• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima thinks the Switch has the potential to reach Wii-like sales

Not really, the 3DS isn't going anywhere and they already confirmed they'll probably make a successor.

The DS was alive when the 3DS was launched but phased out and of course Kimishima will say that gell consider a successor but the reality is that nintendo is unable to support multiple platforms without third parties and third parties are not interested that much
Nope, it would be a loss if they generated less profit with their platform strategy in the long run.

Except they didn't.
ultimately of course they need to make a profit

Maybe if they started pumping out games for it and dropped the 3ds.

3ds only started taking off in the first place when games came out for it. Not sure what Nintendo's thinking.

They are releasing a lot of games this year and im sure they have unannounced stuff.

3DS on the contrary is not getting kuch beyond fire emblem, pikmin and ever oasis

tkscz

RB6KpG4.gif

Good luck with that, Nintendo.

I hate this GIF now because it's over used, but it pretty much explains how I feel about this. There is no way possible way the Switch can sell as well as the Wii, that is not happening again. Even then, the Wii was a one and done for most people. They bought a Wii, they played their dance and sports, and put it up forever. Nintendo really needs to let go of the Wii and realize it was a fad. They struck lightning with curiosity and now it's out of people's systems. You think they'd realized this from the Wii U, but nope, looks like they didn't.

Could be he's thinking of Switch as a product-line. Including future "Lite" and "Pro" revisions. There's certainly a lot of potential with the new arcitechture.

Does anybody know that this is what was actually said? It seems that Serkan Toto misinterpreted other information from the same article, as was already pointed out.

Hell, even Google Translate mentions come up with "the possibility of sales like the Wii". It doesn't sound much like an expectation to me. They certainly aren't claiming as much to investors.

Christ. Mistranslation for the friggin loss.

Kimishima indicated in an interview that he believes the Switch has the POTENTIAL to reach Wii-level sales, not that he expects it to.

Let the investors eat it up though.

Did not read all the posts so disregard if it has already been pointed out.

Shhh... You're interrupting all of the laughing gifs with your facts and reason.

Honestly, I completely agree with Kimishima here. Switch should sell pretty well, and I don't expect Wii like numbers right now, but it certainly is possible that it can reach that level somewhere along the line.

Also the OP sorely needs to be updated with this translation.

Interesting thing to note- there are quite a lot of parallels with the Wii Zelda hype and the Switch Zelda hype. BotW might actually sell around the level of TP!

WolfStark

Even if it's about possibility, it's delusional. 3DS 65 Million, Vita 15 Million, Wii U 15 Million. These combined are 95 Million units.

But:
1. They aren't killing the 3DS, the handheld market is still on the handhelds. The Switch is like the third quasi-handeld, while the fokus is still on the other two.

2. The prices are insane. The price of the console is enourmous, the price for the games jumped from 35-45 Euro two 60-70 Euro. And the prices for a simple controller is also way too high.

3. I think it's safe to say that a lot of Wii U owners have a 3DS, same with Vita and people bought the 3DS multiple times because of the New 3DS, so the number sure is lower then 95 Million units.
EDIT: I mean customers. So with 1 platform instead of three, you wouldn't sell 95 Million units.

All in all, there is simply no reason at all to even think about any number near to 100 million units, not even as a possibility.

Triteon

If everything aligns perfectly they can scale down, get real cheap, and it gets around the amount of software that the DS got. Maybe?

I mean i dont believe it for a minute. But then i thought the wii was dumb as hell and i thought they couldnt recover from the crappy release of the 3ds, history shows I know nothing.

maxcriden

Kimishima indicated in an interview that he believes the Switch has the POTENTIAL to reach Wii-level sales, not that he expects it to.

Thank you! Hopefully we can get a thread title change.

Jaymageck

Guy is so out of touch it blows my mind.

It could happen, but to expect it to happen, with no market evidence to suggest so, is a signal of incompetence.

EDIT aaaand it was a mistranslation.

I hate this GIF now because it's over used, but it pretty much explains how I feel about this. There is no way possible way the Switch can sell as well as the Wii, that is not happening again. Even then, the Wii was a one and done for most people. They bought a Wii, they played their dance and sports, and put it up forever. Nintendo really needs to let go of the Wii and realize it was a fad. They struck lightning with curiosity and now it's out of people's systems. You think they'd realized this from the Wii U, but nope, looks like they didn't.

Sigh, the Wii had a software/hardware ratio of 9, not 1 or 2. This myth must be put to rest and people clinging to this don't convince me of anything tbh.
I'm also sceptical that Switch will be as successful as the Wii, at least outside Japan. Japan itself however could be quite big: Wii sold 12.75 mill. lifetime over there while 3DS sits at 23 mill. at this moment. I don't think it is far-fetched to say that Switch will sell more in Japan within 3 years than Wii did life-time. Still not enough to be Wii numbers in total, the Japanese perspective really seems to skew Nintendo's outlook for the rest of the world imo.

Chinbo37

I can see it happening if all the stars line up for them. All depends on mainstream success.

Best wishes.

If by "stars" you mean 3rd party developers and if by "line up" you mean line up to make games.

This is not going to sell Wii numbers with just Nintendo making 3 to 4 games a year.

Those people are playing games on smartphones and tablets now. It's over. Let it go and for fuck's sake concentrate on the people who still give a damn.

Peltz

That, I'd actually agree with. The potential is there for a 100 million seller if the stars align, advertising is strong, the hardware gets multiple refreshes, casuals pick it up for parties, and pokemon makes a very huge splash on the system. But even then, it may only do N64 numbers.

KyleCross

2017 is a different time than 2006. Every kid learns to use a smartphone or a tablet before they even learn to walk now, they're not going to be distracted by a console anymore. Same goes for the old generation. The Wii hit during a very unique time and there's no recapturing that, at least not in this current era.

If by "stars" you mean 3rd party developers and if by "line up" you mean line up to make games.

This is not going to sell Wii numbers with just Nintendo making 3 to 4 games a year.

First off we have over 100 games announced for this console, the majority of them coming in 2017.

Secondly, there are already 8 Nintendo first party games announced for this year and we're over 4 months from E3.

tkscz

Franz Brötchen;229569658 said:
Sigh, the Wii had a software/hardware ratio of 9, not 1 or 2. This myth must be put to rest and people clinging to this don't convince me of anything tbh.
I'm also sceptical that Switch will be as successful as the Wii, at least outside Japan. Japan itself however could be quite big: Wii sold 12.75 mill. lifetime over there while 3DS sits at 23 mill. at this moment. I don't think it is far-fetched to say that Switch will sell more in Japan within 3 years than Wii did life-time. Still not enough to be Wii numbers in total, the Japanese perspective really seems to skew Nintendo's outlook for the rest of the world imo.

I was being facetious. The average person who bought a Wii still didn't play it that much and pretty much started using it as a Netflix box a year into buying it and it's sales slowed significantly two to three years in it's life. World wide sales were still about 105 million units sold however, and I can't see the Switch hitting that. It has WAY more hype for it than the Wii U did, but nowhere near what the Wii had.

Agalloch

I don't believe it, but .... what if Switch have a decent start and became the only Nintendo platform? With even all the portable software,like Pokemon,
and in 1-2 years also came out a Switch mini version, only portable without dock like at 199 €? who knows

Turrican3

The average person who bought a Wii still didn't play it that much and pretty much started using it as a Netflix box a year into buying it and it's sales slowed significantly two to three years in it's life.
And that's still not true, as the sales of games like NSMB or Wii Sports Resort clearly suggest.

But I guess people will never ever accept the idea of the Wii as a legit, successful platform.

Sulik2

Excuse me while I laugh so hard I cry. Nintendo's C level execs are completely and totally clueless. Their board needs to clean house and get in people who understand reality to run Nintendo.

Malakai

I was being facetious. The average person who bought a Wii still didn't play it that much and pretty much started using it as a Netflix box a year into buying it and it's sales slowed significantly two to three years in it's life. World wide sales were still about 105 million units sold however, and I can't see the Switch hitting that. It has WAY more hype for it than the Wii U did, but nowhere near what the Wii had.

Wii sales slowed during it second and third years of life? Are you joking?
There is chart a few post above yours that show this:

Look at the purple figure. That is slowing down? (The chart is missing figures from 2006 and 2007)

They have a chance of 50 million if they can get to $199 sooner than later and have a steady stream of software. I'm thinking they should be able to retain most of their wii U base plus 2/3 of their 3ds base which will come on board when the price drops.

tkscz

Look at the purple figure. That is slowing down? (The chart is missing figures from 2006 and 2007)

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Could've sworn it slowed down by 2011, but I guess not.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
^The Wii launched in 2006 so 2-3 years would been 2008, 2009.

It did start slowing down by 2011.

Yea it didnt slow down that quickly. lol

Off topic but damn at that PS3 uptick...PS3 is also the last console standing from last gen. Amazing considering how it started off.

I actually agree with Kimi. The Switch is like the real successor to the Wii with the controls. The Wii U Gamepad really shoulda been an accessory to a console named Wii 2 (or Switch). Especially seeing as how many already thought it was for the Wii..lol.

The basics:

For the Switch to sell 100 million, Nintendo first need to make 100 million units. We're getting just over 2 million for launch and I doubt that there'll even be 50 million available to buy after 1 year of launch.

They'd then need that same trajectory for both year 2 and year 3 to achieve those numbers.

ummm not sure where Nintendo said 50 million Switch units in the first 10 months (2017) was their goal...

This is confounded by Kimishima's constant insistence that the Switch isn't going to replace the 3DS and the successor talk.

If they put out 4DS or something like that, and that gets Pokemon, Monster Hunter et al, instead of the Switch, that will make 100 mil much less likely.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Honestly, I think it has potential to be huge. It's easy to develop for, the marketing has been great, the "gimmick" is actually practical and useful compared to the Wii / Wii U, and co-op out of the box is really compelling.

They need to get some great third party though. If they got an exclusive FROM Software game, and like... Idk, Rocket League and Overwatch... that could be really cool.

Astral Dog

Wii is one of the best selling systems ever made,but nobody expected it to sell well at the time.

I think Switch will fall down from 3DS

7roject28

It'll have strong numbers for sure. Since it's one unit now, the people who bought 3DS will buy it and the people who bought WiiU will buy it. Also this isn't totally a console where generally a console is 1 per house this will have more people per household buying it like it were a phone or tablet.

ChrisD

I think it's going to sell well, quite better than most on Gaf expect. But Wii numbers?

Come on Kimishima...

Yep.

There's a point where you're not just being optimistic. You're not just using market speak that the investors want to hear. You're just speaking crazy.

Top Bottom