• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Cudi's debut album of Man on the Moon: The End of Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

roosters93 said:
This.

You pretty much summed up my feelings more eloquently than I could.

Crookers remix is catchy and better than the original.

If you guys like the album for the production and concept, why you all dickriding Cudi so much? Sure it was his concept but he didn't produce the songs.

Personally hate the Crookers remix. takes away from the song.

i LOVE the production, but also enjoy Cudi's actual singing/rapping. i think it works perfectly and also enjoy his lyrics. anything is better than gangster rap though, really.

Tokubetsu

Ashhong said:
Personally hate the Crookers remix. takes away from the song.

i LOVE the production, but also enjoy Cudi's actual singing/rapping. i think it works perfectly and also enjoy his lyrics. anything is better than gangster rap though, really.
Thought i was the only one but I enjoy his voice and lyrics also. They're not the greatest but there's something sincere and honest about then that i really dig.

MickD

WowEwowwowow! This was totally worth the wait. Album O THE YEAR!! What's going to be on the DVD anyone know?

Jay Sosa

ant1532 said:
outside of Superstar i've never heard him on the radio or talked about with the genpop

I guess he meant on the internet, he had a lot of hype before Food and Liquor but that died down (mainstreamwise) pretty quick after the album flopped..

cudi isnt trying to be a good rapper. isnt that obvious?

Then he shouldn't rap period.. I know what you're trying to say: that it doesn't take anything away from him beeing a great artists, but still. He should try and get better if he wants to be taken seriously as an mc.

Anyways: Anybody got a clue whats going to be on the 65 minute DVD?

ZeoVGM

Banned
The whole "he's so boring, his voice is so monotone" stuff is kind of annoying. That's his style. That's the way he raps. I understand that being a reason why you may not like it, obviously. But I have no problems with a slow type of flow. He has a very unique sound.

The album isn't HOLY SHIT AMAZING, but I think it's very good. Probably equal to BP3 for me.

And I'm going to join the list of people waiting on Lasers to drop. The Cool might be my favorite hip hop album ever.

ant1532

Banned
Jay Sosa said:
I guess he meant on the internet, he had a lot of hype before Food and Liquor but that died down (mainstreamwise) pretty quick after the album flopped..

Then he shouldn't rap period.. I know what you're trying to say: that it doesn't take anything away from him beeing a great artists, but still. He should try and get better if he wants to be taken seriously as an mc.
your a fool for saying the bolded. yeah dont rap at all if your not trying to be the best... LOL. hes rapping to make good music. some rappers focus to hard on their lyricsand thier music just flat out is garbage.

I'm not a fan of Cudi's but imo his monotone voice fits well with the type of music/production he works with. Plus he's able to switch up his pace when needed

Ashhong

GodfatherX said:
damn, didnt realize the deluxe edition has 4 bonus songs, now i feel like I dont have the full album

from what i saw all 4 of them are from mixtapes and can be heard on youtube. only the Anthem track fits the sound of MOTM imo. still have this album on repeat though, so good. only dont like hyyerr, doesnt really fit.

Ashhong

Tokubetsu said:
Did "you can call me moon man" make the final cut of the album?

dont believe so, is it good?

ah this song, didnt it leak a while ago? odd that it didnt make the album

Ashhong

MickD said:
Do you smoke weed or live in the south? I like it.

i have done neither of those :lol

its probably the least..."original" of the tracks, production wise. might grow on me, but it just doesnt fit the cd imo

MickD

:lol I can see that, I personally hate pokerher face. Doesn't work in an album of this caliber and I usually like the featuring Kanye stuff. Maybe it's because I've had it all summer, but I never liked it.

"Make Her Say" is too cute for its own good. "Sky Might Fall" is AMAZING. This reminds me a lot of N.E.R.D.'s "In Search Of...", it's a REALLY solid album.

Ashhong

farfromfinished said:
Does anyone one else love Simple As? Can't get it out of my head. I could see it being sampled in a lot of remixes like Day N Nite.

yup and his flow is really good here too

I really like this album. It flows really well when listened from beginning to end. The production is spectacular. Cudi's slow flow and simple lyrics make it so that the production is accentuated without taking over the songs in full (see: 808s & Heartbreak).

Pursuit of Happiness and Sky Might Fall are the big standouts for me so far. I want to go through the album a few more gos before I am sure though.

Ashhong

The Crimson Blur said:
I really like this album. It flows really well when listened from beginning to end. The production is spectacular. Cudi's slow flow and simple lyrics make it so that the production is accentuated without taking over the songs in full (see: 808s & Heartbreak).

Pursuit of Happiness and Sky Might Fall are the big standouts for me so far. I want to go through the album a few more gos before I am sure though.

Heart Of A Lion will be added to your list, i predict.

little video of him freestyling, sounds good imo
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhllh57T7fB60UvTc5

slightly off topic: i downloaded Drake - So Far Gone and listened to that. extremely unimpressed. this is why i dont listen to mixtapes usually. the beats are so boring to me because they almost always use "classic" hip hop beat styles that dont really interest me.

couldnt even focus on his actual skill because i was so bored by the beat :lol will continue to give him a chance though. im thinking his real CD will be much better. i wasnt a huge fan of Cudi's mix tapes either and now look at me.

Jay Sosa

ant1532 said:
your a fool for saying the bolded. yeah dont rap at all if your not trying to be the best... LOL. hes rapping to make good music. some rappers focus to hard on their lyricsand thier music just flat out is garbage.

I think you misundertood me, I'm not saying he shouldn't rap because he has some flaws or his rhymeschemes are very basic. He just shouldn't rap if he
"isnt trying to be a good rapper. isnt that obvious?"

EDIT: Just to be clear: If he's making this kinda music (Hip Hop/Rap) he should atleast TRY to be a good rapper (Nobody blames him if he isn't spitting complex verses and abstract metaphors, atleast not me).

I agree that some rappers rely way too much on theyr technical skills, I also rather listen too someone who isn't that nice on the mic but has interesting lyrics or is funny (like Mannie Fresh)

Ashhong

Jay Sosa said:
I think you misundertood me, I'm not saying he shouldn't rap because he has some flaws or his rhymeschemes are very basic. He just shouldn't rap if he

I agree that some rappers rely way too much on theyr technical skills, I also rather listen too someone who isn't that nice on the mic but has interesting lyrics or is funny (like Mannie Fresh)

i think what he meant was that hes not trying to be something hes not. hes not trying to change his style and focus on being the best rapper, hes using what hes got. no reason not to rap with that attitude, unless of course he was like the William Hung of rap.

Jay Sosa

Seems that I was misunderstanding him, maybe he should've wrote he's not trying to be a better rapper. It just sounded to me like he knows he sucks (which he does not imho) and is cool with it.

Ashhong

Jay Sosa said:
Seems that I was misunderstanding him, maybe he should've wrote he's not trying to be a better rapper. It just sounded to me like he knows he sucks (which he does not imho) and is cool with it.

yea just a misunderstanding. if anything he meant "hes not trying to be an awesome rapper".

have had this album on repeat almost all day. cant wait till i see him perform in a couple of weeks, hes coming by to a local uni :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm a big Cudi fan and on the first time through I can't really say I am digging it too much. The second half of the album is better than the first to me. As usual, I will give it 5-6 full plays before making a judgement.

near

Gold Member
Jay Sosa said:

EDIT: Just to be clear: If he's making this kinda music (Hip Hop/Rap) he should atleast TRY to be a good rapper (Nobody blames him if he isn't spitting complex verses and abstract metaphors, atleast not me).

Does this even make sense? How can you deduce if he isn't trying to be a good rapper or not without thinking he isn't rapping? When he clearly is.

Bishman

enzo_gt said:
Its not always like that, sometimes its legit interest because they are a bit different than the norm. CuDi has blown up and so has Drake, but I like them both for different reasons than their mainstream appeal. CuDi for his soulful raps and Drake cause he can spit, not cause of that Best I Ever Had stuff.

Tupac = Still my favourite rapper.
Yeah I can understand that point of view. It is real hard for me to listen to Cudi because he can't spit like you mention.

karasu said:
But he's right.
Nope. That is his opinion.

I've listened to his album 4 times and simply can't get into it. The production is amazing but I can't get into the songs because Kid Cudi can't rap.

Ashhong

MercuryLS said:
I'm loving the shit out of this album, can't wait to buy the deluxe edition. Support good music people.

this. i will admit i dont buy many albums, but i will buy this. i hope bestbuy has it for 9.99 like 808s

Epcott

Heard his full album today... the way Gaf hyped this guy up, made him seem like something great.

Instead, I get the feeling he's jacking Kanye's style from 808 & Heartbreaks without the autotune :lol

I mean, he's not really singing, but just walking through songs without barely any harmony... hell, not much effort in that. But the music production is beautiful, I'll give it that much. Actually, I'll listen to it more since I love good beats and composition, too bad it wouldn't be for his lyrics or singing... talking, or whatever.

A few songs were great, but most were pretty bland. It also reminded me a tiny bit of Consequence, but not as backpackish.

(Unrelated: I would rate The current Hip Hop releases as...
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II - Vodka, oldskool Wu with modern lyrics
The Blueprint 3 - Long Island Ice Tea, sneaks up on you, seems fruity at first. Very futuristic vibe and more into "next" than oldskool.
Foundation - Imported Beer, a cut above whats out there now. Best M.O.P. I've heard in a very long time... but near the end it falls short.
Man on the Moon: The End of Day - Koolaid... not really hip hop, not really pop, not exactly rap... I don't know what this is... it's ok, mainstream will forget the taste in a year.

grkazan12 said:
you gotta love the beat that ratatat did for the album
You gotta love Ratatat, period. Became one of my favorite bands of all time, when I didn't think anyone could touch the likes of Floyd... (in the amount I like them, that is)

outsidah

Ashhong said:
wait have you never heard of Lupe period? definitely check out The Cool

youtube Hip Hop Saved My Life, my favorite track

Enjoying Lupe, thanks for the info. I'll go through it good tomorrow at work.

Still loving Cudi as well. Finally listed to BP3 twice this weekend... nothing mind blowing, just sounded like more JayZ to me (which isn't a bad thing). It didnt do anything special for me though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm loving this album. I've been going back to it all day since acquiring it a few days ago and it's seriously becoming a new favorite.

Some stand out tracks for myself:

Soundtrack 2 My Life
Simple As... (This has been stuck in my head for a few hours now)
Heart of A Lion
Enter Galactic
Cudi Zone
Hyyerr

Like I said though the whole album is something really really special.
I even like this slow flow and it just seems genuine. Something about his lyrics feels so heartfelt and alive.

Most of the album really sounds like N.E.R.D to me. it's thw flow and the style of the beats i think. It's on the boundaries of hardcore rap mixed with kanye.

wenis said:
I'm loving this album. I've been going back to it all day since acquiring it a few days ago and it's seriously becoming a new favorite.

Some stand out tracks for myself:

Soundtrack 2 My Life
Simple As... (This has been stuck in my head for a few hours now)
Heart of A Lion
Enter Galactic
Cudi Zone
Hyyerr

Like I said though the whole album is something really really special.
I even like this slow flow and it just seems genuine. Something about his lyrics feels so heartfelt and alive.

Absolutely Agree...add Pursuit of Hapiness and Is there any Love? to that list as well. Awesome track!

Ashhong

Revelations said:
Absolutely Agree...add Pursuit of Hapiness and Is there any Love? to that list as well. Awesome track!

what is Is There Any Love? *googles

and dont know about FYE, but Bestbuy should have it in stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom