• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: NX "not merely" successor to "handheld" 3DS or "stationary console" Wii U

• Thread starter Deleted member 752119
  • Start date
"Another time this year"

nintndo will announce the NX at a tree house stream that is before e3! Come on folks! LETS GET THE TRAIN GOING!!!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What can the man say? They asked him a question. He repeated the only information he can relay at this time. It's not like he took out an ad just to tease people.

I would have honestly been happier with a, 'no comment' at this point.

The NX is an entirely new thing that has nothing to do with the established Wii/DS brands like Wii U and 3DS do.

I don't think that sentence says anything about it being a hybrid or not, just that NX is a clean slate for them

This is how I read it. Just that it's a new system, with new ideas, and isn't the next evolution of 3DS or Wii U. Like a clean slate or that they are moving in a different direction than the previous platforms.

Macka

Please let the handheld and console share the same game cards, allowing you to purchase just one system and play the entire Nintendo library.

How easy would it be for developers to design a game with this in mind? With the same games running at higher settings on the console compared to the handheld.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to be negative but all the news today give me the impression that Nintendo is going to be gimmicky again and drop the ball.

I do worry about that as well, as someone who disliked the Wii. But at the same time, they can't just put out a PS4/X1 clone as that won't sell either (see Gamecube). They're in a tough spot.

I'm just hoping whatever the gimmick is, that it still leads to most games playing traditionally with the "gimmick" just being something like being able to play all games at home or on the go. Be it a hybrid system or portable and console running the same games scaled up or down (like PC high setting on console, low or mid on portable).

Femto.

The NX is an entirely new thing that has nothing to do with the established Wii/DS brands like Wii U and 3DS do.

I don't think that sentence says anything about it being a hybrid or not, just that NX is a clean slate for them

I'm leaning towards this.

Press the reset button Nintendo.

NX is the QoL stuff that was talked a couple years ago.

NX IS NOT A GAMING CONSOLE. You heard it here first!

Also, it can play zelda only because the title has been changed to an endless treadmill runner. Hence the delays

tr1p1ex

IT's a way of saying it's something completely new and not a faster better 3ds or Wii U and that other systems may still be sold alongside it for awhile.

They said the same thing when the DS came out and the GBA was still on the market. They continued to sell the GBA for awhile. The micro-GBA even came out after the DS was released.

I think it also is aimed at telling customers that if you want the current platforms then buy them because they are not going to be directly replaced by the NX.

Patapwn

In my world the most ideal Nintendo device is one that is both a relatively high powered box (in that it can support the current 3rd party ecosystem) and sporting a controller that acts as the next handheld. You can play handheld and console games at home but then take the handheld on the go for a unified platform.

But that sounds far too expensive for Nintendo to execute properly.

Instro

I wouldn't read to much into anything they are saying. Whatever it is, I'm sure there will be some sort of hook.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
How does that read like hybrid? How?

"Not merely" the successor to the "portable 3DS" or "stationary console Wii U" to me implies that it will replace both. Rather than being two separate pieces of hardware that replace each individually.

The question is just how? Is it a true hybrid? Is it a bunch of different devices that play all the games scaled up or down automatically based on which hardware you have? Is it something else?

Who knows. I really wish they'd have at least announced the concept at E3. The longer the wait, the less I care and the more I just want to invest in Sony/MS with PSVR and upgrading to those new consoles rather than saving money for NX.

In any case, I'll only buy NX hardware that can play ALL their games. The Wii U and 3DS showed me that they don't put out enough that personally appeals to me when their output is split between two platforms. I don't care if it's a hybrid, or just that the console can run all the portables games (but not vice versa) as I'm done with portables. Nintendo just has to show me that whatever NX hardware I buy will have enough games that interest me to be worth a purchase after the Wii, Wii U and 3DS mostly disappointed me.

Ray Down

Banned
It's a box of BEES!

giphy.gif

THe fuck is he even saying

goddamit can we ban NX discussion till december?

Nintendo is friggin poison to my psyche right now

benedictm

Banned
It's a streaming service - they will sell a home box the games stream to and a handheld the games stream to. You will also be able to stream to PC/Mobile/Tablet. The 'catch' will be you ca only play the games with a nintendo controller paired to the device if its not the handheld.

The fits with the mobile culture of Japan and it means that speca are never an issue for the machine as its being rendered somewhere else.

Please let the handheld and console share the same game cards, allowing you to purchase just one system and play the entire Nintendo library.

How easy would it be for developers to design a game with this in mind? With the same games running at higher settings on the console compared to the handheld.

This would be a dream.

Teknoman

This is how I read it. Just that it's a new system, with new ideas, and isn't the next evolution of 3DS or Wii U. Like a clean slate or that they are moving in a different direction than the previous platforms.

Im fine with that. Its about time anyway. Especially since each system seems to be an evolution of sorts from the last, and then a new vision entirely afterwards.

pixelation

My spider sense is tingling... gimmick incoming... for pete's sake Nintendo, just give me a decently specced box with traditional controller input!!!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We know what he means already, NX is a shared platform that supports home and handheld form factors. Nintendo do not have the development ,use,e to support two distinct pieces of hardware anymore.

alpha69

Let's hope it doesn't end up something "different for the sake of being different".
Give me something normal with great JRPG's and I'll bite.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's a streaming service - they will sell a home box the games stream to and a handheld the games stream to. You will also be able to stream to PC/Mobile/Tablet. The 'catch' will be you ca only play the games with a nintendo controller paired to the device if its not the handheld.

The fits with the mobile culture of Japan and it means that speca are never an issue for the machine as its being rendered somewhere else.

I just don't think internet speed availability, and the existence of data caps (mines 300GB a month) are at a point to make that viable yet.

And I say that as someone who longs for that future as I'm tired of buying and selling physical games after beating, or pissing away money on digital games I can't resell. I'd much rather a streaming media future where I can just pay a monthly fee to play everything, or rent individual games to stream for a set period of time etc.

Teknoman

Dont you think developers would just take the cheap way out, and the system would just be in the same shape the Wii or WiiU was in power wise?

Crossbuy for Virtual Console / lower budget indie stuff is fine, but I really dont think the main focus should be universal support.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
So either were going to have a very expensive hybrid or a two underpowered devices...

Doesn't seem promising to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Neoxon

Awe crap you changed your avatar. How long ago was that lol. I had no idea.
When the Civil War hype train when into full swing. I'll probably switch back to Chris Pratt when get more Guardians Vol. 2 info.

On-topic, this may imply that the shared platform theory is indeed real (as Iwata alluded towards). But at the same time, the press release & Nintendo's Facebook page referred to a singular system, so I'm not 110% sure.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'm guessing on a 720p~ handheld with a micro-HDMI port, with unfortunately no BC.

Not a good guess, admittedly, but we know absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom