• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

usMCiys.jpg

IGN embargo again

09954248.gif

.la1n

Keits, are you prepared for this fan base? We aren't always very nice :p

edit: As I posted in the other thread, Iron Galaxy taking on the franchise is fantastic news and look forward to what they bring to the table. April 9th is unfortunate for the new content but also expected. Let's hope they will be more connected to the community and willing to make changes based on fan feedback than DH was.

muzzymate

Two weeks till Fulgore and Arcade Mode? I can dig!

Iron Galaxy was the best choice I can think of. Glad Microsoft could make that happen. Can't wait to see what Season 2 brings!

.la1n

I hope this also means all the smaller aesthetic choices that the majority of the KI community hated might have a chance at being tweaked. I will keep my fingers crossed.

brettreyu

What fantastic news to turn around a shitty week. Iron Galaxy seems to be staffed by passionate people who understand the genre and more importantly with a sense of humor. Can't think of anyone better.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Fulgore looks good? YES
Iron Galaxy new Dev? DOUBLE YES

April 9th seems like an eternity right now ;_;

I hope this also means all the smaller aesthetic choices that the majority of the KI community hated might have a chance at being tweaked. I will keep my fingers crossed.
This too..a 1000x this.

tapedeck

It appears that you aren't familiar with some of the things people have said and done to me regarding Divekick and UFGT.
I can only imagine. Anyways congrats on getting the game, cant wait to see what you guys do with it!

.la1n

It appears that you aren't familiar with some of the things people have said and done to me regarding Divekick and UFGT.

Unfortunately yes I am aware of some of the things you've had to wade through with regards to Divekick and UFGT. I hope that this new gig turns out much better for you.

tapedeck

Shuoink at the DH forums just posted this
We will be seeing Fulgore gameplay on the PlayXBLA stream TOMORROW from 2-3 PST.
Twitch.tv/xbox
Dont miss it

hwalker84

Absolutely fantastic news. Double Helix created my favorite launch title since Halo 1 but I feel like Iron Galaxy is more talented and perfectly suited to bring this game to the next level.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fulgore lookin good, interesting to see some of the details, like him avoiding moves while going into Predator-cloak, and the inclusion of his triple projectile, DP, and what looks like a boost-dash. Is MAXIMA BEAM his Instinct? Talk about something that looks like a Super. I really like the Factory Steam / Lazer Beam sound his section of the trailer ends on, giving characters individualized sounds (like Spinal's bone rattlings) is one of the things this game does very well.

His stage finally gives us a glowing Reddish / Brownish tone background, something in nice contrast to the strong use of Blues seen in many other stages.

Iron Galaxy... no idea what to feel yet. Sure, the work on 3rd Strike OE is great, and Divekick is a nice beginning to an emerging property, but this feels like an even more blank set of expectations than Double Helix. Even following Double Helix' and Microsoft's Internal Team's layout, there's still going to be a signature style and change that comes from a new set of devs, and I've no idea how that's going to feel. Will be very interesting to see how it all turns out!

On Art Direction changes... I think DH takes more flack than they deserve. I'm sure everyone of the vocal fan complaints could have been overcome if the game was just focusing on delivering near clone-like characters, and a music track to go with them.

But we got lively Stages, Accessories, Retro / Alt Costumes, and Alt accessories for them, along with 12 colors that often had some decent changes within them themselves. All while already-released characters were being updated with stuff along the way, too. I really like the ambitious foundation they set up for content going forward, and I wouldn't have traded any of it to fix some of the minor-as-hell quibbles that came up. The gap of time between S1 and S2 would have probably provided a good space to work on refining elements that came up lackluster.

What's IG's art direction looking like? Wish I knew! I wouldn't mind seeing Artgerm turn out some portrait art for the game, but I'm sure the use of Udon artist in III OE has little to do with the designs coming to KI! And I was really happy with the animation quality in KI as well, will the new team have as innate a sense of timing? I mean, Divekick barely HAS animation! ;-)

And on to Story / Arcade Mode... Ok, we have some in-game cinematics shown off as examples. Good. I'd much prefer in-game stuff, especially if it allows the use of your own customizations, over pre-rendered CGs for the sake of CG. Now how many will we get per run? Just an intro, or an ending?

Lobbies look good... design is nice enough, doesn't give much away about functionality, yet. We'll see how it all works out soon enough.

Personally, I've enjoyed the incremental growth of KI over this time. It's been great having a fighter that has worthwhile content to come back to every once in a while, rather than just color palettes and gameplay flow-altering reactionary balance changes. Especially nice to pay for it all up front, and not have to worry about having the money on LIVE upon release day, or having to save it up, for some unknown value at a later date. So much better than going through months or years of silence between useful content delivery.

El Sabroso

Fulgore lookin good, interesting to see some of the details, like him avoiding moves while going into Predator-cloak, and the inclusion of his triple projectile, DP, and what looks like a boost-dash. Is MAXIMA BEAM his Instinct? Talk about something that looks like a Super. I really like the Factory Steam / Lazer Beam sound his section of the trailer ends on, giving characters individualized sounds (like Spinal's bone rattlings) is one of the things this game does very well.

I'm sure it is, like other characters have something changed in Instinct, Fulgore has a red glow around the body when using it, going in cloack while Ultra looks cool too.

Also on the Instinct showcase on the trailer I really loved the KI2 touch to the song.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm sure it is, like other characters have something changed in Instinct, Fulgore has a red glow around the body when using it, going in cloack while Ultra looks cool too.

Also on the Instinct showcase on the trailer I really loved the KI2 touch to the song.

I have to wonder how that'll end up working. Cancel any move into BEAM into Shadow teleport -> More Combo? Dash /special Cancel out of close range BEAM? *shrug* Guess all will be revealed soon enough.

derFeef

I did not like the trailer that much, I prefer more fighting in those instead of things and angles I will never see in the game like that. But Fulgore is looking good for sure. His stage seems cool too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I did not like the trailer that much, I prefer more fighting in those instead of things and angles I will never see in the game like that. But Fulgore is looking good for sure. His stage seems cool too.

I liked the timing to music. I didn't like the fact that it didn't feel much like a fight, except the portions where it just zoomed to Gameplay perspective. When you start saying "These characters are so detailed, you want to learn their backstory and everything!" having them stand still and play training dummy seems to dump all of that.

But the trailer works fine as a basic overlay, and a montage of abilities and animation details for the character / stage. It gets people pumped, and brings the right kind of attention to the game.

The arcade mode stuff... I have no idea what to expect. We didn't see a ladder, we didn't hear any conversations, there was nothing to present the fact that there was a narrative. Just stuff to show us new animations! Which is cool...but it feels so separate from what one knows of "Arcade" mode trappings. If anything, it just made me wish a lot of those animations were secondary win / intro poses!

.la1n

Are you and Max in cahoots or did you steal his thunder? Seems like Max's fanatical coverage and special interview stuff has all but dissipated. :(

Max covers multiple games across multiple genres and has long before KI was even a thing. He still gets excited for KI but obviously he has to spread his attention to his other videos too and on top of that he live streams now.

I just caught wind of the new KI happenings. The Fulgore trailer was spectacular, I really look forward to trying him out. A zoner character that can teleport, start combos off of full screen fireballs, and can charge and fire a frickin' laser beam from his chest aka Maxima. Good times are coming.

Also, the arcade/story mode and eight player lobbies are looking mighty fine. I look forward to joining in GAF lobbies and duking it out with you fine folks.

Speaking of fine folks; Iron Galaxy is the new KI developer? Awesome! I don't think I could pick a better developer. I eagerly await taking part in this new journey, so thanks for taking the lead, IG!

hwalker84

My only concern is when the April 9th patch hits and causes all sorts of issues is it still up to Double Helix to fix or will we have a massive delay?

Timu

No. There is no story mode - don't get your hopes up people. It's an Arcade ladder mode of some sorts with custom animations for intros and outros if I would have to guess.
I got story mode mixed up with arcade mode for some reason, sorry about that.=O

.la1n

I got story mode mixed up with arcade mode for some reason, sorry about that.=O

It's always been the same thing when it comes to fighting games. It wasn't until the recent MK / Injustice that people started considering story mode to be a more fleshed out affair like Netherrealm studios did.

Other fighters that used separate story and arcade modes were usually only differentiated by the story mode having some additional dialogue or cut scenes so I would say what DH has done is closer to a story mode than an arcade mode if what we are hearing is correct and they've added some cut scenes in there.

My only concern is when the April 9th patch hits and causes all sorts of issues is it still up to Double Helix to fix or will we have a massive delay?

That is probably the primary cause for delay to the new patch. They wanted to try to ensure it was working completely before releasing as the new developers probably aren't ready to jump right in and tackle bugs right now. Never know though, maybe Iron Galaxy is more involved at this stage than we know.

hwalker84

It's always been the same thing when it comes to fighting games. It wasn't until the recent MK / Injustice that people started considering story mode to be a more fleshed out affair like Netherrealm studios did.

Other fighters that used separate story and arcade modes were usually only differentiated by the story mode having some additional dialogue or cut scenes so I would say what DH has done is closer to a story mode than an arcade mode if what we are hearing is correct and they've added some cut scenes in there.

That is probably the primary cause for delay to the new patch. They wanted to try to ensure it was working completely before releasing as the new developers probably aren't ready to jump right in and tackle bugs right now. Never know though, maybe Iron Galaxy is more involved at this stage than we know.
Well it looks like from the polygon article that IG has had engineers at Double Helix for more than a month. I would still find it odd that after such a massive patch you say oh well these other guys will clean it up. I'd think this would be a collaborative fix.

.la1n

Well it looks like from the polygon article that IG has had engineers at Double Helix for more than a month. I would still find it odd that after such a massive patch you say oh well these other guys will clean it up. I'd think this would be a collaborative fix.

I do believe I remember reading that Double Helix was still supporting any current games they had released which included Strider and Killer Instinct Season 1 so you are correct that it would mean any fixes needed to Season 1 content would still be their responsibility. Without actually knowing the full extent of the contract it's just a guess.

Top Bottom