• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Bacon Expresses Interest in Playing Freddy Krueger

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3403009/kevin-bacon-expresses-interest-playing-freddy-krueger/

Most of the big horror franchises are on the fast track to get brand spankin’ new reboots in the coming years, including Friday the 13th, Predator, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween. But what about Nightmare on Elm Street? The franchise has been dead ever since that awful 2010 remake, and six years later, it doesn’t seem to be showing many signs of life.

Back in August of last year, it was reported that New Line was rebooting the Elm Street franchise once more, with David Leslie Johnson (Orphan, The Conjuring 2) attached to pen the screenplay, but we haven’t heard a peep about the project since then. Is it still happening? Did those plans fall through at some point in the past year? At the moment, it’s impossible to tell.

This latest Elm Street tidbit, well, it comes from an unlikely source.

Over on Twitter this past Friday night, a fan posted a tweet that expressed interest in Kevin Bacon playing Freddy Krueger in a future reboot of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, and much to her surprise – and ours – Bacon actually responded to the tweet. Not only did he respond but he quoted the tweet on his own profile, and he seemed to express interest in the idea.

“If A Nightmare on Elm Street gets rebooted again can we please somehow get Kevin Bacon as Freddy? I think he’d be fantastic,” tweeted @BettieToxic.

“I like the way you think Bettie,” replied @KevinBacon.

latest

If the writing and driection were good, he could do a lot of great and terrifying things as Freddie Krueger

Matty77

No. I love NOES and I really like Bacon, but no.

I'm of the opinon you can remake,reboot, new sequel faceless killers all you want but Robert Englund is Freddy. He made that character and his potrayal is what put it on the map and why there were so many sequels and spin offs.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well, they are rebooting it again, so...I think he'd be a legit great, and very unexpected choice.

Matty77

Well, they are rebooting it again, so...I think he'd be a legit great, and very unexpected choice.
I know, I just would like to keep actors I like away from something that will probably fail. Not because it's a reboot but because the only reason the series is not a two film footnote in history with one imaginative Wes Craven classic and a horrible sequel that's only interesting when seen with full focus on its homosexual subtext.

Everything in that franchise beyond the first film, especially stuff like the televison show was pretty trash, except people loved Freddy based solely on Englunds performance and each new thing with him in it became the Robert Englund as Freddy Kreuger show.

I don't think that can be replicated.

Ridley327

Anyone would be better than Jackie Earl Harleys uninspired performance.

From what little I've seen of the remake, which was already too much, it seemed like every aspect of it was poorly directed. I'd hate to put it all on Haley's feet, who is generally quite convincing in other roles of a similar nature.

Rooney Mara is frequently good-to-great, and what I saw of her in this film was barely keeping pace with Heather Lagenkamp in the original, which shouldn't be a high bar to clear.

The_Kid

No. Englund gives the movies that campy feel. Without it we get that remake nightmare. I don't know if Bacon really has that, especially after The Following. *shudder*

Jerm411

This would be a good exercise though to see who could actually pull the role off....I'm racking my brain lol.......

Not against the idea but you know, I would prefer sequels to It Follows, The Guest and The Cabin in the Woods over rebooting horror franchises that already have a shit ton of entries.

Ridley327

Of course. I could see a fried up Bacon doing great as Freddy, but it wouldn't be the same nor better, so there's no point.

There's always a case to be made for reinterpretation. I wouldn't want to Bacon to just ape Englund, and I doubt Englund would want Bacon to do that, either.

I had a dream about a Freddy reboot. Englund Freddy is killing teens and stuff but then some real creep is murdered in a traumatic way like Freddy and makes the same deal with the demon worms. So its like Creed or The Force Awakens with old Freddy helping the new guy but then they fight and stuff because they dont like each other much.

Call it "Freddies: Nightmares on Elm Streets"

It was a terrible dream and horrible idea, but Hollywood has done worse so make it yo!

I had a dream about a Freddy reboot. Englund Freddy is killing teens and stuff but then some real creep is murdered in a traumatic way like Freddy and makes the same deal with the demon worms. So its like Creed or The Force Awakens with old Freddy helping the new guy but then they fight and stuff because they dont like each other much.

Call it "Freddies: Nightmares on Elm Streets"

It was a terrible dream and horrible idea, but Hollywood has done worse so make it yo!

That was no dream...

VSvva1W.gif

adj_noun

I have two requirements for anyone wanting to play Freddy:

1) A great laugh

2) The ability to portray sadistic glee while stalking his victims; Freddy absolutely loves what he does, even pre-goofball (tormenting Tina in the first film springs to mind).

norm9

I dunno. That Friday the 13th reboot had a different Jason, and he was cool, but not as cool as the dude that had been Jason the four or five times before.

Seems like a recipe for disaster. Even when they tried to be dark in the Noes reboot, they tried make Freddy sympathetic.

Not against the idea but you know, I would prefer sequels to It Follows, The Guest and The Cabin in the Woods over rebooting horror franchises that already have a shit ton of entries.

Sequels to any of those would ruin the magic retroactively.

adj_noun

I dunno. That Friday the 13th reboot had a different Jason, and he was cool, but not as cool as the dude that had been Jason the four or five times before.

At least they're using Kane Hodder for motion capture in that Friday the 13th game they're making. Really no other choice there.

I saw an interview with him a while back, and they asked him who he'd want to play if he had a choice. Number two was a shot at Michael Meyers, but number one was, naturally, one last shot at the hockey mask.

I wonder why they didn't use him for Freddy vs Jason.

Savitar

The last guy who played Freddy did a superb job.

The problem is no one is ever going to be happy it's not the original actor. That and everyone has kind of seen it all before so no matter how good the film could be it will be "more of the same" to most.

Ridley327

At least they're using Kane Hodder for motion capture in that Friday the 13th game they're making. Really no other choice there.

I saw an interview with him a while back, and they asked him who he'd want to play if he had a choice. Number two was a shot at Michael Meyers, but number one was, naturally, one last shot at the hockey mask.

I wonder why they didn't use him for Freddy vs Jason.

Apparently, it was just as simple as the director wanting someone just a bit taller for Jason to sell the size difference between the two characters. Personally, I don't think Ken Kirzinger did a bad job at all in that film, but I'm sure fans would have loved to have both Hodder and Englund on the same screen together as their most famous characters.

Dabanton

There is a lot of fun you could have with a remake. You could really fuck with the audience.

I want a NOES closer to the tone of New Nightmare, which was pretty terrifying.

norm9

Apparently, it was just as simple as the director wanting someone just a bit taller for Jason to sell the size difference between the two characters.

That's crazy. Some actors just embody these characters and it's impossible to separate them. Changing it up isn't a recipe for success. KieFer in mgsv was disappointing.

There is a lot of fun you could have with a remake. You could really fuck with the audience.

I want a NOES closer to the tone of New Nightmare, which was pretty terrifying.

New Nightmare was fantastic. Real postmodern cinema.

Matty77

Apparently, it was just as simple as the director wanting someone just a bit taller for Jason to sell the size difference between the two characters. Personally, I don't think Ken Kirzinger did a bad job at all in that film, but I'm sure fans would have loved to have both Hodder and Englund on the same screen together as their most famous characters.
I liked Kirzinger a lot. I also think some of it though was Hodder's feelings of character ownership. On one hand he kept the dream alive for years on the convention circuit with fans and that should never be forgotten, he gave a shit when no one else did. On the other hand if you listen to the commentary on Jason X I guess it got to the point he would just tell the crew "Jason wouldn't do that" and wouldn't film until they did it his way. They go on to say oh he was right blah blah but sounded more like smoothing over then genuine happiness with how the production went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom