• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising announced for 3DS (AKA: Project Sora) [N-CONF]

robor

God DAMN this game. I can't believe how good the fricken game looks. Love what I'm seeing when Kid is on foot too. That is some high octane action!

*EDIT*
Do we really need an excuse to justify this new Icarus with the original NES game? It's fucking Sakurai guys...

Jaruru

one of the best gaming memories in Famicom

it's surreal that Nintendo finally makes a sequel to this... *crying*

the 3DS title looks so diff from the original, can't wait to see more footage.

Lijik

A few years ago I had the idea to tackle VB homebrew with a Kid Icarus fangame
pit.png
This sprite was as far as I got :lol

I'm blown away that a new Kid Icarus is happening, and its going to be in 3D. This game just looks so goddamn great

Masked Man

I said wow
The game looks absolutely gorgeous. <3 Granted, the screenshots are a little rough in some cases, but the trailer is extremely fluid, and I can only imagine that seeing the game in motion is truly spectacular.

Some of my favorite examples of the beautifulness:

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss11_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss08_E3.jpg
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss25_E3.jpg

Welcome back, Pit.

3DS_KidIcarus_02ss14_E3.jpg

I love you SAKURAIII<33

Isn't it funny how we had a topic asking if we'd see Project Sora this year, and everyone was like "No way! Too soon!"

AND THEN BAM!
Blown away.
Amazing.

upandaway

KevinCow said:
3DS_KidIcarus_02ss20_E3.jpg

I like the "WE ARE NOT AMUSED" expression on these guys.
Can't be a Sakurai game without giant eyeball enemies.

Think about this for a second. There seriously isn't a Sakurai game without one of these things.

[Nintex]

upandaway said:

Think about this for a second. There seriously isn't a Sakurai game without one of these things.
They're staring into Miyamoto's soul because he changed Kirby from yellow to pink. Sakurai won't forget, ever.

KevinCow

Banned
upandaway said:

Smash Bros. 64 and Melee.

Though to be fair, they're from the original game, not his creation.

Brannon

StoOgE said:
Why does anyone care about this?

It is an IP based off of a terrible original game that has been latched onto by the internet for whatever reason.

Hopefully the game is good, but I have no idea why this IP is being reborn.

Why not Gyromite?

Did you not hear the '80s butt rock anime music? That's game of the year material!

But seriously, the music did catch that string in my heart.

thefro

Danneee said:
Wait, why does Pit have a gun? Are there different weapons in the game?

Sakurai's just that badass.

Looks like there's some sort of lightsaber/gun thing, Wolverine-like claws that shoot lasers, and a rocket launcher, besides the dual swords/bow that was in Brawl.

Good catch by the way.

AceBandage said:
Isn't it funny how we had a topic asking if we'd see Project Sora this year, and everyone was like "No way! Too soon!"

AND THEN BAM!
Blown away.
Amazing.

IDK, wasn't the game they were talking about something that Nintendo couldn't do or whatever? Still not 100% convinced the game they were talking about is KI.

Bizzyb

Banned
Danneee said:

I t5hink he has some kind of gauntlet that shoots arrows from the back of his hand. Either way, yeah he shoots now. He seems to have several different weapons including his bow and the ability the throw his bow like a boomerang (after breaking it apart) and use it as a dual swords like he does in Brawl

KevinCow

Banned
Danneee said:

Looks like he has a bigger arsenal than just his bow and the occasional hammer. On top of his bow, the trailer shows a cannon, a rifle, a machine gun, and some claws. It also seems like every weapon has both a close- and long-range mode. Bow splits into two swords like Brawl, rifle turns into a sword, claws can shoot.

Brannon said:
Did you not hear the '80s butt rock anime music? That's game of the year material!

But seriously, the music did catch that string in my heart.

I thought it sounded like a '70s or '80s TV show opening.

DarkKyo

DiatribeEQ said:
While I'm insanely happy to FINALLY see a Kid Icarus sequel (seriously, Nintendo, WTF on how long it's taken?), this game SCREAMS to have been put on the Wii. But hey, I'll take any new update I can get at this point.
I'd prefer it on the 3DS. I'd love to break that beautiful little machine in with the glory that is Uprising.

seady

Can't say I am a fan of the artstyle. It looks kind of flat. I never liked it from SSBB, and they simply paste the whole design back here. It looks like something coming out from a SquareEnix's second-tier RPG.

Actually it reminds me of Kingdom Hearts.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
seady said:
Can't say I am a fan of the artstyle. I never liked it from SSBB, and they simply paste the whole design back here. It looks like something coming out from a SquareEnix's second-tier RPG.

Pit looks like Sora's long-lost brother. The Grim Reaper boss even looks like a Heartless, if you ask me.

Nessus said:
It's not just nostalgia. . . .

I'm far from great at video games but I managed to beat the game without too much difficulty, something I never actually managed as a kid (I always used the 8uuuuuuu code).

Nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I wasn't dissing the original game. In case my screen name and avatar were too subtle, I'm actually a fan of the original. If you beat it with maxed stats you'd see where I got my avatar.

I was just saying that when it comes to games, pretty much any franchise success is rooted in nostalgia.

I also just noticed Pit weird gun thing he's carrying around in those screens. I wonder if that's a fully upgraded form of some weapon? I'd guess that there's going to be a lot more to this game than just these flying rails stages and area fighting. This is Sakurai. He's probably going to load this thing full of content.

I'm wondering if he might do another game development blog for this?

Lijik said:
A few years ago I had the idea to tackle VB homebrew with a Kid Icarus fangame
pit.png
This sprite was as far as I got :lol

I'm blown away that a new Kid Icarus is happening, and its going to be in 3D. This game just looks so goddamn great

VIRTUAL BOY HOMEBREW??? :lol :lol :lol

Actually, while I have never owned the system, I loved playing it at Blockbuster and Toys R Us back in the day, and hope to pick one up on Ebay some day. I was a fan, accepting its flaws.

Is there really a VB homebrew scene?

Some of those shots look really great!

Others... I'm going to ignore them right now and dance in the night with obscure bad 80's games fans. I have hope for this to be cool and we could always use more shooters.

edit: And I mean real shooters!

Not that crap Americans call shooters.

Socreges

Banned
upandaway said:

Man, you've obviously never played the original Kid Icarus!! Those enemies have nothing to do with Sakurai.

kid-icarus-images-20080508033123655_640w.jpg

Masked Man

I said wow
Regulus Tera said:
How old is Sakurai?

He barely looks 21.

I am convinced that he is some sort of superhuman. Mere mortals could not look that good at 40 and create such wonderful games like he does. <3

DataBot

Masked Man said:
I am convinced that he is some sort of superhuman. Mere mortals could not look that good at 40 and create such wonderful games like he does. <3
He is Iwatas secret son what did you expect? :D

Davey Cakes

I honestly think Sakurai is just stealing Aonuma's years away from him. How else can you explain one's rapid aging and the other's sustained youth?

ILikeFeet

Banned
I can't be the only one who thinks the goddesses are hot (granted their artwork makes their proportions look weird)? can't wait for hentai fan-art of them ^_^

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lee N said:

And he's such a swooner. <3

DataBot said:
He is Iwatas secret son what did you expect? :D

This would explain a lot.

Rash said:
I honestly think Sakurai is just stealing Aonuma's years away from him. How else can you explain one's rapid aging and the other's sustained youth?

Liquid Nintendium!

ILikeFeet said:
I can't be the only one who thinks the goddesses are hot (granted their artwork makes their proportions look weird)? can't wait for hentai fan-art of them ^_^

There's been hentai fan-art of Palutena since Brawl.

Zomba13

Lee N said:
Fuck me! Really? Wow he looks great.
I can't wait for this. It looks like awesome fun. I never played the original on the NES but will definitely pick this up. I love the new design of Pit and the game looks amazing.

KevinCow

Banned
mooooose said:
I care about this much more than the OoT remake. This looks fucking awesome.

Same here. There's just not a whole lot to talk about because we have very little clue how it plays.

I wish it had been playable on the show floor so we could have some hands-on impressions, maybe even gameplay footage.

Top Bottom