• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Khizr Khan: John McCain was my son's 'hero'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude is what, 80? Destroy Trump and all his morons, ride off into the sunset and live happily in his 3 mansions for the remainder of his life. Keep your legacy intact. Where's the "maverick"?

McCain wants to go down as the Ted Kennedy of the right, except with less personal involvement in deaths.

He wants to be applauded when he goes up to speak at a convention as the party elder. He wants the history books to say he was the last great senator. He has no interest in governing anymore, just in being remembered.

McCain continues to endorse Trump.

Yeah alright.

Though considering how uh, pretty much the entire Republican party only begrudgingly nominated Trump, I didn't think anyone would put serious stock in endorsements that were given. Also, when you see how the reaction was to Cruz's decision in that respect, it's not that weird for McCain to have given his pro forma endorsement (towing the party line and all that shit)? And uhm, not that strange either to not attribute too much value to said endorsement.

I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this.

McCain will lose his primary if he unendorsed trump. But it would be solid retribution for the bullshit he pulled in 2008 and for backing trump at all.

Khan might just end up forcing McCain to save his own dignity.

Yeah alright.

Though considering how uh, pretty much the entire Republican party only begrudgingly nominated Trump, I didn't think anyone would put serious stock in endorsements that were given. Also, when you see how the reaction was to Cruz's decision in that respect, it's not that weird for McCain to have given his pro forma endorsement (towing the party line and all that shit)? And uhm, not that strange either to not attribute too much value to said endorsement.

The rules of party loyalty dictate McCain must fall in line.

The rules of party loyalty don't really apply in this instance.

McCain made a choice to endorse Trump. It was a politically expedient choice, it will likely help him keep his job, and it gave him cover, but he did make the choice. He was not forced to do it.

Slayven

Mccain shouldn't have endorsed him to begin with.

Trump shitted on him from upon high.

At least Cruz had a sliver of a backbone

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah alright.

Trump personally insulted McCain a few times over the course of the last year. Did you forget that? No one would have bat an eye had McCain refused to endorse, hell he would have been applauded. Also,

The rules of party loyalty dictate McCain must fall in line.

The rules of party loyalty don't really apply in this instance.

McCain made a choice to endorse Trump. It was a politically expedient choice, it will likely help him keep his job, and it gave him cover, but he did make the choice. He was not forced to do it.

this.

It seems like you're forgetting a lot of what happened prior to this shitshow of a week.

BFIB

I so want to meet this man and shake his hand. Or buy him and his wife dinner somewhere.

Trump personally insulted McCain a few times over the course of the last year. Did you forget that? No one would have bat an eye had McCain refused to endorse, hell he would have been applauded. Also,

this.

It seems like you're forgetting a lot of what happened prior to this shitshow of a week.

No, I'm genuinely just asking you guys as it seems I have indeed failed to keep track of everything (lot of shit to keep track of in this show though ;). Thanks for explaining.

Mr. X

Trump been shitting on McCain for a while. He attacked him for being a PoW and didn't endorse for McCain's re-election.

Khan mentioning McCain's book on "Courage", calling McCain him and his son's hero, and being the last book the son read before he walked to his own death to keep his squad safe should be a wake up call to McCain to grow a spine.

I feel like this is McCain's mindset currently:

28743770035_6f2ebe07d9_o.gif

I can't. The hubris that caused this. The lack of character that supported this. Khan is doing good work here and he's just telling it like it is

Mr. X

No, I'm genuinely just asking you guys as it seems I have indeed failed to keep track of everything (lot of shit to keep track of in this show though ;). Thanks for explaining.

Actually, Chrisitian American was a thing because they think they're being attacked and oppressed with religion neutral holiday stuff, separation of church and state and the whole creationism/evolution shit going on in public schools.

BFIB

McCain should just come out and praise the shit out of Khan's son, and use this as the platform to align against Trump, especially after yesterday, and what we are hearing out of Kansas regarding their midterms.

The time is now McCain, don't fuck this up and fall in line.

Lmo911

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Kahn decided to do something.

When it comes to McCain: If we look at it politically, is it better for him to grin and bear it till he wins the primary or for him to say it now, lose the primary and possibly have his seat taken by a crazy Trump-ite? What is the possibility of the Dem beating the other guy?

I feel like it's risky for McCain to rescind his endorsement of Trump after he wins the primary (assuming he wins the primary.) It would be so obviously politically motivated that I think it'll do serious damage to his reputation as a noble, principled party elder.

If he wants to turn away from Trump, I'd say now's the time. Then again, maybe he just figures that if he's gonna go down, he'd rather go down in a general election than a primary.

Or who knows, maybe he has enough empathy for the Khan family that he just may set aside political tabulation for a second and do what he feels is right without electoral outcome as the driving factor. Not holding my breath though.

McCain should just come out and praise the shit out of Khan's son, and use this as the platform to align against Trump, especially after yesterday, and what we are hearing out of Kansas regarding their midterms.

McCain is a punk, he ain't doing shit.

Future

As long as he wants to remain in politics, he will fall in line to remain in office. It's the system that strips everyone of their balls. And it's representative of whos in his state. The people DONT want him to remove his endorsement

mrmyth

Do we know what Khan's party affiliation is? I feel like everyone is behaving as if he's a Democrat, when I get the vibe he's a Republican who wants his party back. I feel like that's his final trap card.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Do we know what Khan's party affiliation is? I feel like everyone is behaving as if he's a Democrat, when I get the vibe he's a Republican who wants his party back. I feel like that's his final trap card.

Its possible he is a republican. Up until this election most voted republican I think

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Assuming that the stuff in Kansas is indication of a real trend and not just a fluke or ephemeral circumstances in the individual races, that trend is not the rejection of Trumpism, it's the rejection of GOP austerity. McCain is not particularly associated with the austerity wing of the party. The reasons for his low popularity among the Arizona GOP are basically because he's insufficiently conservative on immigration issues--i.e. he's being saddled by being not enough of a Trumper, not too much of a Trumper. Hopefully he can pull through. Obviously I'd support any D in the fall election against McCain, but given that Republicans are likely to win in Arizona, I'd certainly prefer McCain to anyone who'd be challenging him from his right.

Assuming that the stuff in Kansas is indication of a real trend and not just a fluke or ephemeral circumstances in the individual races, that trend is not the rejection of Trumpism, it's the rejection of GOP austerity. McCain is not particularly associated with the austerity wing of the party. The reasons for his low popularity among the Arizona GOP are basically because he's insufficiently conservative on immigration issues--i.e. he's being saddled by being not enough of a Trumper, not too much of a Trumper. Hopefully he can pull through. Obviously I'd support any D in the fall election against McCain, but given that Republicans are likely to win in Arizona, I'd certainly prefer McCain to anyone who'd be challenging him from his right.

The person who is challenging him is insane. As much McCain hate as there is trust me when I say you do not want McCain gone. A democrat is not going to win this year and the other option is not a good one.

ElFly

Its possible he is a republican. Up until this election most voted republican I think

it seems they largely started falling out the republican side after 9/11, for obvious reasons, but it wasn't really that evident until romney

it is not clear that before 9/11 most voted republican tho. it seems it was p divided

Dude is what, 80? Destroy Trump and all his morons, ride off into the sunset and live happily in his 3 mansions for the remainder of his life. Keep your legacy intact. Where's the "maverick"?

That guy got taken out back and shot during the 2008 primary.

McCain's fall is so sad. I honestly might have considered voting for him over Gore in 2000, had I been able to vote at the time.

Blader

McCain wants to go down as the Ted Kennedy of the right, except with less personal involvement in deaths.

He wants to be applauded when he goes up to speak at a convention as the party elder. He wants the history books to say he was the last great senator. He has no interest in governing anymore, just in being remembered.

He should wake up to the fact that he's not getting that legacy. His party has been blasting him as a loser and a RINO for the last 8 years.

CHC

If only he could see McCain now. I used to have a pretty good amount of respect for him but his failure to distance himself from Trump is so weak and embarassing - especially this late in his career when he has relatively little to lose.

Blader

I think he supports the Republican stance on immigration control at least, and has said more than once it's not about Democrats vs. Republicans as it is everyone vs. Trump.

iammeiam

The Trump campaign has to be coaching Trump at this point to ensure he doesn't engage with Khan.

I think they did that over the weekend--he gave a couple of town hall speeches early this week where he ranted about everything except the Khan issue. But it's Trump, it didn't stick, and he pivoted to going all in on them and encouraging his surrogates to defend his right to. I sort of wonder if the GOP condemnations pushed him off the cliff or what, but ultimately he took half a step back and then jumped back in more ridiculous than ever.

Lorcain

It's perfectly appropriate that it would be the Khan family that would bring down the demagogue. They are the living counter to all of the ignorance and hate that Trump's entire platform and base are built upon.

RMI

Banned
Khizr Khan is an American hero

hard working immigrant whose family made the ultimate sacrifice?

yeah sounds about right, actually.

I don't know where this "real america" anti-immigrant bullshit came from. As the son of immigrants myself it just makes me sick.

LiK

I don't know where this "real america" anti-immigrant bullshit came from. As the son of immigrants myself it just makes me sick.

that's exactly right.

"Give me your tired, your poor
Your huddled masses yearning to breath free"

Whatever happened to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom