• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 |OT| You've got red on you.

Dingo Bonecrush

Neo Member
I would love to grab it on PS4, but I'm afraid Tripwire might not support the game on consoles. Did they disclose the plans for post-launch support? That fear might be completely unjustified, but the whole Payday 2 debacle made me extremely wary of another shooter from a series that heavily relies on post-launch support. And if I'm not mistaken original KF got TONS of content.

Yeah it was posted earlier in the thread they will support PS4 post launch:

Will the game receive updates?
The developers have said that they plan to keep the PS4 version in line with the PC version, which has received timely content drops through early access. Seasonal events will also be supported on PS4. There's already a large modding community on PC.

I would love to grab it on PS4, but I'm afraid Tripwire might not support the game on consoles. Did they disclose the plans for post-launch support? That fear might be completely unjustified, but the whole Payday 2 debacle made me extremely wary of another shooter from a series that heavily relies on post-launch support. And if I'm not mistaken original KF got TONS of content.

They have stated they are going to support both versions and provide each with the same volume of content. They've mentioned this in several videos.

Nice. So the visual difference is pretty noticeable between the versions?

Are you playing on a 1080 or 4k TV?

I'm this close to buying it, but the short time I played the beta was a little bewildering. I was always last in kills, and didn't really know why I was doing. I guess I expected more of a point to point L4D experience, but what I played was fun.

For the PS4 Pro, I played it on a Samsung KU6300, for PS4, I played it on my Panny 1080p plasma. The main difference is the fidelity. The PS4 Pro is sharper, more definitely. There's also more pronounced lighting effects. Both are rock solid in terms of frame rate and both are very much playable.

joeblow

One of my all-time favorite "online co-op with randoms" action shooters on console was Resistance 2 (video).

Unfortunately, it was only one of three modes in the game (along with campaign and 60 player vs.), so it wasn't fully fleshed out in that there were a limited number of maps, and it became easy once you got too good. I've always wanted a full game like that.

I wonder if KF2 is a lot like that mode in the following ways...

- Tons of enemies on-screen at times (20+)?
- Big, huge monstrosities to kill (10-20 feet tall)?
- Revive and other teammate support functions?

...and as an improvement, does KF2 have a ton of locations to battle in? Does it remain a tough-as-nails challenge (i.e., expect to die quite a bit), even with maxed out stats?

I'm on the fence. I don't normally like first person games but I love zombie games and dealt with the viewpoint for ZombiU. Also played Destiny PVP and that was fun but have no interest in games like Overwatch. And I have a Pro and a 4K set and the trailer looked great.

Is this for me? Trying not to waste money on games like I did Batflefront just because they look good.

Paertan

I'm on the fence. I don't normally like first person games but I love zombie games and dealt with the viewpoint for ZombiU. Also played Destiny PVP and that was fun but have no interest in games like Overwatch. And I have a Pro and a 4K set and the trailer looked great.

Is this for me? Trying not to waste money on games like I did Batflefront just because they look good.

Do you like "Hoard" mode in games? Hoard in Gears of War. Left4Dead. Cooperative in AvP etc.

Do you like "Hoard" mode in games? Hoard in Gears of War. Left4Dead. Cooperative in AvP etc.

I've never really played horde modes except maybe Prison of Elders or whatever in Destiny.

How is the atmosphere? Is it really creepy and noire or is it like Call of Duty zombie mode?

Mupod

I'm a fan of wave survival co-op and KF1 is by far my favorite ever. ME3 and Gears 3 Horde are distant second and third. I haven't put enough time into the full release version of 2 to stack it up yet but so far it feels like KF1 but faster and better looking.

One of my all-time favorite "online co-op with randoms" action shooters on console was Resistance 2 (video).

Unfortunately, it was only one of three modes in the game (along with campaign and 60 player vs.), so it wasn't fully fleshed out in that there were a limited number of maps, and it became easy once you got too good. I've always wanted a full game like that.

I wonder if KF2 is a lot like that mode in the following ways...

- Tons of enemies on-screen at times (20+)?
- Big, huge monstrosities to kill (10-20 feet tall)?
- Revive and other teammate support functions?

...and as an improvement, does KF2 have a ton of locations to battle in? Does it remain a tough-as-nails challenge (i.e., expect to die quite a bit), even with maxed out stats?

It might have 20+ if your support and demoman are dropping the ball, heh. You'll certainly see large hordes but it's about managing them so that you're not swarmed. KF is all about staying in control but there will definitely be times when you walk into a room and there's just a sea of zeds.

KF escalates from easily-dispatched wimpy enemies, to stronger more specialized types like ranged attackers or stealthers, then starts throwing in powerful mid-bosses that require group coordination. You might think you're dealing with a slow, lumbering bullet sponge and then somebody pisses it off and it's running at you at 80kph. The bosses are tough and frantic as well.

There's a medic class and you can share money/weapons. But if you die, you're dead for that wave and you lose everything except for the gun you had out (which gets dropped where you die). I will say that the medic class in KF1 was really poorly done and they gave it a ton of attention in 2. It's very fun to play now.

The higher difficulties are meant for high level characters and organized teams with a game plan and map knowledge. I haven't gotten past 6 or so with one class in KF2 but I haven't seen any indication that you start overpowering/trivializing everything. Hell normal mode in KF is traditionally harder than hard mode because you end up trying to solo waves while newbies bumble about. That's fun in its own way. Ah I remember the day when they added Mac support to KF1 and everybody welded themselves into a farmhouse and couldn't get out.

KF2 is basically a game built around horde modes. If you like killing wave after wave of enemies, customization and picking up / purchasing weapons and gear to keep you alive, you'll enjoy this. Otherwise, pass.

joeblow

<snipped>

Thanks! I have to admit, mid and end bosses in Resistance 2's co-op were mostly bullet sponges and not as dynamic as you make it sound.

Is there team killing to worry about in KF2? Are there non-medic support activities (R2 would let you drop ammo for team mates, put up shields, etc)?

Does this game feel repetitive or is there enough diversity and classes, bosses and levels to make it feel fresh?

Yes this is what I'm asking. I found Star Wars Battlefront exactly this.

Some reviews have said the leveling makes it addictive. I wonder if that's enough progression

Fisty

Thanks! I have to admit, mid and end bosses in Resistance 2's co-op were mostly bullet sponges and not as dynamic as you make it sound.

Is there team killing to worry about in KF2? Are there non-medic support activities (R2 would let you drop ammo for team mates, put up shields, etc)?

No team-killing that I've seen so far, there is a non-medic support and a demo class that are pretty versatile. Here's a list of classes

http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=Perks_(Killing_Floor_2)

Does this game feel repetitive or is there enough diversity and classes, bosses and levels to make it feel fresh?

There are a ton of different maps, I was surprised to see as many as I did. Only Survival and VS mode at this time though, but the number of maps should keep things fresh. Every map presents different situations and strategies and the map itself does factor into the matches quite a bit

Mupod

You could turn friendly fire on in KF1 but nobody did because it was suicide, lol.

It's repetitive sure, but consistently fun. I put many dozens of hours into KF1 even after maxing my main perks.

cheez124

good to hear KF2 is finally out. i never really kept up with it during it's early access phase, so hopefully everything will be fresh to me. haven't played KF in a long time, so i've got some re-learning to do too, haha

...can you still throw money?

Moofers

good to hear KF2 is finally out. i never really kept up with it during it's early access phase, so hopefully everything will be fresh to me. haven't played KF in a long time, so i've got some re-learning to do too, haha

...can you still throw money?

Yes, you can still throw money!

I decided I gotta go pick this up today. I have enough games to play for all of next year but this was one I knew I was going to have to buy. After the amazing support they gave the first game, I can't wait to see what they have in store for us this time. The holiday events are unlike any other game. Completely new skins/models for ALL enemies, new stages, new music, etc.

This is a trailer for an older Christmas event from the first game. I think Tripwire knows the fans are waiting for this to happen next year for KF2. I'm giddy at the thought:

Killing Floor 1 - Twisted Christmas Event

Ronin Ray

What will you be playing it on? For me on PC it was fine because all the created maps I could download and play. Without that I think it would get old fast to be honest

Experien

My only complaint is that with using band songs (even without vocals), you can't stream on YouTube and try to get money from views since all the bands claim copyright, ha.

Experien

What will you be playing it on? For me on PC it was fine because all the created maps I could download and play. Without that I think it would get old fast to be honest

I don't know if it is placeholder or stock posting but when loading a map, it does say "TripWire Official Map" or something like that. Makes me think they might do user maps? Or buy map packs since there is a store that is empty so far.

Ronin Ray

I don't know if it is placeholder or stock posting but when loading a map, it does say "TripWire Official Map" or something like that. Makes me think they might do user maps? Or buy map packs since there is a store that is empty so far.

What where you playing on ?

No team-killing, though I've seen some servers on PC enable it. Not sure if this will be a thing on PS4. Support and Demo class give ammo/grenades to players who interact with them, respectively. Support also gives out armor when they reach a certain level. No shields to place, but Support can weld doors to funnel in enemies. Most maps have areas that work well with this. Though I have heard that SWAT might get shields to place down eventually? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up happening.

How similar to Left 4 Dead is this?
I guess you could compare it to L4D's Survival mode. If you're expecting a "make your way from point A to point B" sort of deal, you'll probably be disappointed.

Krakn3Dfx

How similar to Left 4 Dead is this?

Kind of like comparing God of War to Dark Souls. The systems that you access and perk systems you choose in KF2 have a huge impact on your long term survival in the game. I guess you could say it's a more complicated experience, but not so much that it feels like work, it just feels more satisfying when everything goes right.

Also, while you can play L4D solo pretty easily and be successful, you literally have to maintain a team of players to make any real headway in KF2. Solo isn't an option beyond 1-2 waves.

Akronis

Kind of like comparing God of War to Dark Souls. The systems that you access and perk systems you choose in KF2 have a huge impact on your long term survival in the game. I guess you could say it's a more complicated experience, but not so much that it feels like work, it just feels more satisfying when everything goes right.

Also, while you can play L4D solo pretty easily and be successful, you literally have to maintain a team of players to make any real headway in KF2. Solo isn't an option beyond 1-2 waves.

This is not true at all. You can play KF2 solo just fine. It scales to the amount of players.

There are plenty of people that can solo HoE (even with mutators that overrides player scaling) without issues.

joeblow

No team-killing, though I've seen some servers on PC enable it. Not sure if this will be a thing on PS4. Support and Demo class give ammo/grenades to players who interact with them, respectively. Support also gives out armor when they reach a certain level. No shields to place, but Support can weld doors to funnel in enemies. Most maps have areas that work well with this. Though I have heard that SWAT might get shields to place down eventually? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up happening.

I guess you could compare it to L4D's Survival mode. If you're expecting a "make your way from point A to point B" sort of deal, you'll probably be disappointed.

Thanks for the info. But your last comment points out one main difference from Resistance 2... that game was definitely focused on skirmishes occurring as you made your way from area to area. So KF2 is more like an arena battle royale instead of progressing to different sections?

Akronis

Thanks for the info. But your last comment points out one main difference from Resistance 2... that game was definitely focused on skirmishes occurring as you made your way from area to area. So KF2 is more like an arena battle royale instead of progressing to different sections?

Yes. Just one map that you survive in. Between waves you buy from traders spread out throughout the map. Map is arena-sized (not necessarily small, but not massive in any way; there is no KF1 Farm equiv). There is no objective other than survive (until objective mode comes out).

Volodja

It's just horde mode. You are in a level that is not progressing and wave after wave of tougher enemies show up.

El Odio

Banned

Maybe if you're a low level an trying on suicidal/HoE. Solo is totally doable for anyone who knows what there doing and the scaling makes just about all perks viable against even scakes and fleshpounds.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Awesome. so you've been playing it on the Pro? I was looking for general frame rate, IQ, tearing impressions.

I'd actually love some general gameplay impressions from the PS4 version. Are the controls pretty spot on?
I played this a lot last night.

My unscientific impressions: clean image, didn't notice tearing or fps drops. Plays very smooth. However the fan on the Pro was getting a workout the whole time. :/

Does this game have real bands in the soundtrack? If so, who?

Nope, I do not believe that any of the music is from any widely known composers / bands.

Then I have no idea why that other poster would mention it. Thanks!

Living Sacrifice, Demon Hunter, and Fit for a King are all metal bands that I've known about for years. Demon Hunter has been putting out music for 15+ years and Living Sacrifice for 20+ years. The soundtrack is from Solid State Records, which is the heavier side of Tooth and Nail Records (and they've been around for around 20 years).

Due to being Christian bands on a Christian label, no they're probably not widely known. But Living Sacrifice and Demon Hunter I would think are very well known to anyone that follows any type of Christian metal.

Mupod

I feel the opposite about L4D vs KF2. L4D has game mechanics that 'force' teamwork like infected immobilizing or killing a player unless they are immediately rescued by nearby allies.

KF2 if you are the right perk and know the map you can solo quite effectively. Obviously it's more effective to have a team that sticks together in the right areas but it's not imposed on you rigidly. Rather it just kind of comes together - Sharpshooter wants to stand still behind allies and crossbow the heads off Scrakes, Support wants to funnel enemies to the right place and cleans up the little guys. Berserkers hold the line. So on so forth. I always thought that kind of interplay felt better than just 'oh you got jumped on by a hunter, better hope someone saves you'.

Yes. Just one map that you survive in. Between waves you buy from traders spread out throughout the map. Map is arena-sized (not necessarily small, but not massive in any way; there is no KF1 Farm equiv). There is no objective other than survive (until objective mode comes out).

How big are these maps?

Experien

What where you playing on ?

PS4

Does this game have real bands in the soundtrack? If so, who?

Yep!

The only ones I've seen are Living Sacrifice, Demon Hunter, Becoming Archetype, Dirge, Bruce (from Living Sacrifice) & another guy, Rocky (from Living Sacrifice), and I think that is it. I am pretty sure there is another band or two but those are the main ones.

The bearded guy can also be equipped with a Demon Hunter shirt.

And before people ask, default is no vocals and you can go into options to turn vocals on. The copyright notices get claimed with and without vocals (this morning was without).

Can I play this wirh a friend splitscreen and online?

I am going to go with no on all platforms. Too much going on to handle the power of splitscreen.

How big are these maps?

There are decent sized, nothing HUGE but it is typically one big "circle" with paths connecting all across the board. There are very few dead-ends, just corners to die in.

ptuck874

Played some this morning, had a blast (ps4), though not sure if there is a server browser, at least I couldnt find any, started games both time with just me, should I just wait until people show up in que?

How are the rest of the maps? I was a bit disappointed that the early access ones all felt pretty much the same with some corridors and then big rooms. I want some maps that are just tight corridors like biotics lab kf1 or simple like west London, or just really big and open like kf1 farm. Sometimes I feel like devs get caught up too much in map balance and flow that they forget that sometimes the unconventional ones are most fun.

joeblow

Just so I don't assume, is there an option to disable the soundtrack altogether? I'm not a fan of that type of music.

joeblow

Heh, actually I haven't yet made up my mind which version to get... PS4 Pro for $40 or AMD 390 for $22. I'll play with randoms either way I suppose, and for co-op I don't have to use a kb/mouse setup (plus I have a Steam controller). Decisions, decisions.

Yeah, it's the most fun co op game I've ever played. Amazing feeling weapons, super tough enemies, a huge reliance on team play (but you can still survive with randoms, I always play with randoms tbh and I've finished almost all naps on hell on earth difficulty) and awesome gore. Also it's metal as fuck.

this is why I love this game so much

Fisty

Heh, actually I haven't yet made up my mind which version to get... PS4 Pro for $40 or AMD 390 for $22. I'll play with randoms either way I suppose, and for co-op I don't have to use a kb/mouse setup (plus I have a Steam controller). Decisions, decisions.

Gamestop has PS4 physical edition for $30 on Black Friday

Top Bottom