• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising announced for 3DS (AKA: Project Sora) [N-CONF]

My jaw was on the floor as this game was announced and shown. I can't believe this game is real, I can't believe this is what Project Sora turned out to be, I can't believe it's for 3DS, and lastly I can't believe how freaking good it looks! Personally this was far and away the biggest announcement of E3, though for people less familiar with the history and games I can understand why it's not quite as exciting. Nintendo really delivered something special at this E3, and I will be right there day one to play a new Kid Icarus game!

seady said:
Can't say I am a fan of the artstyle. It looks kind of flat. I never liked it from SSBB, and they simply paste the whole design back here. It looks like something coming out from a SquareEnix's second-tier RPG.

Actually it reminds me of Kingdom Hearts.

I'm going to have to agree with you here. The art is pretty damn ugly.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
3DS_KidIcarus_01illu01_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_02char01_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_03char02_E3.jpg

3DS_KidIcarus_04char03_E3.jpg

Fuck you guys the art is teh awesum.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I hope Medusa is a playable character on Super Smash Bros. 5. It almost seems like Sakurai designed her specifically for that.:D

Branduil

I think the graphics may be somewhat unfinished. Look at Medusa in the trailer, the snakes on her head are almost completely undetailed. They don't look anything like that art there.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
At first I wasn't super-wowed by this but then I remembered Sakurai is heading the project. Should be amazing. I love the part when pit does an action roll and shoots a rainbow blast thing.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING MAKE A SMASH BROS 3DS SAKURAIIII (with proper online please)

harriet the spy said:

Maybe it's an acquired taste, but as many have said, it was never unfair. I was ballsucking hard, but you could get very good at this game.

I hope this one turns out to be ridiculously hard as well, to keep with the spirit of the former games.
:lol :lol :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Regulus Tera said:
Fuck you guys the art is teh awesum.

The art screams "classic Nintendo characters" in a way I haven't seen since the 16-bit days... Probably because Icarus himself was never updated beyond simplistic NES cartoon art. (Brawl aside). It'd be like if Link never evolved beyond his stubby and cartoony original manual art.

Nintendo doesn't make characters like this anymore.... but at least they brought em back in style!

superbank said:
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING MAKE A SMASH BROS 3DS SAKURAIIII (with proper online please)
You know the man hates sequels.

Just port Melee with an updated roster, online, and 3D. Done.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Ignis Fatuus said:

Yeah I know, but still! A port with proper online would be good too but if Iwata forces him into it again I'll turn a blind eye. =I

Back on topic: Yay Kid "Wicarus" /Iwata

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ignis Fatuus said:

Fuck this shit, port Brawl.

With the missing Melee characters and some extra ones, natch.

Masked Man

I said wow
Jason's Ultimatum said:
The art is pretty damn ugly.

ny_turn.gif

Um, no. The character art is extremely detailed and looks gorgeous. I only hope that the in-game models come to resemble the art more closely.

Regulus Tera said:
I hope Medusa is a playable character on Super Smash Bros. 5. It almost seems like Sakurai designed her specifically for that.:D

I could see her more as an Assist Trophy or a Boss, but I certainly wouldn't complain about more Medusa. As per usual, Sakurai once again showcases his genius. <3

ILikeFeet

Banned
I actually liked the voice acting. it wasn't cheesy and it fit the characters really well.

also, Palutena looks kind of short in her art. hope her model isn't that badly proportioned

her model makes her and Medusa look much hotter :D

Ranger X

Actually the game looks like something that Starfox game by Namco that was on gamecube in the mean there are both linear flying/shoot segments and "on ground" 3D segments.

HOWEVER, I hope that to the contrary of Starfox Assault this game here will be good.

Ranger X said:
Actually the game looks like something that Starfox game by Namco that was on gamecube in the mean there are both linear flying/shoot segments and "on ground" 3D segments.

HOWEVER, I hope that to the contrary of Starfox Assault this game here will be good.

Dead Phoenix?

Kind of, only KI looks a lost smoother.

Akai

ILikeFeet said:
I actually liked the voice acting. it wasn't cheesy and it fit the characters really well.

"Bark like a dog" isn't cheesy? :lol

But that line is obviously purposely cheesy, and I hope Pit has more cocky one-liners like that...

Palutena's voice was also great...

Andrex said:
Super Smash Bros. 5?

Wasn't Brawl technically Super Smash Bros. 3?

Speaking of, now that we're getting games like MGS and Paper Mario on handhelds, I really hope they decide to do a SSB game on the 3DS.
Imagine the effects when you knock someone into the screen.
:D

ILikeFeet

Banned
Akai said:
"Bark like a dog" isn't cheesy? :lol

But that line is obviously purposely cheesy, and I hope Pit has more cocky one-liners like that...

Palutena's voice was also great...

yea it was cheesy, but it worked :D

Neiteio

Scythesurge said:
My jaw was on the floor as this game was announced and shown. I can't believe this game is real, I can't believe this is what Project Sora turned out to be, I can't believe it's for 3DS, and lastly I can't believe how freaking good it looks! Personally this was far and away the biggest announcement of E3, though for people less familiar with the history and games I can understand why it's not quite as exciting. Nintendo really delivered something special at this E3, and I will be right there day one to play a new Kid Icarus game!
Same here. "Sorry to keep you waiting" will forever be engrained in my memory as one of those magical Nintendo moments. :)

The game looks like a lot of fun. The flight and ground controls look silky smooth. I wonder if this game will be mission-based? A mix of five-minute on-rails and all-range (see: laser defense) flight sequences followed by on-foot ground combat and boss battles.

In the Iwata Asks with Sakurai, he says you use the analog slider to move Pit, the L trigger to shoot and the stylus to move the camera. Sounds run-and-gun with "pointer" controls, using the stylus to move the camera to aim. I hope this doesn't become a palm-cramping affair like Metroid Prime Hunters...

The art design is top-notch. Classic characters like Eggplant Wizard, Twinbellows, Grim Reaper, Medusa and Palutena all look FANTASTIC. The weapon designs look fun, too. Shooting rainbows, whee!

And I have a good feeling the game's music will be orchestrated. Aside from the amazing riff on the main theme in the trailer, it's a Sakurai game. Whether it's a console game starring his creation Kirby or his latest work Smash Bros. Brawl, the music tends to be orchestral.

Speaking of Smash Bros...

Regulus Tera said:
Fuck this shit, port Brawl.

With the missing Melee characters and some extra ones, natch.
Agreed. They're porting Super Street Fighter IV, a 360/PS3 game, to the 3DS, so why not the Wii game Brawl? Expand the level creator, perfect the online, bring back at least Mewtwo, and add more of everything: characters, assist trophies, pokeballs, items, stages, music, music, MUSIC.

All in glorious 3D. On the go!

Ranger X said:

This is a Sakurai game. It will be quality.

camineet said:
I cannot wait to play this.

The best Nintendo reveals, like Kirby and Icarus, never leave me saying how good something looks or anything else. I'm just left with: "I cannot wait to play this."

ILikeFeet

Banned
Freezie KO said:
The best Nintendo reveals, like Kirby and Icarus, never leave me saying how good something looks or anything else. I'm just left with: "I cannot wait to play this."

and that's why they succeed (in my eyes anyway).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unfortunately this was probably the least impressive title, outside of Wii Party and Just Dance 2, from Nintendo's conference for me.

It looks like a lame mish-mash of ideas that are already established in other franchises owned by Nintendo, little referencing to the Kid Icarus playstyle of old, and terrible goofy dialogue.

Most people here seem to disagree, but thats how I feel. Waste of Sakurai's talent in my opinion, and a waste of the Kid Icarus franchise. They game will probably end up pretty good thankfully, all things considered, but boy did Nintendo pick a terribly unimpressive title (again, in my opinion) to premiere 3DS software.

Cmagus

Day 1 for me after seeing everything at E3 this is easily my game of the show it just looks like alot of fun.This has 100% sold me on a 3DS can't wait.

Gilby

BocoDragon said:
The art screams "kingdom hearts characters" in a way I haven't seen since the kingdom hearts days...

fixed :p

Really not a fan of Pit or Paletuna's design (the proportions and the hair SCREAM sqaure/kingdom hearts). Kinda digging Medusa's design though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Neiteio said:
Agreed. They're porting Super Street Fighter IV, a 360/PS3 game, to the 3DS, so why not the Wii game Brawl? Expand the level creator, perfect the online, bring back at least Mewtwo, and add more of everything: characters, assist trophies, pokeballs, items, stages, music, music, MUSIC.

... you mean they're porting an iPhone game, Street Fighter IV, to 3DS, right?

Door2Dawn

Banned
EatChildren said:
Unfortunately this was probably the least impressive title, outside of Wii Party and Just Dance 2, from Nintendo's conference for me.

It looks like a lame mish-mash of ideas that are already established in other franchises owned by Nintendo, little referencing to the Kid Icarus playstyle of old, and terrible goofy dialogue.

Most people here seem to disagree, but thats how I feel. Waste of Sakurai's talent in my opinion, and a waste of the Kid Icarus franchise. They game will probably end up pretty good thankfully, all things considered, but boy did Nintendo pick a terribly unimpressive title (again, in my opinion) to premiere 3DS software.
How do you know whats a waste of talent and what isn't? Do you know him personally?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Door2Dawn said:
How do you know whats a waste of talent and what isn't? Do you know him personally?

Did I claim to? No. I dont think Kid Icarus looks particuarly interesting or original, and thus in my opinion it is a waste of Sakurai's talent. I would have liked Project Sora to be something else.

Stumpokapow said:
The iPhone version of SFIV used sprite approximations of the 3D models and a limited character cast. The 3DS one seems to use 3D models and does the panning and zooming with the camera that the iPhone game did not (outside of bre-paked Ultra set-ups).

And we've already seen characters and costumes in SFIV3D that aren't in the iphone game, so...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Stumpokapow said:
Except the shots of the 3DS version seems to be using 3d models and 2d backgrounds to compensate.

The iPhone port, however, is entirely 2D, using captures of the 3D models as sprites.

Edit: Brutally beaten by ShockingAlberto :(

Top Bottom