• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Thank goodness for the Thumb Pad.
Speaking of which, I can't find mine.

GermanGAF - any way to order one? Couldn't find it on the Nintendo site but it seems NoA is offering them.

still really nervous abotu this game cause i'm left handed and i do not want a CPP for one game. been flip flopping all this time, so worried about controls.

why must i be left handed?!!?
Get it for RE:R as well.

I just saw Medusa's Revenge part 1 on Nintendo Video. It was much better than Thanatos Rising, much better. These shorts all seem so serious compared to the game trailers though.

Effect

I really would like to vote my enjoyment of these short clips but Nintendo has to use facebook for it's voting setup. :(

I just saw Medusa's Revenge part 1 on Nintendo Video. It was much better than Thanatos Rising, much better. These shorts all seem so serious compared to the game trailers though.

It is a weird mix. You see these creatures who are so colorful but then you have Medusa shooting laser attacks at the surface, killing people by turning them into stone who in turn shatter when they hit the ground. Thanatos Rising was the same way. He seemed clownish but what he was doing was really deadly.

Tyeforce

Did the original have like a bazillion different types - including a tower made out of mouths that spew lasers?
That's Stackjaw, which is based on the Totem enemy from the original Kid Icarus.

And while I haven't played the game myself yet, I know a lot of the enemies in the game are returning enemies from the original Kid Icarus. There are probably a lot more new enemies, of course, but from what I've seen the new enemies don't look out of place at all among the old ones.

EDIT: Here's a list of all the enemies and bosses from all three Kid Icarus games (well, only the known enemies/bosses from Uprising at the moment):
http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/Template:KIFoes

sfried

Did the original have like a bazillion different types - including a tower made out of mouths that spew lazers?
Actually there are a gazillion types on nonsensical ones in the original like Ganewmede, Keron and Minos. So no, a tower made out of mouths that shoot lazers does not feel out of place considering the game also has Komato/Metroids.

Poyunch

So I'm watching part 3 of the Thanatos video and I felt the need to point out that Thanatos' eyes look like buttholes.

FYI

Neiteio

FoxHimself: Please start unlocking idols in the Idol Toss minigame and describe the variety of them that can be found. :)

la_briola

Speaking of which, I can't find mine.

GermanGAF - any way to order one? Couldn't find it on the Nintendo site but it seems NoA is offering them.
Do you mean the circle pad pro?
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B006J66CPG/

for the L button I would recommend: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B006CDLRK6/
51ObJBxR6TL.jpg

imho better than the circle pad pro

the 3ds is truly a lego handheld :D

That's Stackjaw, which is based on the Totem enemy from the original Kid Icarus.

And while I haven't played the game myself yet, I know a lot of the enemies in the game are returning enemies from the original Kid Icarus. There are probably a lot more new enemies, of course, but from what I've seen the new enemies don't look out of place at all among the old ones.

EDIT: Here's a list of all the enemies and bosses from all three Kid Icarus games (well, only the known enemies/bosses from Uprising at the moment):
http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/Template:KIFoes

Excellent. Thanks! (For those not sure, I was actually wondering if the original game had a similar enemy, I didn't remember - not trying to be a smartass)

FoxHimself: Please start unlocking idols in the Idol Toss minigame and describe the variety of them that can be found. :)

It looks like every 3D model is going to show up. Like SSB-style trophies. I've gotten weapons, characters, multiplayer models, power ups, entire areas (one named "That First Town". You name it, it's probably in there.

I love (or HATE! ARRRRGH) that you can drop the eggs in the Idol Toss minigame and break them on the floor! I paid a system coin for that! :'(

Did anyone with the game play much Metroid Prime Hunters? How are the controls in comparison to that?

I played a lot of Hunters (and I think I had like 5 hours in First Hunt, even!).

The controls are comparable, but there's a noticeable difference in them. Here, you have to flick across the screen to turn on-foot.

In the air it's pretty much exactly like Sin & Punishment, but with touch screen control instead of dual analog.

KevinCow

Banned
I played a lot of Hunters (and I think I had like 5 hours in First Hunt, even!).

The controls are comparable, but there's a noticeable difference in them. Here, you have to flick across the screen to turn on-foot.
Wait, you have to flick to turn? I thought it worked the same, where you start turning if the reticule is far enough to the side and you're still sliding, and flicking was just if you wanted to turn faster?

NeoRausch

Ugh...i hate you GAF! Just preordered.

Nice to see that amazon is going to send me 30 cards with it. 6 (Game) + 24 (Free Bonus)

also it looks like amazon is going to sell card packs. I thought this stuff wouldn't go on sale. But one the pic for the cards it looks pretty much like the standart booster pack stuff.

The M.O.B

Just saw a commercial for this on ESPN during a basketball game, dunno if the audiences match the game but great to see Nintendo putting their money on this game.

Can't wait to pick this up, haven't touched my 3DS since 3D Land. Any word on the average length or replay, Sakarai games are usually pretty good this way.

PKrockin

Can't wait to pick this up, haven't touched my 3DS since 3D Land. Any word on the average length or replay, Sakarai games are usually pretty good this way.

Someone from IGN said like 12 hours. As far as replayability/unlockables it's basically Brawl with loot and some kind of crafting system (?)

But you're clearly turning without flicking in the first few seconds. Not much, but it confirms what I thought: if the reticule is at the edge of its bounding box and you continue sliding, you turn.

But you only turn a very small amount. You don't do a full 360 by holding to the side, like in MPH. You have to flick if you want to do a 90 degree turn, for example.

Eric C

Ugh...i hate you GAF! Just preordered.

Nice to see that amazon is going to send me 30 cards with it. 6 (Game) + 24 (Free Bonus)

wait what?

this isn't for the US is it? cause my Amazon.com pre-order doesn't show any bonus cards.

No, I'm pretty sure he means this. At least here in the US and Canada you can still buy it right from NoA.

Ace already posted a link above, but people might not realize it's the original DS wriststrap
cHEQu.jpg

[/URL]

Nintendo should've just packed this into the Kid Icarus box too, along with the stand.
I remember that. I had such a hard time using that when I had the Phat. Maybe it was because I was trying to play Super Mario 64 with it!

I think I still have it somewhere. Hope I can dig it out and try it with Kid Icarus!

KevinCow

Banned
But you only turn a very small amount. You don't do a full 360 by holding to the side, like in MPH. You have to flick if you want to do a 90 degree turn, for example.

You don't turn by holding to the side in MPH, either. It's not like a Wiimote shooter, it's like a mouse. If Kid Icarus lets you crank the sensitivity high enough, it would pretty much be the same.

How high do you have the aiming sensitivity? What's it like at max?

I was afraid to play stylus-heavy games on the 3DS which is why I haven't played some of my DS games on it. I finally picked up some screen protectors and they're a tremendous help. Now I play my DS games like Picross 3D and have no worries using my stylus.

Perfect timing too with Kid Icarus coming soon.

I think I may want to pick up Metroid Prime Hunters and Elite Beat Agents again. I hated being too careful when playing those games on my DSi. With the screen protectors, maybe I can finally enjoy them.

SmithnCo

I remember that. I had such a hard time using that when I had the Phat. Maybe it was because I was trying to play Super Mario 64 with it!

I think I still have it somewhere. Hope I can dig it out and try it with Kid Icarus!

Yeah, I recall using it for SM64 then promptly losing it because I thought it was horrible for that game. Didn't help that you needed to hit face buttons. Would like to hear impressions of it with KI though.

NeoRausch

wait what?

this isn't for the US is it? cause my Amazon.com pre-order doesn't show any bonus cards.
Nah sorry! Didn't make that clear in my first post.

seems to be amazon europe (germany?) preorder only. The pre-packed 6 cards plus 24 cards bonus. I guess 4 times 6 card "booster" pack.

Eric C

Yeah, I recall using it for SM64 then promptly losing it because I thought it was horrible for that game. Didn't help that you needed to hit face buttons. Would like to hear impressions of it with KI though.

Some people really like using it with Metroid Prime Hunters.

I've haven't really played MPH that much and not with the thumb pad... but since I already have an original phat DS wrist strap I'll probably at least try it out with KI.

Nah sorry! Didn't make that clear in my first post.

seems to be amazon europe (germany?) preorder only. The pre-packed 6 cards plus 24 cards bonus. I guess 4 times 6 card "booster" pack.

I wish someone in the US was giving out more/extra bonus cards for pre-ordering. As I doubt I'll go out of my way to buy any extras.

NeoRausch

I wish someone in the US was giving out more/extra bonus cards for pre-ordering. As I doubt I'll go out of my way to buy any extras.
IF you can buy any. Seems still to be unclear.
They still talk about HUNDERTS of cards, but also it seems like they giving them just away on special occasions. Cons etc.

makes no sense to me. Also no one seems to sell them in the future. They should pack them with chocolate, dammit!

SmithnCo

There's always Club Nintendo, and they'll probably go up on sites like eBay shortly. It would've been cool if they just sold packs at Gamestop I guess... But I think they might be too inconsequential for that. Pokemon would be able to pull that off though, I think.

Top Bottom