• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising will support the 3DS Circle Pad Pro

AniHawk

and kid icarus suddenly became playable. it was not as bad as i thought it would be at e3, but the on foot sections were terrible thanks to the camera.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thank you. For confirming my thoughts

Well, I'm not saying they'll necessarily use the XL design, but if they slim up the 3DS's internals and move some stuff around they could definitely fit a second circle pad.

They also won't make the original 3DS useless by releasing a redesign with such core functionality as a different control scheme.

This is not debatable. It is business 101.

They redesigned the Wiimote with extra functionality that is actually required for some games (along with a bandaid add-on for the old models.) The Circle Pad isn't required for any games. See the comparison?

Hurray, extra $20 solution for left-handed players. Wonder if there'll be a bundle. Both Kid Icarus demos I've played were almost impossible to control as a leftie. =\

Luigiv

I like how you call out everyone that doesn't like holding the 3DS with one hand (and still using key inputs such as the analog stick/shoulder button) while using the stylus as "really sucking at video games" only to follow it up with "felt perfectly natural, for me."

I played the thing for 5-10 minutes at PAX but hey it's nice to know I just suck at video games.

Glad you're in acceptance. :)

Razlo

The controls without a 2nd analog were non-ideal. I would have dealt with it, because it seems like it's a good game, but most probably wouldn't. Now there's an alternative.
Thanks Nintendo!

I hope this isn't the only solution for left handed players. It's kind of lame to expect people to shell out more money on a accessory just to play a game that should of implemented alternate controls to begin with.

They should of never based so much of the gameplay on a control scheme that isn't accessible to everyone from the get go.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'll take it. You'll have to remind me though whenever it happens because I will forget in like 12 hours.

I will remind you, don't worry. The bet is sealed. Thanks.

Shouldn't your position also include that the revision will have the same two extra triggers as the CPP? Or do you not expect that to happen?

Don't have any input here. It's more difficult to add the triggers to something resembling the current form-factor than it is to add an analog stick. I would guess they'd put the second trigger set on the back rather than the top, but the bet is about the analog stick.

And the other position should be clarified that only the next revision won't have the stick, leaving open the possibility that some future crazy revision might have it.

I'm only talking about the next marketed/branded revision.

What happens if they announce two SKUs at E3, one with and one without? Call the whole thing off?

What happens when you flip a coin and it lands perfectly on its edge?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I will remind you, don't worry. The bet is sealed. Thanks.

s4dFG.png

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm going to use the circle pad pro just because the 3DS is so damn cramped and kills my hands after long sessions. I hope if they do a redesign that the 3DS is a little bigger.

is the circle pad pro going to be mandatory?

Only for lefties. It won't have dual circle pad controls

http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1216202p1.html

Sakurai noted that no other control ideas were considered for two reasons. The first was the development team wasn't aware the Circle Pad Pro existed until it was revealed alongside Monster Hunter 3G. Even had his team known, however, Sakurai isn't sure he would have opted to allow players to control Pit with two Circle Pads. Sakurai noted he believes the quicker aiming enabled by the stylus is necessary.

Diffense

I remember that a poster called this months ago saying that Sakurai was sure to allow the option.
Kudos, you know your devs.

EDIT: It was Kajima!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
There are infos about Kid Icarus Uprising in this week's Famitsu. From Google Translation oh Hokanko, the only clear thing is the presence of difficulty levels, and then there's something about "The Devil Kittle"...

Makes sense. Lets the left handed players hold the stylus in their left hand like they've been asking for.

Can't complain.

By the way, everyone who complains about the controls being awkward must really suck at video games. The controls felt perfectly natural after 2 minutes, for me.

I really was opposed to frankenstick but this will make me fold as yeah, this is pretty much the only way i'm gonna be able to play this

lol, my wife is gonna laugh at me so hard

I'm lefty and I really hoped that Uprising with Circle Pad had a canonical conrol scheme... I will try to play it without circle pad, holding 3DS with only an hand is quite a pain, holding a 3DS and Circle Pad imho is real suffering :(

omg this also

shit isn't fun after more than 3 minutes T___T

I first played this at Nintendo World 2011;

- I told the Japanese Nintendo staff and the Austrlalian one who was there that I couldn't play it and they should add a left handed mode somehow.
- I played the game again at the Australian 3DS launch party and told everyone at Nintendo Australia, including the boss that I couldn't play it.
- I've tweeted to Sakurai about 50 times, in English and Japan about it.
- I played the game at a retailer briefing for the 3DS I snuck into in my home town.
- I played the game again at a Nintendo Event and told them again.

Thank me later.

I'm not one of these crazy left handed people (cough Dragona) who can't play the Wii normally, play Golf normally or use normal scissors. I can't write or use a stylus though in my right hand. It just don't work.

*High Five*

You are a treasure sir

It's worth pointing out that even with the Pro you'll still be using the stylus/touchscreen to aim - you can't twin-stick it like a console shooter. It's solely useful for those who'd prefer the circle pad on the right rather than the left.

That sucks if true. It should control like Star Fox 64 in my opinion. One analog is plenty sufficient.

Nessus

To me this sounds like it will only be used as an optional left-handed control scheme, and won't actually utilize both circlepads at the same time in a dual analog setup.

That is, I think you're still going to have to use the stylus (which I don't like).

I hope this isn't the only solution for left handed players. It's kind of lame to expect people to shell out more money on a accessory just to play a game that should of implemented alternate controls to begin with.

They should of never based so much of the gameplay on a control scheme that isn't accessible to everyone from the get go.

Yeah, this doesn't sit with me at all and unless this gets some high ass praise, I won't even bother.

To me this sounds like it will only be used as an optional left-handed control scheme, and won't actually utilize both circlepads at the same time in a dual analog setup.

That is, I think you're still going to have to use the stylus (which I don't like).

That's exactly what it means. Sakurai is derp :/

It's worth pointing out that even with the Pro you'll still be using the stylus/touchscreen to aim - you can't twin-stick it like a console shooter. It's solely useful for those who'd prefer the circle pad on the right rather than the left.

wow, Sakurai super-trolling with this shit.

daakusedo

Of course it doesn't use the second slidepad.
The game was made with tactile aiming since the beginning plus it got a multiplayer mode this year. This game is fast and never players aiming with a slidepad can compete.

cash bet: $10 of my money against $10 of your money, to be paid in paypal or steam gifts

my position: the next 3DS hardware revision, when it is announced, will have a second analog stick.

your position: either the 3DS never gets a hardware revision, or when it does, it does not have the second analog stick built in.

any takers? :p

I think anyone saying the 3DS will never get a revision is craaaaaaaaaaaazy. Crazy!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That makes three games thus far?

Kid Icarus, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter correct?

And Ace Combat, and Kingdom Hearts, and Metal Gear Solid 3D, and Dynasty Warriors Vs.

Basically all the big name games coming to the system. Writings on the wall, revision will have the second stick. A real shame Uprising won't have an alternate non-cramp inducing control system.

theBishop

Banned
I think anyone saying the 3DS will never get a revision is craaaaaaaaaaaazy. Crazy!

It's funny how many people fervently argued this when Nintendo first announced the peripheral.

The transition may not be complete for another year, but when the 3DS has reached the end of life, we'll consider it a 2-stick system. Similar to PSone. Many forget that it launched with no sticks.

watershed

Banned
When you have to go through such lengths just to make the game playable in 3d I think that tells you something about the control scheme they opted for. Although the stand will help with pretty much all 3ds games so I guess its a good thing all in all.

Top Bottom