• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Busaiku

We were also being told the game would only have one control scheme for a long time, too, and that aiming with the circle pad wasn't worth implementing because the stylus is more accurate, yet here we are.

I don't think we were told that.
I think it's been said for a while that there would be a lot of customization.

so why is the cards not on amazon's us store yet? It seems I can order from germany just fine :(

I am going to wait until next week to give this another try if I cannot find them in the US

I am willing to bet you can walk into any store and get the AR Packs after the game is out

Neiteio

Well, I've decided: I'll download the last two anime videos (Part 1 and 2 of the Shaft production about Palutena's cooking contest), and then I'm turning off SpotPass on Nintendo Video. I'll keep Thanatos Rising - Part 3, Medusa's Revenge and the two-part Shaft anime for as long as I can. I especially love Medusa's Revenge -- simply gorgeous art, every single frame, and amazing scenarios, music, even line delivery. I love it!

branny

Would it really be that difficult to play this using your non-dominant hand on the stylus? It seems like simple flicks turn the camera and a sliding gesture should be easy enough to aim the reticule no matter which hand you use... No?
Hopefully! I'd love nothing more for the default scheme to be my favorite one, haha. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be different for every person, no matter what hand they write with. Spamming L and holding the 3DS with your left hand may be preferable for some lefties who'd rather not control Pit with face buttons or a right analog stick. The opposite could apply to righties, as well. Depending on the difficulty level, the balance between precision aiming and precision movement may also become skewed in favor of one over the other, which would further complicate things.

As with the Wii, some of the issues here stem from a conflict of familiarity, the crisscross dilemma of having controlled character movement with a left analog stick for years and having written with a particular hand since childhood. Some people will adjust and others won't. There will probably be no scheme that feels 100% intuitive for those with difficulty adapting; all they can do is find the least uncomfortable solution.

Offering many ways to customize the controls is important for all players, especially when a skill-based game such as this demands a good deal of dexterity. Now, whether or not the alternate configurations are equally viable remains to be seen.

The game could really use a demo. =\

SmithnCo

Well, I've decided: I'll download the last two anime videos (Part 1 and 2 of the Shaft production about Palutena's cooking contest), and then I'm turning off SpotPass on Nintendo Video. I'll keep Thanatos Rising - Part 3, Medusa's Revenge and the two-part Shaft anime for as long as I can. I especially love Medusa's Revenge -- simply gorgeous art, every single frame, and amazing scenarios, music, even line delivery. I love it!

That's a good idea, I rarely look at the new videos on that thing but Medusa's Revenge was just excellent. I'd hate to see it replaced by a Red Bull video or something.

zroid

Banned
I especially love Medusa's Revenge -- simply gorgeous art, every single frame, and amazing scenarios, music, even line delivery. I love it!

Yuuuup. If I weren't already sold on 3D before now, this would undoubtedly have been the breaking point.

Neiteio

That's a good idea, I rarely look at the new videos on that thing but Medusa's Revenge was just excellent. I'd hate to see it replaced by a Red Bull video or something.
My one concern with simply waiting for all the anime videos to arrive and then turning off SpotPass is that some non-KI videos may arrive between this Medusa's Revenge and the Shaft shorts. Hopefully they'll just go straight to the Shaft shorts, thus allowing me to have four of the six KI videos when I turn off SpotPass for Nintendo Video.

sfried

Hopefully they'll sell the full vids on eShow like they did with the Dreamworks vids. Perhaps that was the plan all along.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I just watched the trailers... and I have no other words other than: Day 1.

PKrockin

I just watched the Medusa trailer. sogood.gif

Anyone else get some serious Sonic Adventure 2 vibes from the part with Dark Pit?

"Faker? I think you're the fake hedgehog around here."

Tyeforce

I just watched the Medusa trailer. sogood.gif

Anyone else get some serious Sonic Adventure 2 vibes from the part with Dark Pit?

"Faker? I think you're the fake hedgehog around here."
That's totally what I thought when I watched that part! XD

I'm curious to find out about Dark Pit's origins. Surely he's not just an evil-looking Pit look-alike that appeared out of nowhere. Then again...this is Kid Icarus, I guess things don't really have to make sense, lol.

You can take it with a grain of salt if you want, but Rich of IGN said that the thumb strap isn't very helpful.
That's the guy that got owned by FoxHimself online though ;-). I played Metroid Hunters back in the days with it and never had any problems. I at least want to give it a whirl.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Any remarks on the framerate yet?

please say a solid 30 at least
Some google-translated german review said it "peaked at 60" in single player. And that guy from ign said he didn't run into any slowdown outside of multiplayer.

Chopper

Has this been posted? I found it interesting. Tiny Cartridge have a compariosn between the final retail cards and those that were distributed at E3:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/19430402912/kid-icarus-uprisings-ar-idol-cards-final

EKG1q.jpg

XMwJb.jpg

Apparently the game reads both cards as the same. So what is the camera looking for?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Apparently the game reads both cards as the same. So what is the camera looking for?

We'd need some more card images to be certain, but I was pondering the white/blue (?) icon shapes near the base of the card.

(Partially color blind)

Perhaps it's the border? It might be something not visible to the naked eye.
We'd need some more card images to be certain, but I was pondering the white/blue (?) icon shapes near the base of the card.

(Partially color blind)
I don't think it can be those, since they are not exactly the same.

From Wikipedia:
Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita come with "AR Cards" (fiduciary markers) allowing to play games which use device camera (Nintendogs + Cats, Tetris Axis, AR Combat DigiQ).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiduciary_marker
In applications of augmented reality or virtual reality, fiducials are often manually applied to objects in a scene so that the objects can be recognized in images of the scene. For example, to track some object, a light-emitting diode can be applied to it. With knowledge of the color of the emitted light, the object can easily be identified in the picture.
The appearance of markers in images may act as a reference for image scaling, or may allow the image and physical object, or multiple independent images, to be correlated. By placing fiduciary markers at known locations in a subject, the relative scale in the produced image may be determined by comparison of the locations of the markers in the image and subject. In applications such as photogrammetry, the fiducial marks of a surveying camera may be set so that they define the principal point, in a process called "collimation". This would be a creative use of how the term collimation is conventionally understood.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I was sure it was reading the stained-glass pattern to determine which card was which (especially as that one pic with all the cards had the patterns greyed out) but now I have no idea.

Chopper

Is it plausible that they just added the new Pit card data, rather than altered the existing code that was used for E3?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The only thing I'm fairly sure it ISN'T is something based on color, given that the prior AR cards work in b&w and it would seem to be easier/faster/whatever to do a shape-based recognition...

Edit: That reminds me. I was bored and didn't have the AR cards handy, so I tried to sketch a "standard" ?-block AR card on a post-it note using just a Sharpie marker. I used the little picture of the card in the AR program as a reference.

It worked.

Edit 2: Hmm. I assumed there was SOME recognition going on with the inner image, but the existing "system" AR cards must work entirely as silhouettes. This guy cut out the entire inner image and it worked fine: http://3dsforums.com/586546-post92.html

Luigiv

Has this been posted? I found it interesting. Tiny Cartridge have a compariosn between the final retail cards and those that were distributed at E3:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/19430402912/kid-icarus-uprisings-ar-idol-cards-final

http://i.imgur.com/EKG1q.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/XMwJb.jpg[img]

Apparently the game reads both cards as the same. So what is the camera looking for?[/QUOTE]

Clearly the author of that article does not understand the difference between input and output.

It's pretty damn obvious that the image recognition algorithm would not get the same readings from both those cards. However setting it up so that both readings result in the same output is absolutely trivial.

[quote="SomeDude, post: 36114117"]How many years has this game been in development?[/QUOTE]

Pre-production began just before Brawl was completed so that would make it 4 years.

Pandora's Labyrinth is a pretty fucked up stage. Ow, my head.

Also, tried playing through the first chapter on intensity 9. I need some better gear for that :lol

Pandora's Labyrinth is a pretty fucked up stage. Ow, my head.

Also, tried playing through the first chapter on intensity 9. I need some better gear for that :lol

How many hours did you spent in the game ? Could you tell us when you'll beat the game, and how long it took you ?

Lausebub

Banned
I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, but hoa many different AR cards are there now? You get 6 when you buy the game and 24, when you preorder it, are these cards randomized or do you always get the same? Are there more than 3ß different AR cards?

for Italy-GAF

an Italian friend told me game stores Mediaworld and Gamestop have the the 24 pack preorder bonus
http://www.mediaworld.it/offerte-promozioni/game-club/kidicarus.php

DAMNNNNN

anyone who ordered from amazon.de can in fact confirm there's the preorder bonus?
Yeah, they have the pack, you get a separate item in your order. They also lowered the price to € 43. Still a lot so maybe it's best to wait a bit to see if MM/Saturn have something interesting to offer. I put an order down just in case :).

Does anybody know if this has download play? Both my sister and my girlfriend have a 3DS, but neither are buying this game. I'd love to do multiplayer with them.

And while I'm on the subject, what about multiple save files?

EKG1q.jpg

XMwJb.jpg

It would be like with the character cards you get with the 3DS, wouldn't it?
It just has a bunch of images stored, and when it sees them, it displays the appropriate model.

Top Bottom