• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Khizr Khan: John McCain was my son's 'hero'

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Khan is too savage for this world. He's not only hitting Trump with that ether, but now McCain.

CNN)After delivering a passionate speech about the Constitution at the Democratic National Convention last week, Khizr Khan, the father of a Muslim-American soldier killed in Iraq in 2004, has spent the several days defending himself and his wife from attacks by Donald Trump.

Now he's also defending Republicans who have sparred with the GOP presidential nominee, particularly Arizona Sen. John McCain, who Khan says was a source of encouragement for him during his son's deployment. Khan's son, the late Army Capt. Humayun Khan, was killed by suicide bombers 12 years ago. But before Humayun was killed, his father sent him McCain's book, Why Courage Matters: The Way to a Braver Life.

"Senator McCain -- he's my hero," Khan told CNN in an interview. "The last book my son read that I sent him was Senator McCain's book about courage: "Why Courage Matters." So for me to hear Donald Trump malign my hero -- my son's hero -- it is just mind-boggling."

Trump first criticized McCain last summer during a town hall in Iowa when he questioned whether McCain, a Vietnam War pilot who spent several years undergoing torture as a prisoner of war after his plane was shot down, should really be considered a hero.

"He's not a war hero," Trump said. "He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

After Trump responded to Khan's DNC speech last week, McCain released a statement condemning Trump's rhetoric about Khan family.

"In recent days, Donald Trump disparaged a fallen soldier's parents," said McCain. "He has suggested that the likes of their son should not be allowed in the United States -- to say nothing of entering its service. I cannot emphasize enough how deeply I disagree with Mr. Trump's statement. I hope Americans understand that the remarks do not represent the views of our Republican Party, its officers, or candidates."

Khan said that he was "not surprised" by Trump's negative reaction to his speech, in which he criticized Trump for calling to ban Muslim immigrants, questioned whether he had ever read the U.S. Constitution, and said, "You have sacrificed nothing and no one."
Trump responded by suggesting that Khan's wife, Ghazala Kahn, who stood on stage with him, was forbidden from speaking because of their Muslim faith.

The back and forth between Trump and the grieving Gold Star family has continued into this week, leading many Republicans to rebuke Trump.

"We have been watching him malign even the senior-most leaders of his own party," Khan said. "The lack of decency is just amazingly shocking at his part. His surrogates to do try to balance it. ... History will treat this kind of behavior very cruelly when these elections are over."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/03/politics/khizr-khan-donald-trump-john-mccain/

This guy just might singlehandedly destroy what's left of the GOP. It's like his mission in life is to burn the damn thing to the ground.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Besides being sincere, this is also strategically smart because it reinforces that his speech wasn't about Democrats versus Republicans, it was about The World vs Trump.

Zaph

I'm not saying it's without sincerity, but god damn, that's a genius angle to take for maximum damage.

Oh this is basically like dropping a landmine right in front of Trump, who was too curious about what it was so he kept poking it

Khan is too savage for this world. He's not only hitting Trump with that ether, but now McCain.

I'm not entirely up on twitter lingo, but 'Khan hitting McCain with ether' would not be correct in this case, right? They are on the same side if I'm reading all this correctly.

Maxim726X

Damn, out of all of the gaffes and attacks that could have sunk his campaign...

It may very well be an unassuming American Muslim family. Not the Obamas, not the Clintons, not the Bushes or McCains of the world- But the Khan family.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not entirely up on twitter lingo, but 'Khan hitting McCain with ether' would not be correct in this case, right? They are on the same side if I'm reading all this correctly.

McCain endorsed Trump so he wouldn't lose his primary. By saying this Khan not only makes Trump look bad, he makes himself look more bipartisan, but he also makes McCain look incredibly bad for endorsing Trump in the first place. He literally couldn't have done this any better. This is slight of hand, make everyone look at Trump while he shivs McCain.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Damn... He's putting the gun now on McCain.

He'd drop him ASAP if he wasn't running for reelection. Really shows you where is priorities are.

If you're 80 years old and been in office for the past 35 years. Go out with a bit of divinity.

PopeReal

McCain is done. I don't see him surviving this. He blew it from the start, at every step.

At least he can't help give away more Native American land.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

It may very well be an unassuming American Muslim family. Not the Obamas, not the Clintons, not the Bushes or McCains of the world- But the Khan family.

It's extremely appropriate. Because it frames Trump as being against the common person, and ordinary families. Shooting an arrow straight through the heart of his rhetoric about not being an elite, and standing with the working class.

This reminds people what Trump actually is - not just an elite, but one of the worst kinds of elites. Petty, thin-skinned, vengeful, and so insecure he is threatened by a random person off the street.

Khizr Khan is a great foil to Trump's malarkey. He is sincere, compassionate, speaks highly of some republicans despite supporting Hillary, and has integrity. That's before you get to the fact that he's in the public spotlight at all because he's defending his fallen son who is a war hero.

I mean, fuck. Trump bit off more than even his big mouth can chew. I've seen his base lashing out at Medal of Honor recipients that sided with Khizr and his family. It is not a good look for Trump or his base at all.

McCain should remove his endorsement!

He can't, at this point. He should have never endorsed in the first place and followed Cruz and Graham on this.

McCain endorsed because the type of voter that supports Donald Trump is the type that thrives in Arizona Republican primaries. They would dedicate every moment of every day to making sure McCain loses his primary. He was more concerned about being primaried out and not getting to retire from the senate on his own terms than he was about the country. Besides, worst case scenario, Trump would just be an empty suit and a rubber stamp, right? Republican agenda would still get done.

Now McCain is stuck. Obama has said Republicans should pull their endorsement. McCain does that now and it looks like he is agreeing with a man he just called responsible for the Orlando shootings. Moreover, he pulls his endorsement and McCain is saying that all the other shit Trump said was okay, but criticizing McCain is too far. He will look petty, petulant, and will still lose his primary.

Honestly, if he wanted to do it, this Khizr Khan thing could probably give him cover. He could meet with the family, say he understands them even better now, and say he can't support Trump in good conscience. He just won't do any of that until the primary is over.

McCain endorsed Trump so he wouldn't lose his primary. By saying this Khan not only makes Trump look bad, he makes himself look more bipartisan, but he also makes McCain look incredibly bad for endorsing Trump in the first place. He literally couldn't have done this any better. This is slight of hand, make everyone look at Trump while he shivs McCain.

I've read this article three times and can't find the part where Khan hits McCain for continuing to endorse Trump. Am I blind or what is happening

McCain is done. I don't see him surviving this. He blew it from the start, at every step.

At least he can't help give away more Native American land.

Interesting. I still don't really see how this is that bad for McCain when it's so obviously the right thing to do? Siding with Khan (that is what he did, right?).

I've read this article three times and can't find the part where Khan hits McCain for continuing to endorse Trump. Am I blind or what is happening

I'm having the same problem.

It's not directly said, but this line implies it heavily.

"We have been watching him malign even the senior-most leaders of his own party," Khan said. "The lack of decency is just amazingly shocking at his part. His surrogates to do try to balance it. ... History will treat this kind of behavior very cruelly when these elections are over."

Dryk

The Democrats really did pick the perfect family to point at and say "Not in Trump's America" didn't they

RPGCrazied

Some hero. Can't even stand up to Donald Trump. Even after being humiliated by Trump, you still say you'll vote for him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's in the subtext. McCain endorses Trump, Khan says McCain was his son's hero, hits Trump for insulting not only his son and other veterans but his son's hero as well, McCain continues to endorse Trump.

It's subliminal. When you read this story it plants the question: I wonder what McCain thinks about all this? When you look at the answer it just makes him look even worse than he did before.

Interesting. I still don't really see how this is that bad for McCain when it's so obviously the right thing to do? Siding with Khan (that is what he did, right?).

I'm having the same problem.

McCain continues to endorse Trump.

PopeReal

There are are a few smart republicans who dodged this shit show at the beginning. Even that slimeball Cruz got away. Some may have done it for the right reason, some maybe just to save their ass because they knew what was coming.

But oh boy, McCain and many others are done.

A part of me feels sad that a family has to share the death of their son and their pain to the world just to bring down Trump. I understand the world needs to see that but I feel sad it had to come to this.

ColdPizza

Banned
Wow...

I know a decent amount of people voting for Trump based solely on the military angle. I'll need to touch base with some to see if their opinions have changed.

He can't, at this point. He should have never endorsed in the first place and followed Cruz and Graham on this.

McCain endorsed because the type of voter that supports Donald Trump is the type that thrives in Arizona Republican primaries. They would dedicate every moment of every day to making sure McCain loses his primary. He was more concerned about being primaried out and not getting to retire from the senate on his own terms than he was about the country. Besides, worst case scenario, Trump would just be an empty suit and a rubber stamp, right? Republican agenda would still get done.

Now McCain is stuck. Obama has said Republicans should pull their endorsement. McCain does that now and it looks like he is agreeing with a man he just called responsible for the Orlando shootings. Moreover, he pulls his endorsement and McCain is saying that all the other shit Trump said was okay, but criticizing McCain is too far. He will look petty, petulant, and will still lose his primary.

Honestly, if he wanted to do it, this Khizr Khan thing could probably give him cover. He could meet with the family, say he understands them even better now, and say he can't support Trump in good conscience. He just won't do any of that until the primary is over.
Dude is what, 80? Destroy Trump and all his morons, ride off into the sunset and live happily in his 3 mansions for the remainder of his life. Keep your legacy intact. Where's the "maverick"?

PopeReal

A part of me feels sad that a family has to share the death of their son and their pain to the world just to bring down Trump. I understand the world needs to see that but I feel sad it had to come to this.

I certainly don't like watching the couple when their pain is so evident. But I think his speech at the DNC was a historically important one. Not just because of Trump, but as a reminder to all those racist fuckwhits who feel comfortable talking shit openly.

kmax

Trump is getting ethered so hard by Khan, and it's fucking amazing.

Keep going Khan. Obliterate him.

Slayven

Sharpest dagger is always the one you don't see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom