• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kick ass! new Garbage cd in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
and...that says it all. So much love for pre beautifulgarbage shirely manson. Anyone remember the way she looked when they performed "only happy when it rains" on the mtv awards...omg...be back later!

xsarien

daedsiluap
They've slowly but surely inched towards pop, so yeah, I'm hoping this next one is a bit closer to their first album. Hell, I'll take going back to Version 2.0. Not that Beautiful Garbage doesn't have it's good points, its just not my favorite.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
xsarien said:
They've slowly but surely inched towards pop, so yeah, I'm hoping this next one is a bit closer to their first album. Hell, I'll take going back to Version 2.0

I won't.

Alright I will, but I'd be disappointed.

I've only listened to all three albums mixed up on my iPod, I have no idea how their music evolved so far. I just know me likey.

Anybody listen to Darling Violetta? Mainly due to the way the female lead sings, some of their stuff sounds a lot like Garbage. To me, they sound like Garbage with something missing.

xsarien

daedsiluap
ArcadeStickMonk said:
I've only listened to all three albums mixed up on my iPod, I have no idea how their music evolved so far. I just know me likey.

Listen to them individually, from earliest to latest (Garbage, Version 2.0, beautifulgarbage.) It's a very obvious progression.

xsarien said:
Listen to them individually, from earliest to latest (Garbage, Version 2.0, beautifulgarbage.) It's a very obvious progression.
Well, yeah, but obviously I never do that. I guess the general style doesn't change enough for me to really segment their work. The whole collection basically sounds like one big album to me, as that the only way I've ever listened to it.

I love Far from God, Hammering in My Head, Fix Me Now, Queer, Untouchable, and Paranoid and I love love love Wicked Ways.

The less heavy stuff I do not care for. That spunky "I just don't caaaaaaaaaaare anymore!" song gets tracked over every time.

Mama Smurf said:
It's all about Milk.

You have to hear the Siren Mix off the Milk single. The remix was done by Garbage themselves, so it's top notch. Milk is my favorite song to play on a rainy day. I have always envisioned that song as being like rain at nighttime.

Anyway, Parade from beautifulgarbage was awesome. One of their best songs. Shut Your Mouth was pretty good, though it was strange and awkward to hear Shirley cuss in an album track. Some other tracks were interesting, like Can't Cry These Tears, and Cherry Lips, but it really wasn't Garbage. Too different.

The S/T album is my favorite. I can't believe it's been ten years already.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The album is titled Bleed Like Me and will be released the 12th of April in NA/the 11th everywhere else.

Their best songs

The World is Not Enough
Queer
Stupid Girl
Only Happy When it Rains
Vow
Push it
Paranoid
When I grow up
Milk
Wicked Ways
#1 Crush
Sleep Together
Not My Idea

Hmm, it seems if I do this I'll be listing every song off my 24 song playlist lol

Let's just conclude that Garbage is an awesome band and Shirley Manson is quite the babe :D

Mama Smurf

I'll check that remix out.

I remember when I first got into Garbage. I'd nicked my sister's Version 2.0 CD, just because I liked the cover I think, and thought they were fucking awesome. It also gave me an opportunity to talk to the really hot girl on my school bus who was into that sort of music, really knew the scene.

Of course when I mentioned how much I liked it, she told me to get the first album instead, that it was much better. I figured this was just some elitist crap "before they sold out" type thing, but I got the self titled album anyway. And I thought I was right for a while, it seemed just as good as 2.0, but no better. But the more I listened to it, the more I saw what she was saying, until now where I almost can't listen to Version 2.0.

I think Garbage got a lot of crap for beautifulgarbage though, which I don't believe was the case moving from the first album to the second. Hopefully they will have taken the criticism onboard and we'll see a triumphant return.

Dead

well not really...yet
Even tho theire whole career was jumped off by ripping off Curve, all theire albums great and enjoyable. Looking forward to this :)

Mama Smurf

Thanks man, I was struggling to find it.

I'm not entirely sure about the remix. I won't judge it yet though, I always listen to a song a few times before I decide how I feel aobu it.

shuri

Banned
I'm totally expecting a vicious, insulting piece of crap. Face it, No famous band that was born in the '90 managed to survive and be musically relevent to this decade. THEY ALL FAILED US /me starts crying

Except Radiohead.

nitewulf

Naked Shuriken said:
I'm totally expecting a vicious, insulting piece of crap. Face it, No famous band that was born in the '90 managed to survive and be musically relevent to this decade. THEY ALL FAILED US /me starts crying

Except Radiohead.
red hot chilli peppers have always been pretty fantastic.

Macam

Banned
Yeah, I'm quite a fan of Garbage myself, but I'm just going to go into the 4th album with open arms. The first two albums were particularly good and Beautiful Garbage felt to me more like a retro/pop flavored album, not too unlike Gwen Stefani's solo project. I liked it, but the timing of the release kind of soured my initial perception of it. That said, I do like it quite a bit, but it doesn't get as frequent rotation as 2.0 or the self titled one. Much as I like Shirley's sultry lyrical flavor over the darker electronic/rock mix, I'm all for bands evolving their sound. The first two albums may be great, but I'd rather they explore new territory than marginally evolve their old sound. Too many bands, especially in rock/alternative these days, have pretty much ran that sound into the ground. If there's anything I commend a band like The Smashing Pumpkins for, it's that complete 180 they pulled after Mellon Collie & The Inifinite Sadness with Adore. I do wish more artists would take such risks, but we'll see what kind of sound Garbage comes out with. All I know is I hope that it comes out leagues better than Collective Soul's last album, Youth, turned out. It's not utter garbage, but it's not too far from it.

Thanks Error Macro for posting that mix. I liked it quite a bit.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I just caught this thread.

I love Garbage and Version 2.0, but I hated beautiful garbage. It was boring. That is all.

Thanks for the Milk remix.

p.s. foo fighters suck now

sspeedy

i got to see shirley for a total of 20 seconds at a concert before my friend freaked out and i had to get outta there :lol i love the first two albums and really like the third one... though i really hope they return to their roots as well.
any good torrent download sites where i can dl some of their stuff? (mainly #1 crush and milk... not the mixed version though).

White Man

p.s. foo fighters suck now

FACT: Back in 2001, Dave Grohl bought his Kiss box set from the store I was working at. I didn't actually ring him out, but I was working at the help desk at the time.

FACT: Dave Grohl has shitty taste in his box set purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom