• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kiki's Delivery Service > *

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

kiki-1024x768.jpg

Best dub job ever.

I agree, the English dub was great.
I really regret getting the HK R3 DVD now, since it had that horrible Cantonese dub instead (ruined by stupid lame-ass extra jokes...just like the Nausicaa one).
I swear I will never get another R3 Ghibli DVD again...unless I become super rich (in which case I will get both versions :p).

Currently waiting to see how My Neighbor Tototo's English dub by Disney turns out come August. :)

SD-Ness

Currently waiting to see how My Neighbor Tototo's English dub by Disney turns out come August.
Didn't know it was coming out. Awesome to hear.

I think most of the Miyazaki dubs are good though. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke aren't subpar...

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I have the VHS of this from a long time ago. I purchased it in Canada and it's dubbed alright.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I've been very happy with disney's dub jobs on the Miyazaki films. Phil Hatman sounded nothing like the Japanese voice of Jiji in Kiki's delivery service, but he did such a good job.

Laputa had a nice dub (Mark Hamil as the villan, it was great)

I'm looking forward to the Porco Roso dub which has Cary Elwes and Michael Keaton.

Hournda

I'm not a big fan of anime but I actually liked this movie. It had a very relaxing and non-threatening mood to it. After all, it was set in some fantasy Europe in the 1950s in which WW2 never occurred.

Totoro, Nausicaa and Porco Rosso (my fave) are all listed in this months Previews if you want to see what the covers look like.

Totoro's and Nausicaa look great, but I'd rather have the image used for Porco's R2 DVD (Porco's plane flying) release than the one Disney is going with (Porco standing, looking away to the side).

The best part is, they're all listed as 2 disc releases.

KingGondo

Banned
ThirstyFly said:
Totoro, Nausicaa and Porco Rosso (my fave) are all listed in this months Previews if you want to see what the covers look like.

Totoro's and Nausicaa look great, but I'd rather have the image used for Porco's R2 DVD (Porco's plane flying) release than the one Disney is going with (Porco standing, looking away to the side).

The best part is, they're all listed as 2 disc releases.

Yeah, but the last three (Spirited Away, Kiki's, Laputa) were all 2 DVD, and the extras were fairly sparse (could have definitely been fit onto one DVD). I get the feeling that they're double-disc for the sake of being double-disc.

That's true. Well, Spirited Away had some worthwhile stuff on the second disc.

Let's just hope they're a little more like Spirited Away and a little less like Kiki and Laputa.
And hopefully there won't be any subtitle errors this time. I don't really care for dubs.

Asbel

I am still shocked by the depth displayed in Kiki's character. Even though a children's anime, her emotions show more personality than many 'mature' anime leads (which consist of mostly grunting).

bjork

Leshita said:
Currently waiting to see how My Neighbor Tototo's English dub by Disney turns out come August. :)

They're changing the dub? Aw, man...

the original dub was fine, imo. :(

NetMapel

While Castle in the Sky and Naussicca: Valley of the Wind are two great epic anime from Miyazaki, my personal favorites from Miyazaki have always been Only Yesterday, and possibly Kiki's Delivery Service. Only Yesterday is a similiar reflection of my childhood and it touched me inside. I can really relate to the protagonist girl (I forgot her name) in many levels. As for Kiki's Delivery Service, who doesn't want to know how to fly with a broom and kick butt ? ;)

bjork

NetMapel said:
As for Kiki's Delivery Service, who doesn't want to know how to fly with a broom and kick butt ? ;)

That's why I was waiting for TFLO on Xhouse, and then the bastards went and canned it... my Kiki will never fly now...

NetMapel

bjork said:
That's why I was waiting for TFLO on Xhouse, and then the bastards went and canned it... my Kiki will never fly now...
I demand a PC port ! I will actually be interested in this MMORPG if it's on PC =D

bjork said:
They're changing the dub? Aw, man...

the original dub was fine, imo. :(

I liked the original English dub as well, but Disney is redubbing it for some reason (no rights to the old (Fox?) dub? maybe?). I just hope it is at least as good as that one.

kamikaze

JackFrost2012 said:
Kiki is definitely my favorite Miyazaki film.
But my favorite Ghibli film is Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart)!

damn i miss the thumbs up...

...one of the later ghibli films i saw and also my favorite.

(oh and kiki's dub is very good...as has been the case for most of disney's ghibli releases)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom