• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Cudi's debut album of Man on the Moon: The End of Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

thetechkid said:
No it's not, a good way to evaluate if a Cd was good is how long it's still remembered. People don't go around talking about mediocre albums, but they do talk about and compare new albums to older ones that stick out as MEMORABLE FOR BEING GOOD. And yeah I still listen to almost all of Lupe's stuff alot, mostly his mixtapes(A Rhyming Ape is my favorite mixtapes of all times).

happen to have a link for Rhyming Ape? i was never into mixtapes but would love to hear Lupe

Bishman

Nihilism said:
People have different opinions. Who knew?
Nothing wrong with that. I hate how certain people say a certain rapper sucks just because they blow up and have mainstream appeal. Then get all on rappers who are unknown / underground nuts and say they the best.

It gets annoying. But you are right. We all have different tastes.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The Ecstatic > MoTM > BP3

Lasers will probably beat all of them, if not be a little behind The Ecstatic.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
This album is pretty wack. The production is cool in places, but Cudi is just such a boring emcee. His monotone voice, uninteresting lyrics and pedestrian rhyme scheme really hold this album back. Maybe it will grow on me, but outside of a few songs, this is largely forgettable.

Outside of the Slaughterhouse album I haven't been enjoying much of the hype train hip hop coming out lately (OBFCL2 is solid, but I don't love it like everyone else).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bishman said:
Nothing wrong with that. I hate how certain people say a certain rapper sucks just because they blow up and have mainstream appeal. Then get all on rappers who are unknown / underground nuts and say they the best.

It gets annoying. But you are right. We all have different tastes.

Its not always like that, sometimes its legit interest because they are a bit different than the norm. CuDi has blown up and so has Drake, but I like them both for different reasons than their mainstream appeal. CuDi for his soulful raps and Drake cause he can spit, not cause of that Best I Ever Had stuff.

Tupac = Still my favourite rapper.

Ashhong said:
happen to have a link for Rhyming Ape? i was never into mixtapes but would love to hear Lupe

Go to youtube/iTunes right now and preview any song off of The Cool. Really, any one of them. Hip Hop Saved My Life is one of my favourites.

Ashhong

:lol sorry guys i meant id love to hear Lupe's mixtapes. i mentioned earlier i still listen to the Cool and cant wait for LASERS.

and Hip Hop Saved My Life is also one of my favs.

ant1532 said:
he must have meant lupe's(mixtapes). lupe is too popular not to hear

outside of Superstar i've never heard him on the radio or talked about with the genpop

Amir0x

Banned
That song Day 'N Nite has been stuck in my head for weeks. My fucking stoner friends ALWAYS play that shit over and over :lo

PBY

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:
This album is pretty wack. The production is cool in places, but Cudi is just such a boring emcee. His monotone voice, uninteresting lyrics and pedestrian rhyme scheme really hold this album back. Maybe it will grow on me, but outside of a few songs, this is largely forgettable.

Outside of the Slaughterhouse album I haven't been enjoying much of the hype train hip hop coming out lately (OBFCL2 is solid, but I don't love it like everyone else).
Hrmm, gotta relisten to the ecstatic- I liked it, but I dunno- POS also dropped Never Better which was damn good too

Ashhong

Amir0x said:
That song Day 'N Nite has been stuck in my head for weeks. My fucking stoner friends ALWAYS play that shit over and over :lo

the single version or the dumb remix you hear on the radio with the sirens? i got so fucking tired of hearing that on the radio. listening to the cd version has re-energized the song though

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Maybe this is a grower, half way through and I'm not really liking it, and Cudi has quite possibly the most boring voice I have ever heard.

Ashhong

Ikuu said:
Maybe this is a grower, half way through and I'm not really liking it, and Cudi has quite possibly the most boring voice I have ever heard.

concentrate more on the production. you didnt like sountrack 2 my life? simple as? heart of a lion?

Mau ®

yeah he's got a boring voice... but damn that production is really good. 808's & Heartbreak would have turned out like this had it not been so overproduced i reckon.

newelly87 said:
BP3>OB4CLII>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MOTM:TEOTD
What makes BP3, in your opinion, a better album than the G.O.D himself, Raekwon? I'm just curious, because I think all three albums are targeting different fans, and by their own right are solid albums. Raekwon's joint was a album alot of rap heads and backpackers wanted, and the album delivers in all fronts. From production, and rhyme's the shit is straight bonkers. Jayz's jump off was something the people wanted to hear in the radio, streets and club. Basically, the casual head that wanted that "good" Hip-Hop back.

Cudi's album is on some next level shit. Is something the college crowd is digging, and is targeted more to the easy listeners than the "Thugged out" Shoot a club up, type crowd. But, as a whole and personal preference, OB4CL2 is a better album. Due to the fact it reminded why I started playing records to begin with.

While listening to Cudi I can't help but to imagine how some of these tracks would sound with a different artist. Damn is Cudi boring or what? Day and Night is probably the clearest example of this.

outsidah

Ashhong said:
the single version or the dumb remix you hear on the radio with the sirens? i got so fucking tired of hearing that on the radio. listening to the cd version has re-energized the song though

That stupid radio version with the damn sirens.. BAH!!!!

Really liking the album... it really sucks you in.

BTW, I have no idea what LASERS is.. someone clue me in?

Ashhong

outsidah said:
That stupid radio version with the damn sirens.. BAH!!!!

Really liking the album... it really sucks you in.

BTW, I have no idea what LASERS is.. someone clue me in?

Lupe Fiasco's new CD. Followup to The Cool, one of the best albums I've ever listened to

thetechkid said:
Lupe was going to do LupE.N.D. sometime in the middle of the year, then he was made to do 3 more albums by his production company, aka the first being Lasers. It was pushed to December so he could do this album instead of sticking with the time for LupE.N.D..

First single "Shining Down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM5YHqYIctE

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
FUCK this album is boring. You guys are gluttons for punishment for listening to this. I mean, halfway through and I'm only still listening to troll it with more insight.

Already heard banging lines like,

"No, no, no, no, YEAH, NO, YEAH, no, no, no"

and,

"Awesome sound, so profound"

There's a long list of rap, hip-hop and R&B releases from this year that are better than this. Kid Cudi is a waste of any discerning listener's time.

NYR

Just heard Pursuit of Happiness on the radio, sooo good! Can't wait for this album to drop!

DyTonic

Banned
pjberri said:
FUCK this album is boring. You guys are gluttons for punishment for listening to this. I mean, halfway through and I'm only still listening to troll it with more insight.

and,

There's a long list of rap, hip-hop and R&B releases from this year that are better than this. Kid Cudi is a waste of any discerning listener's time.

Cudi makes dope music, if it's not your style w/e.. but his most of his stuff is on point. I don't know what you expected, did you hear his mixtape before this?

PBY

Banned
pjberri said:

and,

step off dude, we get it, you don't like his sound- a lot of people dont either; but to say its bad for "discerning" listeners is just dumb

Beezy

Man, this album is so boring. I'm far from a Jay-Z fan, but :lol @ people saying this is better than BP3.

outsidah

Ashhong said:
Lupe Fiasco's new CD. Followup to The Cool, one of the best albums I've ever listened to

First single "Shining Down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM5YHqYIctE

Thanks for the info - enjoying what I'm hearing so far. Love discovering stuff like this.. :)

peterb0y said:
step off dude, we get it, you don't like his sound- a lot of people dont either; but to say its bad for "discerning" listeners is just dumb

Exactly.

effzee

production is amazing....love the concepts but just wish his rhyming was a bit better. i mean i actually listened thinking man i wish more rappers made songs like this but rapped better over the beats.

Ashhong

outsidah said:
Thanks for the info - enjoying what I'm hearing so far. Love discovering stuff like this.. :)

Exactly.

wait have you never heard of Lupe period? definitely check out The Cool

youtube Hip Hop Saved My Life, my favorite track

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I come to this album thinking: This is experimental Hip Hop, not Conscious Hip Hop or something like that.

And BP3 <<<<<<< The Ecstatic.

ant1532

Banned
Bishman said:
Cudi is not a good rapper imo. He makes good music tho.
cudi isnt trying to be a good rapper. isnt that obvious?
Beezy said:
Man, this album is so boring. I'm far from a Jay-Z fan, but :lol @ people saying this is better than BP3.
yeah man on the moon blows blueprint 3 out of the fucking water. and im a die hard jay z fan. much better, but your looking at it probably from a rap perspective.

Baby Milo

This album doesn't work. His mixtape "man on the moon" is better. Its like he totally abandoned rap for a sing songy hodgepodge. Hes not strong enough a singer to carry an album.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
DyobolikaL. said:
Cudi makes dope music, if it's not your style w/e.. but his most of his stuff is on point. I don't know what you expected, did you hear his mixtape before this?
peterb0y said:

What a cop-out.

The production has its moments, but is mostly lifeless and, worse, does not compliment the vocals. From either a rap or R&B standpoint, the concepts of his songs aren't delivering anything that hasn't been said before, and Cudi doesn't have the charisma, delivery or wit to be able to pull that off.

But if you guys want to put your fingers in your ears and words in other's mouths to the legitimate criticism this gets, that's your prerogative.

Ashhong

pjberri said:
What a cop-out.

The production has its moments, but is mostly lifeless and, worse, does not compliment the vocals. From either a rap or R&B standpoint, the concepts of his songs aren't delivering anything that hasn't been said before, and Cudi doesn't have the charisma, delivery or wit to be able to pull that off.

But if you guys want to put your fingers in your ears and words in other's mouths to the legitimate criticism this gets, that's your prerogative.

well what kind of response you want? "doesnt compliment the vocals" well, i think they perfectly compliment the vocals.

if you want to stick a finger up your ass and tell everyone you think the music theyre listening to sucks and that its like a punishment then that's your perogative.

Ashhong

Baby Milo said:
wtf? hes sing songying it up on the vast majority of this album

ah, thought you said "singing" earlier. personally like his sing songy/rapping style. i think he does it pretty well, and it helps to cover that hes not the best mc

caromelo said:
Am I the only one who's starting to get annoyed of Matthew Santos always being in Lupe's songs?

Edit: Guess Not

im starting to get annoyed, but still ok with it. has he really been in that many of Lupes songs? Superstar, Shining Down, maybe some on Food and Liquor? dont remember that album

Knux-Future said:
I don't understand why this matters? I've heard this used as a way to bash an album but why should the fact that an album won't be talked about a few months later be a way of showing how good it was? In a few months a new CD will be out and of course you won't be talking about this CD, when Lupe comes out it's gonna be awesome but then a few months later nothing... I loved his last few CD's but I don't listen to them everyday....

that's a shitty way of evaluating a CD's worth.
when an album is memorable that usually mean its good. No one is going to give a shit about the BP3 when all is said and done. It will be reasonable doubt and the other blueprint albums. Jay-z's latest 3 albums have all been slightly above average, not classics like his earlier work.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
effzee said:
production is amazing....love the concepts but just wish his rhyming was a bit better. i mean i actually listened thinking man i wish more rappers made songs like this but rapped better over the beats.

True, but I don't think this concept would've worked with many other rappers. Can't see anyone but Kanye doing stuff like this.

Also that Shining Down single left me major disappointed. Felt like Superstar 2.0. I wanted Lupe to come out from left field with something. Maybe that's just me.

pjberri said:

and,

Boring? Really? It is mellow but whatever floats your boat. And that "no no" line is not really a line, its more like a bridge really. Clearly not your type of album, if the bridges don't go hard enough for you.

CuDi's delivery isn't ace but his vocals work damn good with the production, I say. See: Mr. Solo Dolo. Maybe after seeing interviews and all his previous work, I may've figured out CuDi and can sort of connect with what he's trying to say beyond the "monotone" vocals. I though there was a reason they were monotone at parts in the album, especially in the second (nightmare) act.

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:
True, but I don't think this concept would've worked with many other rappers. Can't see anyone but Kanye doing stuff like this.

Also that Shining Down single left me major disappointed. Felt like Superstar 2.0. I wanted Lupe to come out from left field with something. Maybe that's just me.

thats what i was expecting from lupEND. im thinking this will be The Cool v2

DevelopmentArrested said:
His two mixtapes were much much better.

those were good too. the production is just too good here

Testicular Sound Express said:
when an album is memorable that usually mean its good. No one is going to give a shit about the BP3 when all is said and done. It will be reasonable doubt and the other blueprint albums. Jay-z's latest 3 albums have all been slightly above average, not classics like his earlier work.

why does everything have to be a classic? Shit to me a good CD is one that has more than 7 good-great songs that I like enough to listen to for more than a few weeks and after a week I move on. Even great ass albums get old if you listen to it too much and after a few weeks of extended play you start to move out songs you only sort of like until you might have only one song left...then OH shit a new CD that you like comes out burring the other one.

not eveyrthing has to be fucking perfect and thats why some of you say that hiphop is dead, it's dead because you kept expecting every goddam song/cd to be a classic. Just listen to the music and quit expecting gold with everything...

Ashhong

Knux-Future said:
why does everything have to be a classic? Shit to me a good CD is one that has more than 7 good-great songs that I like enough to listen to for more than a few weeks and after a week I move on. Even great ass albums get old if you listen to it too much and after a few weeks of extended play you start to move out songs you only sort of like until you might have only one song left...then OH shit a new CD that you like comes out burring the other one.

not eveyrthing has to be fucking perfect and thats why some of you say that hiphop is dead, it's dead because you kept expecting every goddam song/cd to be a classic. Just listen to the music and quit expecting gold with everything...

what dude? hes just responding to your question. not every album has to be a classic, but an album has to be a classic if they want to be talked about for years to come.

ok i gave in, the album starts off pretty boring, but very solid throughout otherwise

I think a lot of the same people who appreciated kanye's 808s will appreciate this in general

Black_Ice said:
The Ecstatic > MoTM

This.

Dr. Strangelove said:

You pretty much summed up my feelings more eloquently than I could.

Ashhong said:

Crookers remix is catchy and better than the original.

Ashhong said:
concentrate more on the production. you didnt like sountrack 2 my life? simple as? heart of a lion?

If you guys like the album for the production and concept, why you all dickriding Cudi so much? Sure it was his concept but he didn't produce the songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom