• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor launching on PC and PS4 on November 18

Nordicus

Someone say gore?

C5900BFE2197953F34757AC8564C75B3E1B6425D

http://i.imgur.com/AddrNng.mp4

OneUh8

About time. I loved the first game, but have been hesitant on getting this on early access. Will probably just wait for the winter sale to pick it up.

Looking over the patch notes- the game is getting a lot of the kinks worked out. I've installed/uninstalled it a bunch since launch. It's a lot of fun.

I think if I had one gripe- it'd be the lack of a co-op campaign. Sometimes the game at it's simplest is a bunch of dudes camping the same room for the duration of a match.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you haven't played in a while there is a BETA update out now for Steam that adds SWAT (new class) and a metric TON of perk changes. It is by far the best update they've had for this game ever.

Sounds are wayyyyyyy better, zed sounds are waaaaaaay better (Scrake and Fleshpound specifically). The game is finally starting to come together. There is way too many things to list.

Here is the patch notes for the update

They changed the UI up a bit as well.

My only complaint is not being able to iron sight all the guns. WHY TRIPWIRE, WHY!?

Sadly the best of it only works on NVIDIA cards :/

Not playing the way it's mean to be played. ;)

Mrbob

I played for awhile in early access, went away after they started adding micro transactions to an early access game. Did this situation ever get resolved?

TheSeks

I played for awhile in early access, went away after they started adding micro transactions to an early access game. Did this situation ever get resolved?

They're still there, they don't do anything (unlike Payday 2). You can craft the dupes or sell them. They're cosmetic. You get a "daily drop" now AFAIK. Otherwise: No, not really.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Looking over the patch notes- the game is getting a lot of the kinks worked out. I've installed/uninstalled it a bunch since launch. It's a lot of fun.

I think if I had one gripe- it'd be the lack of a co-op campaign. Sometimes the game at it's simplest is a bunch of dudes camping the same room for the duration of a match.

I know the 'Objective Mode' & maps are a planned feature down the line, but may not be in the game at launch. If you played KF1 after 2014 I believe is when they added an objective mode, which basically is the sort of thing you're looking for. Some even featured small stories. It is confirmed it will eventually appear in KF2 in the future, but not during Early Access phase I believe.

This being said, there are a few fanmade 'custom' objective mode maps available for KF2, but a bit rough around the edges as done through clever mapping rather than being designed for it. Some of my favorite maps in KF1 were the story/objective maps for the game, so I agree with the thirst for them.

Varg

Banned
Game looks gorgeous on pc. I have everything cranked up to max on my 1080 at 60fps. I'm sure they had to tone some things down for ps4 ( it's probably 30fps) but at least you get it I guess.

BHK3

Banned
It's pretty much horde mode right? Or are you trying to get from point a to point b?

Not left 4 dead. You have a map-arena, enemies run at you, don't die, repeat. There IS a versus mode where you play as the monsters against the human players.

Grief.exe

They're still there, they don't do anything (unlike Payday 2). You can craft the dupes or sell them. They're cosmetic. You get a "daily drop" now AFAIK. Otherwise: No, not really.

Seems largely irrelevant.

KF2 is heavily modified 3-3.5...? Pretty sure...no reason why they couldn't port it to 4 in a future update, though.

It's possible as other companies have ported to UE4 from 3. I guess it depends on how far they've modded UE3 at this point. They could have gone so far down that path that they've essentially created a proprietary engine.

Dusk Golem

Them making the game with Unreal 3 is intentional, as they have said in the past. Game is made to function on lower end machines, KF1 was developed on Unreal 2 for the same reason. Their philosophy is to build on the previous engine for broader support but mod specific things they need in.

Grief.exe

Them making the game with Unreal 3 is intentional, as they have said in the past. Game is made to function on lower end machines, KF1 was developed on Unreal 2 for the same reason. Their philosophy is to build on the previous engine for broader support but mod specific things they need in.

When this game began development UE4 didn't even have a retail release I believe.
Likely also went into that decision.

Dusk Golem

When this game began development UE4 didn't even have a retail release I believe.
Likely also went into that decision.
Was definitely part of it, I recall reading they had considered it, but opted to stick with 3 to keep the easily ability to run on lower ended machines, and since they were heavily modifying the engine, didn't want to scrap their progress.

They can lay claim to being one of the prettiest Unreal 3 games at least, though.

Grief.exe

Was definitely part of it, I recall reading they had considered it, but opted to stick with 3 to keep the easily ability to run on lower ended machines, and since they were heavily modifying the engine, didn't want to scrap their progress.

They can lay claim to being one of the prettiedt Unreal 3 games at least, though.

It seems like it would be a side grade at this point since the game really does look good.

Would be up to Tripwire whether it's worth the resources, or even possible.

Decado

Can be any number of players with 6 as a max, game scales difficulty some, enemy numbers, etc., based on the number of players.

Cool. Thanks.

I thought the community had a big hate-on for the dev after some changes over the last while? Slow progress, one step forward, two steps back type of thing...?

breadtruck

About time.

Sadly I have not much interest in it anymore. I bought it at the start of EA, and personally I felt the game has slowly gotten worse until I finally stopped playing it.

To me, the first game is better.

Maybe Ill give it a try again, but I dont think they changed it enough to bring the fun back.

Sini

Cool. Thanks.

I thought the community had a big hate-on for the dev after some changes over the last while? Slow progress, one step forward, two steps back type of thing...?

Devs have(had?) no idea what they are doing, especially balance wise.
Anti-fun changes like resistances system, ammo nerfs so you'll run out even faster, "It tested well internally!" excuses, perks that give like +10% damage that doesn't change any breakpoints, zeds teleporting around, not understanding that Hans (The end boss) was broken for ~half a year, lack of communication and much more.

But after the resistances system outcry they have pulled their heads out of their asses and have actually fixed and improved many of the long standing issues. They also have started interacting with community way more. Seems like it's actually going in right direction now.

Resistances system was crap like this:
Zed_StatsSheet_Siren.jpg

They released a beta for it, pushed it to live two days later while ignoring all feedback and left for E3. Now it's mostly scrapped though

About time.

Sadly I have not much interest in it anymore. I bought it at the start of EA, and personally I felt the game has slowly gotten worse until I finally stopped playing it.

To me, the first game is better.

Maybe Ill give it a try again, but I dont think they changed it enough to bring the fun back.

It's not there yet, but it could get close by release if they don't mess up again.

Yukinari

Ive played a ton of KF1 but avoided the 2nd one because it was early access and the devs were doing the dumbest shit with how they handled it. Maybe the next steam sale ill buy it?

nilbog21

Banned
One of the most underrated games out there currently. People are frustratingly bad at this game though, and just run around brainless with no consideration of their team. Definitely need to play with people you know for best experience

Nordicus

Devs have(had?) no idea what they are doing, especially balance wise.
Anti-fun changes like resistances system, ammo nerfs so you'll run out even faster, "It tested well internally!" excuses, perks that give like +10% damage that doesn't change any breakpoints, zeds teleporting around, not understanding that Hans (The end boss) was broken for ~half a year, lack of communication and much more.
How was he broken? If I were to guess, Hans' shield was unbreakable for the longest time and it was inevitable that he'd grab a player to heal himself?

After not playing for a month or two, going back to the game with a friend he said "Okay, break Hans' shield!" I went wait what?

One of the most underrated games out there currently. People are frustratingly bad at this game though, and just run around brainless with no consideration of their team. Definitely need to play with people you know for best experience
At the end of first or second wave, if after spending a bit of time near the trader, nobody has used their syringes to heal my damage, I know I'm in for a bad time. People start playing better above Normal tho.

Sini

How was he broken? If I were to guess, Hans' shield was unbreakable for the longest time and it was inevitable that he'd grab a player to heal himself?
Hans had "delete player" move where he could kill a full 150hp player in 2 seconds, even if you had medic on your butt he could still keep chaining his attacks and kill you.
PleasedEssentialGrassspider.gif

This combined with his non-stop onslaught and crazy hp pool made him a godawful boss. Some people even got used to leaving the game when the boss wave rolled Hans because it wasn't worth the effort.

Also the way to deal with his healing phase has always been and probably still is (haven't played for a long time) for someone to sacrifice themselves every time he needs to heal. Not worth to waste ammo on his shield when it's so rare to actually destroy it.

TheSeks

Also the way to deal with his healing phase has always been and probably still is (haven't played for a long time) for someone to sacrifice themselves every time he needs to heal. Now worth to waste ammo on his shield when it's so rare to actually destroy it.

That's been fixed. In a six player Hard-Normal you can basically shoot Hans's shield off in like 5 seconds flat. Suicidal and HoE are where you "hold my beer, I'm going to stage him" like normal IIRC.

Hans major problem was the guns + melee. If you were the last one alive, it took AN HOUR to kite him around the maps (if people weren't dumb and didn't wield the fucking doors) to win. That problem still hasn't been fixed and a dynamic sliding HP value for the course of the fight losing players/players being killed would help make the boss battles MUCH easier.

Top Bottom