• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

EazyB

Banned
dfyb said:
you hold it weird. if i wrap my whole hand around the grips like you, my thumbs outreach the stick easily, just like yours.

but instead of wrapping around it, i've always cradled it.
Yeah, that's how I've had to play as well, it's just that I'd much rather be able to hold the controller completely and firmly. Even then though, my thumbs still touch unless I continually slide them back when I push them into the center.

If the arms of the controller were just longer and wider it would help a ton.

TTP said:
Honestly, you are holding it oddly to say the least. I have never seen someone not using the top of thumbs to operate the sticks.
Yeah, like I said I don't actually play that way. That's just if I try to wrap my hands around the controller and lay my thumbs out relaxed as I do with the 360 controller. With the DS3 I have to cradle it while flexing my thumbs the entire time and sliding a lot to keep the sticks under the top of my thumbs. There just not an ergonomically comfortable way for me to hold the DS3 while the 360 controller feels like they came into my home, sedated me, and took a mold of my hands, and designed the controller perfect for me. I never gave much thought that the 360 controller would be uncomfortable for small hands but that may very well be the case and if so I hope there are alternatives for those people. There's no reason there can't be a controller for everyone on each system. I just want a solution for my and many others', judging by a lot of people's complaints, problems with the DS3.

NDVD_001.jpg

As you can see my thumbs don't need to do a damn thing to align perfectly with the analog stick :p

I'll probably have to get a 3rd party controller for this game. Triggers and sticks next to each other kill it for me in shooters.

Mega hyped though.
I've looked and there doesn't seem to be any 3rd party controllers made for bigger hands with motion sensing nor or locate the left thumbstick in the upper left. There's a few prototypes I've seen floating around but nothing easily attainable.

Full Recovery said:
Go buy the PS3 to 360 gamepad adapter, it's $40.

/discussion
Killzone requires the motion sensor so no go :(

I'll stop with the DS3 discussion to help get this thread back on track, but if anyone has any suggestions please PM me.

Truant

Full Recovery said:
Question is, who would win a thumb war?

Why don't you buy it and let us know. :D

I guess. It's only $40. That's basically nothing for a super wealthy Scandinavian such as myself.

Dante said:
I HATE playing with anything other than DS3's I have small hands, and I get cramps in my left thumb using the 360 controller. The layout of the DS3 sticks makes more ergonomic sense. Your thumbs are parallel and low, like the sticks on the DS3.

Yup. Same here.

I think the DS3 is a far more versatile controller, and is certainly better suited for shooters. From an ergonomic perspective, it's more comfortable for extended play sessions. The 360 pad hurts my hand after an hour or so.

There was an article posted here earlier that explained the reasons why, but essentially it boils down to this:

1. DS3 has a smaller "dead zone".

2. DS3 has less initial resistance when you push it, which allows for no 'spring action' to the way it feels. It's smooth and consistent.

3. 360 pad, in comparison, has a larger dead zone and higher level of resistance. The combination of these two factors leads to gamers 'overcompensating' their aiming movements. Happens all the time because it takes too much force to move the stick, and the force required from zero movement to full movement is variable (whereas, it's smooth on the DS3).

Not to mention the DPAD is infinitely superior in terms of location and actual usability. I absolutely hated switching weapons in Gears 1/2, but with Uncharted it's not much of a problem at all.

I used to be one of those people that 'preferred' the 360 pad for shooters...largely because I hadn't played any shooters extensively on the PS3 when it first launched (unlike the 360 pad which I had been using for Halo 2 and then Gears). However, once I got used to the DS3, it's a bit difficult going back to the 360 pad because it's simply not as ergonomic or functional for me.

Either way, I can play shooters on each system fine. I don't know why it's such a BIG issue on either side.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Every Hoffman post reads like a PR statement. Just throwing that out there.

>.>
<.<

Rez>You said:

>.>
<.<

Someone's catching feelings because I don't agree with the 1up horde mentality regarding the DS3...

Was this post really necessary?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rez>You said:

You can keep it next time. He makes a lot of sense. PR statements rarely do.

DoomGyver

Shadow780 said:
What happened to too gamey, or that has faded away already?
I heard that the game was so immersive and there was so many different things going on while you play that it could make it difficult to find a target.

Dante

Wow It's pretty clear who's got agenda's here.

jiggle said:
controller is the new AI?

:lol Pretty much, I remember a time when people used to troll Uncharted saying the "gun play looked boring" :lol :lol

nib95

Banned
WTF did this thread turn in to? A raging hand battle? Seriously... I'm seeing people with big hands hold the controller in retarded ways, and then I'm expected to feel sympathy for their difficulty in using the DS3?

To be fair, imo, if you can't play a fps because you are using [insert pad here], you probably suck at gaming in general (adaptability anyone?) and probably don't even deserve to play the said game. I mean come on...

It's not like one's a controller and the others a UFO. They are both fucking controllers, and still fairly similar. Hell I've used the most random tank like abominations of 3rd party controllers at people's houses in the past and have still done perfectly well.

In any case, lets just all agree that some people prefer the DS3 for shooters (or whatever genre), others the 360 pad and move on.

Schrade

Rez>You said:
Don't insult the queen bee, point taken.
Please, just leave the thread. You add nothing to it but more bickering.

Let us enjoy our animated GIFs, images and joy at the awesome game that is coming out. A shame you can't handle that it's only on a Playstation 3, big deal. Get over it.

Dante

Schrade said:
Please, just leave the thread. You add nothing to it but more bickering.

Let us enjoy our animated GIFs, images and joy at the awesome game that is coming out. A shame you can't handle that it's only on a Playstation 3, big deal. Get over it.

Thanks for saying what we all are thinking :)

Private Hoffman said:
Yup. Same here.

I think the DS3 is a far more versatile controller, and is certainly better suited for shooters. From an ergonomic perspective, it's more comfortable for extended play sessions. The 360 pad hurts my hand after an hour or so.

There was an article posted here earlier that explained the reasons why, but essentially it boils down to this:

1. DS3 has a smaller "dead zone".

2. DS3 has less initial resistance when you push it, which allows for no 'spring action' to the way it feels. It's smooth and consistent.

3. 360 pad, in comparison, has a larger dead zone and higher level of resistance. The combination of these two factors leads to gamers 'overcompensating' their aiming movements. Happens all the time because it takes too much force to move the stick, and the force required from zero movement to full movement is variable (whereas, it's smooth on the DS3).

Not to mention the DPAD is infinitely superior in terms of location and actual usability. I absolutely hated switching weapons in Gears 1/2, but with Uncharted it's not much of a problem at all.

I used to be one of those people that 'preferred' the 360 pad for shooters...largely because I hadn't played any shooters extensively on the PS3 when it first launched (unlike the 360 pad which I had been using for Halo 2 and then Gears). However, once I got used to the DS3, it's a bit difficult going back to the 360 pad because it's simply not as ergonomic or functional for me.

Either way, I can play shooters on each system fine. I don't know why it's such a BIG issue on either side.

yeah, i always preferred the 360 controller for shooters. but the last couple of months i've been playing my PS3 mostly. I played a lot of shooters on it. and i really have gotten used to the DS3 controller (gears 2 was the only 360 game now that i think of it..)

That Said... i really, really really prefer the 360 triggers and thumbstick layout.

Anyway, the DS3 controller will be just FINE for Killzone2. in fact.. i might buy another one just for the game, so i can make long wireless sessions ;P

DeZimatoR

Banned
Orobi said:
Lights, blood, textures, animations... everything is amazing!!!

334pzig.png

v3hhls.png

You guys are so caught up in your pointless dicussions about controllers that you ignored these completly awesome screenshots. =/

Seriously, just look at the first one! Look at that lighting! :O

<3 GG

P.S. Rez, didn't you say you were leaving the thread in the last page?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's a time and a place, and this thread wasn't it. Sorry for the derail.

Esch

Banned
I honestly don't like screens of Killzone much. I just don't think it translates that well into still frame that well.

http://i40.tinypic.com/23wmiwi.gif

In gifs though, like this... Unbelievable. I love how many dynamic lights there are, how light plays off your gun model, the way you move with each step. AFW.

EschatonDX said:
I honestly don't like screens of Killzone much. I just don't think it translates that well into still frame that well.

http://i40.tinypic.com/23wmiwi.gif

In gifs though, like this... Unbelievable. I love how many dynamic lights there are, how light plays off your gun model, the way you move with each step. AFW.

I agree.

The screens do no justice for this game.

In motion, everything comes alive. You just can't appreciate the work and attention to detail that went into the title from a mere screen grab.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I agree.

In motion, everything comes alive. You just can't appreciate the work and attention to detail that went into the title from a mere screen grab.
Yeah, lets hope that same attention to detail is applied to the gameplay and single player progression.

Only thing that can bring it down, since everything else seems amazing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What's the total play time looking to be based off of the impressions we've recieved so far?

nib95

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I agree.

Guerilla's offciial screens look crap. mainly because it seems to lack all effects and is never in first person view. But tonnes of the screens we on the GAF, or other outlets have taken are awesome. Especially those direct feed one's from GameReactor.

Play3-Live (I think?) had some awesome direct feed one's as well. Over 100 shots. But I guess Sony Ninja's descend and made them take em down. Which is a shame, as they were real showcase one's.

Esch

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I agree.

Well part of that imo is because the game's visual strengths are motion based. The blur, animations, effects and dynamic lighting are what make this game special, not texture/shader work. Although that's pretty good too.

Truant

~Kinggi~ said:
Yeah, lets hope that same attention to detail is applied to the gameplay and single player progression.

Only thing that can bring it down, since everything else seems amazing.

Oh, God, yes. I don't even play multiplayer. Reports are looking good, though.

Rez>You said:
What's the total play time looking to be based off of the impressions we've recieved so far?

It varies, but it seems to be around 7-9 hours from some of the people that have commented on this forum.

One person said he completely rushed through it on an easy setting in 6 hours...but he said he didn't stop for anything...he also said he beat MGS4 in like 7 or 8 hours his first run through (and it took me like 18 or more).

I would imagine it's probably about as long as Uncharted or Gears 2, which is a good length for me.

What captured me was how natural and fluid everything blended. I've been reading this thread months before I've was accepted. I don't care what Hoff does in other threads but in this one he deserve respect.

deepbrown

I must say that they've really upped the textures on the cover. The last time I played it looked pretty bad behind cover - really low-res. Now it looks great.

Truant

-Winnie- said:
Any reason for this? o-o
KZ2 multiplayer is a blast!

I don't know, it's a combination of bad experiences, lack of skills, and the love of engrossing single player experiences.

-Winnie-

Truant said:
I don't know, it's a combination of bad experiences, lack of skills, and the love of engrossing single player experiences.

Well, I reckon it's worth giving KZ2's multi a shot once you've finished the campaign. You might surprise yourself. :D

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Truant said:
Oh, God, yes. I don't even play multiplayer. Reports are looking good, though.

I never play shooters in MP either, but the KZ2 Beta got me hooked. Thát's the amount of awesomesauce it brings to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom