• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall | Full Forest level gameplay | Best looking game of show?

nib95

Banned
The pop-in looks way more noticeable this time around.

I'm expecting a downgrade from the reveal gameplay.

GG don't do downgrades lol. Only upgrades. They always leave final visual polish to the last few months. Just the way they organise their work flow.

mr_nothin

Banned
See that looks very impressive, but I fail to see what sets it apart from some of the other games at the show. Detail looks just as impressive in stuff like FFXV, as does the lighting. Animations looked more impressive in FFXV I would say, and effects looked probably more impressive. Plus we saw scenes where a lot more was going on. I mean I think it looks very good, but there were a number of games that impressed me more than the Division.

Day One Launch Title

Herman Hulst. I actually met the guy once in Amsterdam when Guerilla Games was not so popular yet. It is funny how every time I walk by their office almost every single day, I am a few meters way of KillZone Shadow Fall.

ibbtPU8I9YMhlr.gif

It does look very good, but my opinion stands. I think Killzone and Battlefield look better in motion.

I don't know why, but there's a quality to The Division that makes it seem like a really well lit and anti-aliased version of what we're already seeing. I'm sure that technically speaking, it's much more than that, but it's just what I think. It is also open world and multiplayer, though, which is pretty amazing.

Day One Launch Title

No, no, I was talking about the Division. Sure the first view of the bridge looked great, but during actual gameplay/fire fights, it looked about on par with most of the other good looking next gen games, bar a few like KZ, FFXV, MGSV, and Infamous which impressed me more.

mr_nothin

Banned
No, no, I was talking about the Division. Sure the first view of the bridge looked great, but during actual gameplay/fire fights, it looked about on par with most of the other good looking next gen games, bar a few like KZ, FFXV, MGSV, and Infamous which impressed me more.

Ah, gotcha!

Not a convincing forest at all, the vegetation just looks plain bad to me.
The city scene looked a lot better to me.

And yeah pop in out the wazoo

BatmanX

Didn't impress me at all. I'm not so thrilled by the environment first of all, kz always had his peculiar art direction and now seems so....generic.

Neither infamous second son impress me that much, the character design is annoying, really and the animations of the guy are a litlle sniff in my opinion. Still looking forward it because I simply love the franchise.

kevm3

Killzone 4 is focusing on scale it seems, so things look amazing when the camera is pulled back and you can see everything, but that comes at somewhat of a sacrifice when you are actually in the action. If the game took the smaller scale, more linear approach of KZ3, this game would look completely different... but I suppose it's as Guerilla said... it's more about using the additional power of ps4 for expanding gameplay.

Graphically it's impressive, but the "bigger" environments are too claustrophobic.

In the video shown, it makes the game look SOMEWHAT more tactical...but I'm guessing 99% of people will just run & gun like a traditionally linear shooter, and the game won't punish you for it.

I want tactics and depth from my shooters. When I was younger, the linear cinematic experiences captivated me, but as I get older and more experienced, you realise the amount of control and interactivity you have over...is very minimal.

Torrod

Neo Member
FFXV looked impressive to me, too. Killzone looks a bit, i don´t know, boring? Maybe its the level. Needs more particles ;)

Blinck

I think the gameplay at e3 was a big downgrade from the gameplay on the reveal.
A lot of shadow flickering problems and pop-in. The forest god-rays were also very exagerated.

Metro Last Light looks much better, as does The Division.

Krilekk

Banned
I got the exact opposite impression after watching it. Doesn't look impressive to me.

Pretty much. I was never a big fan of Killzone (first Halo, now Crysis for me) but aside from that it just looks too familiar. I don't see any jump over what we currently have, the sort of jump that you get when watching The Division footage. Or Battlefield 4. I think visually those two games are way beyond what Killzone 4 delivers. And BF 4 runs at 60 fps, it's simply amazing.

Bradach

The next Killzone will likely aim for 60, since GG will have more experience with the system and the rest of the shooters seem to be aiming for it now.

yeah, i've noticed a lot more talk about 60fps on console over the past few days. Good news. A solid 30fps is tolerable but 60fps is delicious (that's why i multiplat on PC where possible)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
as for pedestrian AI and dull gameplay - maybe they're demoing it in god mode or on easy so they don't keep dying? Main aim will be to show the levels off etc rather than how challenging it may or may not be.

It does look very good, but my opinion stands. I think Killzone and Battlefield look better in motion.

I don't know why, but there's a quality to The Division that makes it seem like a really well lit and anti-aliased version of what we're already seeing. I'm sure that technically speaking, it's much more than that, but it's just what I think. It is also open world and multiplayer, though, which is pretty amazing.

Division looks great but maybe it could receive a substantial downgrade like Watch_Dogs.

I was really impressed though when the Division intro swooped into gameplay perspective.

Pretty much. I was never a big fan of Killzone (first Halo, now Crysis for me) but aside from that it just looks too familiar. I don't see any jump over what we currently have, the sort of jump that you get when watching The Division footage. Or Battlefield 4. I think visually those two games are way beyond what Killzone 4 delivers. And BF 4 runs at 60 fps, it's simply amazing.

Personally, I think KZ looks as good as either, but at least to Divisions credit it is open world. Battlefield looks about as scripted and funneled as FFXIII. It really doesn't look more impressive to me at all. More realistic and gritty perhaps, but that is about it.

StevenPharma: Watch the most recent WD footage. There looks to be more aliasing than the initial reveal, but otherwise it looks just as good visually.

God those textures are horrendous.

How can people say this looks better than Battlefield ?

Textures look great it is just the motion blur that sometimes seems excessive.

Anyway, the draw distance is immense. You can see the whole city shown in the initial reveal spread out below you.

Dunno man the textures look pretty low rest in alot of the shots.

Might be a cross gen game.

That looks mighty low res compared to the other next gen games.

What exactly looks low res there? Looks pretty detailed to me. I think the bloom and motion blur often makes the texture detail hard to see.

Obviously it looks very nice which is good, although there were a couple of times where some of the lighting, which was otherwise great, got a bit blinding, BF3 flashlight style.

In terms of gameplay, it's interesting that the area is more open and objectives can be completed in any order, and the order you do it will affect the gameplay. Also the Owl (doesn't look like an Owl but I love the name) looks like it could affect gameplay in some interesting ways.

If there's a games bundle when the console is released I'll definitely get KZ:SF. In a perfect world I'd get Infamous: SS too but you can't have everything.

Character models. The letters on his neck are even hard to read.

Eh, looks fine to me. You could obtain such an unflattering shot from BF4 footage we have seen as well. Textures could be upped a bit I admit, but the original reveal of this game looked better than anything I have seen in BF4, and the environment looks much more impressive in scale and design to me.

Ricky_R

Eh, looks fine to me. You could obtain such an unflattering shot from BF4 footage we have seen as well. Textures could be upped a bit I admit, but the original reveal of this game looked better than anything I have seen in BF4, and the environment looks much more impressive in scale and design to me.

Don't mind him. He's just a troll who even got banned from N4G.

Thing is, games don't just use textures anymore. They use "shaders", with a texture being one part of the shader network. When i look at the KZ shot, you can actually tell what each bit of his suit is made of.

Worn leather shoulder straps. Plastic looking radio in a leather carrying case, with rubber wires running out of it. His chest-piece has a padded foam/nylon rim thingy along the top.

...and those shoulder pads, so rubbery!! Yum!
Here in BF the face looks great, with nice SS on the skin. The leather glove on the screen left character looks, okay. But the details...clips, hoses, belts, etc on his uniform all look like the same material. I wouldn't say there's any lack of textures in this shot, but it is clearly less visually descriptive.

With good shaders. You shouldn't have to use your imagination to know what things are made of.

PS: i am buying both of these awesome games!!

i-Lo

This is the kind of hyperbolic bullshit posts that reminds me why I put users on the IL in the first place. If only this were a Xbox exclusive...

Another hyperbolic bs post. Reason: Cherry picking and a lack of understanding of asset prioritizing. In motion you would have never seen what you would nitpicking through frame by frame of any game. That texture is truly low res, but it is one the few textures that I have seen to be low res and only noticeable in stills because in motion we will be seeing them for around a second as the camera zooms that close to the objects in questions.

th4tguy

To be fair, it's a launch title and they were only using 2 gigs of ram until Feb. May not be enough time to start reworking the textures to take advantage of more ram (one of the things that benefits the most from more ram). I'm sure a lot of stuff is locked in place as to not cause anything problems that would prevent it from shipping at launch.

MDSLKTR

This will be the first thing I play on my ps4. Absolutely loving how different the pacing and gameplay are.

alterno69

Banned
I'm sure it will be one of the best looking launch games come the fall, this is a day one for me along with FIFA and a third game i still have to decide

Did anyone actually see Division live?

I saw BF4 singleplayer at MS booth, and Killzone and Destiny (stage demo) at Sony's booth. I tried to get into the division ad Ubi's booth and they told me press only :( If you have a blue wrist band and get into the Sony area Killzone is playable. Unfortunately for the masses it is not. Forza and RYSE also looked amazing!

You're putting a BS up against compressed video and video captures. This is when you do exact like for like.

Division.jpg~original

kz1.jpg~original

Am I supposed to be impressed by pointy rocks? LOL Trees are actually quite sparse. Crysis 1 smokes it in that department. Not to mention level size.

All the pop-up in the videos doesn't help either.

Top Bottom