a far larger topic than this thread can cover.

The only way your comment is relevant is if you conflate original sin with being born gay. If you don't (and you shouldn't), then the doctrine has nothing to do with the topic at hand or the ongoing discussion, however interesting a part of Christianity you may consider it. (Not to mention that, to the extent you believe original sin imputes guilt to all, that doesn't change the fact that only actions are sins--it just expands the number of people whose actions count as guilt-imputing sin for any given person.)

No, I actually agree with you that an interest in advancing the well-being of a person is an important part of love. But that doesn't really resolve the question; it merely raises a new one: what advances the well-being of a person? For the Christian, following God's commandments advances a person's well-being, even when doing so is hard or unpleasant, and even when the person has completely different beliefs about what advances his or her own well-being. This is probably as far as this argument can be taken in the current context, since to accept or reject that idea basically entails accepting or rejecting the truth of Christian teachings in general--a far larger topic than this thread can cover.

It has everything to do with your statement that sin requires an action. If people(I'm not even limiting the pool to gay people like you) are sinners from birth then sin requires no action on their part. Meaning post 177 was wrong.

That is no fact. That is the interpretation of the bible that you like to have. A view that you can only have by ignoring what the bible says about sin.

Kinthalis

Banned
LOL! @ the christians in this thread, seriously trying to disown the hateful bigotry a significant numebr of their fellow believers in this country engage in -- by attempting to smear atheists 'cause a few lunatics.

Hilarious and sad. I mean, you're half way there - you realize this shit is idiotic and hateful, but instead of taking an introspective look you start pointing fingers, in probably one of the most ridiculous attempts at equating two things that are not even remotely comparable.

boiled goose

good with gravy
LOL! @ the christians in this thread, seriously trying to disown the hateful bigotry a significant numebr of their fellow believers in this country engage in -- by attempting to smear atheists 'cause a few lunatics.

Hilarious and sad. I mean, you're half way there - you realize this shit is idiotic and hateful, but instead of taking an introspective look you start pointing fingers, in probably one of the most ridiculous attempts at equating two things that are not even remotely comparable.

Yup. Christians can back their beliefs with Scripture.

Not believing in a deity does not lead to anything regarding gay marriage.

Arkeband

Banned
Considering that Facebook page is associated with/ following 'Ex-Minister', I'm assuming a chunk of the people there are just people who lost their faith but kept all of their prejudices.

There's really no logical reason an atheist would be against gay marriage - and if they were its no less correlated than people with a certain hair or eye color, there's nothing inherent about atheism that would influence that opinion one way or another.

It's like an Atheists against Ketchup page. Zero sense.

Gradon

There's really no logical reason an atheist would be against gay marriage - and if they were its no less correlated than people with a certain hair or eye color, there's nothing inherent about atheism that would influence that opinion one way or another.

Some people just don't like us and don't want us to have happiness.
As mentioned above, in the UK 'chavs' would happily vote against gay marriage because "eww gay people."

-duskdoll-

Considering that Facebook page is associated with/ following 'Ex-Minister', I'm assuming a chunk of the people there are just people who lost their faith but kept all of their prejudices.

It's like an Atheists against Ketchup page. Zero sense.

Most religious people oppose gay marriage because it's a sin according to their holy book/text. When Atheists do it it's because they themselves find it wrong.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You live in Morehead, Kentucky lady. Whether you like it or not.

*chuckle*

TalonJH said:
I live in Kentucky but in a larger city. I overheard my boss talking with another person about how some of the rural areas are having problems finding people at every office to issue the licences and how shes happy about people standing up for their beliefs. I've already had augment with her recently about her defending Donald Trump.

(Full disclosure: She is the boss of that office. I am directly under a corporate office.)

If I didn't have to live in Kentucky, I'd say "sign me up, I'll do what this bigoted women wouldn't do."

I should probably get ordained to unofficially do this, I guess.

Arkeband

Banned
Most religious people oppose gay marriage because it's a sin according to their holy book/text. When Atheists do it it's because they themselves find it wrong.

So... again, atheism has nothing to do with that, they're just shitty human beings.

There's a false comparison going on here against atheism.

Being an atheist just means you don't believe in gods. It doesn't imply anything else.

However, I think do think that being a Christian or Jew does mean that you can't support homosexuality. It is explicitly forbidden as an abomination to their gods. It's part of the reason I stopped being a Christian.

In high school, I wrote an editorial about what the Bible says about homosexuality and tried to put a loving spin on it by pointing out that we are all sinners and that most heterosexuals do engage in sexual impropriety as well. I was attending a congregation that was very much into holiness culture and I genuinely thought I was acting in love by sharing biblical principles. I didn't feel hate towards homosexuals and I felt compassion and love, but these were internal ideas in my own brain. Just like the love I felt for/from an imagined deity. The true measure of love is how we treat each other.

batbeg

Good move on the governor though I'd frankly be happier hearing about more direct action. "Resign from your job" doesn't sound as intimidating as "Lose your job".

BowieZ

Banned
Being an atheist just means you don't believe in gods. It doesn't imply anything else.

However, I think do think that being a Christian or Jew does mean that you can't support homosexuality. It is explicitly forbidden as an abomination to their gods. It's part of the reason I stopped being a Christian.
Nah. It's not explicit. At best, it's been ambiguously translated from Ancient Hebrew into Greek and into English. On top of that, with any addition of historical context, or modern day concession, it's a non-issue.

A true Christian would embrace all marrying gays for having the courage to begin loving, responsible unions while heterosexuals have utterly undermined the institution with all their divorces and infidelity.

This is an interesting point. I guess soon we'll have more data on divorce on gay marriages. I'm thinking it won't be too different from straight marriages though.

HylianTom

Banned
Huffington Post ran a piece yesterday that there are still around 20 holdout counties around the country, mostly in Kentucky, Alabama, Texas, and Nebraska where gay people are not getting married at this time due to the county staff refusing or not complying at this time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/same-sex-marriage-not-allowed_559e9669e4b05b1d028fd3d9
I'm going to be veeerrrry interested in seeing if any of the lawsuits around these holdouts go very far. You could reasonably guess that lower courts know which way Kennedy will swing if a case were to get that far, and that they'd rule accordingly..

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
Glad the governor recognized this. Even better if he personally sees to it that those two get their license, if they haven't already.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I never had a chance to watch the original video. I cannot believe that the couple was told that the clerk didn't have to grant them a marriage license because "she has her rights as a Christian." Do these people not know of the separation of church and state? I hope they all get fired. Check your religious beliefs at the door when you go to work for the government and do your job.

Paskil

I'm going to be veeerrrry interested in seeing if any of the lawsuits around these holdouts go very far. You could reasonably guess that lower courts know which way Kennedy will swing if a case were to get that far, and that they'd rule accordingly..

I think some people are jumping the gun on suing in federal court. Granted, the decision is basically final, as already shown by the 5th Circuits general order to the lower courts in Texas, Mississippi, and Louisiana, but I think the clerks/judges are technically within their rights to withhold licenses until the official order comes from SCOTUS. Granted, I haven't heard a peep of whether Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, or Ohio is even asking the court to reconsider, prior to the window expiring.

Also, I forgot to say in the other thread when you announced, congrats on getting married! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom