• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

derFeef

I dunno....

ZxVN6TU.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Looks pretty good in game, really. This is one of those instances where I hope the "premium" accessory makes him look more like that odd Wildstorm / Todd McFalane Facepaint + White eyes look. Thunders look in this game is already pretty close to being a Good version of his old look, so I welcome this new style with open arms. It's a bonus on what was already a good design.

The jacket and pants get some nice variations with the palette options, as well. I do think they've gotten noticeably better at making such options worth using, and this works especially well with the new ability to save different accessory sets per color.

Now just get it so as local 2P can save their own accessory and color sets, and we'll be in business!

I hope his 4th accessory set gives him the war paint, along with some sort headdress. Even a Roach would be pretty great to have. Also, I noticed they removed the necklace from his default outfit. He had it in the artbook.

.la1n

Now just fix Glacius' head on the classic model and I swear I will leave you guys alone.

not really, no quarter will be given

Synth

Ok, the Thunder alt looks pretty decent in these other shots. That first one looked pretty strange by comparison. Will probably boot the game up later to take a look at it.

Huh? Apparently the 4th set was shown. Just that nobody has posted it or talked about it.

Closed Leather Vest, Steel Axe (looks pretty awesome), and Black Head Wrap.

Omega

Banned
How's the online in this game holding up? When it first released people were saying how good it was. Known players that are vehemently against online play were playing KI and enjoyed it

bumpkin

So, doing a huge double ultra on someone that is 10+ ranks below you and didn't even get you down to your second life bar is a dick move... Just saying.

So, doing a huge double ultra on someone that is 10+ ranks below you and didn't even get you down to your second life bar is a dick move... Just saying.

i did this last night lol..but it's because the guy made me sit through the entire character/stage selection wait.

.la1n

i did this last night lol..but it's because the guy made me sit through the entire character/stage selection wait.

Forcing someone to sit through character and stage selection is worse than double ultra If you ask me. You did good.

Only thing that irks me worse than that in any fighting game is when someone doesn't ready up for ten minutes.

DrDogg

How's the online in this game holding up? When it first released people were saying how good it was. Known players that are vehemently against online play were playing KI and enjoyed it

The netcode seems to get downgraded with each new patch. I don't understand how or why, but with nothing changing on my end, I went from being able to break Shadow Linkers online with no issues at launch, to where it is now... mistiming the break every single time I attempt it online, only to go directly into training mode and hit it 10/10 times.

It's still probably the best netcode of any fighting game that I've ever played, but it's not as good as it was at launch for some reason.

Even doing a full single Ultra is annoying to me. I just want to move on to the next match, win or lose.

Has anyone received their Supreme or Glacius pins this month?

I ordered and received my order confirmation on 3-10, but haven't heard anything from them since. Nothing about shipping.

.la1n

The netcode seems to get downgraded with each new patch. I don't understand how or why, but with nothing changing on my end, I went from being able to break Shadow Linkers online with no issues at launch, to where it is now... mistiming the break every single time I attempt it online, only to go directly into training mode and hit it 10/10 times.

It's still probably the best netcode of any fighting game that I've ever played, but it's not as good as it was at launch for some reason.

Even doing a full single Ultra is annoying to me. I just want to move on to the next match, win or lose.

Yeah it's really odd how every single match from anywhere on the planet seemed to run flawlessly at launch to now where maybe one in every five matches is a lag fest. These are some of the same people I used to have lag free matches with at launch. Not sure if it's related to the game itself or if it's on the Xbox Live end. I would assume it's the game since KI is using host based matching service correct?

Either way it's odd that it's never been brought up by the team, I would assume with all the prominent players noticing the down grade that they might have taken notice as well. It could very well be out of their control but I am not well versed enough in network coding to feel confident making an accusation one way or another. I do know that the net code was designed by allegedly one person at Double Helix so with his/her departure I don't imagine we will see any improvements going forward with a new team.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
quick and dirty mockups someone did at the DH forums

wv7oSAh.jpg

I still dont get whats so offensive about this look, but of course thats not my call to make.

Edit: Looking again the red skin is a bit much, that should be toned down for sure.

.la1n

It usually doesn't take very long for a fan to create a better mock up classic than what DH produces, if I were over the art direction and modeling of the classic skins I would be pretty embarrassed to be honest.

.la1n

Nori Chan

Jago: Great
Orchid: Good, but disappointing it's not KI2 with the great ass from the artbook
Sabrewulf: Bad, looks like a hairless rat
Glacius: Good, needs head reshaped
Sadira: Great, but not technically a "classic" costume
Thunder: Crap, not accurate at all
Spinal: Great

Seriously happy the color from KI is back, I love the way it looks. Color 2 here. I'm also loving that red one, as if there was blood on the bones as you can see bits of white on it.

Also, what do you guys think the accessories will be?

.la1n

Jago: Great
Orchid: Good, but disappointing it's not KI2 with the great ass from the artbook
Sabrewulf: Bad, looks like a hairless rat
Glacius: Good, needs head reshaped
Sadira: Great, but not technically a "classic" costume
Thunder: Crap, not accurate at all
Spinal: Great

To be honest at the end of the day, DH just has a terrible team in place for art direction. It's not cohesive (even on the new models/skins.) Any current generation fighter can easily put it to shame. It's the fighting engine underneath the aesthetics that kept me interested. It's unfortunate that we got a pretty damn fun game but it had to fight through walls of ugly to shine.

It's the one area where western developers can't seem to keep pace with their japanese counterparts. Netherrealm studios suffers from the same issue. Until they start matching good fighting engines with good art direction they will always fall behind imo.

ACH1LL3US

I dig classic Spinal, nice to see DH get a classic outfit right.

I dig it too but all they had to do is make him without any clothes on :/

Thunder classic could be on point with more work and Glacious just needs a tweek with the shape of the head.

Hopefully we get KI2 outfits for these guys at some point :0

tapedeck

I dig it too but all they had to do is make him without any clothes on :/

Thunder classic could be on point with more work and Glacious just needs a tweek with the shape of the head.

Hopefully we get KI2 outfits for these guys at some point :0
Oh I definitely recognize its a very easy costume to pull off correctly...I guess Im just finally glad they did lol. Personally I cant stand Thunders classic but I like his standard look so I dont care that much. Glacius head is an easy fix..I dont get why they dont just do it real quick..it couldnt possibly take more than a few hours to change..?

histopher

To be honest at the end of the day, DH just has a terrible team in place for art direction. It's not cohesive (even on the new models/skins.) Any current generation fighter can easily put it to shame. It's the fighting engine underneath the aesthetics that kept me interested. It's unfortunate that we got a pretty damn fun game but it had to fight through walls of ugly to shine.

It's the one area where western developers can't seem to keep pace with their japanese counterparts. Netherrealm studios suffers from the same issue. Until they start matching good fighting engines with good art direction they will always fall behind imo.

Great post, completely agree.

tapedeck

I think the game has its visual high points, but overall yeah I agree. Thats why TBH I wasnt that upset when I heard a new dev team was taking over. Of course we have to hope whoever takes over can keep the terrific gameplay and mechanics intact and the new characters movesets unique/balanced, a pretty tall order.

ACH1LL3US

I think the game has its visual high points, but overall yeah I agree. Thats why TBH I wasnt that upset when I heard a new dev team was taking over. Of course we have to hope whoever takes over can keep the terrific gameplay and mechanics intact and the new characters movesets unique/balanced, a pretty tall order.

I agree. What we really need is the new dev to get the art to be more consistent and cohesive. Alot of minor touches on the game would go along way.

I would love to see them bring out redone versions of the classic stages, I think that would be great!

Did they say in the last stream when we should see or hear about the new dev and season 2?

This game even with its lack of content, some questionable art and not even 1080p, its been my fav next gen game so far :)

Top Bottom