• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai talks about some hardships in KI:Uprising development. Circle Pad pro woes. Modern port unlikely

El_Belmondo

Coming from an EDGE interview. Source

I could say that this was close to becoming the most difficult project in my entire career, both in terms of the team and the hardware. The team I had gathered differed greatly in culture and ways of thinking, so there was always confrontation. In addition, back when we were developing the game, we still couldn’t make full use of the power of Nintendo 3DS. Some improvements in aspects such as the middleware were made later on, but since the game was being made in the initial stages of Nintendo 3DS development, we had a really hard time doing what we wanted to. For example, I only found out that the Circle Pad Pro was going to be coming out when it was announced to the public by Nintendo. I wanted to make the game support this properly if I could, but this was impossible due to performance-related reasons. As a game in general, it’s rich in content and enjoyable, and people have even asked for a modern port. However, I don’t think this will be possible.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of my most fascinating modern pieces of software and one of my top5 3DS games, so i always avidly devour any piece of information about the game.

About the port, i disagree with Sakurai here. Even if we take out dual analog, gyro aiming is a thing and it's almost betted than using the touch screen to aim. I think this is kind of a Sakurai thing. None of his games has been ever up-ported outside of the Kirby series, and Kid Icarus: Uprising, being as ambitious as it was, NEEDS more exposure and a control scheme that doesn't scares potential player.

Jae Mara

I straight up couldn't play it because there was no left handed mode. I felt I was given a handicap forced playing with my right hand. I would love to give it another go through a proper port, what I played seemed quite interesting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I fucking LOVED Kid Icarus Uprising. It was one of my favourite game on 3DS and I personally didn't have that much issue with controls because to me it controlled very similar to Metroid Prime Hunter for DS.

I love to see Switch remaster and sequel to Uprising. It's loooooong overdo.

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

I straight up couldn't play it because there was no left handed mode. I felt I was given a handicap forced playing with my right hand. I would love to give it another go through a proper port, what I played seemed quite interesting.

iirc the game was Circle Pad pro compatible for left handed players. You can get one for cheap nowadays.

I really want people to play and enjoy this. Hopefully if Sakurai doesn't take the job of doing a port, someone eventually will.

I fucking LOVED Kid Icarus Uprising. It was one of my favourite game on 3DS and I personally didn't have that much issue with controls because to me it controlled very similar to Metroid Prime Hunter for DS.

I Love to see Switch remaster and sequel Uprising. It's loooooong overdo.

The controls were straight up identical to Hunters'

One thing to note, i gave both games countless hours of online play. Hunters was like having Unreal Tournament on your DS, and Uprising is like playing Smash on 3D with guns. Dammit i'm nostagiaing hard now, my sister got me the USA version of Hunters and i played it online nonstop (Never got around the campaign though) and Uprising got me hooked playing the campaing so i could get better and better weapons for online play.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Also I think we can all agree Kid Icarus Uprising is THE best looking game on 3DS even tho Sakurai said they were struggling to use full power of 3DS.

This game is one of the few handheld games that can easily be considered full on AAA game, the production value for this game was god damn insane.

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

Yeah, while the polycount could be better the art it's outstanding. Kind of like an AAA Dreamcast game with intelligently applied shaders.

I feel like Sakurai really outdid himself when it comes to games outside of Smash

Danjin44

Yeah, while the polycount could be better the art it's outstanding. Kind of like an AAA Dreamcast game with intelligently applied shaders.

I feel like Sakurai really outdid himself when it comes to games outside of Smash
this why I like to see Sakurai take a break from Smash and either make Uprising sequel or new IP single player game for Switch.

Also I think we can all agree Kid Icarus Uprising is THE best looking game on 3DS even tho Sakurai said they were struggling to use full power of 3DS.

This game is one of the few handheld games that can easily be considered full on AAA game, the production value for this game was god damn insane.
I remember resident evil revalations look'n pretty good on n3ds. Havent played it in quite a while, i could be wrong.

Top Bottom