• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising announced for 3DS (AKA: Project Sora) [N-CONF]

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Twig said:
One the one hand: game looks fucking fantastic. It seemed like the perfect game for 3D, with all the flying around and shit.

On the other: Sakurai. I wanted him to work on a new franchise! Oh well.

Dude, it's Kid Icarus.

It might as well be a new franchise.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jigsaw said:
the graphics look kinda underwhelming,i mean we were told it can do nearly ps360 graphics and now?its way below psp standards

game looks cool though, <3 kid icarus
The fuck? What PSP games have you been playing? Because I'd sure like to see better graphics than that on my PSP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Twig said:
One the one hand: game looks fucking fantastic. It seemed like the perfect game for 3D, with all the flying around and shit.

It practically is a new franchise. And beyond that, he single-handedly crafted the modern version of Pit and the Kid Icarus universe when he made Brawl.

GCX

Iwata really like to keep Sakurai happy.

I mean, he was probably the first to develop for 3DS hardware. And the trailer music is orchestrated.

TheKyle07

Twig said:

I was kind of disappointed when Iwata said that Project Sora's game would be based on an existing franchise. Then I realized that that franchise was Kid Icarus!

Twig

Banned
Andrex said:
It practically is a new franchise. And beyond that, he single-handedly crafted the modern version of Pit and the Kid Icarus universe when he made Brawl.
Not new enough.

But!

Irrelevant, because I'm still excited.

EDIT: Ugh this adoration you people have for Sakurai. Single-handedly? Horf. He was the lead of a talented team of developers.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Twig said:
Not new enough.

But!

Irrelevant, because I'm still excited.

EDIT: Ugh this adoration you people have for Sakurai. Single-handedly? Horf. He was the lead of a talented team of developers.

Sakurai has never made a bad game. Sure, he has fucked up in some elements (Brawl's online and character roster), but all his games are great. Which is more than I can say about Miyamoto, Kojima, or even companies like Treasure.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
flipping_heck said:
Graphics look amazing!!!
Media as it comes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN2qRz0tWko

5c0cv5.jpg

LOL!!

Twig

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Sakurai has never made a bad game. Sure, he has fucked up in some elements (Brawl's online and character roster), but all his games are great. Which is more than I can say about Miyamoto, Kojima, or even companies like Treasure.
Irrelevant! He didn't single-handedly craft the modern Kid Icarus. I would be surprised if he played a bigger part than "I'd like Pit in this game, please make him, no not like that more like this." And then tossed out a scene idea or two for Pit's role in the story mode.

Also: I like Sakurai. Quite a bit. But give credit where credit's due.

(If you have evidence to the contrary, then that's pretty cool, too! Knowing my luck, there probably is evidence somewhere.)

Anyway. KID ICARUS! YAY!

I couldn't believe how beautiful this game looked. The trailer pumped me up, too! Also, I can't believe this was Project Sora :eek: Goddamn.

Freezie KO said:
Mid-air and on-land combat
- fly to different locales

Shooting gameplay

Controls like Metroid Prime Hunter.
Move with Slide Panel
L-button attacks (sorry, maybe dodges, and then stylus shoots)
Aim with stylus

Sakurai: "niche genre, accessible controls"
- Talks about making shooters accessible like he made fighters accessible with SSB

FUCK

lyre

Freezie KO said:
Shooting gameplay

Controls like Metroid Prime Hunter.
- Move with Slide Panel
L-button attacks (sorry, maybe dodges, and then stylus shoots)
Aim with stylus
As I feared, this (and a lotta 3DS games) will be unplayable to me.

Here's hoping for an option for face button movement.

Fantastical said:
I don't understand why people are saying this is ugly or disappointing visually. I think it looks fantastic!

because we saw other games that looks better (resident evil game or MGS come to mind), it looks really good, really, sometimes looks better than most PS2 launch games,but looking the other demos and what effects pushed, this looks underwhlming, actually all Nintendo games seems like 2 steps below of the third party efforts.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Relaxed Muscle said:
because we saw other games that looks better (resident evil game or MGS come to mind), it looks really good, really, sometimes looks better than most PS2 launch games,but looking the other demos and what effects pushed, this looks underwhlming, actually all Nintendo games seems like 2 steps below of the third party efforts.
Do we actually have gameplay images of Resident Evil? I would agree that those look better, but there were some good effects in that trailer, and I think a lot of the character models looked very smooth.

Twig

Banned
Man, that sucks for you left-handers. Seriously.

this is why I completely expected dual-analog or no analog at all on the 3DS. Man that sucks. \:

Fantastical said:
Do we actually have gameplay images of Resident Evil? I would agree that those look better, but there were some good effects in that trailer, and I think a lot of the character models looked very smooth.

No, but we have realtime images,(you could move the camera, so they were being rendered by the console) that shouldn't be that far from gameplay.

I failed to see the "fun" in that trailer gameplay wise. Reminds me of Lair, just flying around impressive looking environments and the gameplay boiling down to shooting stuff.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
You can tell that it's made for 3D and the gameplay a lot like S&P which is a good thing. I can't wait to play it! Best E3 ever!

This game looks awesome, but it's also a reminder why I'm against voice acting in these types of games. Some people may find it "immersive", but I think it's grating and unnecessary. I pray it can be toggled off.

1-D_FTW

I'm not sure those VO's are actually in-game.

I didn't notice it the during the conference, but the trailer starts out with "Sorry to keep you waiting so long!" :lol I think it might have just been some campy lines playing on the fact he's been MIA since the 8-bit days.

Masked Man

I said wow
Lead Farmer said:
I failed to see the "fun" in that trailer gameplay wise. Reminds me of Lair, just flying around impressive looking environments and the gameplay boiling down to shooting stuff.

A lot of the shooting portions looked more like the games in the Sin & Punishment series, which are incredibly fun.

SAKURAIII does not disappoint.

gogojira

My heart about skipped a beat when I put the pieces together and knew it was Kid Icarus. Admittedly when the gameplay was shown, I was a little let down with its flight shooter/ground combat hybrid form.

Then came the realization that it looks fantastic and it's just nice to see Pit back in action -- I've been waiting for this for fucking years. If anything, Nintendo proves to be a company not opposed to changing up the genre, so maybe I'll get the classic adventure/platformer I was hoping for one day.

Count me in for this one though, I'll do anything to ensure we get more Kid Icarus. With Sakurai behind it, I knew I'd love the art style -- he nailed the Kid Icarus theme in Brawl.

A couple cool things worth noting: Pit is charging up in a sauna-like pool of water similar to his NES days, and of course, EGGPLANT WIZARD!

There was some platforming, too, but it's obvious it won't be too prevalent.

Top Bottom