• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising announced for 3DS (AKA: Project Sora) [N-CONF]

Tom_Cody

Wow.

Kid Icarus revamp.

Which is in reality the spiritual successor to Star Fox 64

That is the secret project Sakurai has been working on since he finished Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

On the 3DS.

!!!

Tom_Cody

Sirius said:
This is the stuff of dreams...

333ejc5.jpg

Thank you thank you ohhhh thank you Sakurai..
Oh god...

The clouds and the sunset...

I actually hated Kid Icarus, but man i'd lie if i say i didn't like this trailer.

unlike the original game, this actually looks pretty good.

In Sakurai I trust!

InfiniteNine said:
I WANT TO PLAY AS GREEN HAIRED LADY

Medusa looks amazing.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I can't believe I'm saying this but I want to play this more than Zelda. Looks amazing.

Such an amazing reveal, and a perfect fit to show off the 3DS. I think his Brawl design is terrific, I'm really glad to see it again.

Watching the trailer again, I definitely got an S&P vibe from it. I consider that a very good thing. I wonder how the slashing is done. Maybe just a swipe of the stylus when enemies are close?

I also got weird sense of the flying as if with the Red Star Mario in Galaxy or Flying Cap Mario from 64. It looked that way from the scene where Pit is dodging the incoming lasers and he can move in any direction, like a 3D platformer, including towards the screen. (which of course makes it ideal for the 3D gimmick)

Hopefully, if the hardware isn't finalized, they amend a way for lefties to play the game.

Holy crap this looks awesome. I hate the original game, but this new one looks so freaking awesome! OMG Nintendo why didn't you give us a release date for the 3DS ;-;

mantidor

The most amazing thing is that we can't see the 3D, but the gifs just give you a hint, watching all those lasers shooting literally right at you is going to be mindblowing.

Not that I care any more because as a lefty I doubt I will be able to control this game :mad:

JDSN

Banned
Eh, It looks good but im dissapointed that this is Project Sora, the whole point of the thing is to make great innovating games, this looks like something Next Level games would do while guided by Nintendo.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Hot diggity daffodil, am I excited about this game. If Nintendo wanted to sell me a 3DS, this was a fine game with which to do it. I'll be there day one now.

The graphics, the music...some awesome. It even warrants a temporary avatar change, methinks.

WillyFive

JDSN said:
Eh, It looks good but im dissapointed that this is Project Sora, the whole point of the thing is to make great innovating games, this looks like something Next Level games would do while guided by Nintendo.

How do you know this game isn't innovative?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Whoa, I can't wait to see this trailer in 3D. This looks like a lot of fun. The 3DS has an insanely good lineup so far.

JDSN

Banned
Willy105 said:
How do you know this game isn't innovative?

Oh, bad wording, what I meant is that Sora is made so they can make games that Nintendo cant make:

"The thoughts of game designer Masahiro Sakurai and Nintendo have become one, and a new project has started. In order to expand what can be offered to the world through games, we will have Nintendo's full cooperation and make something that Nintendo could not do on its own."

This looks like a Nintendo game or something they would do with a second party, I wasnt exactly expecting Dudebro 4, but they even used an old IP.

Twig

Banned
JDSN said:
Oh, bad wording, what I meant is that Sora is made so they can make games that Nintendo cant make:

"The thoughts of game designer Masahiro Sakurai and Nintendo have become one, and a new project has started. In order to expand what can be offered to the world through games, we will have Nintendo's full cooperation and make something that Nintendo could not do on its own."

This looks like a Nintendo game or something they would do with a second party, I wasnt exactly expecting Dudebro 4, but they even used an old IP.
Don't worry, I got your back. Game looks great (and I mean, I really, really fucking love the way this game looks), but I was a little disappointed that THIS was what Project Sora decided to work on.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dragona Akehi said:

Yeah uh, I'm kinda wondering how this is going to affect us lefties. The design isn't final yet, but thing's aren't looking so good for us.

KevinCow

Banned
So is this on-rails or what? Some parts look like it, but others look like you have full control. Maybe a bit of both?

Also wonder if this is going to be a sequel, remake, or total reboot.

Man, I'm really curious to hear more on this game.

JDSN said:
Oh, bad wording, what I meant is that Sora is made so they can make games that Nintendo cant make
Alot of people thought when that statement was made that "we know as soon as the project will get unveiled, we'll say 'sheesh is THIS what Nintendo couldn't make???" and i was one of them.

JDSN

Banned
SilverLunar said:
Alot of people thought when that statement was made that "we know as soon as the project will get unveiled, we'll say 'sheesh is THIS what Nintendo couldn't make???" and i was one of them.
Considering all the troubles they went through getting Sakurai back, who quit the company in the first place cos they were doing the same old good thing, I wasnt expecting an extremely traditional game based on an old ip to be game.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
JDSN said:
Considering all the troubles they went through getting Sakurai back, who quit the company in the first place cos they were doing the same old good thing, I wasnt expecting an extremely traditional game based on an old ip to be game.

How do you know it's extremely traditional? There isn't much clue in the trailer exactly how the gameplay will work.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The art is actually pretty good on this.. those are solid Nintendo characters :D

KevinCow

Banned
Pit seems to have a surprisingly extensive arsenal in this game. In the trailer, I see:

- Giant cannon
- Some sort of machine gun
- Claws
- Some sort of rifle
- Bow

It also seems like every weapon has both a close- and long-range mode. Claws seem to be able to shoot, rifle looks like it turns into a sword, and the bow of course splits into two swords like in Brawl.

Boney

Banned
KevinCow said:
Pit seems to have a surprisingly extensive arsenal in this game. In the trailer, I see:

- Giant cannon
- Some sort of machine gun
- Claws
- Some sort of rifle
- Bow

It also seems like every weapon has both a close- and long-range mode. Claws seem to be able to shoot, rifle looks like it turns into a sword, and the bow of course splits into two swords like in Brawl.
There's a motherfuckin Hammer!! <3

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Why does anyone care about this?

It is an IP based off of a terrible original game that has been latched onto by the internet for whatever reason.

Hopefully the game is good, but I have no idea why this IP is being reborn.

Why not Gyromite?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
JDSN said:

Based on what? The previous game was a strange platformer/RPG/maze game.

This is pretty much a blank slate IP other than a character with wings. No real story.. no real background... at this point there isn't even any gameplay that would be directly transferable to anything made today.

This is essentially like jumping from Donkey Kong to Mario Galaxy. The final game can literally be anything they want.

I am baffled by this, but I guess the internet has begged for it for some unknown reason for years. Hopefully it is good, but I doubt it will have anything to do with a crazy hard vertical platformer that turns into a harder maze game and then into a super easy side scroller with rudimentary "RPG" elements.

I mean.. it looks like modern 3d Zelda's with flying bits. What does that have to do with Kid Icarus? I really really question if the people excited for this are old enough to have or played the original.

Game looks good but I fail to see how it's another real entry to the series (action/adventure/platformer). Looks like a mythological S&P. Hopefully I'm proven wrong and it still retains its adventure roots at least. Shit, I mean it happened with Prime and that was glorious.

StoOgE said:
Why does anyone care about this?

It is an IP based off of a terrible original game that has been latched onto by the internet for whatever reason.

Hopefully the game is good, but I have no idea why this IP is being reborn.

Why not Gyromite?

Who cares, it looks cool!

Top Bottom