• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Cudi's debut album of Man on the Moon: The End of Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Dude is really nothing special. His work more often than not, comes off as contrived.

SleazyC

Having jumped back into hip-hop after a 5 year hiatus Cudi was one of the first I listened to extensively. The thing I liked about his music was that is was just fun to listen to and was a great re-introduction to hip-hop. I don't think he has an outstanding characteristics but he does everything good enough where his music is enjoyable.

I am looking forward to this album as well as a handful of other artists that I was introduced to through the hip-hop threads here.

Double D

Wellington said:
What mixtape are you guys listening to? A Kid Named Cudi?

Check out Dat Kid From Cleveland and the recent compilation The Moon Man mixtape. (By recent I mean like February :lol)

I liked Dat Kid From Cleveland best. It was where Poke Her Face was first featured, I love Look Up In The Stars, She Came Along, Ho Is Short For Honey and Super Boo.

I'm excited for this album, but not as excited as I thought I'd be. He's not a tremendous lyricist, but I usually like the poppy sound to his tracks.

Album of the year is still Drake's So Far Gone mixtape

Actually, yes, I have only heard A Kid Named Cudi. Before I read this post I was about to jump on board the, "I liked a couple of songs from his mixtape, but as a whole it was nothing special" wagon. I'll check out those other two for sure. Thanks, man

Baconbitz

Banned
Cudi is ok. Not to hyped about his CD. I already bought the only "great" song I've heard of him so far Day N night. I like his new single "Ok" but, its nothing special. I'm just tired of emcees having to feature someone hot in the rap game to make they're CD hot. Why can't a rap artist do a full CD without someone being featured on it?

Dizzle24

Glad to see that "Man on the Moon" track being put on the album. It's one of my favorite tracks from the mix-tapes.

TheOddOne

Nachkebia said:
You want the list of albums that came out last months? are you freaking sure? because it will be massive and you will be put on the shame pedestal :lol

You can do it! Do it! Do it!

ant1532

Banned
Pitchfork said:
Ratatat to Perform With Kid Cudi on "Late Night With David Letterman"

We told you that the always evocative Brooklyn-based electronic duo Ratatat help out on Man on the Moon: The End of Day, the forthcoming debut from the weirdly sympatico up-and-coming rap star Kid Cudi. The duo produced two tracks on the LP, "Alive" and "Pursuit of Happiness". ("Pursuit of Happiness" also features MGMT.) And now Ratatat will appear with Cudi on "Late Night With David Letterman" next week, marking the duo's first-ever late-night TV performance.
On September 8, Tuesday night, Cudi is set to serenade Dave and Paul with "Pursuit of Happiness", the second single from Man on the Moon. Here's Cudi's backing band on "Letterman": a string quartet, a DJ, and Ratatat. That's a pretty great backing band!

Man on the Moon: The End of Day is due September 15 from Dream On/G.O.O.D./Universal Motown.

Posted by Tom Breihan on September 3, 2009 at 4:15 p.m.

all of that is awesomeness.

plus, im loving cudis snoop like flow on Enter Galactic.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ashhong said:
do you not listen to pop or hip hop radio?

i cant NOT hear him

I listened to the full "Day N Night" this week for the first time. I've heard about it for months, but I don't even if my car has a radio at this point.

Ashhong

omg rite said:
I listened to the full "Day N Night" this week for the first time. I've heard about it for months, but I don't even if my car has a radio at this point.

i despise the version on the radios. the sirens and shit are so annoying. does not sound like a normal single an artist chooses to release. sounds like a stupid radio dj mixing it at midnight

near

Gold Member
Kid Cudi is here in the UK, and he jumped on BBC Radio1 Xtra last night. Catch the entire programme here. It starts around 1.04.00. Hilarious interview with the man himself, and the world premiere of Pursuit of Happiness (skip to 1.37.00). Sounds really gooood. :D

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hah, "Simple As..." is catchy as hell.

Edit: My brother and I both IMed each other at the same time to say "Heart of a Lion" is awesome. Haha.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
newelly87 said:
the album is terrible

Three big releases coming really quick..
BP3
OB4CLII
MOTM:TEOTD

Acronyms don't help with CuDi, but I'd like to see people rating these three after they release. CuDi has a lot riding on him, so I will listen to the album with high expectations. Didn't like BP3 at first but now I think its fire. F the haters.

ZeoVGM

Banned
enzo_gt said:
BP3
OB4CLII

Acronyms don't help with CuDi, but I'd like to see people rating these three after they release. CuDi has a lot riding on him, so I will listen to the album with high expectations. Didn't like BP3 at first but now I think its fire. F the haters.

I went from thinking BP3 was okay to thinking it's awesome after one full listen in the car. Good shit. Not as good as American Gangster, but still great.

newelly87

Banned
enzo_gt said:
BP3
OB4CLII

BP3>OB4CLII>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MOTM:TEOTD

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah, calling this album terrible when it has a track like "Alive" on it is just nuts. This song is so good.

PBY

Banned
newelly87 said:
I think what you're looking for is that they're all really different- I don't think any of them is "shit" but they all have their strengths /weaknesses... All i know is that OB4CL2 is my fav of the three

ZeoVGM

Banned
Gotta hand it to Kanye. A pretty cool and unexpected sample on "Make Her Say." Going deeper to an live Lady Gaga EP she put out? And it sounds cool with the scratching. Nice song.

(I think this might be a single? This is my first time hearing it.)

Bowser

omg rite said:
Gotta hand it to Kanye. A pretty cool and unexpected sample on "Make Her Say." Going deeper to an live Lady Gaga EP she put out? And it sounds cool with the scratching. Nice song.

(I think this might be a single? This is my first time hearing it.)

Dude...Make Her Say came out back in April :lol

But yo, honestly...MotM > BP3.

Rapping Granny said:
So, when is this album hitting?

Sept. 15th

ZeoVGM

Banned
Bowser said:
Dude...Make Her Say came out back in April :lol

I haven't turned on my radio in like a year, so there's really no way I would have heard it unless I searched it out.

I like it better that way though. I try to only hear a lead single and then save the rest of the album for the full listen.

But yo, honestly...MotM > BP3.

Leaning towards this. I like the album a lot. It'll take a few more listens to take in though.

Oh, and the last track sounds like a Shwayze song.

aznpxdd

newelly87 said:

Wrong. OB4CLII sounds like good ol' 90's hip hop, raw as hell. Jay should have stayed retired, he has released nothing but meh albums after The Black Album.

PBY

Banned
aznpxdd said:
Wrong. OB4CLII sounds like good ol' 90's hip hop, raw as hell. Jay should have stayed retired, he has released nothing but meh albums after The Black Album.
thats why i prefer raekwon's album to jayz's- jayz swtiched to alot of electronic beats and loops, and I know alot of people complained about his soul loops, but it doesn't really convey a raw style that I like in rap- I still really like bp3, just not as much as ob4cl2

ZeoVGM

Banned
aznpxdd said:

American Gangster says no.

Out of the three since Black Album, only one was bad really: Kingdom Come. American Gangster was great.

PBY

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
OB4CLII>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BP3

Haven't listened to Cudi's album.
its difficult to compare them, as I said earlier- but after listening to cudi's, I'm a big fan of the production, lyrically some of the stuff doesn't really resonate with me, but regardless, its still a great album

Ashhong

im sure hes mad about it, but thats a nice "attitude" hes putting out there

although now hes let the casuals who dont search out leaks know its out..

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, consider me impressed. I didn't like Day N Nite and hated Make Her Say, but these album cuts are completely different from his singles.

Dope album, I still don't think he's the god that Neogaf seems to be making him out to be nor this ridiculously great new artist, but this album certainly (on first spin) puts him in a new light.

I'm holding off on this until it hits retail, this is probably the first non-indie release I have been hyped for in a really long time.

BTW Jay Electronica is far from a new artist, you can't be in the game for 10 years and be considered a new artist because you never secured a deal to put out an album...still a fan of him, just wouldn't consider him a new artist at all

Ashhong

the mix cd im making for my car has turned into the kid cudi cd :lol too many tracks with good production to skip

Cudi Zone
Heart of a Lion
Up up and Away
Pursuit of Happiness
Sky Might Fall
Sountrack 2 My Life

honorable mentions for Make Her Say and Day n Nite.

i like the bit at the end of the album. also like the beat, wish he rapped on top of that

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
GodfatherX said:
I'm holding off on this until it hits retail, this is probably the first non-indie release I have been hyped for in a really long time.

BTW Jay Electronica is far from a new artist, you can't be in the game for 10 years and be considered a new artist because you never secured a deal to put out an album...still a fan of him, just wouldn't consider him a new artist at all

You're right.

I didn't know he was in the game for 10 years though, I thought he's been around since like 05 or 06 :\

I am a man. And a Man admit when he was wrong....This CD is pretty damn great.....I'm normally not into this type of music but....this is good.

there I admitted it...you win this time hiphop gaf.

Ashhong

where are the production credits for this album? thats the star of the show, although cudi is pretty good himself, really works with the beats

edit: ah wiki. good job for signing Cudi Kanye, good fucking job.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Three full spins. 8/10.

After three spins of all albums, I decide what's going on my iPod (Soon to be Zune) and what's not from the album.

In My Dreams
Soundtrack 2 My Life
Simple As...
Solo Dolo
Heart of A Lion
My World
Alive
Cudi Zone
Pursuit of Happiness
Hyyerr

That is pretty fuckin good, the production really is through the roof.

Man, September 15th is going to be killer:

Zune HD
MOTM
BP3
The Ecstatic (Never picked it up)
So Far Gone EP

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom