• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising announced for 3DS (AKA: Project Sora) [N-CONF]

Wow. That character art is great. I kinda hated the Brawl redesign for Pit, but in that character art it totally works. Maybe it's his proportions.

This is the game that took Nintendo's show IMO. This and DK: Return look waaaaaay better than the fugly new Zelda.

I might be picking up my first portable since the GBA because of this game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mr Sandman said:
Game looks good but I fail to see how it's another real entry to the series (action/adventure/platformer). Looks like a mythological S&P. Hopefully I'm proven wrong and it still retains its adventure roots at least. Shit, I mean it happened with Prime and that was glorious.

What adventure roots?

The original games are so rudimentary in nature at this point that it's hard to figure out what it would have evolved into if it weren't dropped.

This is basically a way for them to slap an IP on whatever the hell they want to make without anyone really being able to complain.

The game looks good, but to this day I can't figure out why anyone finds value in this IP out of all the old (better) IPs Nintendo has dumped over the years.

leroidys

StoOgE said:
What adventure roots?

The original games are so rudimentary in nature at this point that it's hard to figure out what it would have evolved into if it weren't dropped.

This is basically a way for them to slap an IP on whatever the hell they want to make without anyone really being able to complain.

The game looks good, but to this day I can't figure out why anyone finds value in this IP out of all the old (better) IPs Nintendo has dumped over the years.

Stooge is back trolling Kid Icarus, great. Gyromites is factually not as good as the two kid icarus games.

StoOgE said:

Nostalgia. The same reason people still buy new iterations of any classic franchise.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Great Trailer. Can't wait.

Firs thing I thought of during the "You Only have 5 minutes of flight"

01.jpg

Galang

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
I WANT TO PLAY AS GREEN HAIRED LADY

Would like to play as Palutena! :D

Medusa's redesign is really good as well as the character art, characters actually feel memorable.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Whoever pointed out that the song used in the trailer sounds like an anime intro, I just wanna say you're right. <3

I love this trailer so so much.

KevinCow said:
I feel like there's a Nintendogs quote here.

Also, just realized: The two-headed dog is Twinbellows, the first boss from the original Kid Icarus.

5le7v7.png

On that note, the boss immediately after him is most definitely the Grim Reaper.

StoOgE said:
Why does anyone care about this?

It is an IP based off of a terrible original game that has been latched onto by the internet for whatever reason.

Hopefully the game is good, but I have no idea why this IP is being reborn.

Why not Gyromite?

Based on what? The previous game was a strange platformer/RPG/maze game.

This is pretty much a blank slate IP other than a character with wings. No real story.. no real background... at this point there isn't even any gameplay that would be directly transferable to anything made today.

This is essentially like jumping from Donkey Kong to Mario Galaxy. The final game can literally be anything they want.

I am baffled by this, but I guess the internet has begged for it for some unknown reason for years. Hopefully it is good, but I doubt it will have anything to do with a crazy hard vertical platformer that turns into a harder maze game and then into a super easy side scroller with rudimentary "RPG" elements.

I mean.. it looks like modern 3d Zelda's with flying bits. What does that have to do with Kid Icarus? I really really question if the people excited for this are old enough to have or played the original.

I own both games. Yes, plural. In fact, I played them recently (or a year ago) when the rumors first started popping up about Kid Icarus coming back.

The vertical platforming was challenging, but never unfair. It was a unique way to structure a platformer, and one of the things that made it difficult was the basic combat. As you'd jump up, you'd always be confronted with enemies, whether the dripping slimes, eyeballs, or even the grim reapers.

This actually made combat an integral part of the experience, as opposed to a platformer like Super Mario Bros. You had your arrows, flaming arrows, hammers, and those little crystals that would circle you. It had bosses and a life meter. It definitely took some fast twitches to get around enemies sometimes, and other times you might have to run through the wrap-around level, another unique mechanic.

I'm not really a big adventure gamer, so I never really got into Metroid or Zelda. For me, Kid Icarus let me enjoy my action, platforming, and shooting without having to backtrack or slog through unenjoyable puzzles. My least favorite parts of the games were the mazes. Also, you may question if people have played the original, but have you? If you have, you'd realize that the last level is essentially a shmup.

I liked the original, and honestly, when I heard Factor 5 was going to do it, I thought that was unfortunate. I didn't like the idea, and if the game was bad, I certainly wouldn't have bought it out of some nostalgia. Is Kid Icarus: Uprising different than the original? Sure. I'm excited because it's Sakurai, who usually directs pretty damn good games. And the Greek myth setting is always fun.

Is this essentially a blank slate IP? Sure again, but it's not like they turned it into a puzzle game or a JRPG. This game doesn't seem to depart that much in gameplay styling. It seems to take from the shmup aspects of flying through the last level. You have to dodge things, fly around, and shoot enemies. Okay, that's what you do in this game in the air levels.

And the land levels you have a mix of close and ranged combat using a variety of weapons. Hammers, bows and arrows, etc. Maybe these weapons are even upgradable, like the original, thus meshing the shmup, combat, and RPG-lite elements of Kid Icarus.

Okay, you didn't like the original. Good for you. But having played the originals, why do I care? Because I did enjoy the originals, because this seems to retain some of the spirit of the originals, and because this is a trusted, talented developer. What's not to like, really?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EmCeeGramr said:
OH, I get the project name now.

Because that's who they're turning Pit into.

Hey, at least he doesn't get to hang out with a retarded oversized dog and a duck with speaking problems.

likeGdid

Freezie KO said:
I own both games. Yes, plural. In fact, I played them recently (or a year ago) when the rumors first started popping up about Kid Icarus coming back.

The vertical platforming was challenging, but never unfair. It was a unique way to structure a platformer, and one of the things that made it difficult was the basic combat. As you'd jump up, you'd always be confronted with enemies, whether the dripping slimes, eyeballs, or even the grim reapers.

This actually made combat an integral part of the experience, as opposed to a platformer like Super Mario Bros. You had your arrows, flaming arrows, hammers, and those little crystals that would circle you. It had bosses and a life meter. It definitely took some fast twitches to get around enemies sometimes, and other times you might have to run through the wrap-around level, another unique mechanic.

I'm not really a big adventure gamer, so I never really got into Metroid or Zelda. For me, Kid Icarus let me enjoy my action, platforming, and shooting without having to backtrack or slog through unenjoyable puzzles. My least favorite parts of the games were the mazes. Also, you may question if people have played the original, but have you? If you have, you'd realize that the last level is essentially a shmup.

I liked the original, and honestly, when I heard Factor 5 was going to do it, I thought that was unfortunate. I didn't like the idea, and if the game was bad, I certainly wouldn't have bought it out of some nostalgia. Is Kid Icarus: Uprising different than the original? Sure. I'm excited because it's Sakurai, who usually directs pretty damn good games. And the Greek myth setting is always fun.

Is this essentially a blank slate IP? Sure again, but it's not like they turned it into a puzzle game or a JRPG. This game doesn't seem to depart that much in gameplay styling. It seems to take from the shmup aspects of flying through the last level. You have to dodge things, fly around, and shoot enemies. Okay, that's what you do in this game in the air levels.

And the land levels you have a mix of close and ranged combat using a variety of weapons. Hammers, bows and arrows, etc. Maybe these weapons are even upgradable, like the original, thus meshing the shmup, combat, and RPG-lite elements of Kid Icarus.

Okay, you didn't like the original. Good for you. But having played the originals, why do I care? Because I did enjoy the originals, because this seems to retain some of the spirit of the originals, and because this is a trusted, talented developer. What's not to like, really?

Having played through the first, I do agree with these points. I personally liked the platforming in the first (and was hoping to see it in the trailer).

I'm still unsure of just how much it retains of the original. Aside from the obvious, I only recognized the reviving hot-spring that showed up for a split second. Also curious about centurions showing up

Ferga

I would have never imagined any graphics that looked even similar to Kid Icarus on the DS in the next 3-5 years.

I am absolutely stunned

KevinCow

Banned
Freezie KO said:

Just to clarify: This isn't a Factor 5 game. This is being made by a new team lead by Sakurai. The Factor 5 game was a pitch that was never greenlit.

KevinCow said:
Just to clarify: This isn't a Factor 5 game. This is being made by a new team lead by Sakurai. The Factor 5 game was a pitch that was never greenlit.

Right. Sorry if that was unclear. The other poster was saying that some of us were only excited by nostalgia. I was trying to make the distinction that when I heard F5 was doing it, I wasn't excited. Now that I see the project and know it's Sakurai and Sora, I am excited.

Starchasing said:
Also because Icarus itself its a bad ass character...

how many people bitching now that Icarus is not a Nintendo character???

So continuity-wise, are you suggesting that this is the same Icarus that flies too close to the Sun, his false wings melt, and he falls to his death in the sea? I think Nintendo might disagree with that one.

thefro

Starchasing said:
Also because Icarus itself its a bad ass character...

how many people bitching now that Icarus is not a Nintendo character???

The character is named Pit (an angel who can't normally fly)... as mentioned in the Iwata Asks on the E3 Nintendo site, "Icarus" doesn't even appear in the Japanese title of the game.

Now, Sakurai seems to have drawn on the Icarus myth for his re-imagining of the character. Pit's cocky in the new game and his wings will burn up if he flies for more than 5 minutes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
mostly posting to subscribe to thread, but hot damn does this look great. i love that nintendo seems to be giving some of these ressurrected ip's new life on 3ds. perfect way to give them a chance to build fanbases again without breaking the bank.

KevinCow

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I hope the game doesn't play like S&P. I want my platforming, adventure, rpg hybrid Kid Icarus. :(

It looks like the ground levels will have full control. I'm guessing it'll be a mix of on-rails flight and full-control ground combat. Haven't seen anything to suggest it'll have platforming, though.

Haters gonna hate. Kid Icarus was one of my favorite game on the NES before I saw it was popular on the internets. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but as many have said, it was never unfair. I was ballsucking hard, but you could get very good at this game.

I hope this one turns out to be ridiculously hard as well, to keep with the spirit of the former games.

jarosh

i noticed that no one actually posted any proper pics in this thread.

so i uploaded all the pics from the press kit (converted to jpg, cropped out the useless/blank bottom screen, least amount of compression possible)

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss24_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss23_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss22_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss21_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss20_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss19_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss18_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss17_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss16_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss15_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss14_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss13_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss12_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss11_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss10_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss09_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss08_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss07_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss06_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss05_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss04_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss03_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_01ss02_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_01ss01_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss25_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_00ssHW_E3.jpg

Nessus

Big Icarus said:
Nostalgia. The same reason people still buy new iterations of any classic franchise.

It's not just nostalgia.

I replayed Kid Icarus recently and actually was surprised at the surprising depth that I had missed as a kid.

I played it after replaying RE4, and the weapons upgrade system almost reminded me of RE4's, actually. As you upgraded the strength of your arrows, etc., gained more life, and that's all without even being aware of the very weird and complex system the game used to determine upgrades.

It manages to be an interesting blend of vertical platformer (of which there are few) and horizontal shooter.

The original had a great atmosphere, I thought, due to the black background which made everything feel just a little more malevolent while you were in the Underworld. Then you emerge into the light and the contrast with the blue skies is great. Then it's night as you ascend to retake Palutena's palace, with Medusa's forces defending it, recreating that malevolent feel.

It could be a frustrating game if you were used to other games that were more forgiving with their jumps. Once you treated each jump like it could be fatal, I found the game really gelled. The main thing I took away from it was: the controls aren't bad, far from it. They're just not Mario.

I'm far from great at video games but I managed to beat the game without too much difficulty, something I never actually managed as a kid (I always used the 8uuuuuuu code).

And Nintendo's take on a vaguely Greek mythological setting in that game really was unique, the colours they use, prominent use of purples and reds, etc. it really is a fertile ground for resurrecting a franchise.

Now, does this describe Sakurai's game? It does sound like he shoehorned his pre-established idea onto an old franchise, and I'll be curious to see how much it actually feels like Kid Icarus.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm convinced this started out as a regular DS project.
That said, it was a damn exciting unveil.
I don't mind the comprehensive redesign in the least.
Classic Kid Icarus has aged about as poorly as Metroid 1, IMHO.

Merging SSB Brawl's art style with what looks like hardcore arcade shooter mechanics ala Star Fox 64 or Sin & Punishment is a recipe for potential perfection!

I'm really excited to try it out for myself, and if it winds up being a launch title.... BAM!

Boney

Banned
Mejilan said:
Merging SSB Brawl's art style with what looks like hardcore arcade shooter mechanics ala Star Fox 64 or Sin & Punishment is a recipe for potential perfection!

I'm really excited to try it out for myself, and if it winds up being a launch title.... BAM!
Winner!

Tom_Cody

jarosh said:
i noticed that no one actually posted any proper pics in this thread.

so i uploaded all the pics from the press kit (converted to jpg, cropped out the useless/blank bottom screen, least amount of compression possible)
If there were ever a game that looks better in motion, this is it. Boy, screen shots do not flatter this game.

This one still stands out though:

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss11_E3.jpg

I can't wait to see this on the actual hardware. The visuals seem to have been designed to make use of the 3D display.

Tom_Cody

Akainu said:
So is this a shooter?
It is a mix or StarFox-esque flying segments with ground stages and boss battles. It's unclear at this point how the ground stages and boss battles will work.

While I'm insanely happy to FINALLY see a Kid Icarus sequel (seriously, Nintendo, WTF on how long it's taken?), this game SCREAMS to have been put on the Wii. But hey, I'll take any new update I can get at this point.

Twig

Banned
Nessus said:
It's not just nostalgia.
I agree with your entire post. I didn't even play it as a kid. I played it for the first time on VC and really enjoyed it.

But, amusingly enough, that appears to be entirely irrelevant now. This Kid Icarus is completely different in basically every way.

Those screens look fucking great. Holy damn.

Top Bottom